Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McDaniels rejects Colts.

RealityIsLuck

1 minute ago, ricker182 said:

Also garbage. Irsay is well respected by everyone he has hired. 

Supports my planned sabotage theory.

Well, with all due respect, the fact that Florio was right about the rumors McDaniels would back out on the Colts.

Leads me to believe he may know more about the whole situation.

I suspect Irsay may have factored in

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Yehoodi said:

Well the difference lies in the fact that the timing of BB becoming HC of the NYJ happened after the Pats wanted to talk with him.  It is not like BB became the coach then the Pats made the move.   The Pats sentiment was that the Jets made the move to make BB the HC causing complications with the Pats being able to hire him, effectively getting a draft pick in exchange for BB as opposed to, from what i remember, getting nothing if Parcels had not resigned after getting the fax and BB was still the assistant HC.   So in sum, sentiment up here is that the Jets made a move to extract a draft pick from the Pats opposed to the Pats tampering with another teams HC.

With the above said, it does not really change the fact that the colts could make a move and seek some level of compensation on a promissory estoppel theory having to wait some time relying on Josh's promise that he would be the HC.

None of us know what was said between Josh and the Colts FO, was he clear that he was still on the fence, if not, then it was a [@#$%^ move on Josh's part.     

We're talking about two different things.

1) The timing and impact on the Colts. In every way that matters, this is just like Belichick and the Jets. There's no reason to dig into the nitty gritty and minutiae, this is the same situation, the Colts are just as blindsided as the Jets were, etc. McDaniels was calling potential assistants, who have now signed contracts with the Colts, as late as this morning. He screwed us, plain and simple.

2) The league's stance on this. We don't know what will happen. It's seems obvious that McDaniels hadn't signed an actual contract. And in the Jets case, Belichick was under contract, and the end result was the Jets traded him to the Pats (for all intents and purposes) for draft picks. Clean resolution to a messy situation.

Since McDaniels was not officially a Colts employee, it's possible the resolution to this messy situation won't be as clean as it was back then. But you better believe the Colts are filing a grievance, and I'm pretty sure they'll have the support of the majority of the other owners in the league. They were irreparably harmed by McDaniels actions, and the Patriots facilitated that harm by swooping in at the last minute, when they had over a month to discuss a plan to retain McDaniels.

I think you can also count on the league not wanting to see one team hang another team out to dry like this.

I don't know what will happen, but if you think it's as simple as 'he wasn't officially signed,' I think you're being naive.

19 minutes ago, George Peterson said:

There's a lot of rumbling from the fans that Belichick mishandled that superbowl, especially with benching Butler.   Jonathan Kraft is in love with Belichick, but his son is much less so.  Jonathan's response to the schism talk was rather tepid in terms of his support of Belichick.. that has not been forgotten.

The elder Kraft is getting up there and the younger is handling more and more of the team responsibilities... a fan and staff revolt against Belichick that spoke to Jonathan might find a receptive ear, and if Bill saw the writing on the wall and that he'd have to compete with Jonathan for authority in the team, he might decide to abruptly retire -- it would be in his character.  He's said in the past he will only coach if he continues to have full control of the team, if that's coming to an end because of an irritated owner, we could see some pretty volcanic things happening in New England in the shockingly near future.

We may have just witnessed the last gasp of the Dynasty.,

Time will tell.  the tea leaves do indicate what you are saying.  A softer approach might be to have a BB coach next year knowing it will be his last year with full support from all sides, then let Josh, or another take over. 

51 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

IMO we weren’t made fun a jester stayed in clown college

I'm still trying to soak the events of this evening in.  Excitement to complete dismay.  It's more embarrassing than it is anything (for the Colts org..--- they hit a home-run, then blue tells you it hit the foul-pole.

My gut tells me that the simplest explanation is probably the correct one - he got a counter-offer (and probably a raise) and maybe even a timeline of B.B. departure. There may have been some discussion about him being first in line as his possible successor. 

This wasn’t a long con. This wasn’t a troll job. This wasn’t payback - at least from JM. 

Just now, snkdy said:

I think the most likely outcome is that we get a HC that is willing to keep the staff McDaniels selected.

