Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Andrew Luck play in the first regular season game?

Myles

Will Andrew Luck play in the first regular season game?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Will Andrew Luck play in the first regular season game?

No..... With CB "questioning" his readiness for week 1; that is Ballard speak for week 3 or 4 at best.  Ballard is a genius at building a team.  But he is very poor as the face of the Colts.  This is yet another time he has been caught being less then truthful and misleading fans.  Maybe they need to let him do the team building and bring Peyton in to work and deal with the media and actual injury updates.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I hope so but do not think he will.

I think he will. so I voted yes. Even in the aftermath of yesterday and Monday, I don't think Luck himself would still be doing walk thrus and throwing with the 1s if he wasn't close.  Luck himself has said numerous times that if this was a regular season game, he'd be playing. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I say no. and my guess is an extended absence beyond week 1. 

I'm afraid of that.  

Almost puts a knot in my stomach thinking about it.   Going from a possible Superbowl run to maybe missing the playoffs is tough.    

However, there is still hope that he will play in the first game and throughout the whole season.   

Chris has created competition at position except QB. With this looking more and more like a long lost season (JB is not that good). I think it is a very good time to spend a high draft pick on a QB in this next draft. That will do two things. Give the Colts stability at the QB position whether Luck is there or not. Take the pressure off of Luck. The body can only take so many hits. And unfortunately Chris (no fault to him) may have been a little too late in building a team around him. The team is here. But Luck may be damage beyond repair (once this is repaired, something else is wrong or broken every year it’s something different). 

JB is a 3rd QB at best. PW is not any better. With those two and no Andrew. The Colts  will be picking in the top 5 in the next draft easy

• Like 1

Luck is reportedly throwing and doing walk throughs with the offense.  Last year he was hardly hit with our new OL.  That's a plus.  Reich's offense has him getting rid of the ball earlier.  That's also a plus.  With three weeks to go and with more rest and rehab and if our OL is healthy and ready to start then I can see him starting game one.  He has already said the pain he is feeling would not prevent him from starting the season.  A lot of healing can take place in three weeks. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, JR Indy said:

Chris has created competition at position except QB. With this looking more and more like a long lost season (JB is not that good). I think it is a very good time to spend a high draft pick on a QB in this next draft. That will do two things. Give the Colts stability at the QB position whether Luck is there or not. Take the pressure off of Luck. The body can only take so many hits. And unfortunately Chris (no fault to him) may have been a little too late in building a team around him. The team is here. But Luck may be damage beyond repair (once this is repaired, something else is wrong or broken every year it’s something different). 

JB is a 3rd QB at best. PW is not any better. With those two and no Andrew. The Colts  will be picking in the top 5 in the next draft easy

The part here about being a little to late building around Luck I think is very accurate. That is why there is pressure to win a SB soon. Luck isn’t getting younger and with all these injuries who knows If he will retire early. It would be really sad to have to start over with this team and a young QB when we are so close.

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The part here about being a little to late building around Luck I think is very accurate. That is why there is pressure to win a SB soon. Luck isn’t getting younger and with all these injuries who knows If he will retire early. It would be really sad to have to start over with this team and a young QB when we are so close.

True, every Colts fan knows this. They are just one good healthy QB from a Super bowl run. Luck is good but he is not healthy. PW, and JB are healthy but they are not that good. With this schedule the Colts need to average at least 28 a game to have a chance. And our backup QB’s don’t have 28 points in them at all. More like 275 yards and 2 to 3 interceptions per game (practice will attest to that). The Colts season this year hedges on the health of Andrew bottom line

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CoachLite said:

Predictions about what will happen in the future are only loosely connected to what actually happens in the future (if at all). The only way to see what actually happens is to stick around and find out.

Well that takes the fun out of a poll.    

It's interesting to see where people fall on this.   Neither answer can be proved correct yet.      

If I am following this correctly...

If the ankle injury was present back in March/May...but went undiagnosed...and he's been basically resting since then for the calf injury (other than a couple days of practice)...then what can we realistically expect three more weeks of rest to do? 

Or did the ankle get aggravated in camp because of the calf injury? If that is how it happened...after months of rest...then again...what is three weeks expected to do? The risk for re-injury will be incredibly high anyways...and no way they let him play without practicing for a week or two without pain.

If it is indeed cumulative...then that sounds like a different thing altogether. Is there a long-term solution (even though they initially ruled out surgery)? If it's about managing pain...they haven't been able to manage it after several months.

