Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts trade for DT DeForest Buckner

MTC

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

well..... I gonna guess the Niners weren't going to trade Buckner for the 34th. 

There is no one in this draft besides Chase Young or Burrows that is a better pick up than Buckner.   If he were in the draft this yr he would the #1 rated prospect.

Not sure how anyone can complain about this pick .  It is Ballard and staff once again outsmarting the rest of the league .  Colts will move to top 10ish on D with just this move.  More is coming on D . and we will be a top 5 D this yr

Top 10 D with a old bottom level O. Hope this finally fixes the Defense tho. Ballard has sure thrown a lot at that side of the ball. Hopefully he save a little for our putrid offense.

2 hours ago, Holden89 said:

The amount that this will help Leonard and Walker can't be understated either.  Buckner will demand a double team.

Compared to other NFL DT's over the past 2 years, Buckner has 125 tackles (2nd most), 18.5 sacks (3rd most) and has commanded 482 double teams (6th most).  It should really help the other DL and everyone behind him (that interior pressure will force the ball out of opposing QBs faster making the secondary's job easier, eating up extra linemen will allow Houston and Turay to avoid double teams, should allow for us to blitz up the middle more consistently in turn helping the LBs, etc.).

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry, but no.    We don’t play the defense where the DL try to slow the OL to allow the LB’s to run free and make plays.    That’s an entirely different defense.   That’s more typical of a 3-4 defense. 

We ask the DL to penetrate quickly and make plays and blow up the offense.  Completely different responsibilities. 

I get where your reply suggests our 4-3 defense doesn't rely as much on DL to take pressure off other positions as a 3-4 base... but the guy has commanded the 6th most double teams in the NFL over the past two years.  It's going to make everyone's job easier.  

We saw some creative blitz packages last year bring LBs or secondary guys up the middle.  Having a guy commanding double teams is going to make those blitzes a lot more efficient.  It also takes a ton of pressure off the other DL.  He's going to help everyone on this defense out.

1 hour ago, JohnnyGringo said:

Absolutely love this trade. Also, this means Rivers is a lock. Drafting a DT at 13 is exactly what Ballard would have done and DTs take a few years to develop, time Rivers doesn’t have. Star DT power will help all the defensive players we’ve drafted over the last 2 years and the ability to see if Hooker is the player we hoped. We are officially in a 2 year win now window. If you don’t know much about Buckner just go to a 49er forum and see how upset they are about losing him. 

I think we're always in a 'win now' mode with Ballard and Reich leading the ship.  That said, I don't think Ballard is building this team to tank after 2 years... he has acquired a lot of young talent, including Buckner.... this team should be competing for AFC South titles (and hopefully superbowls) for years to come.

55 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Also, if he requires a double team that leaves one less OLineman to get on a LB.

Yes... even though our D isn't built like the typical 3-4 D which really demands IDL to eat up blockers to free other players... any time a guy in the middle of the DL is commanding double teams, it's going to help everyone behind him.

8 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

Be careful mentioning Jalen Hurts . Even though he has some of the best measurables in the draft, when I mentioned this I got bashed.

I will once again predict we either sign a FA like Rivers or Floes and keep JB as the backup, Or we are rolling with JB and giving him weapons, like a WR and a better RB.

Not sure that we need a better RB.  Mack showed last year that if he is healthy he can be a 1,200-1,500 back fairly easily behind our OL.  He's also a fairly good receiver.  

I think we're really just starting to figure out how to use Hines and Wilkins is also a solid backup.  

39 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

I cannot tell you what a relief this is!  I always hoped the Colts would go DT or WR at 13.  I guess they felt a proven veteran all pro was a better deal.  Now I don't have to hear about overrated QBs like Jordan Love or Justin Herbert anymore. My hope now is the Colts get Nick Foles or Phillips Rivers, draft a WR at top of 2nd, and draft Jake Fromm or Anthony Gordon as a developmental QB.  But please no Jacoby Brissett!

Nick foles is more overrated  than any qb in nfl

2 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Top 10 D with a old bottom level O. Hope this finally fixes the Defense tho. Ballard has sure thrown a lot at that side of the ball. Hopefully he save a little for our putrid offense.

