Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McDaniels rejects Colts.

RealityIsLuck

2 minutes ago, Nadine said:

he is such a good man.

I cringe at the way people talk about him even still

He became Baltimore's OC in the middle of a season and won a Super Bowl.  

I'd be willing to give him another go if I'm the Colts. 

They already know him.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Nadine said:

he agreed to terms today, scheduled the press conf and was calling prospective hires

Thanks after typing that and hitting the submit key I saw an update that he agreed today then backed out.  I would love to know what indications he gave before today.  Hopefully the Colts didn't just sit back assuming he was going to take the job.

29 minutes ago, Superman said:

The only material difference is that McDaniels evidently hadn't signed a contract. And I agree that that's a big issue, but end of the day, the situation is the same. McDaniels agreed to take the job, then backed out at the 11th hour. Result is the same, the would-be hiring team is blindsided by someone reneging on an agreement, signed or verbal. 

It's hard to see the league office viewing it any other way.

Well the difference lies in the fact that the timing of BB becoming HC of the NYJ happened after the Pats wanted to talk with him.  It is not like BB became the coach then the Pats made the move.   The Pats sentiment was that the Jets made the move to make BB the HC causing complications with the Pats being able to hire him, effectively getting a draft pick in exchange for BB as opposed to, from what i remember, getting nothing if Parcels had not resigned after getting the fax and BB was still the assistant HC.   So in sum, sentiment up here is that the Jets made a move to extract a draft pick from the Pats opposed to the Pats tampering with another teams HC.

With the above said, it does not really change the fact that the colts could make a move and seek some level of compensation on a promissory estoppel theory having to wait some time relying on Josh's promise that he would be the HC.

None of us know what was said between Josh and the Colts FO, was he clear that he was still on the fence, if not, then it was a [@#$%^ move on Josh's part.     

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

I've said all along that Toub is the one guy who Ballard doesn't really need to formally interview. 

I'd agree with that.

Also slightly off topic, but if Toub is brought in to be HC after all this, I'll wonder about those vague rumors that surfaced a while back which stated somebody high up in the Colts FO (rumored to be Carlie Irsay) only wanted a young HC.

I know, conspiracy-ish, but it just came to mind. Especially since it could point to Ballard wanting Toub all along.

20 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Did you read the way people talked to me? The disrespect? The group think mentality calling me names just because I did not like McDaniels as the choice?

I actually stopped posting in the Colts general section for a while. 

When I heard we were going to hire Josh McDaniels, the pain in my stomach was real. It physically hurt. 

I am just happy we wont have that clown! 

Hey man sorry that happened but we are all rooting for the same team...and we all have one enemy...and that’s NE...so let’s all man up...lock arms and support one another and Chris making this tough transition and the new coach coming in. Whomever that will be they have a TON to overcome and will need our support.

4 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

By recent reports he was doing that TODAY.

So something made McDaniels mind change very quickly. Kraft's conversation with McDaniels must have been mighty quick. Did Kraft just straight up say to him, "McD, I love you! I can't stand to be without you! Here's $100 mill!"

1 minute ago, Yehoodi said:

Well the difference lies in the fact that the timing of BB becoming HC of the NYJ happened after the Pats wanted to talk with him.  It is not like BB became the coach then the Pats made the move.   The Pats sentiment was that the Jets made the move to make BB the HC causing complications with the Pats being able to hire him, effectively getting a draft pick in exchange for BB as opposed to, from what i remember, getting nothing if Parcels had not resigned after getting the fax and BB was still the assistant HC.   So in sum, sentiment up here is that the Jets made a move to extract a draft pick from the Pats opposed to the Pats tampering with another teams HC.

With the above said, it does not really change the fact that the colts could make a move and seek some level of compensation on a promissory estoppel theory having to wait some time relying on Josh's promise that he would be the HC.

None of us know what was said between Josh and the Colts FO, was he clear that he was still on the fence, if not, then it was a [@#$%^ move on Josh's part.     

I wouldn't want that guy to be my HC if I were a pats fan either. 

The latest report from Mike Florio states:

Some will say that McDaniels had concerns about the health of quarterback Andrew Luck. The more accurate reality is that McDaniels had concerns about working with owner Jim Irsay.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/06/mcdaniels-decided-to-stay-put-with-no-promises-or-commitments-from-patriots/

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Kraft did that deal with the Jets because the NFL leaned in him to do so.   

It's documented in the latest ESPN 30 for 30.     Worth a look.

Even if there is zero paperwork, this wouldn't be hard to prove there was an understanding...    we have signed contracts with a bunch of assistants...   it wouldn't be hard to have them tell the NFL that they spoke with JM and joined the Colts to be on the staff with Josh McDaniels.    

I dont think this is a hard case to prove by any reasonable doubt.

I think the only question is how much we get and not whether we get anything at all.

Again, how is that the fault of the Patriots?  They retained a guy who was already under contract with them. He flirted with another team and came back and the Patriots decided to sweeten the deal of someone already under their employ. 

This is all on McDaniels and how he’d be punished if anything. 

Just now, ReMeDy said:

So Kraft's conversation with McDaniels must have been mighty quick. Did Kraft just straight up say to him, "McD, I love you! I can't stand to be without you! Here's $100 mill!"

IMO this was planned sabotage.  

I wouldn't put anything past the pats. Kraft especially.

