Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All Colts Head Coach Discussions (merge) The Indianapolis Colts Are Officially Eliminated From The 2017 Playoffs

BlueShoe

On 12/9/2017 at 11:19 AM, Fisticuffs111 said:

Little off topic, but the bolded brings up an interesting point. Some people have said they would considering not moving on from Chuck if there's not a great candidate pool, yet Chuck himself wasn't anywhere close to a being home run candidate when he was hired.

He even said he was shocked that he drew interest from the Colts, didn't think he'd get the job. Wasn't regarded as an up and coming potential HC, not that he wasn't respected, just that nobody really pegged him as HC material.

All this is to say that I trust Ballard to make a solid hire, even if it's not the (nearly) perfect candidate like Harbaugh.

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken...but wasn't Chuck Pagano essentially the Colts second choice candidate?  I seem to remember that they really wanted some defensive coordinator with Pittsburgh but when that did not happen they went with Pagano.  At the time, we were hopeful he would be a good defensive mind due to his background with the Ravens.  We hoped he would bring a formidable defense to Indy.  Man...did that not happen.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken...but wasn't Chuck Pagano essentially the Colts second choice candidate?  I seem to remember that they really wanted some defensive coordinator with Pittsburgh but when that did not happen they went with Pagano.  At the time, we were hopeful he would be a good defensive mind due to his background with the Ravens.  We hoped he would bring a formidable defense to Indy.  Man...did that not happen.

The Colts interviewed, or at least requested interviews, with Saints OC Pete Carmichael, Brad Childress, Titans DC Jerry Gray (who was noted to also satisfy the Rooney rule), and the 49ers ST coordinator at the time Brad Seely.

I'm not sure about who we were interested in though. I always remember thinking it was a pretty weak group of candidates.

5 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

The Colts interviewed, or at least requested interviews, for Saints OC Pete Carmichael, Brad Childress, Titans DC Jerry Gray (who was noted to also satisfy the Rooney rule), and the 49ers ST coordinator at the time Brad Seely.

I'm not sure about who we were interested in though. I always remember thinking it was a pretty weak group of candidates.

It sure was a weak group. 

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

No I’m not sure if he wasn’t their second choice but Manusky was their second choice.  They wanted Keith Butler for their DC but, the Steelers let Leboe go and promoted Butler so they wouldn’t lose him.

49 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

The Colts interviewed, or at least requested interviews, with Saints OC Pete Carmichael, Brad Childress, Titans DC Jerry Gray (who was noted to also satisfy the Rooney rule), and the 49ers ST coordinator at the time Brad Seely.

If I’m not mistaken we also interviewed Mike Zimmer and maybe Jay Gruden.  I REALLY wanted Zimmer.

On 12/9/2017 at 11:19 AM, Fisticuffs111 said:

Little off topic, but the bolded brings up an interesting point. Some people have said they would considering not moving on from Chuck if there's not a great candidate pool, yet Chuck himself wasn't anywhere close to a being home run candidate when he was hired.

He even said he was shocked that he drew interest from the Colts, didn't think he'd get the job. Wasn't regarded as an up and coming potential HC, not that he wasn't respected, just that nobody really pegged him as HC material.

All this is to say that I trust Ballard to make a solid hire, even if it's not the (nearly) perfect candidate like Harbaugh.

Both Pagano and Grigson were unknown hires. No one was really raving about them ahead of time and both only got interest from the Colts. It’s almost ironic how Irsay went with the diamond in rough approach when hiring his FO and that was Grigson’s motto that never really came to fruition, much like the potential of him and Pagano.

While it’s possible to strike gold sometimes, hiring unknowns to coach can be just as big a disaster as hiring retreads from the same coaching tree (i.e. Childress, Shurmur, Turner, etc...). However I’d prefer a guy who at least has some buzz in coaches circles. Toub or Nagy seem to be the hot names.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Both Pagano and Grigson were unknown hires. No one was really raving about them ahead of time and both only got interest from the Colts. It’s almost ironic how Irsay went with the diamond in rough approach when hiring his FO and that was Grigson’s motto that never really came to fruition, much like the potential of him and Pagano.

While it’s possible to strike gold sometimes, hiring unknowns to coach can be just as big a disaster as hiring retreads from the same coaching tree (i.e. Childress, Shurmur, Turner, etc...). However I’d prefer a guy who at least has some buzz in coaches circles. Toub or Nagy seem to be the hot names.

Toub and Nagy are hot names on this site.   I haven't seen there names mentioned elsewhere as potential HC's.  

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Toub and Nagy are hot names on this site.   I haven't seen there names mentioned elsewhere as potential HC's.  