I don’t think he has a choice. He may want to run a different scheme than what McDaniels’ handpicked coaches know how to run. Most coaches will want to bring in their own guys. I expect a lot of turnover with assistant over the next couple of years unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I think it's revenge for Deflategate, and just a chance to make the Colts look bad and screw up their offseason. Job well done, obviously. And I know no one will believe me, but Belichick with the Jets has been in the back of my mind all along... If we get a first rounder from them like the Jets did, it will kind of be worth it, but I doubt that happens.

Do you think that McDaniels willingly gave up his carreer outside of Boston just to take revenge on the Colts? That makes no sense for me. He is a young guy, he has 20 something years left, he must be delusional if he thinks he can be another Belichick. I mean he can hope, but putting his carreer on this chance is illogical.

I don't get it at all. Even if he indeed was promised the Pats HC gig, and even if he will get it next year or the next. What will he win over this Colts job? I mean, the Pats are certainly a diamond now, I get it. But Brady is 41. And Belichick wont be there if he will be there. And then what? What are his chances with the post-Brady, post Belichick Patriots?

Whatever. It's their problem now. Let's focus on ours. Do you see any chance of somehow bringing in Frank Reich? Or am I dreaming? 

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

Well, with all due respect, the fact that Florio was right about the rumors McDaniels would back out on the Colts.

What he's reporting may be what mcdaniels has said.  

My point is that that is not a valid reason. 

Irsay is well liked by his employees.

3 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

If this is true, I think the Pats are going to pay a big penalty.  @Superman does this change anything?  Now there's some intent known

If the league takes intent into consideration, it hurts the Pats for sure. 

Not sure it helps us. What sucks is the league could strip the Pats of a pick or two, but that doesn't mean the pick(s) will be awarded to the Colts. 

I don’t think we get any compensation from the Pats and I don’t want any. I would only think there would be compensation if and only if it was proven this was a planned move to sabotage the Colts offseason. Considering the Pats ability to stonewall an investigation I think the chance to prove that is slim to none. I’m so angry but done with this and moving on. It probably won’t be next year or who knows the next when we beat them but oh it will be sweet.

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I don't think Irsay had much of anything to do with this happening. Florio throws a lot of crap against the wall. Just because one turd stuck doesn't mean he's Nostradamus. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Not sure it helps us. What sucks is the league could strip the Pats of a pick or two, but that doesn't mean the pick(s) will be awarded to the Colts. 

Good enough for me. Keep those asterisks coming.  

Not one untainted championship.

All the how great of an owner and guy Kraft is...if that is proven somehow then well I got nothing nice to say right now and maybe ever about what a stand up owner and guy this is.

Just now, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

So is it now your intent to make this thread about you ? 

I for one am getting tired of your posts get over your self even a broken clock is right twice a day you made your point several times .....

Don't steal his thunder. He's SUPER excited about a miracle making him right and he's going to state as much every 3 pages!!!

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Is this how you need to justify how wrong you were?

If it's what helps you sleep at night, then by all means. You have my permission. :D  

How wrong I was? I looked at the facts (1) most football analysts said McDaniels was the best candidate (2) McDaniels is the best OC in the NFL (3) He had the backing of Polian, Dungy, Irsay, Ballard all of whom have forgotten more about football than I will ever know. If supporting my team is wrong then I don't wanna be right!

(I really hope that you aren't taking this personally. I'm having a good time. I enjoy the forum and I love the Colts!)

3 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

I don’t think he has a choice. He may want to run a different scheme than what McDaniels’ handpicked coaches know how to run. Most coaches will want to bring in their own guys. I expect a lot of turnover with assistant over the next couple of years unfortunately. 

The early reports are saying that the Colts will keep them regardless of who the HC is. You're right though. Of course any decent HC will want to pick a staff. I'm not sure how this will turn out.

2 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

Good enough for me. Keep those asterisks coming.  

Not one untainted championship.

My problem with that is that we were harmed.

This also hurts the prospects of future assistant coaches who have deep playoff runs. If teams are afraid of this happening, they won't wait around anymore.

