Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All Colts Head Coach Discussions (merge) The Indianapolis Colts Are Officially Eliminated From The 2017 Playoffs

BlueShoe

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

A lot of rumors will be floating around. I haven't heard anything concrete but I have a feeling Toub will be the guy just from everything I have been reading. He has ties with Ballard from KC. I say no way to guys like Fisher and Lovie and Jon Gruden has no interest. Harbaugh probably isn't leaving Michigan either. I guess we may have a shot at McDaniels? I do like Jim Bob Cooter as well and the Lions have imploded so who knows?

You would think Cooter would be the logical choice to replace Caldwell.  After yesterday I can't see Caldwell surviving.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing reports today that the Cardinals and Bruce Arians will agree to part ways next week.

I don’t know if he wants to continue coaching and his offense is not what I prefer but if he is available and interested I think the Colts give him consideration.

11 minutes ago, ar7 said:

Seeing reports today that the Cardinals and Bruce Arians will agree to part ways next week.

I don’t know if he wants to continue coaching and his offense is not what I prefer but if he is available and interested I think the Colts give him consideration.

Josh WeinfussESPN Staff Writer 

According to a source, the Pro Football Weekly report that Cardinals coach Bruce Arians and the team will mutually agree to part ways after Sunday's game "is 100 percent not true." The decision will be Arians' to make.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/ari/arizona-cardinals

43 minutes ago, ar7 said:

Screw Arians, I would like to Tom Moore brought back in some capacity.

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

If you could convince Arians to abandon his offensive philosophy and hire a modern NFL OC I wouldn't mind it.

Well....    Arians wouldn't change his philosophy for the Steelers, so they fired him.

He used his philosophy with the Colts despite having a make-shift O-line due to salary cap issues...      and he used that same philosophy with Arizona even though the Cardinals O-line is also sorely lacking.

So I don't see Bruce changing his view for anyone.    And I like him much more as a HC than I do as an OC.   But he is set in his ways.

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well....    Arians wouldn't change his philosophy for the Steelers, so they fired him.

He used his philosophy with the Colts despite having a make-shift O-line due to salary cap issues...      and he used that same philosophy with Arizona even though the Cardinals O-line is also sorely lacking.

So I don't see Bruce changing his view for anyone.    And I like him much more as a HC than I do as an OC.   But he is set in his ways.

No way in hell Bruce changes his approach.  Just pointing out the the extreme it would take for me to be ok with him.

2 hours ago, JColts72 said:

Fans here who against Bruce, are probably same ones who wanted him to stay when covered for Chuck back a few years ago and led the Colts to 9 wins. I take him over Chuck any day. So will Chuck get canned New Years Eve/Day or week later?

Here's my big point about Bruce. I think he is a great motivator and knows how to make adjustments a lot better than Chuck. However, his offense gets QB's killed. It's virtually the same offense we run now and we've seen what thats done to Luck and co. The ONLY way I'd want him back is if there is a big change in the type of offense he runs. Otherwise, count me out.

2 hours ago, Restored said:

Here's my big point about Bruce. I think he is a great motivator and knows how to make adjustments a lot better than Chuck. However, his offense gets QB's killed. It's virtually the same offense we run now and we've seen what thats done to Luck and co. The ONLY way I'd want him back is if there is a big change in the type of offense he runs. Otherwise, count me out.

He was not here when Luck got his shoulder hammered last year or year before.

41 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

I would guess 90% in Colt land want such change.

Of course we do. I was joking.

image.jpeg.71831eb5751e08c5cac80082ec16a2f8.jpeg

If the Pagano era was a sitcom, this is when they "jumped the shark".

I'd imagine some of the reputable posters here probably wouldn't bang on this play- but this doesn't happen (the snap) if the Head Coach is actually doing anything game related.

Some people have had issues going back further than this, but he was never in any real Jeopardy at that point (you don't fire a guy who's going 11-5 perennially). 

Someone tell him it's not actually going to a rodeo on sunday! (that's another joke..)

All that said. The Texans are icky- if Pagano figures out how to win this game it wouldn't break my heart, since we're not shopping for a QB.

2 hours ago, JColts72 said:

He was not here when Luck got his shoulder hammered last year or year before.

Respectfully, I think you are missing my point. Yes, BA was not here after 2012 but the type of offense he runs vs. the one the Colts use now are very similar. Hence, that same type of offense would likely accompany BA if he were to come back to Indy. That's a big no-no for me.

7 hours ago, JColts72 said:

Fans here who against Bruce, are probably same ones who wanted him to stay when covered for Chuck back a few years ago and led the Colts to 9 wins. I take him over Chuck any day. So will Chuck get canned New Years Eve/Day or week later?

The question isn't Arians or Pagano.  Arians did a good job here but is he who we want going forward?

Did some research and came up with some names Toub could bring in if he were to be hired. 

- Bob Babich: Current LBs Coach for the Bills but was a former Defensive coordinator and LBs coach for the Bears in 2009, and Jags from 2013-2015. Ballard worked with him in his time with the Bears

-Harry Heistand: You guys will like this. Current OL coach for Notre Dame. Coaches Bears OL from 2005-2007 with Toub. Has coached OL at the collegiate level for a few teams. In 1996 with Missouri he had 3 lineman that received All-Big 12 team honors.

-Ron Turner: Former Bears OC from 93-96 and from 2005-2009. Brother of Norv Turner and currently a consultant to the Panthers. Former FIU coach as well. Spent time in Indy from 2010 and 2011 coaching QBs and WRs.

-Lovie Smith: Goes without saying. Former HC of the Bears and Bucs.