Keep in mind we had some major injury issues on the O last year (Funchess missing 15.5 games, Campbell missing a load of time, TY missing games and being noticeably hobbled in many games he played, Ebron missing a significant chunk of time).  I don't think our O is putrid, it just needs to be healthy.

2 minutes ago, CantBeStopped said:

I'd really be upset if Bridgewater is our answer at the QB position. I hated this trade to start out but I'm coming around to it. Damn good player let's hope he lives up to this contract and draft price

I wouldn't be upset with Bridgewater.  He's proven he's a winning QB.  Ballard is building a monster defense.  That's a big deal.  I think we could win the SB with Bridgewater and a great defense.  JMO. 

Just now, CurBeatElite said:

Keep in mind we had some major injury issues on the O last year (Funchess missing 15.5 games, Campbell missing a load of time, TY missing games and being noticeably hobbled in many games he played, Ebron missing a significant chunk of time).  I don't think our O is putrid, it just needs to be healthy.

I think we want to do less of those exotic blitzes this year.   We had to last year because we weren’t getting enough pressure from our front four.   I heard Ballard talk about this in the off-season.

He wants the front four to provide the pressure so the back seven can play pass protection behind them.   

18 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I hate it because  we traded the 13th pick. If it had been the 34th or next years first I'd feel different.  Now if Buckner sucks Ballard  will be crucified  like grigson  for trading  a first  for trent Richardson. 

I mean in reality he's damned if he does or doesn't do anything.

I honestly have come to the conclusion not to worry about what guys get paid. They start by being the highest paid and by year 2 or 3 they're middle of the pack.

I'm definitely excited because it's a great investment on the D line. Proves he saw what we did with the struggles on D.

On paper this is a huge move, whether it works out is anybody's guess.

Rest assured if he somehow flops our fanbase will have their 'I knew it when we signed him he'd suck' flags flying regardless.

I myself am definitely happy, trenches is what helps you win games in this league. 

10 minutes ago, CantBeStopped said:

I'd really be upset if Bridgewater is our answer at the QB position. I hated this trade to start out but I'm coming around to it. Damn good player let's hope he lives up to this contract and draft price

Not happening, as CB would virtually be replacing JB with JB. 

1 minute ago, CurBeatElite said:

Terrible QB play and a non existent #2 threat, with an aging wr that’s has battled injuries lately and basically a TE that’s just a possession guy. This offense needs a playmaker, or we’re going to see the re-enactment of 2019’s offense power house. Hopefully this finally fixes the D. There’s been a bunch of high picks that haven’t worked out. Hopefully this one does, so we can address other holes that been on this roster for 3-4 years now.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He wants the front four to provide the pressure so the back seven can play pass protection behind them.  

he wants that 9ers defensive line. Who doesn’t? We are a healthy Turay and an improved Banagou from being pretty dangerous... Kind of wild. I’m still buying what Ballard’s selling. Offensive line talent and continuity (going into 3rd year together as a unit).  Defensive line explosiveness. Get some playmakers on offense, and under center and we’ll be cooking.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think we want to do less of those exotic blitzes this year.   We had to last year because we weren’t getting enough pressure from our front four.   I heard Ballard talk about this in the off-season.

That makes sense... and if Buckner can command double teams and put interior pressure on the opposing QB/RB, it helps everyone behind him out.  I don't think we'll see exotic blitzes go away entirely, but even if they're used slightly less, it's going to really boost the back 7 of the D by allowing them to stay in coverage (for less time) or react to run plays better.

7 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Not sure that we need a better RB.  Mack showed last year that if he is healthy he can be a 1,200-1,500 back fairly easily behind our OL.  He's also a fairly good receiver.  

I think we're really just starting to figure out how to use Hines and Wilkins is also a solid backup.  

IF he is healthy.  He has missed 10 games in 3 yrs . Not a good track record.

He is a liability receiving,   he is not a good receiver, he's not even an average receiver 

1 minute ago, IinD said:

I mean in reality he's damned if he does or doesn't do anything.

I honestly have come to the conclusion not to worry about what guys get paid. They start by being the highest paid and by year 2 or 3 they're middle of the pack.

I'm definitely excited because it's a great investment on the D line. Proves he saw what we did with the struggles on D.

