Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll: Which QB will they select? Which QB should they select?

Superman

Which QB will they select? Which QB should they select?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you WANT the Colts to draft?

• Hendon Hooker, Tennessee
    • Will Levis, Kentucky
    • Anthony Richardson, Florida
    • CJ Stroud, Ohio State
    • Bryce Young, Alabama
    • None of these
  2. 2. Which QB WILL the Colts draft?

• Hendon Hooker, Tennessee
    • Will Levis, Kentucky
    • Anthony Richardson, Florida
    • CJ Stroud, Ohio State
    • Bryce Young, Alabama
    • None of these

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/27/2023 at 07:00 PM

I was watching the NFL Network as thry were revieing great team drafts.  They were rtalking about the Buc's draft when they picked Sapp and Brooks.  McKay, the GM, said they were an org that had previously picked player based on their 40's , how high they could jump etc. He said they decided to stop that and pick football players. Mr. Ballard are u listening?????

• Like 1

I think they probably have 1 mayyyybe 2 QB's rated as first round talents.

So the questions are, do those guys fall to us? If not given Ballards very conservative nature will he reach like crazy. Does will Anderson drop to us?

I think it would be extremely difficult for any GM in the league to take a QB not rated a 1st round talent over the best defensive player in the draft.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we draft Anderson, the other guy Tyree Wilson or trade back.

I think its kind of funny how so many people have basically made up their mind that we are taking a QB no matter who falls to us. Those people are going to be devastated if it doesn't happen lol.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I think they probably have 1 mayyyybe 2 QB's rated as first round talents.

So the questions are, do those guys fall to us? If not given Ballards very conservative nature will he reach like crazy. Does will Anderson drop to us?

I think it would be extremely difficult for any GM in the league to take a QB not rated a 1st round talent over the best defensive player in the draft.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we draft Anderson, the other guy Tyree Wilson or trade back.

I think its kind of funny how so many people have basically made up their mind that we are taking a QB no matter who falls to us. Those people are going to be devastated if it doesn't happen lol.

Quarter back should be top of the list but if it isnt and that player ends up being a bust bye bye ballard

13 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Quarter back should be top of the list but if it isnt and that player ends up being a bust bye bye ballard

Maybe im mistaken but almost sure teams don't account for positional need when they make their draft board. They may when actually making the pick. But when you look at the Colts board under "1st round" its probably all positions with 1 or 2 Qbs mixed in somewhere.

I want Stroud, but I think we'll draft Richardson.

Stroud is my QB1. He's accurate, strong arm, good footwork in the pocket, good balance, decent size with the ability to get stronger, and I think he can still get better as a passer. He's not the most exciting guy, but he can make all the throws, and despite his limited athleticism I think he's good enough to be a top ten QB in the NFL. The S2 stuff doesn't move the needle for me. But it's a fact that he's not a dual threat guy, and that he had a very favorable situation at Ohio State, more favorable than any other QB in this year's draft, IMO. Still, I think he's more than capable of being a better pocket passer in Year 1 than most QB prospects ever become. So he's my first choice.

Richardson seems to be the guy the Colts would want. I'm extrapolating a lot from the history of the coaching staff, the trends in the league, the Colts' openly acknowledging that they'd consider Lamar Jackson (although that could be diplomacy more than anything else), Ballard's historical attraction to athletic prospects, and a few other bread crumbs. Richardson is super gifted, as physically impressive as any QB prospect ever (maybe the most impressive). He has a great arm, great size, he's super strong, he survives contact, both in the pocket and on the move. And as good as he can be as a scrambler/runner, he doesn't panic and run every time he's pressured; yet he still has an incredible pressure:sack ratio. Of course, he's extremely raw, and his current limitations are so drastic that, worst case scenario, he might not even be able to function in an NFL offense. But our coaching staff has experience with slowly working a gifted QB into the game, and I think they'd be very confident that they could do the same with Richardson.

One little gem of info: the Eagles QB coach last season was Brian Johnson, who was rumored to be in consideration for the Colts OC position when Steichen got hired (Steichen all but admitted he wanted Johnson, but the Eagles made Johnson OC). Johnson was at University of Florida when they recruited Richardson. So just another tangential connection between Richardson and the Colts.

