Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Matt Goncalves OT

I've been suggesting for weeks that the right side of the oline needed to be stabilized, even with a late first round pick if all of the pick 15 choices were gone.  I was wanting  OT Kiran Ahmedejie at 82 but CHI took him about 5 picks before us.  Ballard moved up 3 spots to get Gonclaves.   Hopefully, the best 5 olineman start in 2024, no matter at what positions along the right side.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I've been suggesting for weeks that the right side of the oline needed to be stabilized, even with a late first round pick if all of the pick 15 choices were gone.  I was wanting  OT Kiran Ahmedejie at 82 but CHI took him about 5 picks before us.  Ballard moved up 3 spots to get Gonclaves.   Hopefully, the best 5 olineman start in 2024, no matter at what positions along the right side.

Hopefully we can put him in for Fries in short yardage. He isn't athletic enough to play T and would be a limited G.  We needed to move back up ~ _into the 2nd a good ways. 

47 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Picking olineman is never exciting.

I was really excited when the Colts took Anthony Castonzo, when they took Ryan Kelly, and ecstatic when they took Quenton Nelson!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

ESPN’S Steve Muench had Goncalves being drafted at the end of the 2nd round by Chiefs. 

31 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I personally had him as a 4th round pick because of the toe injury and a lack of playing time his final year. He has some risk factor to me. However, I'm perfectly fine taking him in the 3rd with the combination of O-Lineman going quickly, and the lack of depth of them throughout the rest of the draft. This is an instance where I'm glad everyone else is higher on him than me when we make the pick. Ballard wanted him, and he got his guy. That's better than settling for someone because you got sniped. 

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

Steelers QB Wilson

Steelers WR Wilson

Steelers LB Wilson

Labrador Retriever Dog GIF

That's what my Sasha and Elsa looked like when they were puppies! :) 

36 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Another medical case? I mean as a backup I’m good with it but as a starter, I’d be worried 

Wasn’t it just a toe?  I mean, how can one be so worried because of a hurt toe?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Ehh Tampa and Wilson were both still on the board.  Can Goncalves play guard? Are they planning on kicking him inside to RG? 

He can play all O-line spots except center.  It really is a good pick.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Another medical case? I mean as a backup I’m good with it but as a starter, I’d be worried 

Most players that make it to the NFL have had some kind of injury that is a “concern” around draft time because teams look at EVERYTHING.  

In this case he hurt his toe and had surgery on it and it will be fine.  It was an injury it happens.  That’s nothing to be concerned about.  What you want to avoid are guys who are constantly getting hurt and missing time with multiple injuries.  None of the guys the Colts have drafted so far fit that mold.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, twfish said:

I’m curious where he would sit at as a OG instead of OT

In run blocking he would be similar to Fries in that with a little angle he can do a good job getting push. Fries is over matched trying to drive block because he isn't a bender. This guy isn't a bender but carries maybe 15 more lbs.

Gonc has been very successful as a pass blocker. If he can get some push in short yardage of which we desperately could use improvement at RG, and he proves an upgrade in pass pro over Fries, then yippee. To get that improvement this year in the 3rd round would be a real plus.

According to him his big toe injury was serious. Said he was 85-90% at his pro day and had only started training 3 weeks before. The 19 reps seemed to be a personal best. Yikes!

He had 21 college starts in 39 games. He was crossed trained and played LT, RT, LG, RG. This was from our new oline coach. 

A big plus, and he apparently is very quick off the snap. 

He is big but not so light on his "toe", so I believe he would get humbled playing tackle. I doubt worse than Freeland was last season so...

I'm impressed with his demeanor, and he is consider tough. 

I give this pick a B.  Pray for the toe!! :goodluck: :applause: :colts:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

In run blocking he would be similar to Fries in that with a little angle he can do a good job getting push. Fries is over matched trying to drive block because he isn't a bender. This guy isn't a bender but carries maybe 15 more lbs.

Gonc has been very successful as a pass blocker. If he can get some push in short yardage of which we desperately could use improvement at RG, and he proves an upgrade in pass pro over Fries, then yippee. To get that improvement this year in the 3rd round would be a real plus.

According to him his big toe injury was serious. Said he was 85-90% at his pro day and had only started training 3 weeks before. The 19 reps seemed to be a personal best. Yikes!