On paper this is a huge move, whether it works out is anybody's guess.

Rest assured if he somehow flops our fanbase will have their 'I knew it when we signed him he'd suck' flags flying regardless.

I myself am definitely happy, trenches is what helps you win games in this league. 

Well I did feel Dt was the biggest  need  besides  qb and wr, but this move probably  puts us more in win now  mode. If we had Luck  I would have loved it much better,  but if Brissett, Rivers,  or foles start I'm not so sure

1 minute ago, WifiGuy said:

He is a liability receiving,   he is not a good receiver, he's not even an average receiver 

I think Mack has one more year with us and then we either Tag him, or let him walk.    Deals done the last few days/weeks I think have made Mack a $9-10 mill a year RB.   Doubt Ballard wants to sign him to a multi-year contract at those type of numbers.

So ‘20 and maybe ‘21 and then I think we move on to another RB.   Life is often not fair in the NFL. 

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

Well I did feel Dt was the biggest  need  besides  qb and wr, but this move probably  puts us more in win now  mode. If we had Luck  I would have loved it much better,  but if Brissett, Rivers,  or foles start I'm not so sure

I get it, but we gotta try to win somehow. Can't be waiting around for an Andrew or Peyton type to come save us.

We've become one of those teams that has to win as a team. No Batman to bail us out. 

Adding real talent is a good thing, we should enjoy this move.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I think Mack has one more year with us and then we either Tag him, or let him walk.    Deals done the last few days/weeks I think have made Mack a $9-10 mill a year RB.   Doubt Ballard wants to sign him to a multi-year contract at those type of numbers.

So ‘20 and maybe ‘21 and then I think we move on to another RB.   Life is often not fair in the NFL. 

Probably right, but Miami has the 26 and needs a RB .   Couple of other teams,  I could see him packaged to move up.    and the colts have had visits with multiple RB's in the draft.  

2 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

Last year he started 14 games, which is the healthiest he has been.  Hopefully he can keep that up or improve on that number.  Hines is our receiving back and I think the coaching staff is just starting to figure out how to use him and how dangerous he can be.  I don't consider Mack a liablity as a receiver, he's not asked to do it much and that's not his designated role in this offense... but he can catch OK and he does fine with yards after the catch.  I could be wrong, but IMO, upgrading the WR corps and TE position is a much bigger concern than the RB position.

3 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Terrible QB play and a non existent #2 threat, with an aging wr that’s has battled injuries lately and basically a TE that’s just a possession guy. This offense needs a playmaker, or we’re going to see the re-enactment of 2019’s offense power house. Hopefully this finally fixes the D. There’s been a bunch of high picks that haven’t worked out. Hopefully this one does, so we can address other holes that been on this roster for 3-4 years now.

Not a 'bunch of high picks' since Ballard's been here haven't worked out.  

Hooker, for the most part, has been solid for us (Ballard's first draft pick in Indy).  His first draft was his worst draft, though Hooker, Mack, and Walker have all worked out pretty good for us, with Grover Stewart seemingly starting to find his way in the NFL.  Q. Wilson has been up and down (mostly down, but his 2nd  year he showed flashes of being able to be a pretty darn good NFL player), then Basham and Banner (3rd and 4th round picks) have done OK on other teams (not sure if 3rd and 4th round picks are 'high picks', but 2 or 3 players who haven't worked out isn't a 'bunch.'

Year 2, Ballard got first team all-pros with his 1st two picks.  He got a very solid starting guard with his 3rd pick (Smith).  Turay was turning it on last year, and if healthy has shown no signs of being a bust.  Lewis leaves much to be desired, but Ballard's already said this year is his make or break.  Then he did OK with the 4th round and later picks.

Year 3, too early to tell.. but Ya-Sin should be just fine (he had a few growing pains as a rookie, but he's going to be OK more likely than not), Banogu was a project pick and he showed signs of improvement as his rookie year developed, Campbell showed signs of being a very solid playmaker but couldn't stay healthy.... then our 3rd and 4th round picks played very well as rookies.

Overall, Ballard's been a very solid drafter since taking over this organization.  Grigson, not so much... but that was an old regime.

