Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McDaniels rejects Colts.

RealityIsLuck

4 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

I think it's career suicide in this sense, first he completely destroyed his credibility (likely).  Now he has to step in for the best NFL coach of all time in a town that will not accept losses.  Where before, he was taking over for Pagano and one of the worst records in football.  It would have been hard for him to screw up.  Maybe we were convincing ourselves that he was "it" even though we all had a bad taste in our mouths from the Denver situation.  This could be a God-send.

If he wasnt totally sold on coming here......we're better off without him

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, ricker182 said:

I'll hop aboard. Didn't know he was open to leaving Philly, but I guess he could be.

That's kinda why I think it won't happen.

This isn't exactly a perfect opportunity at the moment. Asst's are already hired, some of them at least, and whoever comes here knows he's the 2nd option (and the whole world knows it too).

I will be honest with you. As much as I like John Harbaugh, we may need some more changes in Baltimore. I will be jealous if you guys get Reich. Philly coaches seem to do well. Harbaugh was special teams coach with the Eagles before coming to Baltimore. The history of NE assistants is not very good. 

8 minutes ago, indy1888 said:

Maybe not from Mcdaniels, but i think Kraft had this planned out from the beginning and probably was never truly worried about him leaving. He let this thing go as far it could go before finally stepping in and "sweeting" a deal to keep him.  I seen a report somewhere that McDaniels indicated that if the Pats had presented this opportunity earlier he wouldn't have pursued other jobs.  Kraft knew he was in serious talks all along with the Colts but waits until the night before to try and keep him?  This was Kraft sticking one to the Colts. Simple as that.  He let this thing go as along as it could knowing all along he was going to present him a deal he couldnt refuse.

yes, there is a "flagrant foul" odor coming from the direction of Boston.  Is the wind blowing in from the east today?

1 minute ago, Fluke_33 said:

I think there are issues with not having a signed contract but they may have equity arguments as well but most of all we are not talking about what laws or rights limit our courts.  They will be heard by the league which as we have seen can meter out damages as it sees fit.  I’m not saying it will happen but it may be an avenue for the colts. 

It doesn't hurt to ask...but if you separate the 2 teams involved here ( I understand that's difficult) and just view it as an issue between 2 NFC teams, you are left with an assistant coach who entertained a head coaching offer, waffled on it, then said no and returned to the job he already had. I've done this myself in life...I went through 3 interviews and got a job offer from a company, then my existing company which I really enjoyed, stepped up and made me an offer I couldn't refuse...so I said no to the other company. I felt badly about it, but ultimately I made the right call for me and my family and that's really all that matters. You can't start punishing people for that.

25 minutes ago, MJ2770 said:

Unbelievable...put us in a tough spot. Probably the Pats plan all along.

Hoping for Pete Carmichael (Saints OC), offense ranked first in yardage 5 of last 10 seasons

Without question. 

Now I hope we take Chubb so he can smack Brady in the mouth. 

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

We're talking about two different things.

1) The timing and impact on the Colts. In every way that matters, this is just like Belichick and the Jets. There's no reason to dig into the nitty gritty and minutiae, this is the same situation, the Colts are just as blindsided as the Jets were, etc. McDaniels was calling potential assistants, who have now signed contracts with the Colts, as late as this morning. He screwed us, plain and simple.

2) The league's stance on this. We don't know what will happen. It's seems obvious that McDaniels hadn't signed an actual contract. And in the Jets case, Belichick was under contract, and the end result was the Jets traded him to the Pats (for all intents and purposes) for draft picks. Clean resolution to a messy situation.

Since McDaniels was not officially a Colts employee, it's possible the resolution to this messy situation won't be as clean as it was back then. But you better believe the Colts are filing a grievance, and I'm pretty sure they'll have the support of the majority of the other owners in the league. They were irreparably harmed by McDaniels actions, and the Patriots facilitated that harm by swooping in at the last minute, when they had over a month to discuss a plan to retain McDaniels.

I think you can also count on the league not wanting to see one team hang another team out to dry like this.

I don't know what will happen, but if you think it's as simple as 'he wasn't officially signed,' I think you're being naive.

Yes I agree with your that the situations are the same with respect to each organizations being surprised by the change in their head coach prospects/line of succession and the timing of the same. 

To your point #2, I too agree that something might be in the works with the NFL regardless of no contract.  Not so sure it would come from the Pats directly, but perhaps a compensatory pick given to the Colts would be in order to make up for relying on the promise that Josh was going to be the coach of the Colts. 

