Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All Colts Head Coach Discussions (merge) The Indianapolis Colts Are Officially Eliminated From The 2017 Playoffs

BlueShoe

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/3/2017 at 4:43 PM, SLILLINGTON10 said:

I really do wish we start cleaning house this week, so we can start putting our short lists together and start interviews as early as possible.

I don't usually think interviews occur until the season is over due to a general understanding that coaching candidates are often still under obligation to continue coaching for their current teams. So I see no reason to clean house just yet. It would just seems like a fruitless statement firing at this point. But who knows, I guess.

45 minutes ago, funktacious2 said:

I don't usually think interviews occur until the season is over due to a general understanding that coaching candidates are often still under obligation to continue coaching for their current teams. So I see no reason to clean house just yet. It would just seems like a fruitless statement firing at this point. But who knows, I guess.

Teams with vacancies can interview coaches during the playoffs. During bye weeks, so a month out from actual interviews for a guy like McDaniels if he is on the short list. Permission has to be granted, then logistics planned, and contract negotiations. Not to forget the Rooney rule... so the early we can start at this point the better.

12 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

My question is, the Giants are cleaning house today...why cant we fire Pagano already?! I know Irsay and Ballard will likely wait till after the season but IMO it should be done sooner than later, more opportunity to start introducing candidates and not only letting all the possible candidates know "hey come to Indy vacancy open" but i think its better for the attitude and moral of the players to know that they have a GM and owner that are not afraid to take initiative and make changes and if they make the team next season they will be playing for a new head coach. Having Chuck coach out the season IMO is a stupid way to go about the situation.

Honestly I don't see Giants having any benefit derived from this firing at this point of the season. Neither would it be beneficial for the Colts, other than satisfying fans. I believe McAdoo was kept until 'Black Monday' if he hadn't benched Eli Manning. 

14 hours ago, a06cc said:

I’m hearing a lot of things. From Pagano being fired to him staying another season. Who knows what’s going to happen at this point. Waiting on Jim Irsay. 

I just hope it isn’t like last offseason where he goes completely silent for a week. Whatever decision he makes needs to be swift. There isn’t much to think about IMO.

But in regards to the OP concerning the Giants, Irsay won’t do it because he doesn’t have that killer instinct that other Owners do.

10 hours ago, sfergson727 said:

It is not like we haven't fired a coach mid-season before.  Come on Irsay, pull the trigger now.  Have some mercy on us poor fans.

Jim Irsay has never fired a head coach during the season.

As far as mercy it is the fans that make themselves rabid and put themselves in a frame of mind that they become obsessed.

If he was getting fired this week, it would have happened yesterday. Not going to happen next Monday (even after we make Peterman look like a Hall of Famer) because there is a short week with the Thursday game.

I suppose it could happen on Friday after the Denver game if the Colts lose. This would make some sense, to add a little positive vibe to the last home game, and avoid potential derisive chants towards Chuck, which would be unfortunate. 

• Nadine pinned this topic

This website just posted an interview with Chris Ballard that was taken from an appearance on a local radio station.  It reads like he is very pleased with a lot of the individual player development and team effort.  He really signaled out the defensive improvement and how the coaches are happy with how the new players have fit well into the 3-4 scheme.  Made me think we are going to stay with that scheme.  He mentioned he would meet with the coaches at the close of the year to review all of the players.  If you fire a head coach on Black Monday that pretty much does it for his staff as well.  I thought it was a very upbeat and positive interview with a positive outlook on the future of the team as a whole.   Not a hint of any dissatisfaction with the coaching that I could detect.  You need a defendable reason to fire a coach.  It's a big deal.  Under this years circumstances I am not so sure it is a given.  Especially after reading this interview. 

Yeah, that interview kind of made me start wondering too, about Ballard possibly wanting to keep Chuck.

I know he's not going to say anything too negative to the media, and he's probably very careful to not stir any rumors up, but yeah. Not that I think it's likely, just that it's possible.

I've been saying for a couple weeks now he's coming back. 

Its going to happen. They wanted to see player development, and we've seen that. Per the Pagano way he has a never ending stream of excuses, with Luck being of the chief among them. 

Weve given a lot of games away this year with late collapses. Those collapses probably don't happen with Luck playing, and that's the stance they are going to take. 

9 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I've been saying for a couple weeks now he's coming back. 

Its going to happen. They wanted to see player development, and we've seen that. Per the Pagano way he has a never ending stream of excuses, with Luck being of the chief among them. 

Weve given a lot of games away this year with late collapses. Those collapses probably don't happen with Luck playing, and that's the stance they are going to take. 

yeah and the fan base will have a melt down, then there will be a rumor about Irsay wanting to move the Colts to city XYZ.... etc, etc, etc.

I still think Pagano goes, wont be completely shocked if he is kept.  I think ultimately it'll come down to whether someone they like/want is available. 

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

My point is as a Colt fan no matter who the coach is why in the world would you say they deserve to go 0-16?

It makes zero sense.

Sure it does.   Deserves is not the same as hoping for.    If the Colts would have drafted Brandon Weeden instead of Andrew Luck in 2012, they would deserve to have some poor QB performances.    Kind of the reaping what you sow thing.   

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Jim Irsay has never fired a head coach during the season.

