Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All Colts Head Coach Discussions (merge) The Indianapolis Colts Are Officially Eliminated From The 2017 Playoffs

BlueShoe

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I agree 100%. It's just time for a culture change and Ballard is now the GM, so he should bring in his guy. I give Chuck solid credit for the first 3 years he was here, of course Luck deserves more credit but Chuck was still the Coach. After going to the Title Game in 2014 I gave Chuck a lot of rope, many in here didn't. So I gave him a pass in 2015 because Luck only played 7 games. After last season's 8-8 I actually wanted him gone. After we lost to Houston here last season, I figured it was time to fire him. One can definitely defend his 1st 4 seasons though, Last season and this one not so much.

This is fair. I basically agree with everything you said.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good catch.     Off the top of my head,  I couldn't remember if Chuck came back for the last game or not?

I know he coached 3 games at the start before his illness was caught and we were 1-2 at the time.

Thanks for setting that straight!

A lot of people do that actually because they remember he started 1-2. No bigge.

35 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't hate Pagano, I gave you constructive criticism and you took it personal and starting lashing out at me. That's why I'm so upset right now. Pagano isn't worthy of being hated, he's basically irrelevent. Other teams, coaches and players would agree with me. You have ignored a lot my facts or am making excuses for them. Some of your facts are opinions as well. I'm very frustrated with the last 3 years. You don't seem to understand that is the case with me and a lot of the forum as well. It's hard to be positive or say good things when everything goes wrong. This whole thing is going to be over in a month. I'd appreciate it if you were a little nicer to me from now on. The last three years haven't been great as a Colts fan. You can be right all you want, but in the end, you are on the couch every Sunday watching and talking on the forum just like me.

Oh boy.....

Of course you hate Pagano.     All of your arguments,  the nonsensical ones,  can only come from a place of hate.

According to you,  Arians did a good job with the Colts, so he gets a HC job and that's a good thing.

But Chuck does a good job at Baltimore,  and so he gets a HC job,  but that's not good because Baltimore went on to win the SB without him.      And when I explain that the problem for Baltimore was offensive and not defense it doeesn't seem to register with you.       Nothing that proves your arguments are wrong seems to register.     You have a worse comeback for every argument.   Matt Hasselbeck, anyone?   That comes from hate.

Every argument you make is intended to prove that not only is Pagano a bad coach,  that he should never have gotten the Colts job in the first place.   

According to you Baltimore was better without Pags.

According to you,  Arians carried Pags in 2012

According to you,  Pep carried Pags in 13 and 14.

According to you,  Hasselbeck was almost as good in 15 as Luck was in 12.

Shall I continue?  

They're all arguments to demonstrate Pagano's incompentence.     And that can only come from a position of hate.     When I demonstrate as I have TWICE now how wrong you were about Pagano and rookies and you refuse to accept it,  that comes from a position of Hate.

Deny it all you want.     Deny it the rest of your life.     But it's all on display on this website.    It's pure HATE!

And it's twisted your mind so badly that you can't think straight.     That's why facts are so unimportant to you.

If you think I'm lashing out at you,  I don't appreciate you stirring things up and then pointing the finger at others.    Take ownership of the mess you make.    And this hate is your mess.

25 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't hate Pagano, I gave you constructive criticism and you took it personal and starting lashing out at me. That's why I'm so upset right now. Pagano isn't worthy of being hated, he's basically irrelevent. Other teams, coaches and players would agree with me. You have ignored a lot my facts or am making excuses for them. Some of your facts are opinions as well. I'm very frustrated with the last 3 years. You don't seem to understand that is the case with me and a lot of the forum as well. It's hard to be positive or say good things when everything goes wrong. This whole thing is going to be over in a month. I'd appreciate it if you were a little nicer to me from now on. The last three years haven't been great as a Colts fan. You can be right all you want, but in the end, you are on the couch every Sunday watching and talking on the forum just like me.

You're frustrated with the last three years.   Got it.     So are many around here.

And here's why......

Because you and others here viewed an 8-8 season where Andrew Luck missed 9 of the 16 games and you think the Colts still should've made the playoffs -- without Luck.     You see the problem as Pagano.     I think 15 was a tremendous year of coaching for Pags.     So, I'm not the least bit upset about 15.     I'm damn impressed.    But not the fan base.     The problem was Pagano. 

