Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All Colts Head Coach Discussions (merge) The Indianapolis Colts Are Officially Eliminated From The 2017 Playoffs

BlueShoe

2 minutes ago, dudley dawson said:

I think Harbaugh is a possibility.  I think the next coach will be either Harbaugh, Gruden, or Taub.

I don't know why but I am also starting to think Harbaugh is a possibility.  Gruden has pretty much said he is ready to come back.  Taub is already on the list.  I agree.  I think it's one of those three along with Shaw being a surprise under the radar possibility. 

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, rockywoj said:

In trying to figure out that head scratcher, could this be the case ...

It lookied like the kick came from the same spot of the successful extra point, in that the kicking spot was already cleared.   For that extra point, a bunch of players were hard at work to clear the area for the kick, but doing so actually took quite a bit of time.   My wonder is, if the Colts had instead run a play and had successfully gotten closer, would they then in turn have had enough time to clear a new spot to kick from, rather than using the already cleared spot?

This is the only thing I can think of that might explain why they didn’t try to get closer.  That the area was already cleared for kicking.

the interview with AV suggests that it wasnt in the same spot as the PAT and that it wasnt cleared off very well

Like many here, I feel like it's time for a change.  We have a GM that I'm sure wants to put his guy into the Head Coaching position (whoever that may be) and then build a staff to suit our philosophy and roster.  I know that the roster will change quite a bit between now and the start of the 2018 season, but with the core that will be here and the philosophy that's put into place, then our FA pursuits and draft strategy will be more focused.

I believe whoever coached our team this year would have had a hard time winning more than 3 games with the rash of injuries we've had.  Without a lot of depth, we just don't have the talent to overcome average or mediocre coaching.  I know the blame will go to Pagano, because he's the head coach, but there are a lot of coaches here that have under-performed.

To me, the Head Coach manages the game and the team more than he coaches.  Knowing how to manage the clock, line-up adjustments, communicating with the assistant coaches and working the officials is his job.  The real coaching is done by the assistants during practice and film study.  All of these elements then are supposed to come together as the game plan is set.

There have been a real lack of adjustments at halftime and during games this year, several instances of poor clock management and other failures that have been discussed here over and over.

Ballard strikes me as a very organized, focused individual and I would expect our next head coach to have those same characteristics.  Someone who can manage, delegate and oversee the whole on-field operation.

Ballard has had plenty of chances to evaluate the roster, given the extra playing time our back-ups have amassed due to injury. 

It promises to be a very interesting off season and a nice change of pace after suffering through this difficult season.

Onward and upward!

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I don't know why but I am also starting to think Harbaugh is a possibility.  Gruden has pretty much said he is ready to come back.  Taub is already on the list.  I agree.  I think it's one of those three along with Shaw being a surprise under the radar possibility. 

While I am for sure not in the knowledge of who Irsay and or Ballard is going to pick but IMO Gruden would not be one I would be interested in. He is more famous for just being famous as his record has shown he does not do that well when a team packed with talent is not set up for him. There is a lot more to being a head coach than breaking down film and interviewing new QBs. The head coach has to be a leader and have his players buy into him. His time with the Bucs he was not thought of well by the players who played for him. The Bucs won their super bowl with the Players Dungy had in place. When they did win their rings it was Dungy the players first gave credit to. It was no a coincidence that he coached at a few teams before walking into a super bowl ready team.

I know I am in a minority but I am used to that. :D

38 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

While I am for sure not in the knowledge of who Irsay and or Ballard is going to pick but IMO Gruden would not be one I would be interested in. He is more famous for just being famous as his record has shown he does not do that well when a team packed with talent is not set up for him. There is a lot more to being a head coach than breaking down film and interviewing new QBs. The head coach has to be a leader and have his players buy into him. His time with the Bucs he was not thought of well by the players who played for him. The Bucs won their super bowl with the Players Dungy had in place. When they did win their rings it was Dungy the players first gave credit to. It was no a coincidence that he coached at a few teams before walking into a super bowl ready team.

Holy % maybe your best post ever 

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

He coached ONE team prior, the Raiders, whom he then faced (and beat) in the Superbowl.  I don't like the "He-took-Dungy's-team-to-the-Superbowl" argument.  Dungy couldn't get it done there and Gruden did.  Give the man some credit.

24 minutes ago, dudley dawson said:

He coached ONE team prior, the Raiders, whom he then faced (and beat) in the Superbowl.  I don't like the "He-took-Dungy's-team-to-the-Superbowl" argument.  Dungy couldn't get it done there and Gruden did.  Give the man some credit.

Jon Gruden is not a good coach.   He coached one team prior and "couldn't get it done".  Took Dungy's already built team to a SB win then .....   "couldn't get it done". After that

1 hour ago, dudley dawson said:

He coached for the 49ers, the Packers, the Eagles and the Raiders before the Bucs.