Levis: I don't know about him. Physically gifted, has some technical issues that seriously bug me, and I feel oddly suspicious of him. This is not about unpeeled bananas, mayo coffee, or shirtless pics. I don't even mind the "I have a cannon" comment. But something about the way he talks and interacts, he seems really rehearsed, and even when he's trying to be down to earth and sincere, it comes off as a performance. I keep coming back to Bo Callahan (curse you, Kevin Costner!) There are rumors that he's arrogant, maybe entitled; I don't think my opinion is compromised by Internet whispers, I generally don't put stock in stuff like that, but when I watch/listen to him, something seems questionable. At this point, I don't think he would be the Colts choice at #4.

Young: Simple for me, he's too small, and doesn't have other physical traits to make up for it. His arm is mid, and he has a reputation for being able to make plays with his legs, but he's not as fast or as quick as people seem to think he is. I think he can have some success, but I think the odds of him excelling and lasting long in the NFL are pretty low.

Hooker: Lots of physical talent, but I don't think he's been tested in college in any way that proves he can perform in the NFL. The Tennessee scheme is a cheat code. You need a strong arm and some accuracy to run it, so credit there, but it's really unconventional. Also, he barely looked like even a college QB until he connected with Josh Heupel, and by then, he was 23 years old, playing against guys who were 3-4 years younger than him. I think he has a lower ceiling than everyone else.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

Stroud is my QB1. He's accurate, strong arm, good footwork in the pocket, good balance, decent size with the ability to get stronger, and I think he can still get better as a passer. He's not the most exciting guy, but he can make all the throws, and despite his limited athleticism I think he's good enough to be a top ten QB in the NFL. The S2 stuff doesn't move the needle for me. But it's a fact that he's not a dual threat guy, and that he had a very favorable situation at Ohio State, more favorable than any other QB in this year's draft, IMO. Still, I think he's more than capable of being a better pocket passer in Year 1 than most QB prospects ever become. So he's my first choice.

Richardson seems to be the guy the Colts would want. I'm extrapolating a lot from the history of the coaching staff, the trends in the league, the Colts' openly acknowledging that they'd consider Lamar Jackson (although that could be diplomacy more than anything else), Ballard's historical attraction to athletic prospects, and a few other bread crumbs. Richardson is super gifted, as physically impressive as any QB prospect ever (maybe the most impressive). He has a great arm, great size, he's super strong, he survives contact, both in the pocket and on the move. And as good as he can be as a scrambler/runner, he doesn't panic and run every time he's pressured; yet he still has an incredible pressure:sack ratio. Of course, he's extremely raw, and his current limitations are so drastic that, worst case scenario, he might not even be able to function in an NFL offense. But our coaching staff has experience with slowly working a gifted QB into the game, and I think they'd be very confident that they could do the same with Richardson.

One little gem of info: the Eagles QB coach last season was Brian Johnson, who was rumored to be in consideration for the Colts OC position when Steichen got hired (Steichen all but admitted he wanted Johnson, but the Eagles made Johnson OC). Johnson was at University of Florida when they recruited Richardson. So just another tangential connection between Richardson and the Colts.

Levis: I don't know about him. Physically gifted, has some technical issues that seriously bug me, and I feel oddly suspicious of him. This is not about unpeeled bananas, mayo coffee, or shirtless pics. I don't even mind the "I have a cannon" comment. But something about the way he talks and interacts, he seems really rehearsed, and even when he's trying to be down to earth and sincere, it comes off as a performance. I keep coming back to Bo Callahan (curse you, Kevin Costner!) There are rumors that he's arrogant, maybe entitled; I don't think my opinion is compromised by Internet whispers, I generally don't put stock in stuff like that, but when I watch/listen to him, something seems questionable. At this point, I don't think he would be the Colts choice at #4.

Young: Simple for me, he's too small, and doesn't have other physical traits to make up for it. His arm is mid, and he has a reputation for being able to make plays with his legs, but he's not as fast or as quick as people seem to think he is. I think he can have some success, but I think the odds of him excelling and lasting long in the NFL are pretty low.