You view 16 as another bad year for Pagano.    Instead of realizing that at the start of the season ESPN analystics predicted 7-9 based on an old, slow, and poor roster.     No one wanted to hear it.      We go 8-8 and people think it's another bad year for Pagano.  Despite the 31st ranked defense.    Instead of realizing that the biggest problem was Grigson who gave Pags such a terrible roster.    People here screamed that Pags is a defensive guy so why does the defense suck?     It's because it was old and slow and untalted.    Grigson took so long trying to get the offense right, that he neglected the defense.     And that's what we got.    

Everything with you and much of this fan base is the problems rest with Pagano.     Even when they don't.

It's no wonder you're upset for the last 3 years......     but so much of it has been badly misplaced.    (THAT'S an opinion!)

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I didn't offer my background on my own.

i was ASKED what my background and knowledge of football.  I answered.

If you think I'm not any smarter than anyone else then that's your right.   My posts speak for themselves.   You can like them or not.    Apparently you chose not.

And I'm ok with that.    You can't please everyone.....

Actually I didn't ask for it.  I said I didnt know what it is. 

14 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Actually I didn't ask for it.  I said I didnt know what it is. 

I took these comments....    these two phrases to be asking for why someone should care what I have to say....

You wrote:    "We have no clue your background either.  Why should we pay attention or care what you said?"

If that wasn't your meaning,  then sorry for wasting your time.

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Irsay hired Indiana boy Grigson so he could still play GM, "as he himself said," Mentor Grigson.
  He had his "not so clear" head in all those bad decisions? kinda maybe
   I am certain Ballard will fully inform Irsay of who his top choices are, and they will go over them in detail.
  And Irsay will be part of the Interview process.
  Hopefully Irsay & Family let Ballard do his job. And i believe they will.

I just hope we get the best available O-Line coach next round.  Aaron "killer" Kromer as OC?
 A very strong history with o-line player development, with pass blocking, and the run game.

I feel like the aftermath of the Polian/s firing was Irsay taking back his team.  He seemed to have a fairly stand back approach and let people do their job when Polian was running things.  It worked well for a while, until things went downhill when Polian seemed to be micromanaging and using nepotism by making his son General Manager. 

Personally, I feel like Irsay has made mostly right decisions as the owner, but he was never a good GM.  Basically, he's good at making the right big decisions at the right time, but not someone I want evaluating player talent.  It's also just too much for one person to own/operate a team and be GM.  So hopefully he has scaled things back and let Ballard do his job.  Of course I expect him to be in the process for the coaching interviews, but I hope at the end of the day he trusts Ballard's opinions.  

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I took these comments....    these two phrases to be asking for why someone should care what I have to say....

You wrote:    "We have no clue your background either.  Why should we pay attention or care what you said?"

If that wasn't your meaning,  then sorry for wasting your time.

No I appreciate it. Just not trying to pry into people's personal lives 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's no wonder you're upset for the last 3 years......     but so much of it has been badly misplaced.    (THAT'S an opinion!)

I dont think most of your arguments, even though i agree with some of them, absolve Pagano from being outscored by like 120 something points in the 2nd half of games while being almost a 0 point differential in the first half. I think we can harp on Grigson quite a bit, but Pagano carries enough blame to also be fired if you ask me.  Cant blame Grigson when Pagano stays roughly tied for the first half with a Luck-less team but gets embarrassed in the second half and say hey, Pagano had nothing to work with. While true to an extent, Pagano's game management and game plan adjustments have been suspect for a couple years. So the question is: did he forget how to adjust at halftime? Or did Luck really cover Pagano and a subpar supporting cast more than he got credit for? I dunno where on that spectrum you fall, but it's hard for me to make a solid pro-pagano argument for him to stay.

10 hours ago, krunk said:

Most of us want a change, but to be honest I really don't see a whole lot of worthy candidates that will be available.  I'll be interested to see what happens

If anything it made me more interested in Tubb. It mentioned how teams should look for someone who has made bad talent look okay, made good talent look great, and young talent suddenly develop.

Tubb has had a top 10 ranked STs unit anywhere he’s been and a few ones ranked number 1. He turned a 6th round pick in Tyreek Hill into one of the best rookie STs players in recent memory.

24 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I dont think most of your arguments, even though i agree with some of them, absolve Pagano from being outscored by like 120 something points in the 2nd half of games while being almost a 0 point differential in the first half. I think we can harp on Grigson quite a bit, but Pagano carries enough blame to also be fired if you ask me.  Cant blame Grigson when Pagano stays roughly tied for the first half with a Luck-less team but gets embarrassed in the second half and say hey, Pagano had nothing to work with. While true to an extent, Pagano's game management and game plan adjustments have been suspect for a couple years. So the question is: did he forget how to adjust at halftime? Or did Luck really cover Pagano and a subpar supporting cast more than he got credit for? I dunno where on that spectrum you fall, but it's hard for me to make a solid pro-pagano argument for him to stay.