Toub has interviewed for head coaching jobs in previous seasons. He's a known commodity. He's probably mentioned more here because of his connection with Ballard both in Chicago and KC, and because Pagano's seat is basically an erupting volcano at this point. 

Just read an article where the Redskins D. J. Sweringer just called out his coach Jay Gruden for having "blah" practices.  The losses aren't surprising to him because the practices are so bad.  Looks like things are unraveling in Washington.  There's a Gruden who might be available.  And the haters think we have it bad.  Any takers on him over Chuck?  

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Grigson interviewed with multiple other teams and was viewed as a hot candidate around the league. The Rams had him high on their list and only hired Les Snead after Grigson got hired by the Colts. 

And Pagano wasn't an unknown, he was just a one year coordinator. He had been in the league with several teams. 

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I haven't seen his name mentioned this season.  Only here. 

There's only one coaching vacancy right now. You've heard his name here because of Ballard, which goes back to people wondering whether Pagano would go before this season.

He interviewed with the Broncos and the Chargers last year. He interviewed with the Dolphins in 2012 and the Bears in 2013. He's been "on the list" for years, whether you've heard of him or not. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

There's only one coaching vacancy right now. You've heard his name here because of Ballard, which goes back to people wondering whether Pagano would go before this season.

He interviewed with the Broncos and the Chargers last year. He interviewed with the Dolphins in 2012 and the Bears in 2013. He's been "on the list" for years, whether you've heard of him or not. 

There have been articles this year discussing potential coaches who would be considered candidates for HC openings for 2018.  I don't remember him being mentioned.  Maybe this will be his year.  If anyone is going to interview him I would think it would be Dorsey. 

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

There have been articles this year discussing potential coaches who would be considered candidates for HC openings for 2018.  I don't remember him being mentioned.  Maybe this will be his year.  If anyone is going to interview him I would think it would be Dorsey. 

Haslam was pretty definitive about keeping Jackson, so I don't see Dorsey interviewing anyone. 

6 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I wish someone would explain that Pagano timeout on the Bengals drive before halftime. I still don't get it. 

He seems to have a habit of calling at least one really strange timeout per game.

You just now bringing this up? Why Is that?

Maybe he seen something in the defense he didn't like? That's what coaches do.

11 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Now that Dorsey is the GM of the Browns I would expect Toub and Nagy to be on his list and he has a head start.  I will be interested to see who he ends up interviewing.  

Didn't the Browns come out and say Hue Jackson will be their HC for 2018 irrespective of final record?

From Kravitz' new piece: "And make no mistake, he’s lost elements of this locker room, players confiding in off-the-record asides that they are over Pagano and his game-day mishaps."

https://www.wthr.com/article/kravitz-in-snow-in-rain-or-in-a-dome-the-colts-find-interesting-new-ways-to-lose-again

I know some people hate Kravitz, and I get that he's kind of a shticky personality, but he's as respected a journalist there is in that locker room. Mathis even said as much, so it's not hard for me to believe certain players are telling him things like this off the record.

My difficulty with assessing potential HC's is that it takes a different skill set to that of an OC/DC/STC.

There have been many coordinators who have been phenomenal at their job and stepped into HC shoes and struggled (McDaniels being the easy target), yet there are people like McVay who step in and look like ducks taking to water without any major buzz around them beforehand.

I like the idea of sticking with a known commodity (Harbaugh would be great but I see the argument against that hire) but I think all we can do is trust in Ballard.  He has been very solid in decision making this year and so you have to trust he will have a list of qualities he wants in a HC, and will give the reins to the man who ticks most of those boxes.

On Pagano, I really like him as a man, seems a great character who the players love......it is just time for a fresh start, but I genuinely wish him success elsewhere.

52 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I missed most of the game yesterday due to having a sudden project at work. Other than the botched effort on the final field goal attempt before OT, did chuck have any other blunders? Normally he's good for two a game minimum 

Yes his brain freeze with 47 seconds left by letting the clock go down to 7 without a play. Adam then tried long FG from middle of field in blizzard conditions and not to the right.

13 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

No I’m not sure if he wasn’t their second choice but Manusky was their second choice.  They wanted Keith Butler for their DC but, the Steelers let Leboe go and promoted Butler so they wouldn’t lose him.

Thank you that was exactly what I couldn't recall clearly.  Thanks for the clarification.

1 hour ago, JColts72 said:

Yes his brain freeze with 47 seconds left by letting the clock go down to 7 without a play. Adam then tried long FG from middle of field in blizzard conditions and not to the right.

In trying to figure out that head scratcher, could this be the case ...