Did I say Head Coach? No I didn't.

It is your freedom to like him all you want but I just happen not to.

He is more interested in the camera stuck in his face. As I have said more than once. He lights up like a Christmas Tree every time a camera gets within 50 feet of him.

IMO we don't need that type of head coach. He has made himself famous by putting his "Chucky" face on and running it into the ground.

1 hour ago, Coltfreak said:

Jon Gruden is not a good coach.   He coached one team prior and "couldn't get it done".  Took Dungy's already built team to a SB win then .....   "couldn't get it done". After that

So let’s say Colts win the Superbowl next year with Taub as HC. Are we going to credit Pagano for the win just because he coached them a few years prior?

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He coached for the 49ers, the Packers, the Eagles and the Raiders before the Bucs.

Did I say Head Coach? No I didn't.

It is your freedom to like him all you want but I just happen not to.

He is more interested in the camera stuck in his face. As I have said more than once. He lights up like a Christmas Tree every time a camera gets within 50 feet of him.

IMO we don't need that type of head coach. He has made himself famous by putting his "Chucky" face on and running it into the ground.

So you’re criticizing him for having the normal career trajectory of just about every coach?

2 hours ago, dudley dawson said:

So let’s say Colts win the Superbowl next year with Taub as HC. Are we going to credit Pagano for the win just because he coached them a few years prior?

Actually no.   I would give Luck credit.    And I would give credit to Ballard for not having Chud and Pagano coaching

18 hours ago, Corndog said:

Here is an article on potential head coaches(from last year), but mainly about Toub.  This guy has a lot of respect around the league and I have a feeling this will the year he finally gets his head coaching gig.  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-12-best-nfl-coaching-candidates-and-the-one-that-teams-are-too-scared-to-hire/

I’ve heard a lot about him but that article really sold me on him. The author seems to know what he’s talking about too since he was right about Sean McDermott and Sean McVay.

Without any proof to substantiate my opinion...

Even with all the positive stuffstuff about Toub, I'm definitely a little iffy still on a lifelong special teams coach running the entire show. Ballard has to get our offense to become more dynamic, not rely on a QB to pull out last minute wins.

I wonder what the strategy will be with getting a new staff. If it's Taub picking, will he bring in who he thinks, or will Ballard pick the OC,DC?

I honestly hope Ballard gets some veteran guys at the other position coaches. Don't want an OC or DC learning on the job again. 

Part of me thinks getting veteran coaches across the board (forgetting the Toub plan) is definitely another good option.

I'm definitely torn. Just hoping we get O and D coaches who've had actual success in the league. Not guys who were position coaches who had squads ranking in the high 20's for most of there careers.

All just random thoughts. Apologies on the rant.

17 hours ago, IinD said:

Even with all the positive stuffstuff about Toub, I'm definitely a little iffy still on a lifelong special teams coach running the entire show. Ballard has to get our offense to become more dynamic, not rely on a QB to pull out last minute wins.

I wonder what the strategy will be with getting a new staff. If it's Taub picking, will he bring in who he thinks, or will Ballard pick the OC,DC?

I honestly hope Ballard gets some veteran guys at the other position coaches. Don't want an OC or DC learning on the job again. 

Part of me thinks getting veteran coaches across the board (forgetting the Toub plan) is definitely another good option.

I'm definitely torn. Just hoping we get O and D coaches who've had actual success in the league. Not guys who were position coaches who had squads ranking in the high 20's for most of there careers.

John Harbaugh was a Special Teams coach before he got the Head Coaching job with the Ravens, and that has worked out pretty well for him. I am sure that Ballard and Irsay will pick a coach who they feel is a good fit for the organization. 

13 minutes ago, Fisher8820 said:

John Harbaugh was a Special Teams coach before he got the Head Coaching job with the Ravens, and that has worked out pretty well for him. I am sure that Ballard and Irsay will pick a coach who they feel is a good fit for the organization. 

Nah, I think Irsay and Ballard will go with someone who don't fit the organization. :spit:

26 minutes ago, Fisher8820 said:

People mention Harbaugh but Harbaugh has a lot of coaching in his family history which makes it a bit easier for a decision like that.  Father was a big time coach,  Brother is a coach so on and so forth. I'm sure it was a bit easier to envision him being a coach.  I think Toub would be okay but just pointing out some differences when it comes to Harbaugh.

5 hours ago, krunk said:

People mention Harbaugh but Harbaugh has a lot of coaching in his family history which makes it a bit easier for a decision like that.  Father was a big time coach,  Brother is a coach so on and so forth. I'm sure it was a bit easier to envision him being a coach.  I think Toub would be okay but just pointing out some differences when it comes to Harbaugh.

Yeah I see your points about the Harbaugh coaching family and how it would be easier to envision him as a head coach. 