I'm not making an argument for Pagano to stay.   I think he should go.

I'mjust making an argument that he doesn't suck, that he's not terrible.   I think he's average, but average isn't good enough.    We need better.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

If anything it made me more interested in Tubb. It mentioned how teams should look for someone who has made bad talent look okay, made good talent look great, and young talent suddenly develop.

Tubb has had a top 10 ranked STs unit anywhere he’s been and a few ones ranked number 1. He turned a 6th round pick in Tyreek Hill into one of the best rookie STs players in recent memory.

I would be good with signing Tubb.  But since he would be a first time head coach, maybe give him a heavy incentive, lower guarantee contract.  That way, if things don't work out, you can let him go without being tied to the money.  On the other end, if he does well, he still gets paid. 

54 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'mjust making an argument that he doesn't suck, that he's not terrible.   I think he's average, but average isn't good enough.    We need better.

And maybe Pagano proves he can be a head coach in this league, it doesn't really matter.  It's time to move on, it's time to give Ballard a chance to get his guy, sink or swim.  Arguing the past is irrelevant and really just a matter of opinion and interpretation.  If you asked me in 2011, I wanted Caldwell gone, but he's proven at least a capable coach for the Detroit Lions.  Pagano has gotten a fair shake in his run, he outlasted Grigson.  We all knew most likely after this season he was gone, unless he did something impressive.  He didn't, while the talent was lacking, he didn't draw anything extra out of them and that was necessary for him to keep his job.  

26 minutes ago, Corndog said:

And maybe Pagano proves he can be a head coach in this league, it doesn't really matter.  It's time to move on, it's time to give Ballard a chance to get his guy, sink or swim.  Arguing the past is irrelevant and really just a matter of opinion and interpretation.  If you asked me in 2011, I wanted Caldwell gone, but he's proven at least a capable coach for the Detroit Lions.  Pagano has gotten a fair shake in his run, he outlasted Grigson.  We all knew most likely after this season he was gone, unless he did something impressive.  He didn't, while the talent was lacking, he didn't draw anything extra out of them and that was necessary for him to keep his job.  

Thank you.

Here's another very fair,  very reasonable post.       That's all I ever really want.

This is terrific.      It offers some history,  some context,  some perspective,   some reason.     Everything you could want in a post.

Nicely said.     I appreciate you making it.    The more of these that are made,  the better this website is for everyone....

Heckuva post....              :colts:

7 hours ago, Corndog said:

I'm almost just as curious to see where Chuck ends up as I am to see who becomes our next HC, if he's let go. He's hinted a couple times in the past that this Colts HC job would be his last, that he'd just retire and spend time with family, but I wonder if that's really true.

And poor Caldwell, I know he just received an extension and was receiving praise early this year, but Lions fans are ripping on him right now. Actually, not even Jim Bob Cooter is popular with their fanbase anymore.

9 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I wouldn't be angry with Toub I suppose, although I think special teams takes much less than what he'd have to deal with as a head coach.   I think Tyreek Hill could be a top special teams player on anybodies team to be honest so I don't know how much credit I'd give to Toub for that.   I've listened to Toub a couple times just to get a feel for him and I think he could handle it.  Seemed like a guy who is a good teacher amongst other things.  He wouldn't be my first choice.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

I wouldn't be angry with Toub I suppose, although I think special teams takes much less than what he'd have to deal with as a head coach.   I think Tyreek Hill could be a top special teams player on anybodies team to be honest so I don't know how much credit I'd give to Toub for that.   I've listened to Toub a couple times just to get a feel for him and I think he could handle it.  Seemed like a guy who is a good teacher amongst other things.  He wouldn't be my first choice.

Who would your first choice be?

14 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Who would your first choice be?

Hadn't really narrowed anyone down yet, but I prefer an experienced head coach who has previous success. Somebody like Harbaugh but I know there's slim to no chance on that front.  Somebody else was talking about Andy Reid possibly getting canned from the Chiefs.   I don't think that has much chance of  happening, but if it did I actually think he'd work very well with Luck and I love the way he calls plays.   

There's not too many people out there like this so this years crop of coaches if we make a change is likely to be somebody who is a first timer.  Somebody like Toub, Matt Nagy, or somebody else.   I think Toub would be okay, but I don't quite understand why he's had multiple interviews and no one has pulled the trigger on him.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

But as I'm sure you've already said, better is not always on the market.

