Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts trade for DT DeForest Buckner

MTC

26 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Gordon needs a BOATLOAD of development.......

BUT I think he will be special, and will be the 4th or 5th best QB in this draft.....

3rd round pick......

A great coach said developmental prospects will get s scout fired.  A coach wants to know if he can play or not

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Superman said:

I was wondering about this, whether it was a true five year deal, or a five +1. Turns out it's a 4+1. He's on the 5th year option at $12.4m in 2020, plus four years $84m. So it's a total of five years, $96.4m, with a $19.3m/year average.

So his cap hit this year is 12.4? If that’s the case, I like this deal even better. And 19.4 is better than the 21 mil per that was reported

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Starting D line

Banagou.  Buckner. DJ Reader. Turay.

I can dream a littlr.

Houston?

2 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Top 10 D with a old bottom level O. Hope this finally fixes the Defense tho. Ballard has sure thrown a lot at that side of the ball. Hopefully he save a little for our putrid offense.

Actually we have one of the best O.Line's in the league and a very good rushing attack so our offense is far from putrid. We just have to upgrade the QB position and we will be fine. This was a great trade today, Buckner makes our defense much better. 

6 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Well im saying this cause I have seen this team trade for a high profile player before for a first rounder then a bunch on here said we got a steal and it quickly turned into a complete and utter flop.

Assuming you mean Richardson that is not the same scenario, but I get your point. But Richardson was NOT proven and there were people on here who weren't too excited about it and saw the concerns about some of if state like ypc. Buckner is much beloved by 49ers fan and he is certainly more proven than Trich. We definitely took on some big risks here, but the reward is reasonable compared to the height of the floor.

1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Well im saying this cause I have seen this team trade for a high profile player before for a first rounder then a bunch on here said we got a steal and it quickly turned into a complete and utter flop.

Everything's a risk....no question about it.

This indicates to me that Ballard may be skittish about Kinlaw's knee issue, and perhaps didn't think Derrick Brown would fall to #13...which is entirely possible.

Hey, I'm just happy that the DT position got seriously addressed....we really haven't had a game-in, game-out force at that position in ages.

1 minute ago, pacolts56 said:

This indicates to me that Ballard may be skittish about Kinlaw's knee issue, and perhaps didn't think Derrick Brown would fall to #13...which is entirely possible.

Hey, I'm just happy that the DT position got seriously addressed....we really haven't had a game-in, game-out force at that position in ages.

Was thinking the exact same thing.

17 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Alright.. big question is, who's wearing #99?

Buckner can go back to 44, his college number

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Buckner played 940+ snaps last season. You get your money's worth out of him.

Was going to say this while reading through. He also played over 1,100 his rookie year. He played something crazy like 70+ a game in college because of the Oregon offense. 

Oh, and he's missed one game in 8 years, is a great teammate and relentless. First move doesn't mean the end of the play. He's one of my favorite players ever for a lot of these reasons.  He has all the tools and is everything you want in the locker room. 

I wasn't sure what to think when I first read it. Steep price. But if you're going to spend, do it on an elite talent that is as dependable as they come at a position of need. 

14 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

It's being reported that this has been in the works since around the SB so I doubt it.  They had to have known this was a pretty sure thing.

First smoke signal  has been  sent 

New look defensive line:

Houston - Turay - Muhammad

Buckner 

Stewart

Autry - Banogu - Lewis

Autry takes over for Sheard at strong side defensive end with he and Lewis providing pass rush depth inside.

Need one more big body for DT to rotate with Stewart on running downs, short yardage and goal line....

1 minute ago, indykmj said:

So, did playing on a D-line with Armstead and Bosa make Buckner look better, did playing 

with Buckner make Bosa and Armstead look better or both ?

Guess we'll find out.

When DeFo showed up, Armstead was there and disappointing.  He's had 2 good years out of 5. DeFo has been really good since he stepped on the field for them, with his best season coming before Bosa. Collectively, plus Dee Ford made them elite. But Buckner was the best player on their line. Bosa may be better longterm but I promise this wasn't easy for them

12 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

New look defensive line:

Buckner 

Stewart

Autry - Banogu - Lewis

Autry takes over for Sheard at strong side defensive end with he and Lewis providing pass rush depth inside.