20 hours ago, krunk said:

Family pedigree does account for something but I think we have to examine a more comprehensive body of work and league connections/thoughts among other things when evaluating a head coach candidate. IMO.

34 minutes ago, Restored said:

Family pedigree does account for something but I think we have to examine a more comprehensive body of work and league connections/thoughts among other things when evaluating a head coach candidate. IMO.

Of course, but I'm just speaking on what helps you envision Harbaugh as a coach.

The background helps you wrap your mind around it if you have questions about having only a special teams back ground.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

For HeadCoach? He was lousy when he coached the Bears and he's old. I hope we hire someone that is fairly young and proven.

Eh, the Bears as an entire team underwhelmed, they went 8-8 his first season and 5-11 the second. They also ended his first season with the second best scoring offense with Jay Cutler and Josh McCown. 

Maybe not for head coach, but offensive coordinator?

5 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Eh, the Bears as an entire team underwhelmed, they went 8-8 his first season and 5-11 the second. They also ended his first season with the second best scoring offense with Jay Cutler and Josh McCown. 

Maybe not for head coach, but offensive coordinator?

That is what I was thinking as well. As an OC he would be intriguing and figured that was what you were thinking. I have feeling we hire Toub. He is fairly young at 55 and has ties to Ballard. We will see.

After looking at the top candidates available here are the following people I'm liking in random order.

Pat Shurmur  - Vikings offense has been fairly decent despite playing with Case Keenum all year.  Shurmur also made Nick Foles into a pro-bowler in Philly.  Has head coaching experience with the Browns winning 4 games one year and 5 the next.  Which is Browns terms is a pretty darn good season.

Matt Patrica - Quietly been fielding good defenses year after year after year.  A completely unsung hero because all the media attention is on Tom Brady, but no one ever talks about how Tom Brady always has a top 5 or top 10 defense.  

I think in part he's hurt because he doesn't have the "look" of a head coach.  

Of course the negative on him is that Belichick assistants don't have a good history of doing well away from Belichick.

Frank Reight - Philly offense is hot. Guy has developed Carson Wentz from a standout FCS quarterback to one of the top QB's in the NFL in the space of 2 years.  I'm also noting that this has happened while Philly doesn't have any grade A level skill players.  They have Zach Ertz who is probably a top 10 TE.  But I don't see a top 10 receiver on their team ( I don't think Jeffery would be a top 10 receiver) and in terms of RB's they just got Ajayi but they got him mid season. 

Bonus: Frank Reight started his coaching career in Indianapolis.

Todd Bowles: If he's fired.  The Jets have terrible talent.  People seem to forget in the offseason the management of the Jets purposefully tried to tank the season to get the #1 pick.  Before the season the talk was if the Jets would win a single game.  Many people where asking if they would even get a single first down!!!

Todd Bowles squashed that and has won 5 games.  

Thoughts

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Jeff Fisher is eyeing the Chi, Indy and Cle gigs...

I almost threw up in my mouth thinking about Fisher as the Colts coach.

Honest to god, I'd keep Pagano over hiring Fisher.

My goodness..  How he managed to make Gurley look so bad last year is beyond me. The game passed Jeff Fisher about a decade ago.

On 12/5/2017 at 5:03 PM, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Playing "The Devil's Advocate"....what type of Offense would you like Indy to run with a possible new HC?  Also, what Defense would you like seen run?

I am hopeful that IF a coaching change is made, Indy uses an offensive line that utilizes both Man and ZBS depending on situation....with the possibility of having the ability to utilize the stretch, ala Mack, and some slant and quick, mid routes, while taking some deep shots when needed.  Power up the middle in short yardage situations...I know, alot to ask, lmao!

Defensively, I would like to stay with the 3-4 with more aggressive CB's and a MUCH improved pass rush that utilizes ALL personnel.  My favorite defensive play is a Corner blitz.....

Just food for thought and I am unsure whom may fit that bill but curious of other's thoughts?

sounds like it would work

On 12/11/2017 at 7:46 PM, Coltfreak said:

The guy who "built" the core of that Bucs team was Sam Wyche 

8 hours ago, The Fish said:

Jeff Fisher is eyeing the Chi, Indy and Cle gigs...

I almost threw up in my mouth thinking about Fisher as the Colts coach.

Honest to god, I'd keep Pagano over hiring Fisher.

Fisher is the epitome of mediocre..... but still better than Barney Fife.

On 12/12/2017 at 10:05 PM, IinD said:

The new coach will pick,his own staff.

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

Fisher is the epitome of mediocre..... but still better than Barney Fife.

I'm 99.999% sure we'll never have to find out what Fisher would do here, but I stand by my point. 

I'm not sure what Fisher is actually good at. Pagano is a good cheerleader and the team doesn't hate him.