10 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

But as I'm sure you've already said, better is not always on the market.

That’s no reason to settle for Pagano. As long as Luck is playing, Indy will be an attractive destination for potential head coaches. 

This is why it's sort of a shame we hadn't let go of Chuck last year or the year before. I get it, there was a valid argument not to fire him. But still, we missed out on some solid candidates.

I'm curious as to if Ballard and Irsay see eye to eye when it comes to moving on from Chuck when it comes to considering the candidate pool. I wouldn't be surprised if Ballard wants to move on regardless and that Irsay might want to hold out for that "perfect" candidate. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lets say we fire Chuck and hire Toub. Out of curiosity why would anyone think Toub would be any better? What stands out on his resume that says he is better than Chuck? Just a fair question.

I don't know enough to answer that, however I know he has trust with Ballard, and that may benefit the draft as they have like minded ideas on which types of players to bring into the system. There's no concrete evidence right now. It would also be a fresh start with a new coaching staff, which would calm a lot of tension around here.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't know enough to answer that, however I know he has trust with Ballard, and they may benefit the draft as they have like minded ideas on which types of players to bring into the system. There's no concrete evidence right now. It would also be a fresh start with a new coaching staff, which would calm a lot of tension around here.

Yeah, we need a change but I am just not sure about Toub. Toub seems to be a name that keeps getting thrown around is why I ask the question. I do trust Ballard though.

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lets say we fire Chuck and hire Toub. Out of curiosity why would anyone think Toub would be any better? What stands out on his resume that says he is better than Chuck? Just a fair question.

I'm not a huge fan of Toub, but I figure one would point you to that Stampede Blue article about him. It's not overly impressive or anything but gives a good insight into what his strengths could be.

One thing I do like about him is that he's taught both sides of line play with ST, that he could theoritically excel there. But yeah, he's not a home run candidate I don't think.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, we need a change but I am just not sure about Toub. Toub seems to be a name that keeps getting thrown around is why I ask the question. I do trust Ballard though.

It would definitely be beneficial for Ballard to have someone that shares his ideas as our coach. The special teams should thrive for one, and I believe there will finally be chemistry between the GM and HC. That's something that's very underrated. The trust will be there. I actually don't know what schemes that Toub runs and what type of players he'd build the team around, but I imagine Ballard knows, and that's also important, which goes along with the chemistry. There's no way to tell how good he'll be yet, it's a risk for a 1st time coach. But a lot of little things work in our favor, and that's a better starting point then we'd get from a random coach that Ballard has never worked with.

Hope this makes you feel a little better.

One interesting thing about the possibility of Toub is what would happen with our current ST coach, McMahon? Then again that's a question no matter who is hired.

Not that he and Toub couldn't co-exist or anything, and we'd need a ST coordinator regardless, but just a thought. Patty Mac gave him really high praise and so did Ballard, even said he's the one who found Rigo in that interview with Mac.

8 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

One interesting thing about the possibility of Toub is what would happen with our current ST coach, McMahon? Then again that's a question no matter who is hired.

Not that he and Toub couldn't co-exist or anything, and we'd need a ST coordinator regardless, but just a thought. Patty Mac gave him really high praise and so did Ballard, even said he's the one who found Rigo in that interview with Mac.

I really like McMahon and would like to see him retained.  It's rare that coaches/coordinators are retained after head coach changes, but it can happen.  Howard Mudd and Tom Moore both survived the Mora/Dungy change.  

17 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

My gut tells me Toub would leave Mcmahon in place.   Our special teams are pretty good.  Who knows though.

40 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I'm not a huge fan of Toub, but I figure one would point you to that Stampede Blue article about him. It's not overly impressive or anything but gives a good insight into what his strengths could be.

One thing I do like about him is that he's taught both sides of line play with ST, that he could theoritically excel there. But yeah, he's not a home run candidate I don't think.

He might have the chemistry with Ballard but can he find the coordinators who want to work for him to get the job done.    A lot of his success will depend on who he hires and are they capable.  A guy like Harbaugh would be able to get the guys he wants most likely.  Toub might find it a tougher go. 

My take on Pagano:

When Grigson and Pagano were brought in, knowing nothing about nothing in the NFL coaching world I gave Irsay the benefit of the doubt that maybe he had some insight to "the next generation in great coaching team management."

There was a good amount of critical interpretation in the first few years, about all the "things" these up starts didn't know. For Pagano, that has kind of evolved as time has went on curious trick plays usually when one is not warranted, at the least poorly conceived and or executed, time outs, challenges and most importantly in game adjustments.