Need one more big body for DT to rotate with Stewart on running downs, short yardage and goal line....

Why would Autry start over Turay when he's not even a DE

Hello all,

I check this forum now and then when a Colts related interest peaks my mind, but never made an account, I had to make one today.

I am a hardcore 49ers fan and am SUPER bummed today. This fan would rather hand you back that 1st and keep Defo because he's the consummate professional and an absolute stud. 

Deforest Buckner was easily hands down emphatically one of my favorite 49ers. He was the only threat on our defense the last several years and still had an impact in most games.

You guys got one hell of a player and he's absolutely worth both the pick you guys gave up, and the contract he received. He plays hurt, he shows up when you need someone to make a play, he is an active leader with his fellow linemen if the offseason, awesome in the locker room, awesome in the community. He's everything you want your young DT to be and he is still that, young. If im a Colts fan today I am happy as hell, unlikely you guys would have drafted a better player at 13, no homer. You will see. 

13 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

New look defensive line:

Buckner 

Stewart

Autry - Banogu - Lewis

I think we'll see Turay start opposite Houston at some point this year. Keep in mind he was thought to be better vs the run than the pass coming into the league. 

We're already top 10 vs the run, so I'm good not taking another big NT. Stewart has been pretty darn good. If anything, I think you'll see Coley as NT#2 assuming they keep him around. 

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Autry and Buckner on the field at the same time a bunch (both as DTs). Buckner is a big boy and good vs the run.

24 minutes ago, indykmj said:

So, did playing on a D-line with Armstead and Bosa make Buckner look better, did playing 

with Buckner make Bosa and Armstead look better or both ?

Guess we'll find out.

I think Armstead benefited the most. Just my opinion, but he kind of came out of no where last year. All are good though.

49 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

and wouldn't it be nice now, if Tyquan Lewis would finally start to produce.

Well if they would quit trying to make him play inside. Lewis plays better on the outside from what I’ve seen.

10 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I think some people are upset with the trade because it takes away from their draft fun.

Well I think some people, like myself, saw the very high talent that was going to be available at the 13th overall pick. Mainly guys like Jerry Jeudy, Ceedee Lamb, Derrick Brown, and Javon Kinlaw. That's why I'm a bit disappointed we couldn't have gotten Buckner for a little less. 

9 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I just wonder if Chris Jones also could've been traded for and what he would have cost. Part of me also wonders if Ballard tried offering up our 34th overall and a filler before offering up something as valuable as the 13th overall pick. 

I believe @Superman already mentioned that the Chiefs placed the non-exclusive tag on Jones, so it would have been a minimum of two 1st rounders.

So unless you'd be willing to give up AT LEAST double what Ballard did to have Jones instead of Buckner...

drb.png

I love the trade. I think I initially got bummed because I get excited for day 1 of the draft and we won’t have a first round pick anymore, but it’s all okay! We got a terrific player to help solidify our d-line even more! With re-signing Castonzo as well, proves even more that Ballard is a man of his word to beef up the trenches. Great moves by Ballard overall so far. 49er fans are very upset after losing Buckner but ultimately knew it was a possibility because they’re in some salary cap problems. I really hope Turay can stay healthy this year. If he does, whew this is going to be exciting to watch!

39 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You don't start two 3 techs

No, but we did have two 3 techs on the field without a true NT at times.  I think we'll see even more of that with the addition of Buckner.

45 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Stewart? He's not a starter autry will be a starter

Stewart was getting over 50% of snaps by game 3 and starting at NT. He was 60-80% of snaps in 11 games,

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

No, but we did have two 3 techs on the field without a true NT at times.  I think we'll see even more of that with the addition of Buckner.

Yes, but mostly passing downs. You cant do that every down

49 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You don't start two 3 techs

Says who?

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Stewart was getting over 50% of snaps by game 3 and starting at NT. He was 60-80% of snaps in 11 games,

That was because of injuries and plus we didn't have al woods either

3 hours ago, Superfly said:

Not happening, as CB would virtually be replacing JB with JB. 

Bridgewater is quite a bit more athletic than JB, IMO.  Bridgewater runs a 40 in the 4.7 range compared to Brissett who is closer to 5 seconds.  Bridgewater also seems to be more accurate (Brissett has a 59.9% career completion percent, compared to Bridgewater who has a 65.2% completion rate -- if we gave Bridgewater a bit of improved weaponry at TE/WR with the time to throw that Brissett has, I'd assume Bridgewater could potentially be even more accurate).