Houston Autry Buckner Turay

This will make our secondary very, very, very happy.  Autry could explode with a stud next to him, and Turay was starting to cook.  Thank goodness we got a crucial defender instead of a rookie QB nobody is excited about with the #13.

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Don't like this at all especially since we gave up our 13th overall pick. I would've thought we could've made this deal for 34. We could have gotten someone like Kinlaw or possibly even Brown on a cheaper contract than Buckner at 13. 

I think Ballard could have possibly gotten Chris Jones for a little less. This move seems a bit desperate to me. Now I think it's safe to say we all have very high expectations of Bucker making this DL great. 

So you'd rather have Kinlaw and some money than Buckner?

And remember, it's not Kinlaw or Buckner, it's a chance at Kinlaw or Buckner for sure

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Haha. Ballard just traded a mid-1st round pick (something many said he would never do) AND gave that player a monster contract (another thing many said he wouldn't do). 

The QB talk is just getting heated up. Ballard is now unpredictable...who knows what he will do now. Future picks are absolutely in play. 

This shouldn't have been unpredictable. Anyone who understands how Ballard thinks shouldn't be too surprised. 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard is following the KC model. Get the team built up before finding that QB. Now maybe he finds that Qb in Gordon or moves back into the first for Love. But when you have a very good team it’s so much easier for a young QB to come in and have success sooner.

Agree I like Gordon!

5 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

So you'd rather have Kinlaw and some money than Buckner?

And remember, it's not Kinlaw or Buckner, it's a chance at Kinlaw or Buckner for sure

No wasn't  a kinlaw fan after I found out about knee and brown wasn't  going to be there. Guess no point in watching  first night of draft.  On another  note I'm shocked  at texans trading  hopkins

3 hours ago, Architects08 said:

I like it a lot. I was wanting a DT at 13 anyway. Now we have a young pro bowl caliber DT. Plus we wont be taking Jordan Love Lol. 

Yes!  A complete win....unless Jerk Love lasts until #34 and Ballard has a weak moment.

Now all we need to do is get something for Jake Brisket and send him packing....along with Hoyer.

Rivers/Kelly would be great along with a developmental QB like Jacob Eason.

1 minute ago, CanuckColt said:

Yes!  A complete win....unless Jerk Love lasts until #34 and Ballard has a weak moment.

Now all we need to do is get something for Jake Brisket and send him packing....along with Hoyer.

Rivers/Kelly would be great along with a developmental QB like Jacob Eason.

Jerk Love? Auto correct? There has been nothing to imply he is a jerk

1 hour ago, boo2202 said:

Win now mode?? Going to take a QB and added skill positions to enter that mode. JB, old Ty, Slow Doyle is not win now mode. Much more needs to be done.

I believe if we got Rivers we could be 11-5 and make it to conf. With Ballard using a 13th pick on a trade that shows that he is trying to get really good right now. And all we need is a good QB. Even Brady would work.
      I think Ballard will try to draft a QB next year with the hopes of placing him on a team that is already making it to the playoffs each year. Like Mahomes and Alex Smith. 

For those of you who are upset you didn’t pay attention to Ballards press conference in February. His glaring mistake was not getting a replacement for Al Woods on the DLine. This pick was going for a defensive player regardless. We still haven’t be given a confirmation from the Colts about this. If true getting a young player is a great move. Also this isn’t a Richardson trade. Trent couldn’t see holes in the gaps. Also think when they took away the ability to lower the head while diving for RB’s killed him. Didn’t matter if a hole wasn’t open. He almost got 1000 yards as a rookie and he missed games. 

1 hour ago, Coltscrazy said:

This will make our secondary very, very, very happy.  Autry could explode with a stud next to him, and Turay was starting to cook.  Thank goodness we got a crucial defender instead of a rookie QB nobody is excited about with the #13.

Looks good...except Turay only plays half a season.

19 minutes ago, Coltscrazy said:

We would get destroyed in the run game. I think we should resign Sheard and our d line would look like, 

Sheard Buckner Stewart Houston/turay 

Maybe on third down bring out turay and Houston and bench Sheard. 
And let Banogu come in a lot to have a full rotation of Sheard turay Houston and Banogu at the DE spot. 

Archived