He had 21 college starts in 39 games. He was crossed trained and played LT, RT, LG, RG. This was from our new oline coach. 

A big plus, and he apparently is very quick off the snap. 

He is big but not so quick, so I believe he would get humbled playing tackle. I doubt worse than Freeland was last season so...

I'm impressed with his demeanor, and he is consider tough. 

I give this pick a B.  Pray for the toe!! :goodluck: :applause: :colts:

Agreed

Freeland will come back 10-15 lbs stronger (I believe) 

I view him as our next man up at Tackle

This kid will grow as well, possibly taking the RG spot in the future

Great pick up

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ve never heard of this website.  Why would it have any credibility with you?   What did you see that makes you say “look terrible”. ???  

I go to NFL Draft Buzz all the time.  It's an interesting place to find alternative assessments, rather than the cookie-cutter truncated stuff you see all the time elsewhere.  And I like their graphic presentation of player stats.

And what they said about Goncalves is a combination of what a lot of people have been saying.  He's stout, has leadership, and is steady.  But he's also got short arms and needs to get stronger.  He can play outside, but probably needs to play inside.  He had an injury his senior year that limits his exposure for evaluation.  He may not be a pro bowler, but he's a guy you'll want next to you in battle.  He's a rascal.  I'm gonna watch for him in camp.  Gonna be interesting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I like the pick. I don’t really know much film wise but I like adding a solid Oline depth in mid rounds. I like his size and athleticism. Plus he seems to have a great attitude and ready to work. Keeping a good Oline will be vital to protecting and developing AR. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I go to NFL Draft Buzz all the time.  It's an interesting place to find alternative assessments, rather than the cookie-cutter truncated stuff you see all the time elsewhere.  And I like their graphic presentation of player stats.

And what they said about Goncalves is a combination of what a lot of people have been saying.  He's stout, has leadership, and is steady.  But he's also got short arms and needs to get stronger.  He can play outside, but probably needs to play inside.  He had an injury his senior year that limits his exposure for evaluation.  He may not be a pro bowler, but he's a guy you'll want next to you in battle.  He's a rascal.  I'm gonna watch for him in camp.  Gonna be interesting.

I also frequent this site, have a window open all draft actually.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I do too, I actually just like their easily viewable set-up.

Easily viewable profiles while in a mock draft, use the Jimmy Johnson trade chart, so trades are more realistic.

As far as grades, so many out there, it's just an additional reference

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ve never heard of this website.  Why would it have any credibility with you?   What did you see that makes you say “look terrible”. ???  

They have his measurables and what percentile they are in.

His weren't overly impressive.

I like the pick, not everything is about top measurables 

2 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

I also frequent this site, have a window open all draft actually.

Same here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Hopefully we can put him in for Fries in short yardage. He isn't athletic enough to play T and would be a limited G.  We needed to move back up ~ _into the 2nd a good ways. 

Amadedjie was taken a few picks before.  Ballard saw the need to trade up even 3 spots to take Gonc.  I think Ballard sees him as something more than a short yardage player.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It really doesn't have any credibility with me tbh. I had him as a 4th round guy with the risk, and a 3rd round guy if fully healthy that can play 4 out of the 5 positions. I'm aware of this site, I generally never use it. Just shocked how much it bashes Goncalves. 

10 hours ago, DougDew said:

Bebe was just a few spots ahead also. We sacrificed two higher upsides to get our new oline coach his guy. Oh well! As long as we end up with an upgrade to good ol Will we take the win.

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Agreed

Freeland will come back 10-15 lbs stronger (I believe) 

I view him as our next man up at Tackle

This kid will grow as well, possibly taking the RG spot in the future

Great pick up

Hopefully Freeland is hanging with Raimann pounding Ramen and an abundance of iron. :strong: 

• Like 1

We’ve got decent depth now in the oline. Freeland, Goncalves, French, Pinter, Sills, Witt. Happy enough to have young guys as backup, with some having potential to develop into starters. Ballard has struggled to sign quality veteran FA linemen, with maybe the exception of Slauson in his first year.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I use Draft Buzz. They show a lot of data, and I love the sorting features.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Hopefully Freeland is hanging with Raimann pounding Ramen and an abundance of iron. :strong: 

Pizza, beer and wings will make you gain weight. 

It always makes me gain weight 

• Like 1