It lookied like the kick came from the same spot of the successful extra point, in that the kicking spot was already cleared.   For that extra point, a bunch of players were hard at work to clear the area for the kick, but doing so actually took quite a bit of time.   My wonder is, if the Colts had instead run a play and had successfully gotten closer, would they then in turn have had enough time to clear a new spot to kick from, rather than using the already cleared spot?

This is the only thing I can think of that might explain why they didn’t try to get closer.  That the area was already cleared for kicking.

22 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

In trying to figure out that head scratcher, could this be the case ...

It lookied like the kick came from the same spot of the successful extra point, in that the kicking spot was already cleared.   For that extra point, a bunch of players were hard at work to clear the area for the kick, but doing so actually took quite a bit of time.   My wonder is, if the Colts had instead run a play and had successfully gotten closer, would they then in turn have had enough time to clear a new spot to kick from, rather than using the already cleared spot?

This is the only thing I can think of that might explain why they didn’t try to get closer.  That the area was already cleared for kicking.

Plenty of articles on Adam wanting it towards right hash as when the ball was spiked with 7 seconds, it was in the middle.

1 hour ago, colt18 said:

Could Pag's seat get any hotter? I doubt it :lolbron:

Even a day in a blizzard results in his seat getting hotter.  He basically admitted that he cost the Colts a possible chance to win by not getting the plays in needed to put Vinny on the right hash.  Seems every week he is saying "it's my fault."  I do agree with one thing Pags said though.  "The players deserved better."

7 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Even a day in a blizzard results in his seat getting hotter.  He basically admitted that he cost the Colts a possible chance to win by not getting the plays in needed to put Vinny on the right hash.  Seems every week he is saying "it's my fault."  I do agree with one thing Pags said though.  "The players deserved better."

Did we have a time out to call to ice our own kicker? That could have been used for clearing snow. I don't remember exactly.

Just now, chad72 said:

Did we have a time out to call to ice our own kicker? That could have been used for clearing snow. I don't remember exactly.

No we were out of time outs.  Pagano let about 40 whole seconds run off before he simply had Brissett spike the ball.  We had time to get the ball to the right and still stop the clock with a spike.  We literally did nothing to improve our field position to help Vinny out.  Pagano admitted he screwed that up in his presser. 

13 minutes ago, Corndog said:

Here is an article on potential head coaches(from last year), but mainly about Toub.  This guy has a lot of respect around the league and I have a feeling this will the year he finally gets his head coaching gig.  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-12-best-nfl-coaching-candidates-and-the-one-that-teams-are-too-scared-to-hire/

The more I read about Toub, the more I want him. Seems to have a lot of respect around the league like how Ballard does.

1 hour ago, Restored said:

The more I read about Toub, the more I want him. Seems to have a lot of respect around the league like how Ballard does.

I agree and Ballard definitely knows him pretty well.  The major criticism would be no experience at head coach.  But in my opinion, there are no guarantee head coaches out there.  Would you rather have one of the coaches that got fired?  They have experience, but have failed.  

1 hour ago, Corndog said:

I agree and Ballard definitely knows him pretty well.  The major criticism would be no experience at head coach.  But in my opinion, there are no guarantee head coaches out there.  Would you rather have one of the coaches that got fired?  They have experience, but have failed.  

Right. And the only other coach with experience that would make sense is Harbaugh but we all know that ship has sailed. People have said McDaniels or Patricia but I'm skeptical of anyone from the BB tree since most of them haven't done anything once they've left the nest. Toub seems like the most logical fit.

The interesting part will be who he would bring in to be the OC/DC. My assumption is some KC guys.

53 minutes ago, Restored said:

Right. And the only other coach with experience that would make sense is Harbaugh but we all know that ship has sailed. People have said McDaniels or Patricia but I'm skeptical of anyone from the BB tree since most of them haven't done anything once they've left the nest. Toub seems like the most logical fit.

The interesting part will be who he would bring in to be the OC/DC. My assumption is some KC guys.

I think Harbaugh is a possibility.  I think the next coach will be either Harbaugh, Gruden, or Taub.

Just now, dudley dawson said:

I think Harbaugh is a possibility.  I think the next coach will be either Harbaugh, Gruden, or Taub.

Just don't know how Irsay makes an offer that is more sweet than what Harbaugh already has at Michigan. Luck would play a big role in that as well. I could be wrong but I just don't see it. Gruden is a possibility as well but I'm concerned with how long's been out of the coaching game and I've always thought his success was more of a mirage.

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You just now bringing this up? Why Is that?

Maybe he seen something in the defense he didn't like? That's what coaches do.

What gives you the right to decide he shouldn't bring up his question?

youre only here to argue and don't contribute anything