As far as mercy it is the fans that make themselves rabid and put themselves in a frame of mind that they become obsessed.

Notice I said Colts, not Jim Irsay.  A little reading comprehension may help from time to time.  And just because someone has not done something in the past does not mean it won't happen in the future.  Come on man, you should know better than that.

I have a stupid question Miami and the Jets are fighting for the last wild-card spot. Both of them are five and seven. Miami plays New England the Jets plays the Broncos... if I was a betting man I would say New England will beat Miami. And if I was a betting man I would think the Broncos would beat the Jets which would put both teams at 5 and 8 we're sitting at 3 and 9. Let's just say we beat buffalo on Sunday that would put us at 4 and 9 but I have the Jets losing one more and I have Miami losing one possibly two more. If all three teams and up 7 & 9.... who gets the wild-card spot

Playing "The Devil's Advocate"....what type of Offense would you like Indy to run with a possible new HC?  Also, what Defense would you like seen run?

I am hopeful that IF a coaching change is made, Indy uses an offensive line that utilizes both Man and ZBS depending on situation....with the possibility of having the ability to utilize the stretch, ala Mack, and some slant and quick, mid routes, while taking some deep shots when needed.  Power up the middle in short yardage situations...I know, alot to ask, lmao!

Defensively, I would like to stay with the 3-4 with more aggressive CB's and a MUCH improved pass rush that utilizes ALL personnel.  My favorite defensive play is a Corner blitz.....

Just food for thought and I am unsure whom may fit that bill but curious of other's thoughts?

1 hour ago, sfergson727 said:

Notice I said Colts, not Jim Irsay.  A little reading comprehension may help from time to time.  And just because someone has not done something in the past does not mean it won't happen in the future.  Come on man, you should know better than that.

All I can say to that is Jimmy is not Robert, thank God.

1 minute ago, colt18 said:

If Ballard keeps Pags in 2018...jfc

I already had little interest in watching us blow games this season. Luck will make me watch no matter what but Pags will really temper my excitement. The whole coaching staff has to go.

We are fans, really serious, passionate fans.  Fortunately more knowledgeable men than us are being paid to make those big decisions.  I'll trust their judgement. 

23 hours ago, Brent Bowers said:

If we don't fire Chuck then me definitely fire chudzinski he isn't calling the right offensive plays and our talents are being wasted with him as the OC

Chud is what pagano's third or fourth OC... all but BA called the same kind of offense/scheme. My guess is, this is the offense pagano wants to try an execute; he is the constant. 

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

We are fans, really serious, passionate fans.  Fortunately more knowledgeable men than us are being paid to make those big decisions.  I'll trust their judgement. 

...okay?

there are more knowledgeable men that are paid to run the Browns. that doesn't mean they are incapable of making the wrong decisions.

10 minutes ago, colt18 said:

...okay?

there are more knowledgeable men that are paid to run the Browns. that doesn't mean they are incapable of making the wrong decisions.

I never said they were incapable of making a wrong decision.  I said they were more knowledgeable than fans and are being paid well for their knowledge to make those decisions. 

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I never said they were incapable of making a wrong decision.  I said they were more knowledgeable than fans and are being paid well for their knowledge to make those decisions. 

I never said that you did.

My point is that no matter how much they are paid, they can still make the wrong decision, which keeping Pagano would be.

To my eyes, in this year six, I have seen far too many, of what I consider to be, coaching errors.  

Also, to me it just feels like the current regime has lost the confidence of the public. (I know that for me, this is the year I have lost faith in the regime, now feeling like a change needs to be made.)

Plus, I think it will be a substantial PR challenge next year, if the current regime is retained.

Quite honestly, I will be shocked if Pagano is retained.

15 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Playing "The Devil's Advocate"....what type of Offense would you like Indy to run with a possible new HC?  Also, what Defense would you like seen run?

I am hopeful that IF a coaching change is made, Indy uses an offensive line that utilizes both Man and ZBS depending on situation....with the possibility of having the ability to utilize the stretch, ala Mack, and some slant and quick, mid routes, while taking some deep shots when needed.  Power up the middle in short yardage situations...I know, alot to ask, lmao!

Defensively, I would like to stay with the 3-4 with more aggressive CB's and a MUCH improved pass rush that utilizes ALL personnel.  My favorite defensive play is a Corner blitz.....

Just food for thought and I am unsure whom may fit that bill but curious of other's thoughts?

Offensively I’m looking for a traditional west coast offense, but sprinkled with some read option. I want to move away from having a simple up the gut rushing style and go to more stretch plays and passes out the backfield for the RB.

Defensively, I’d prefer to move to a 4-3. You need to have a DC like Phillips to run a real 3-4. Plus I’d prefer more off-ball linebackers.

11 hours ago, colt18 said:

...okay?

The idea from many contributors on this board seems to be "what do you know, pros run the Colts."  Your response effectively shuts that argument down.

Excellent point.

17 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Think we should stay with the 3-4 as well

17 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Also would like to see a more play action oriented offense that makes more use of the backs as weapons in the passing game.  Want to see more emphasis on the running game as a weapon to open up the passing game.  I like Mike Shanahans scheme.  It works even better when you have a top tier quarterback.