Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts to move on from Matt Hasselbeck

NBColtsFanatic

25 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I am not so sure if money is the key to having a good backup QB. Matt won us some games and was worth every penny he earned. When you cheap out you end up just like the Colts did with a record of 2-14. Having a good backup QB is worth more than one decent player. Just my opinion.

I agree. However, the beating Matt took last year took a huge toll on his body. I think it's in Matt's best interest we move on as well as out teams. If Matt does have to play again, gets hit and ends up on IR, what was the point? It's a risk/reward game at this point more than anything.  Matt's reward is very high, he played better than pretty much every other backup QB that were forced into service last season. He played through pain, illness and a crappy OL. And he has my respect big time for that. However, the risk is that he's more likely to get injured again. 41 yr old QBS just don't last long with the likes of 24 year old muscle machines hitting then constantly.

That said, this probably should have been left up to Matt to decide however, as is often the case, the players don't always decided when they are done in the league, the nature of the business and the sport combined with father time does. And father time is undefeated 

I think it's the right move and like me, I know many of us are grateful for what Hass brought to the team but he looked done in that Houston game. Up 10-0 in the 1st Half and couldn't even muster up another point and that game was for the Division. Everytime he would get hit in those last few games I would wince thinking he could be injured badly too. He should retire. To me Freeman is ok for a backup. I really don't think it will matter this upcoming season anyway because I think Andrew plays all 16 games.

14 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

My guess is either freeman or lindley will be the back up.

I'd honestly rather the colts have a veteran back up like Matt. Sudfeld might end up being an adequate back up, but I'd rather have someone that's been there and done that.

Sudfeld is excellent when healthy.  He had two stints in the last 3 that he was injured.  IU had one of the bes OLs in the nation.  Love him but I worry about him going down and crumpling like Matt.  (OK I am partial since I went to IU :))

21 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I agree. However, the beating Matt took last year took a huge toll on his body. I think it's in Matt's best interest we move on as well as out teams. If Matt does have to play again, gets hit and ends up on IR, what was the point? It's a risk/reward game at this point more than anything.  Matt's reward is very high, he played better than pretty much every other backup QB that were forced into service last season. He played through pain, illness and a crappy OL. And he has my respect big time for that. However, the risk is that he's more likely to get injured again. 41 yr old QBS just don't last long with the likes of 24 year old muscle machines hitting then constantly.

That said, this probably should have been left up to Matt to decide however, as is often the case, the players don't always decided when they are done in the league, the nature of the business and the sport combined with father time does. And father time is undefeated 

I also think it was time for Matt to move on. I think Freeman will work out just fine but I wouldn't mind maybe picking up a young QB in the last round or two. Most teams do carry three QBs and having one in reserve could pay off just in case. We used 5 last season so you never know? :dunno:

14 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

My guess is either freeman or lindley will be the back up.

I'd honestly rather the colts have a veteran back up like Matt. Sudfeld might end up being an adequate back up, but I'd rather have someone that's been there and done that.

Lindley is no longer on the Colts roster. Whitehurst is on the roster the last time I looked.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I also think it was time for Matt to move on. I think Freeman will work out just fine but I wouldn't mind maybe picking up a young QB in the last round or two. Most teams do carry three QBs and having one in reserve could pay off just in case. We used 5 last season so you never know? :dunno:

yep, exactly.  another couple of games, we probably would have been down to Tim Tebow 

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

So just what would be wrong with bringing in a young QB with a 6th or 7th round pick?  Very seldom does a player taken in those rounds make an impact.

Going into the season with a rookie, late round QB as your primary backup? How many times has that worked for someone? I wouldn't mind drafting someone late to develop but if you're going to do that you better make sure you have a capable backup who can step in. Andrew's taken a beating and there's no guarantee he can start all 16 games next season.

47 minutes ago, Pagano's Realtor said:

Going into the season with a rookie, late round QB as your primary backup? How many times has that worked for someone? I wouldn't mind drafting someone late to develop but if you're going to do that you better make sure you have a capable backup who can step in. Andrew's taken a beating and there's no guarantee he can start all 16 games next season.

Where did I say a young QB would be the primary backup?

7 hours ago, General_Hux said:

Reading the media narratives on this issue has me wondering...are the Colts gonna get destroyed by the media every time they cut ties with an aging and/or injured player since we released Peyton?  It's getting a little old.

Please what narratives are you seeing because most people I know agree with this move they just will miss Matt. I didn't see this issue with Reggie Wayne(except by fans) and Dwight Freeney(again also by fans) 

The only reason its a debate with Manning because he was still good after they cut him. Can't say the same for the others well Freeney has had a bit of resurgence. The others faded away(Reggie, Marvin etc)

On 2/28/2016 at 2:01 PM, NBColtsFanatic said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RapSheet/status/704016906747940865?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

The Colts told Hasselbeck that he is not in their plans next year.

Josh Freeman most likely to back him up.

Thank ___!
  Freeman... ? I guess we could do worse.
  Alex Tanney back here to compete with Freeman would suit me.