Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McDaniels rejects Colts.

RealityIsLuck

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

Played it better?

I am not trying to play anyone. 

I was willing to give him an chance, even though it was against my better judgement. I told you that earlier today, before all this went down. 

It took all of a few hours for him to show us who he really is. For that, I am thankful to him. 

I have no disagreement with this post. 

Not that you're trying to play anyone. I'm saying you had a winning hand, and you decided to prance around as the rest of us tried to process this. Like I said, you could have basically changed your signature line to "I was right, you were wrong," and everyone else would have just had to nod along. Instead, you lashed out. It wasn't a good look.

I'm over it. We're in the same boat moving forward. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, bluebombers87 said:

In the year 2018 virtually all major organizations use voice over IP. Therefore almost all calls are recorded. That’s the route it will take likely. That and all the assistant coaches who can vouch that JM had verbally committed.

If what the Colts say is true and that they thought this would happen, then yea, you can bet they recorded the conversations.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Kraft did that deal with the Jets because the NFL leaned in him to do so.   

It's documented in the latest ESPN 30 for 30.     Worth a look.

Even if there is zero paperwork, this wouldn't be hard to prove there was an understanding...    we have signed contracts with a bunch of assistants...   it wouldn't be hard to have them tell the NFL that they spoke with JM and joined the Colts to be on the staff with Josh McDaniels.    

I dont think this is a hard case to prove by any reasonable doubt.

I think the only question is how much we get and not whether we get anything at all.

Again it isn't the same thing. BB WAS ALREADY the Jets coach for 24 hours when he RESIGNED.  McDaniels was never made HC officially.  Hey we will see won't we, I don't see the colts getting anything at all. 

3 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Granted I am still relatively new here but i really don't remember seeing anyone being eviscerated for being against the McDaniels hire. Maybe you were I don't know, but my god man grow a pair and quit your crying and gloating. What does it accomplish?

Oh and you do have my permission to get over yourself.  Haha. 

This may be the best comment of the night. Beautiful.

2 minutes ago, George Peterson said:

I honestly doubt it.  Good faith is one thing, but the burden of proof is on the Colts to establish they have a verbal contract.  If you can't prove there's a verbal or written contract (and when the burden of proof is on you, an understanding on its own is not sufficient), I don't think the Colts have a leg to stand on under contract law -- unless there's some specific NFL rules that contradict that.

McDaniels was on the phone with other coaches around the league telling them he was taking the job, and offering them contracts, which have been signed. Verbal contract is a cinch to prove. 

2 minutes ago, George Peterson said:

There's a lot of rumbling from the fans that Belichick mishandled that superbowl, especially with benching Butler.   Jonathan Kraft is in love with Belichick, but his son is much less so.  Jonathan's response to the schism talk was rather tepid in terms of his support of Belichick.. that has not been forgotten.

The elder Kraft is getting up there and the younger is handling more and more of the team responsibilities... a fan and staff revolt against Belichick that spoke to Jonathan might find a receptive ear, and if Bill saw the writing on the wall and that he'd have to compete with Jonathan for authority in the team, he might decide to abruptly retire -- it would be in his character.  He's said in the past he will only coach if he continues to have full control of the team, if that's coming to an end because of an irritated owner, we could see some pretty volcanic things happening in New England in the shockingly near future.

We may have just witnessed the last gasp of the Dynasty.,

And I wouldn't be surprised if BB didn't start Butler because he wanted to stick it to Kraft for the Jimmy G trade.  To let Kraft know that he runs the team and not the owner, even if it means putting a less talented team on the field.  That would be like BB, IMO.  Putting control and independence over winning another superbowl.  If he feels like he's gone soon, why would he care about the franchise.

4 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, he wasn't interviewed.

But Holder mentions a "back pocket" option for Ballard. It could definitely be Bevell, somebody close to Ballard, but I think it could also be Toub. Gotta think it's somebody Ballard knows very well.

I've said all along that Toub is the one guy who Ballard doesn't really need to formally interview. 

Just now, JimJaime said:

Again it isn't the same thing. BB WAS ALREADY the Jets coach for 24 hours when he RESIGNED.  McDaniels was never made HC officially.  Hey we will see won't we, I don't see the colts getting anything at all. 

Just another classless move from those in Foxboro.   Nothing new.     Nice catch Brady 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Even if there is zero paperwork, this wouldn't be hard to prove there was an understanding...    we have signed contracts with a bunch of assistants...   it wouldn't be hard to have them tell the NFL that they spoke with JM and joined the Colts to be on the staff with Josh McDaniels.    

I think the only question is how much we get and not whether we get anything at all.

I brought this up and I was castigated. This stinks, it smells all the way up to the offices in New York City. They just resigned Goodell he needs to look at this with a view of working with a team that has cheated before and got caught and been punished before. Let us not forget the penalty against Tom Brady and the Patriots for deflategate has something to do with prior actions the team has done. This will be investigated deeply and I hope when an F McDaniels takes over a New England at the Patriots go to Absolute crap

39 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Colts statement:

BREAKING: Statement from the Indianapolis Colts....