-Steve Spagnulo: current interim HC of the Giants and their DC. Coached with Tubb in Philly as the DB coach.

-Tommy Brasher: current DL coach of the Chiefs but also worked with Ballard on the Eagles coaching the DL. Has extensive experience coaching the D-line for a good amount of NFL team.

Pat Shurmur who is the Viking OC is another guy he knows well. I also learned that Sean McDermott is a guy who he has a lot of ties too, as a few guys who were with Ballard on the Bears are currently working for McDermott in Buffalo. Just food for though.

On 12/25/2017 at 7:41 AM, BOTT said:

I'm guessing not many on the first interview.  But that first interview gets their foot in the door and their name gets tossed around league circles if they are impressive.

The NFL league office circulates a list of the most qualified head coaching candidates every season. That list is partially based on feedback from teams with which those candidates have interviewed in the past.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/21/nfl-distributes-list-of-recommended-head-coaching-candidates/

12 hours ago, JColts72 said:

It won't take a week to decide.     Chuck will go Monday or Tuesday of next week.   

Shouldnt take longer than that....

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Did some research and came up with some names Toub could bring in if he were to be hired. 

- Bob Babich: Current LBs Coach for the Bills but was a former Defensive coordinator and LBs coach for the Bears in 2009, and Jags from 2013-2015. Ballard worked with him in his time with the Bears

-Harry Heistand: You guys will like this. Current OL coach for Notre Dame. Coaches Bears OL from 2005-2007 with Toub. Has coached OL at the collegiate level for a few teams. In 1996 with Missouri he had 3 lineman that received All-Big 12 team honors.

-Ron Turner: Former Bears OC from 93-96 and from 2005-2009. Brother of Norv Turner and currently a consultant to the Panthers. Former FIU coach as well. Spent time in Indy from 2010 and 2011 coaching QBs and WRs.

-Lovie Smith: Goes without saying. Former HC of the Bears and Bucs.

-Steve Spagnulo: current interim HC of the Giants and their DC. Coached with Tubb in Philly as the DB coach.

-Tommy Brasher: current DL coach of the Chiefs but also worked with Ballard on the Eagles coaching the DL. Has extensive experience coaching the D-line for a good amount of NFL team.

Pat Shurmur who is the Viking OC is another guy he knows well. I also learned that Sean McDermott is a guy who he has a lot of ties too, as a few guys who were with Ballard on the Bears are currently working for McDermott in Buffalo. Just food for though.

nice work

3 hours ago, Superman said:

The NFL league office circulates a list of the most qualified head coaching candidates every season. That list is partially based on feedback from teams with which those candidates have interviewed in the past.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/21/nfl-distributes-list-of-recommended-head-coaching-candidates/

I think the Giants will have first dibs b/c it is more high profile and that brings more opportunities but Luck should bring a lot of draw as well.  

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Wouldn’t shock me to see them bring Toub and a name like Arians to run the offense while a replacement is groomed and maybe Brasher to run the defense or take a run at Spags although his second run with the Giants wasn’t as good as his first.

Childress is another name for OC. He is listed as Assistant HC but they gave the offensive playcalling duties to Nagy. I’d prefer him over Arians because that long downfield passing offense is what we’re trying to get away from.

I hate for anyone to be fired, but it comes with the territory. I think Chuck is a good man, but not a good HC. It's time for the Colts to make a change. If we keep him as coach we are on our way to becoming the Bengals. With Marv Lewis they have had decent years but never done anything in the Playoffs. The standard is higher for the Indianapolis Colts. We need someone who takes us back to where we were in the Polian/Dungy/Manning Era. I know that those 3 are all Hall of Famers and we may never be at that level again but I think keeping Pagano is accepting mediocrity.

I see Mcdaniels going somewhere like Detroit to replace Jim Caldwell.  The tools they have there are similar to some of the tools they have on the Pats as well as the type of offense they are running. Plus the GM is from the Pats.  I can totally see him taking that Job.

I am ready to try anything new as long its not the likes of Fisher, Lewis, Arians and Caldwell. Not really felling the Gruden Rollercoaster either.

Josh McDaniels to me would be worth a try but scary in the same thought! Jim Harbaugh somebody i do believe can bring the culture change that Ballard is looking for but wonder if the players would check out like they did for the 49ers. Between Toub and Nagy for some reason I think I favor Toub over Nagy.

I think Chuck is a great Man as a person but i do believe his tenure here needs to end Sunday! 

22 hours ago, krunk said:

I see Mcdaniels going somewhere like Detroit to replace Jim Caldwell.  The tools they have there are similar to some of the tools they have on the Pats as well as the type of offense they are running. Plus the GM is from the Pats.  I can totally see him taking that Job.

Totally forgot about the GM/Pats connection there. If he lands there, it leaves Toub on the table as the other logical fit here in Indy. Harbaugh isn't even an option for me at this point given that Michigan has made him the supreme ruler of everything up there.

16 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

I want to trust Ballard, but is Toub going to be the answer for the Colts? Not to sound like a debbie downer or anything. I just hate this process. May be exciting to see and hear potential HC candidates walk into Lucas Oil to some but I just feel like it's tough shoes to fill. With the Jags being better and Texans getting their QB, we could be potentially missing the playoffs again next year too. I've got my fingers crossed that we land a good one.

17 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Yeah they're going off of an Allbright tweet from the 19th. I wonder if the part about it being "Irsay's list" isn't just the writer kind of making assumptions based off the tweet though. For all we know it could just be Ballard really pushing for him to be interviewed.

Allbright's pretty legit though, at least more legit than a lot of other lesser known guys, so I believe at least somebody in the Colts FO has interest in Toub.