As time has went on, my biggest criticism (and I think it could have been mitigated and managed at a GM level if we had an experienced one) is the coordinator and positional coach level.

For a first time coach, my feeling is that we have needed top of the pack, or near top of the pack key positional coaching to off set the inexperience of Pagano. Or at the very least to smooth the learning curve.

Arians was great example of that possibility at OC....but since then, we have filled holes with young inexperienced up starts, or at best failed former head coaches, who were talented but by no means considered savants at their respective craft. Since Arians the only redeemable positional coach or coordinator is McMahon on ST.

The inability to recognize the lack of comprehensive experience/success in this league has been the biggest oversight in the last 4 or 5 years whatever its been, and although I am not a avid Pagano supporter, I think some experience/been there done that supporting cast types at positional coaching and coordinating levels could have improved the fan bases take on the job Pagano has done until now.

Paganos biggest failure in my estimation is the inability to build a well rounded innovative staff to make the adjustments, to scheme up schemes that draw from the strength of the personnel.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't know enough to answer that, however I know he has trust with Ballard, and that may benefit the draft as they have like minded ideas on which types of players to bring into the system. There's no concrete evidence right now. It would also be a fresh start with a new coaching staff, which would calm a lot of tension around here.

Create hope and excitement.  

5 hours ago, krunk said:

Hadn't really narrowed anyone down yet, but I prefer an experienced head coach who has previous success. Somebody like Harbaugh but I know there's slim to no chance on that front.  Somebody else was talking about Andy Reid possibly getting canned from the Chiefs.   I don't think that has much chance of  happening, but if it did I actually think he'd work very well with Luck and I love the way he calls plays.   

There's not too many people out there like this so this years crop of coaches if we make a change is likely to be somebody who is a first timer.  Somebody like Toub, Matt Nagy, or somebody else.   I think Toub would be okay, but I don't quite understand why he's had multiple interviews and no one has pulled the trigger on him.

That’s actually a fair point. But there are some guys who only get 1 interview and it ends up being the job they get. Pagano to my knowledge never had any HC interviews until the Colts called. I’d take a guy who has been interviewed a couple times over one who never has. My guess would be the reluctance of a team to hire STs coach is why he hasn’t gotten a job yet. Who knows. All I know is options are slim.

15 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

That’s actually a fair point. But there are some guys who only get 1 interview and it ends up being the job they get. Pagano to my knowledge never had any HC interviews until the Colts called. I’d take a guy who has been interviewed a couple times over one who never has. My guess would be the reluctance of a team to hire STs coach is why he hasn’t gotten a job yet. Who knows. All I know is options are slim.

You may be right about prejudice against a STs coach.  Too many teams don't give STs enough focus.  For the heck of it, I looked up Belichick, and yes, he did a couple stints coaching Special Teams.

The Ravens were mentioned earlier, so let's look at their model as opposed to the Pats.  The Ravens have won 2 Super Bowls in roughly the same amount of time the Colts have been to 2 Super Bowls, winning 1 of them.  They have had 2 coaches during said time, while we have had 3, but Caldwell wasn't here very long.  Their Longntime GM has built his team by drafting great defenses, while we Polian and Grigson have focused on offense.  The Ravens had great linemen too during this time.  One back rushed for over 2000 yards in a season and their Dline has been the envy of the league.  They play the Pats tougher than anyone else in the AFC imo.  Their coach is no genius by anyone's standard, but has won a SB and seems solid enough.  I think and hope that we follow their model, now that we have a defensive minded GM in Ballard.  We can never follow the Pats model because BB is a one of a kind coach/GM, but we can the Ravens.  I could have mentioned the Steelers too, but I think their success has been mostly due to Big Ben while I think the Ravens could actually be successful with other QBs.  A lot of our decision making has almost killed our star QB and I think there is plenty of people to blame.  Irsay, Pags, Grigson, Arians, Chud, Pep, etc....Our philosophy needs to change going forward. Imo

20 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Little off topic, but the bolded brings up an interesting point. Some people have said they would considering not moving on from Chuck if there's not a great candidate pool, yet Chuck himself wasn't anywhere close to a being home run candidate when he was hired.

He even said he was shocked that he drew interest from the Colts, didn't think he'd get the job. Wasn't regarded as an up and coming potential HC, not that he wasn't respected, just that nobody really pegged him as HC material.

All this is to say that I trust Ballard to make a solid hire, even if it's not the (nearly) perfect candidate like Harbaugh.