Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts to move on from Matt Hasselbeck

NBColtsFanatic

2 hours ago, NBColtsFanatic said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RapSheet/status/704016906747940865?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

The Colts told Hasselbeck that he is not in their plans next year.

Josh Freeman most likely to back him up.

This is a shock to me......

He was excellent.....and we hope to be a playoff team......we wont get a better backup for 2016

We don't need a backup to develop for the future....we need a guy who can fill in and win 1 or 2 game s if Andrew is hurt.

Sure hope we don't regret this.  Matt will get signed if he wants to keep playing.

Otherwise..ESPN will be calling

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

This is a shock to me......

He was excellent.....and we hope to be a playoff team......we wont get a better backup for 2016

We don't need a backup to develop for the future....we need a guy who can fill in and win 1 or 2 game s if Andrew is hurt.

Sure hope we don't regret this.  Matt will get signed if he wants to keep playing.

Otherwise..ESPN will be calling

I'm not shocked but I do agree with you

1 hour ago, GoColts00 said:

Nate Sudfeld, QB, Indiana hopefully to replace MH.

It appears they're going to go with Freeman which I'm glad because I liked what I saw. 

Thank you Matt and good luck with the rest of your life.

1 hour ago, GoColts00 said:

Nate Sudfeld, QB, Indiana hopefully to replace MH.

My guess is either freeman or lindley will be the back up.

I'd honestly rather the colts have a veteran back up like Matt. Sudfeld might end up being an adequate back up, but I'd rather have someone that's been there and done that.

Well I guess that opens up a little more cap space than we first anticipated. I like Hasselbeck, but his arm strength limited what we could do with our offense as referenced by Hilton. I liked what I saw out of Freeman, and he has a much better arm than Hasselbeck at this stage in their careers.

23 minutes ago, BOTT said:

After the beating he took last season I'm not sure why he would want to come back.  Get a cushy media gig and call it a day.

A lot of these guys have a hard time letting go I get it they spend most of their lives preparing for a short lived career and when it ends.. it ends. Rarely does anyone leave on their own terms.  That being said I think Hasselbeck will retire if not by his own choice someone will make it for him. That goes for any player.

Well, it looks like the three remaining from the 1998 draft class are all retiring this year.

Matt, Peyton, and Charles Woodson.    It was a good long career for them, most guys don't last that long.

Thanks for the games this year, Matt.

Freeman appears to have his head screwed on the right way now.  He'll learn a lot about being improving on the little things and being a professional behind Luck.  I hope he takes full advantage of his opportunity because he's a talented player.

3 hours ago, CF4L said:

A lot of these guys have a hard time letting go I get it they spend most of their lives preparing for a short lived career and when it ends.. it ends. Rarely does anyone leave on their own terms.  That being said I think Hasselbeck will retire if not by his own choice someone will make it for him. That goes for any player.

Sure, but it's not like he's been playing much the last few years.  Not like he would be going from starter to retirement.

10 hours ago, ColtJax said:

1.5 million is more than enough for a QUALITY back up, 4 million is too much. That might not sound like a lot of savings since the cap is so big, bit 2.5 million can get a decent player..

I am not so sure if money is the key to having a good backup QB. Matt won us some games and was worth every penny he earned. When you cheap out you end up just like the Colts did with a record of 2-14. Having a good backup QB is worth more than one decent player. Just my opinion.