Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All Colts Head Coach Discussions (merge) The Indianapolis Colts Are Officially Eliminated From The 2017 Playoffs

BlueShoe

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the end of this season can't get here fast enough.  i'm just looking for some kind of new rumor or something about somebody getting fired.  just need to hear about change somewhere.  that's about where I'm at right now with the whole thing.

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

the end of this season can't get here fast enough.  i'm just looking for some kind of new rumor or something about somebody getting fired.  just need to hear about change somewhere.  that's about where I'm at right now with the whole thing.

Couldn't agree more, I'm ready for the offseason and change.  Haven't been less interested in a season for over 20 years as a fan.  

1 hour ago, dodsworth said:

Enter all out tank mode and start Tolzien. Don't want to chance

squeaking out a couple meaningless wins the rest of the year,

Not that Brisset is doing much better here of late.

Well some people might prefer a few wins since they want us to trade down from number 5 anyways lol.

My question is, the Giants are cleaning house today...why cant we fire Pagano already?! I know Irsay and Ballard will likely wait till after the season but IMO it should be done sooner than later, more opportunity to start introducing candidates and not only letting all the possible candidates know "hey come to Indy vacancy open" but i think its better for the attitude and moral of the players to know that they have a GM and owner that are not afraid to take initiative and make changes and if they make the team next season they will be playing for a new head coach. Having Chuck coach out the season IMO is a stupid way to go about the situation.

8 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

My question is, the Giants are cleaning house today...why cant we fire Pagano already?! I know Irsay and Ballard will likely wait till after the season but IMO it should be done sooner than later, more opportunity to start introducing candidates and not only letting all the possible candidates know "hey come to Indy vacancy open" but i think its better for the attitude and moral of the players to know that they have a GM and owner that are not afraid to take initiative and make changes and if they make the team next season they will be playing for a new head coach. Having Chuck coach out the season IMO is a stupid way to go about the situation.

26 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

They (Irsay) rode out both the Mora 3-13 and the Caldwell 2-14 seasons before firing the head coach.  Jim Irsay has never fired a head coach during the season

If they were going to fire Pagano, they would have done it after the first Jags loss, or during the bye week. At this point, it's pretty obvious that they won't be making any coaching change until the season is over. There was also a "report" a few weeks ago that Irsay wanted to let Pagano finish out the season, and that's something everyone should have expected, given Irsay's track record with firing/hiring coaches.

Firing a coach early does nothing to help you better your pool of candidates. Almost all of those candidates are currently coaching on their teams and have no interest in the current vacancies (I don't think we could even talk to them at this point either).

The only thing a mid-season firing does is allow you to see what you have in-house, which is not an option most teams typically go with. It can also show a prospective hire a lack of patience, which can make some hesitant to even interview for a vacancy.

Pagano is finishing the season out. Accept it and move on.

46 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I couldn't agree more. 

1 hour ago, Shive said:

Firing a coach early does nothing to help you better your pool of candidates. Almost all of those candidates are currently coaching on their teams and have no interest in the current vacancies (I don't think we could even talk to them at this point either).

The only thing a mid-season firing does is allow you to see what you have in-house, which is not an option most teams typically go with. It can also show a prospective hire a lack of patience, which can make some hesitant to even interview for a vacancy.

Pagano is finishing the season out. Accept it and move on.

Sometimes it's appropriate to let a coach go before the season ends. I would have no complaints if the Colts fired Pagano midseason, and I think any charges of impatience would be specious, at best. Pagano and his staff have been given plenty of rope, IMO. He was granted a stay two seasons ago, and hasn't done much with it. 

Also, now that college football season is over, there's a pool of candidates a team could engage with right now, if interested. I'm sure the Giants will talk to some of them over the next four weeks. 

I think all the possible candidates already are thinking there will be a vacancy in Indy.  I think the status of Andrew Luck is going to be the determining factor in attracting top candidates.  Without Andrew we're just a small market team looking for a coach with a team starting entirely over.  With a healthy Andrew we're a team with an elite franchise QB ready to make a SB run.  That's going to be the deciding factor in who wants to come here.  The Colts are going to have to answer that question when the interviewing starts.  Looks like we don't have an answer now.  Hopefully we will know a lot more by the end of the season.   Firing Chuck now doesn't really speed that process up.  I think Irasy sends a good message to candidates by showing he is a man of his word and will give Chuck the full year to make his case like he said he would.