2 minutes ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

On the bright side, it would have been worse if he did sign then quits next year the minute BB retires .

Also if he has been promised the job after BB retires, is that against the Rooney rule??

He couldn't quit and then coach the pats.   He would be under contract here.  The pats would have to trade for him

7 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Sure. 

LOL :D

I actually said I did not like the guy and I don't think he is the right guy for the Colts? 

But sure.... Whatever you need to tell yourself. 

Yeah that's all you said and exactly like that... come on. Anyone who has been in a thread with you knows better.  Your posts are regularly arrogant and condescending,  and you are now doubling down on that attitude. 

1 minute ago, chrisfarley said:

yes, there is a "flagrant foul" odor coming from the direction of Boston.  Is the wind blowing in from east today?

I would love to see you guys get a great coach like Reich and stick it to New England. I’m still sore how they cheated with deflategate and then blamed the Ravens and the Colts. What McDaniels did to you guys today didn’t sit well with me. 

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I might not sure why they have to wait but it also isn’t for a HC job...I don’t think anyone can deny someone a promotional interview which would be for Reich.

There are NFL rules that say cannot interview until after season ends.

Fro Philadelphia, that is Valentines day.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/2/6/16979958/schefter-vikings-cant-interview-john-defilippo-until-valentines-day

7 minutes ago, snkdy said:

I see your point, but I will feel badly for those families if that's the course we take. I just think that Ballard will want to ensure those jobs for the coaches who made an agreement in good faith.

but it's a disjointed situation at best.  A head coach wants to have control over he coaching staff... it's just a bad thing waiting to happen.  Maybe just pay them for their contracts and make Boston pay for it, then let them go.

I firmly believe this was not meant to be, and it is for the better. And so much for the guy being a changed man. A Romanian proverb  says “Lupul schimbă părul dar năravul ba” , meaning “A wolf may shed his hair but not his habit”.

I’m happy that the Colts are going to be free of the Patriots stigma.

Colts fans, we need something that defines the Colts as organization, an identity to be proud, like we had during the great Peyton Manning years.

I now hate the Patriots so much more, everything that has to do with them. 

I hope Colts maintain their dignity and we’ll someday enjoy seeing the evil empire crumble in shame.

Go Colts!

3 minutes ago, Bad Morty said:

It doesn't hurt to ask...but if you separate the 2 teams involved here ( I understand that's difficult) and just view it as an issue between 2 NFC teams, you are left with an assistant coach who entertained a head coaching offer, waffled on it, then said no and returned to the job he already had. I've done this myself in life...I went through 3 interviews and got a job offer from a company, then my existing company which I really enjoyed, stepped up and made me an offer I couldn't refuse...so I said no to the other company. I felt badly about it, but ultimately I made the right call for me and my family and that's really all that matters. You can't start punishing people for that.

Did you recruit others to come work for you before you decided to turn down the job.   Dude is classless and unprofessional.   His only hope to be a head coach is in New England.   He fits right in there though.   No class

1 minute ago, ricker182 said:

WHAT. A. DIRTBAG. 

No wonder NE likes him.

https://twitter.com/diannaESPN/status/961069796879142914

Spoke with several members of what was supposed to be McDaniels’ Indy coaching staff. They have not heard from Josh McDaniels regarding the change of heart. Just as blindsided as the rest of us. #Colts

wow, what class, McDaniels is a real piece of work.

3 minutes ago, Bad Morty said:

I’m presuming kraft interfered or offered more in my facts.  Otherwise I agree.  There is no one who could provide compensation.   

Maybe there will will be another investigation!  Destroyed cell phones and all.  Hahaha

11 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

It is not about me. 

I do think all the people who SHAMED those of us for not wanting Josh McDaniels should apologize.

Instead, it is more of the same though. Too many people don't own their mistakes in this world.

I'v been here several years SHAMED is something I experienced my first year here I actually started a thread about Peyton Manning & I was barraged with inappropriate posts & pics by those posters already on the boards who I later found out had many threads prior to my joining this forum and had talked so much about the subject that they simply did not want to discuss it & felt being rude to new members was appropriate ,

I on the other hand found these older posters to be very rude & prone to group think while I understand where you are coming from it does not make it any less childish .

No one on these boards takes much credit for being wrong it really is not necessary ours are opinions & no one is perfect , Having the ability to exchange your point of views & learn from others is far more important than always being right . 

There is great satisfaction in being right I get that but don't let it get in the way of being classy is all I'm saying as 1 who continues to practice what I preach .

:hat: