Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Matt Goncalves OT

Thought there was good chance of OL in day D.

Very minimal to move up. 6th rounder 

Sitting here with one 4th and three 5ths, we could still trade back up tonight,or to top of 4th tomorrow.

Just now, w87r said:

Thought there was good chance of OL in day D.

Very minimal to move up. 6th rounder 

Sitting here with one 4th and three 5ths, we could still trade back up tonight,or to top of 4th tomorrow.

I’d like to see a trade back up and grab another player today

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Draft people seemed to really like him.  Had a toe injury that cost him most of this season.  Felt he would have been a second round pick without the injury.  Can play LT and RT.

Not what I heard.  Short arms and better suited for guard.  

Just now, danlhart87 said:

Hes prob moving to RG to take over Fries if he leaves next year

Sounds like he can play any spot but center.  Perfect depth guy who if he had second round talent without his injury can push Fries for the RG spot or if Smith has another injury filled season maybe be an insurance plan at RT.

1 minute ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Solid pick!   Man, I’m really liking this draft so far. This guy can play both tackle spots and guard. He is a great addition as depth and may even compete for a starting spot soon enough 

No question Ballard has maximized value so far,  he’s gotten a guy who should have gone higher than he did with every pick so far.

• Like 3

Fries is a free agent after the season so he could earn a starting spot after this season.

Just now, IndyEV said:

Meh, no nothing on this guy! Still got some good db depth Colts needed to take there! So far im 0% on Dr Ts contest as usual!

Colts have enough young DB’s. They are probably going to sign a couple vets after the draft.

• Like 1

Just now, IndyEV said:

Meh, no nothing on this guy! Still got some good db depth Colts needed to take there! So far im 0% on Dr Ts contest as usual!

Some need to realize Ballard wasn’t lying when he said he liked the secondary.  I get why fans don’t but it’s pretty clear Ballard doesn’t see it as the major need fans do.

• Like 5

Walter Football:

Leading up to the 2023 season, it was well-known in the scouting community that the 2024 NFL Draft looked like it had the potential to be an excellent year to land an offensive tackle prospect. Goncalves was one of the tackles who was viewed as having the potential to be a pick in the top of the 2024 NFL Draft after a good 2022 season blocking for Pittsburgh. Goncalves had started at left and right tackle for the Panthers and looked like a good candidate to be a right tackle or guard at the pro level. In September of 2023, a leg injury caused Goncalves to have season-ending surgery.

• Like 1

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

I’m lukewarm on this one. Would have preferred a CB or safety.

I really like Tampa he is falling, maybe lasts until next round for us at this point. We may bring in Justin Simmons at Safety after draft is complete.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Some need to realize Ballard wasn’t lying when he said he liked the secondary.  I get why fans don’t but it’s pretty clear Ballard doesn’t see it as the major need fans do.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we have had serious talks with Diggs, Simmons, or a veteran corner & that is our plan. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Hes prob moving to RG to take over Fries if he leaves next year

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Fries is a free agent after the season so he could earn a starting spot after this season.Blaming Spider-Man GIF

CBS Ports Chris Trapasso gave the pick a grade of A

‘Has the frame to stick on the edge in the NFL," he said. "Impressive athlete for his size and makes a concerted effort to sink the pad level to not get out leveraged at the point of attack. Better in pass pro than for the run right now but the traits and nastiness shine."

• Like 1

6'6" 330. Most reports agree he is very good in pass protection. Can play LT or RT  I like the pick.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2024/03/03/matt-goncalves-elevated-game-battles-star-pitt-dl/

...He’s a big (6-foot-6, 330 pounds) offensive lineman, with experience at left and right tackle, who bided his time in Pittsburgh to emerge as a team captain and starting left tackle in the 2023 season. Unfortunately, his senior season was cut short due to injury. He started all three games he played in last season, filling the crucial left tackle pivot, and he was expected to break out even further after a strong 2022 season.

Goncalves earned third-team All-ACC honors in 2022, taking 830 snaps last season, which only trailed fellow lineman Jake Kradel offensively, and he flashed the ability to play on either side of the line in the process.

He finished his career with appearances in 35 games (making 21 starts dating back to 2020), and his size and versatility should entice NFL personnel looking for a potential starting-caliber offensive lineman down the line.

He earned a 71.9 PFF offensive grade in 2022, with 76.2 in pass blocking and a 67.2 in run blocking, in 830 snaps — starting all 13 games last season. According to PFF, he didn’t allow a sack while allowing five quarterback hits and 12 quarterback hurries. In 165 snaps last season, he allowed just four pressures, three hurries and no sacks...

• Like 1