"After agreeing to contract terms to become the Indianapolis Colts’ new head coach, New England Patriots assistant coach Josh McDaniels this evening informed us that he would not be joining our team. Although we are surprised and disappointed, we will resume our head coaching search immediately and find the right fit to lead our team and organization on and off the field.

The scheduled press conference at Lucas Oil Stadium will not take place tomorrow. More information will be forthcoming."

OMG I've never heard of such a situation, agree to terms same day you pull out?  Next time they will wait until the new coach is at 56th street for a month before announcing it.  I guess we have to get ready for the 2nd fiddle (TAUB).  I wonder if this was a ploy to make the Colts look bad, after all, it is New England we are talking about here.

I haven't read through all 15 pages so my bad on that.  Has it been confirmed (it may never been) that he verbally agreed to take the job some time ago?  Or were the colts just assuming that since he did not take a job any where else then he was going to take this one?

1 minute ago, ricker182 said:

As long as Luck is healthy, all will be fine.  

I'm glad we dodged this bullet.  

I'm not sure if we even had a chance at Shurmur or Nagy anyway.  

Unless the Colts told those guys that mcdaniels had already agreed to be the next HC.

I didn't want Nagy, the Colts didn't interview or request Shurmur (per reports). 

2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

If I were the Colts, I'd really rip McDaniels.  I'm sure Ballard will approach this with more maturity, but I'd say something like "being head coach of the Indianapolis Colts is a job that requires integrity.  Josh clearly didn't feel qualified, so he went back to New England"

There will be a dig or two in the eventual presser.

By the way, Ballard should hold a presser before he introduces the next guy. This fiasco deserves its own day, and the new coach shouldn't have to sit by while Ballard answers questions about his previous hire.

1 minute ago, midwest said:

I apologize if this has been discussed, I tried to read through all 15 pages and couldn't make it.  I haven't been on the boards much since the season ended. My understanding is he interviewed twice.  I never saw him or any quotes from him say he was taking the job.  Some guy early on said he accepted the job, announced it and set up a press conference and then back out,  Is that true or not???  It seems the "collective we" (local fans and media) have said he was coming here but I never heard him or anyone affiliated with him say he was coming here.  If he told the Colts that he was coming here  "wink wink" during his interviews, which he couldn't do until yesterday, and they made the hires they did the last couple weeks based on that then shame on him.  If the Colts guessed he was going to come here and started making some decisions based on that assumption then shame onthem.  I can't hold him accountable until I hear what he has said behind closed doors which is likely not going to happen.  Given the poor history of how the Colts organization runs most things I feel it is more likely they "assumed" he was coming here more then him making an obligation and then backing out.  I'll stress again maybe this info is common knowledge and I just haven't read it yet.

he agreed to terms today, scheduled the press conf and was calling prospective hires

13 minutes ago, snkdy said:

Seems like we'll be keeping the assistants McDaniels hand-picked, which is admirable but puts us further behind the eight-ball. Not sure how many potential HCs would be okay with not selecting their staff. But perhaps a candidate will convince the team otherwise. I feel bad for those families.

Irsay already owes enough people money who are not coaching for him. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I didn't want Nagy, the Colts didn't interview or request Shurmur (per reports). 

I'm pretty sure we already had an understanding with mcdaniels before it got to Shurmur.  

I preferred Shurmur from the get go, but would have been ok with Nagy. I'm also ok with Toub, but I have no idea if he will be a successful HC.

I was quick to hate on Caldwell when he was here.   

He's a very good coordinator.  

I just don't think he's a very good HC.  

Outstanding human though.

he is such a good man.

I cringe at the way people talk about him even still

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

No. In this situation a signature wasn't enough. 

People need to hear how wrong the "group think mentality" usually is around here. IT IS A PROBLEM HERE!

My goal is for people to start having original thoughts that belong to them, and accept others opinions when it differs from the majority. 

Now you're back to lumping everyone in. I take offense at that. Just because the majority apparently disagreed with you doesn't mean it was a result of mindless sheep who couldn't formulate their own opinion.

There's obviously no olive branch big enough for you. Enjoy your moment.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Belichick contract situation with the Jets was much different in that he actually WAS under contract with the Jets as an assistant when the Pats hired him. Now any assistant coach has the right to take a head coaching job without compensation (for obvious reasons), however the Jets had a legal argument because it was specified in Bill's contract as an assistant that he would automatically become the Jets head coach if/when Parcells stepped down. So when Parcells decided to step down and take a front office job, the Jets contended that Bill B. became their head coach and were therefore entitled to compensation. The Pats probably could have fought this, but the commissioner stepped in and encouraged them to settle it with the Jets...which they did.

In this case, McDaniels is essentially a free agent. I think it was a D-move by him...but I really don't think there is any basis to award the Colts any picks unless there is a signed agreement that he renegged on. Until he signs the contract, any team could have technically swooped in and hired him away.

I'm pretty sure we already had an understanding with mcdaniels before it got to Shurmur.  

I preferred Shurmur from the get go, but would have been ok with Nagy. I'm also ok with Toub, but I have no idea if he will be a successful HC.

We interviewed five or six guys, based on reports. It's not like McDaniels was the only candidate on Ballard's list.

I don't know why Shurmur wasn't considered, but there's no indication the Colts were interested.