2 hours ago, KB said:

PFF (well these three guys) says we lost the trade. They dont see interior defensive line as being worth that kind of draft capitol. Shows that we are in a win now mode.

Not sure we're in a win now mode.  Pretty much everyone on this board was in agreement before this trade that our 4 biggest needs (in no particular order) were QB, IDL, WR and pass rush - with some concern about TE and secondary.

Buckner greatly improves our IDL and pass rush, which should also improve our secondary.  A ton of mock drafts had us taking Kinlaw at 13.  Buckner's a more proven player without the injury concerns and he's still young with several years left at the prime of his career.  It's not like he's a 35 year old guy that has one year left in him.  He should have at least 5 years playing at a high level.  Ballard has said since day 1 that the games are won in the trenches and that he's obsessive about wanting a top OL and DL (we already have a top OL, now we're one step closer to having a very solid DL).  

Ballard has said for a long time now that this draft class is stacked at WR (https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/25/2020-nfl-draft-colts-wide-receivers-tremendous-depth/).  He says it in that article, but I think he said it dating back to early last season or maybe even last year's draft.  Anyway, I think it's pretty obvious that Ballard thinks we can get a very good WR in the 2nd round or later (maybe a couple of them).

Next year's draft class seemingly has better QB talent than this year.  To be honest, I think Burrow is the only lock in this draft.  With all the scouting Reich/Ballard/Dodds have done at the QB position, I think it's kind of obvious they either didn't think any QB in this draft that would be available was worth the 13th pick, or they think they can get a solid QB later in the draft.

I think most teams in the NFL want to 'win now', but I don't think us trading for a 26 year old All Pro at arguably the most important position on our defense, which was also the most glaring weakness on our defense means Ballard or Reich are hitting the panic button.  This move certainly still allows for our team to keep improving for years to come.

1 hour ago, deedub75 said:

He fills a big need but this almost seems like a ‘one player away’ type of trade. 

I think everyone would agree that IDL was our most obvious weakness on D last year.  As I stated above, a lot of people had us taking Brown (who likely won't be there) or Kinlaw (who has knee concerns) at 13.  Instead, we got a guy who is just entering his prime in the NFL, who has already proven he's All Pro caliber.  I understand people's concerns about his salary, but that's what is needed to be spent on all pros, and we have plenty of cap space still available.  Sure, this move should make us instantly better.. but I don't see it as a 'one player away' type of trade... chances are we would've used that 13th pick on an IDL anyway.

1 hour ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Richardson (assuming this is who you meant) wasn't even a 1,000 yard rusher before we traded for him, let alone an All Pro or Pro Bowler.  He was a product of a ridiculously loaded college system at Alabama and for that reason he was over-hyped and over-rated.  He was said to have a very poor work ethic (and showed it by showing up to camps fat and out of shape).

Buckner, aside from the national championships, was also a First Team All-American in college.  He's said to have a tremendous work ethic.  He's accomplished a lot more than T-Rich ever did in the NFL.  

Maybe you're talking about someone different, but to compare T-Rich to Buckner at the NFL level is not a very good comparison.

39 minutes ago, CR91 said:

On pass downs, but Stewart and Buckner will most likely be the starters

Assuming we stay healthy, our DL should be pretty deep (and I won't be shocked if we add another piece).  Banogu was known to be a project player when we drafted him.  He showed signs of being very athletic and talented (just raw) similar to what Turay did as a rookie (who was also a guy we expected would take time to develop).  Turay really came on strong last year before getting hurt.  I expect Banogu to make a similar jump.  

If fully healthy, I think we'll see a frequently rotated DL depending on situations.  I assume Buckner will be a starter and mainly a 3 down guy, but otherwise, I think the DL will rotate enough that we won't truly have 'starters' at the other positions, with the rotation changing based on specific situations.

21 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Why would Autry start over Turay when he's not even a DE

I doubt we'll move Autry back to DE... but he was a DE for Oakland.  We signed him as a DE and converted him to IDL.  I think he can play anywhere on the line if needed.

Archived