It's very concerning. I haven't really speculated on it yet...but I think playing in September might be a long shot at this point. We'll see though. 

• Like 4

Sup Colts nation, haven't been on this forum in awhile. Just chiming in my two cents as the regular season is creeping up. 

My opinion: I'm more on the optimistic side. Luck should be back by week 1 if he really wants to be out there. But, in all likelihood, he'll probably come back by week 3. Luck still have to get reps in and link up with WRs. I really like our team this year. Other than the QB situation, our team is loaded at all the right places. I'm pretty confident we will go 11-5 with or without Luck.   

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

If I am following this correctly...

If the ankle injury was present back in March/May...but went undiagnosed...and he's been basically resting since then for the calf injury (other than a couple days of practice)...then what can we realistically expect three more weeks of rest to do? 

Or did the ankle get aggravated in camp because of the calf injury? If that is how it happened...after months of rest...then again...what is three weeks expected to do? The risk for re-injury will be incredibly high anyways...and no way they let him play without practicing for a week or two without pain.

If it is indeed cumulative...then that sounds like a different thing altogether. Is there a long-term solution (even though they initially ruled out surgery)? If it's about managing pain...they haven't been able to manage it after several months.

It's very concerning. I haven't really speculated on it yet...but I think playing in September might be a long shot at this point. We'll see though. 

I agree with you. I don’t think he plays week one. I think he is really trying to get healthy And I can see that this is really bothering him. 

I think they should shut Luck down and see what is the issue and fix it. Because he really stands a chance of creating way more health issues than he currently has if he tries to play on it 

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

That's where maybe my optimistic view is getting the best of me. I assume Luck has been very open about the pain level he's dealing with, based on what he and Reich have been saying, and based on Luck's comments about how he learned from the shoulder issue.

He's been complaining about pain for months now. Don't know if it's been worse lately, but indications are that it's been a lingering issue since at least March, maybe before, and the precaution was out of a desire to see the issue go away, rather than have him endure the pain all season.

But even with that pain -- assuming it hasn't gotten worse recently -- Luck has indicated that it's not so severe that he couldn't play through it. So even if the next three weeks don't result in any improvement, it's possible that he could be able to play on it, as is. 

If they recalibrate their expectations -- going from 'let's wait until he's pain free' to 'can he play through the pain and protect himself from further injury?' -- it might be possible that Luck plays, even with some pain in the leg.

• Like 4

My vote made it 27/27.

I feel like if there was a third option that was just the  :dunno:  emoji, it would have gotten the overriding majority of votes...  :funny:

It seems like there's just not enough evidence to make an educated guess either way, so this poll is basically "Who are the optimists and who are the pessimists?"  :thinking:

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

I dont see how a little calf thing holds him out. A thousand times yes he is playing. 

It has always been a lot more than the calf strain.....unfortunately the fans are being lead down the "He'll be fine and ready to go" road again...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, James Harden said:

Sup Colts nation, haven't been on this forum in awhile. Just chiming in my two cents as the regular season is creeping up. 

My opinion: I'm more on the optimistic side. Luck should be back by week 1 if he really wants to be out there. But, in all likelihood, he'll probably come back by week 3. Luck still have to get reps in and link up with WRs. I really like our team this year. Other than the QB situation, our team is loaded at all the right places. I'm pretty confident we will go 11-5 with or without Luck.   

I agree with a lot of what you say, but 11-5 without Luck isn't happening, unless they shut out most of the teams they play.....  Brissett is terrible and so is Walker.  Kelly may be serviceable.  We better have a top 5 running game if Luck is out, otherwise 8 - 8 may be the best we could do.

• Like 2

I'm hoping he plays.  The last time the Colts opened their season here in So Cal was against the Rams in 2017 were my wife and I bought tickets to watch Luck and the Colts play against the Rams.  This was before the surgery and during the pre-season they kept saying Luck will start.  Well, they started Tolzien and we lost to the Rams 9-46.  To make long story short, I hope they don't lead us to believe he will start and come first game of the season he's not.  Looking forward to going to the game.  The Chargers are a good team and I will tough to match up against them if Luck doesn't play.

1 minute ago, Old Colt said:

I agree with a lot of what you say, but 11-5 without Luck isn't happening, unless they shut out most of the teams they play.....  Brissett is terrible and so is Walker.  Kelly may be serviceable.  We better have a top 5 running game if Luck is out, otherwise 8 - 8 may be the best we could do.

Brissett isn't "terrible", but he is a significant downgrade from Luck.   I would pick the team being under .500 in the games Luck misses.