1 minute ago, midwest said:

Thanks after typing that and hitting the submit key I saw an update that he agreed today then backed out.  I would love to know what indications he gave before today.  Hopefully the Colts didn't just sit back assuming he was going to take the job.

no they didn't sit back.........as best you cannot sit back when you technically cannot hire a guy till he's done with the season.

He just decided the burn bridges

As far as I have heard, he says he always told the colts that he was hesitant about moving his family. Anybody would be and all coaches do this.

It all just boils down to him putting us in a bad position because we waited for him.

Bad man

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Hey man sorry that happened but we are all rooting for the same team...and we all have one enemy...and that’s NE...so let’s all man up...lock arms and support one another and Chris making this tough transition and the new coach coming in. Whomever that will be they have a TON to overcome and will need our support.

I am looking forward to laying down the red carpet for our next coach. :D 

I think tonight might actually prove there is a God. 

Honestly, changing his mind so last second had to be something influenced by his lady or some sort of planned sabotage. Nothing else really makes sense to have happened so last minute... That or Luck's shoulder's is still screwed and if that is the case :headspin:

Just now, ricker182 said:

I wouldn't want that guy to be my HC if I were a pats fan either. 

i hear yah.  i like him as a OC, but not really a fan of him as a HC.  If he ends up being the HC down the road so be it.  He was not great in Denver and made a few shaky personal moves. 

i do not disagree with your point.  

@BlueShoe was right. Any of us(myself included) who thought that Josh McDaniels would be a good fit as coach of the Colts were wrong. We as fans of the team who dared to give this man a 2nd chance at a head coaching job even though just about every knowledgeable football person (Bill Polian, Tony Dungy, etc) said he would be a great fit deserve this. How dare we look at the information and come to our own conclusions about it. You have my most sincere apologies. I'm sure you won't have time to read this since I'm sure Irsay and Ballard are already contacting you about who the hire should be.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if part of it was McDaniels being skeptical, not about working under Irsay, but possibly working under an ownership transition to his daughters. It would closely mirror Bill's situation with the Jets, where their owner died and he was worried about working under a new owner.

Not to say anything negative about Jim or his daughters, just the possibility of ownership transition.

16 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

That's one thing I'll defend McDaniels on. It could be the Colts were promising McDaniels that Luck would be healthy, and in crunch time, maybe McDaniels learned that Luck wasn't healthy after all? In that case, who's in the wrong here?

I think though we need to find a coach who's willing to coach us, with or without Luck. Someone with a real passion for helping Indy.

I agree in needing a coach who wants to come here to work with Ballard and build this team, regardless of Luck.  That said, McDaniels may be a HC who will only have a great shot at surviving if he's got a top-tier QB.  If there were lingering doubts about Luck's health going on internally, you can't fault him too much for backing away from the job.

I hope that isn't the case and that Luck comes back healthy, but to be honest, this is a less-than-ideal place to be coaching with our current roster if we don't have a franchise QB.  #thanksgrigson

16 minutes ago, ad24rouse said:

Yeah McDaniels just killed his career

11 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

Again it isn't the same thing. BB WAS ALREADY the Jets coach for 24 hours when he RESIGNED.  McDaniels was never made HC officially.  Hey we will see won't we, I don't see the colts getting anything at all. 

If he agreed and there is a record, he's toast. They should strip every draft pick from the Patriots, ban their fans from all forums and games and let them play in empty stadiums at home for the entire time McDaniels is on staff

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Now you're back to lumping everyone in. I take offense at that. Just because the majority apparently disagreed with you doesn't mean it was a result of mindless sheep who couldn't formulate their own opinion.

There's obviously no olive branch big enough for you. Enjoy your moment.

He's not gonna give it up

I don't know all the  crazy rules on hiring coaches but my understanding is nothing could be done until yesterday (after the big game).  If he didn't sign anything yet I don't really see how there could be much to be done about it.  If the league would have allowed him to be hired two weeks ago and he made an obligation and backed out now that's one thing.  But making it official today and then a couple hours later changing his mind it's hard for the Colts to say they are out much.  I am assuming if they tried to argue that he implied two weeks ago that he was coming here that would be some violation on our part anyway for having those conversations before they were allowed to....

1 minute ago, Yehoodi said:

i hear yah.  i like him as a OC, but not really a fan of him as a HC.  If he ends up being the HC down the road so be it.  He was not great in Denver and made a few shaky personal moves. 

i do not disagree with your point.  

Maybe he can be like Pete Rose and Coach and Play

Just now, 21isSuperman said:

If this is true, I think the Pats are going to pay a big penalty.  @Superman does this change anything?  Now there's some intent known

I think so. I've been in enough courts to know the legal views on proving intent , question is , what the league does? I think they're gonna have to come down harder than imagined to stop this from happening again. 

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I think there were about 5 or 6 of us who took a real good beating. 

If the majority is going to dish it out then they need to be able to take it.

And yes, (overall) people on this board need to stop being sheep and have an opinion of their own. There are too many people here that fear anyone will disagree with them. 

Fear??  I hope I don't get in trouble for saying this but are you out of your mind?   I highly doubt anyone in this forum fears you or anyone else for that matter.  Have you taken your meds for the evening?

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I'll be completely honest. 

I wouldn't be surprised if PART OF IT was McDaniels being skeptical, not about working under Irsay, but possibly working under an ownership transition to his daughters. It would closely mirror Bill's situation with the Jets, where their owner died and he was worried about working under a new owner.

Not to say anything negative about Jim or his daughters, just the possibility of ownership transition.

The same might be happening in NE