This went fine for the Falcons, fine for the Niners, then we got burned. The league has to do something to keep this from happening in the future.

11 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

So something made McDaniels mind change very quickly. Kraft's conversation with McDaniels must have been mighty quick. Did Kraft just straight up say to him, "McD, I love you! I can't stand to be without you! Here's $100 mill!"

No No it was hey dude I got this picture of you & 2 goats are you sure you don't want to remain a part of our classy family here in New England , 

#1 - Colts look disorganized, unprepared, and unprofessional, even if it is because of some jerky move of McD.

#2 - We have given contracts to other assistance coaches and coordinators based on the presumption that McDaniels would be here. What do those guys do? They are out of a job if they don't take the Colts gigs, but that is pretty shaky ground to start a new coordinator position.

#3 - We missed out on hiring some other potentially good HC and OC candidates while waiting for McDaniels.

#4 - How hard will it be for whomever is hired as head coach to win the respect of that locker room? All the players will know you were the second (nope, Nagy), third (nope, Vrabel), I mean at least 4th choice as head coach...
#5 - How unprofessional of McD to accept the offer verbally, and then back out. While this will burn some bridges for him, I don't think he will ever "get his". He will be rewarded handsomely by Robert Kraft. (As if Colts fans needed more reasons to dislike the Pats).

Just now, snkdy said:

The early reports are saying that the Colts will keep them regardless of who the HC is. You're right though. Of course any decent HC will want to pick a staff. I'm not sure how this will turn out.

I don't see how it could turn out good.  Irsay and Ballard need to back out of ALL contracts with ANY assistants.....you can't force coaches on your new head coach....that's no different than Ballard having to put up with Pagano for a year of cringe-worthy football because Irsay made him.  This is a disaster.

This also hurts the prospects of future assistant coaches who have deep playoff runs. If teams are afraid of this happening, they won't wait around anymore.

Excellent point. McDaniels just hurt the prospects of all future playoff coaches going forward. This sets a dangerous precedent, and I guarantee McDaniels made some enemies with his move.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

We're talking about two different things.

1) The timing and impact on the Colts. In every way that matters, this is just like Belichick and the Jets. There's no reason to dig into the nitty gritty and minutiae, this is the same situation, the Colts are just as blindsided as the Jets were, etc. McDaniels was calling potential assistants, who have now signed contracts with the Colts, as late as this morning. He screwed us, plain and simple.

2) The league's stance on this. We don't know what will happen. It's seems obvious that McDaniels hadn't signed an actual contract. And in the Jets case, Belichick was under contract, and the end result was the Jets traded him to the Pats (for all intents and purposes) for draft picks. Clean resolution to a messy situation.

Since McDaniels was not officially a Colts employee, it's possible the resolution to this messy situation won't be as clean as it was back then. But you better believe the Colts are filing a grievance, and I'm pretty sure they'll have the support of the majority of the other owners in the league. They were irreparably harmed by McDaniels actions, and the Patriots facilitated that harm by swooping in at the last minute, when they had over a month to discuss a plan to retain McDaniels.

I think you can also count on the league not wanting to see one team hang another team out to dry like this.

I don't know what will happen, but if you think it's as simple as 'he wasn't officially signed,' I think you're being naive.

So first off, I don't disagree that this is a pretty bad look for McDaniels, and if I were a Colts fan I would be as angry as everyone here is. But again I will say it...what is the harm? No team is guaranteed that the person they want to hire for a job will accept that job. The fact that he agreed verbally to the terms the Colts presented him and then changed his mind is really irrelevant. People are allowed to do this, regardless of the negative ramifications on the other party. The only thing they AREN'T allowed to do is reneg on a legal contract. So where is the "irreparable harm" that needs to be remedied? They tried to hire him, he said no...it's as simple as that. Had he said no 4 weeks ago, nobody would be arguing for any compensation, right? So a risk was taken by the Colts to wait 4 weeks for him to make this decision. That risk is the sole responsibility of the Colts. It's not the responsibility of another team to compensate the Colts for the risk they willingly took to wait the extra 4 weeks on an uncertain outcome.