OL Matt Slauson visiting Colts Tuesday

Virtuoso80

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From the link provided in the report: Slauson, 32, is a former sixth-round pick of the Jets back in 2009. Then he went to the Bears in 2013. Then the Chargers. Last year he played in 7 games with the Chargers and then went to IR.

Slauson: A 32-year old lineman coming off of IR. Ranked 53rd guard out of 78.

43 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Hold it....I thought FA was over, we can't protect Luck, and we weren't spending any money. 

Sorry, just had to. 

We won't offer enough and he will sign with a division rival, or the Pats.

Sorry, well you know the rest.

He's 32 and coming off an injured year. However,  I'm in the minority because I wouldn't mind this signing at all. Great locker room leader that has started every game he's played in for 3 different teams. He was also a team captain. I read an article where Anthony Lynn was stating how much they where going to miss him last year when he got hurt and that he was like a coach in the O-line room. IF (a big IF) they are healthy Id be happy to see Indy sign him and Mewhort to team friendly deals to compete.

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

The #Chargers signed C Mike Pouncey to a 2-year deal worth $15M... and get a hard-nosed leader along with it.

I known the forum was split on Pouncey but I would have liked him based on his versatility. The chargers did what we used to:

made a player a solid market offer to stop stop him from taking his other visits and sign on the dotted line before leaving. 

Sadly another opportunity that we didnt even get to lose out on lol 

2 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Hold it....I thought FA was over, we can't protect Luck, and we weren't spending any money. 

Sorry, just had to. 

Are you thumping your chest over this mediocre free agent candidate?  Ballard is scraping the bottom of the barrel with his free agent targets this offseason.

From Greg Rosenthal at NFL.com....

Worst free-agency deals: 

Practically every big-ticket offensive line signing: Supply and demand was a problem for teams in need of offensive linemen. The market forced the Giants to pay Nate Solder starting quarterback money despite Solder never having made a Pro Bowl. It forced the Browns to give Chris Hubbard, a super sub in Pittsburgh, quality starter money.

The Bucs made Ryan Jensen the highest-paid center in football despite him making all of 16 starts at center in his career, all in 2017. (The Ravens never viewed Jensen as more than a backup in his five seasons, elevating him to a starter only because of injuries.) Former Giants Weston Richburg and Justin Pugh were both paid like stars despite serious injury concerns.

Some of these moves will work out, but history says that most will not. Offensive lines are mysterious beasts, with coaching, cohesion and continuity often playing a bigger role than talent. Teams are essentially paying a premium in free agency for failing to draft and develop linemen, ponying up exorbitant prices for players that previous teams believed were expendable."

2 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

From Greg Rosenthal at NFL.com....

Worst free-agency deals: 

Practically every big-ticket offensive line signing: Supply and demand was a problem for teams in need of offensive linemen. The market forced the Giants to pay Nate Solder starting quarterback money despite Solder never having made a Pro Bowl. It forced the Browns to give Chris Hubbard, a super sub in Pittsburgh, quality starter money.

The Bucs made Ryan Jensen the highest-paid center in football despite him making all of 16 starts at center in his career, all in 2017. (The Ravens never viewed Jensen as more than a backup in his five seasons, elevating him to a starter only because of injuries.) Former Giants Weston Richburg and Justin Pugh were both paid like stars despite serious injury concerns.

Some of these moves will work out, but history says that most will not. Offensive lines are mysterious beasts, with coaching, cohesion and continuity often playing a bigger role than talent. Teams are essentially paying a premium in free agency for failing to draft and develop linemen, ponying up exorbitant prices for players that previous teams believed were expendable."

The Bucs made Jensen the highest paid Center in the league? Dear lord.

Also, I still want us to bring back Mewhort on a 1 year deal. If he wants (or is able) to play

1 hour ago, jchandler7 said:

He's 32 and coming off an injured year. However,  I'm in the minority because I wouldn't mind this signing at all. Great locker room leader that has started every game he's played in for 3 different teams. He was also a team captain. I read an article where Anthony Lynn was stating how much they where going to miss him last year when he got hurt and that he was like a coach in the O-line room. IF (a big IF) they are healthy Id be happy to see Indy sign him and Mewhort to team friendly deals to compete.

He was good for the Bears when he was healthy

1 hour ago, TomDiggs said:

I known the forum was split on Pouncey but I would have liked him based on his versatility. The chargers did what we used to:

made a player a solid market offer to stop stop him from taking his other visits and sign on the dotted line before leaving. 

Sadly another opportunity that we didnt even get to lose out on lol 

I highly doubt he was going anywhere he couldn't be the starting center.

2 minutes ago, CopenhagenColt said:

Nothing against Slauson, but this is pretty bland.

"Better than nothing" seems to be the rationale here.

It's a bridge/stopgap/competition option... Nothing wrong with it if it's cheap.