Hooker: Lots of physical talent, but I don't think he's been tested in college in any way that proves he can perform in the NFL. The Tennessee scheme is a cheat code. You need a strong arm and some accuracy to run it, so credit there, but it's really unconventional. Also, he barely looked like even a college QB until he connected with Josh Heupel, and by then, he was 23 years old, playing against guys who were 3-4 years younger than him. I think he has a lower ceiling than everyone else.

I generally agree though I have Levis over AR as the one the Colts will draft.

To the bolded. There was an interview with him where he was asked about the success of one of his WRs (was it Wan'Dale?) and he was all smiles and seemed genuinely very pleased and happy for his teammate. I know that's only one example but his reaction didn't strike me as one comming from an arrogant person. 

22 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I generally agree though I have Levis over AR as the one the Colts will draft.

To the bolded. There was an interview with him where he was asked about the success of one of his WRs (was it Wan'Dale?) and he was all smiles and seemed genuinely very pleased and happy for his teammate. I know that's only one example but his reaction didn't strike me as one comming from an arrogant person. 

Look, I'm not usually too worried about this stuff, but something about him just makes me think he's fake. That's probably unfair, I don't know the dude, and you can't really know someone from a handful of viral moments on the Internet. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

Look, I'm not usually too worried about this stuff, but something about him just makes me think he's fake. That's probably unfair, I don't know the dude, and you can't really know someone from a handful of viral moments on the Internet. 

I will keep this short but I agree 100% with Levis, I get a bad vibe from him and have explained why in other posts.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'd be more than happy with Stroud too. I still would prefer AR, but Stroud would be great too. I just hope we can unlock some of his off-structure playmaking... 

I think Johnson was the main coach who was recruiting Richardson, too. At the very least IMO we will have some additional information about Richardson, good or bad, thanks to that connection Steichen has. 

I think I have a very similar feeling. And it's possible it's completely and utterly irrational. And I can't quite pinpoint what it is, but it's definitely there. Like... a feeling that I cannot trust this guy, like there's something not quite right... That in addition to my worries about him on the field - inability to escape pressure, still looking raw with some of his decisionmaking even after being 23, about to turn 24. I really don't think Richardson is far off from him in the decision-making/processing of the game part and he's 3 years younger than him and freakier than Levis in every other aspect. 

Yep, those are my worries with him too. Size. arm... no discernible physical trait to make up for those ...shortcomings(pun intended). Good luck to Frank, though... wonder what kind of offense he's going to build around him to try to mask his limitaions and help him not get obliterated by 150 pound hevier defenders. 

I don't think we will draft him. I wonder what kind of offense the team that drafts him will put around him. I have a sneaky suspicion that despite all the noise around him potentially going R1, he won't be drafted until R3. :dunno:

• Like 1

Just adding another thing to this pot to stir... 

The alumni of the Manning Passing Academy seem to be very successful in the NFL. Just take a look at the current QBs playing who attended: Mahomes... Jones... Hurts... Burrow... Allen... Prescott... Lawrence... Purdy... That's all of this past year's playoff QBs.

Levis attended, Young attended, Richardson attended... 

Stroud? He ghosted his invitation...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

The alumni of the Manning Passing Academy seem to be very successful in the NFL. Just take a look at the current QBs playing who attended: Mahomes... Jones... Hurts... Burrow... Allen... Prescott... Lawrence... Purdy... That's all of this past year's playoff QBs.

That supposedly wasn't true. Seems like he was invited in the last minute and he'd already made committements to workout with his receivers so he refused the invite. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, stitches said:

That supposedly wasn't true. Seems like he was invited in the last minute and he'd already made committements to workout with his receivers so he refused the invite. 

I mean it's still true he wasn't able to make it though... 

That field they work on must have some blessed water.

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I see where Peyton was very complimentary on Levis and even did a half hour show on him.  I have read zero comments that he has made on Richardson or Stroud.  I would think he has but I haven’t seen them.

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Stroud was asked to be a counselor.  He didn't ghost them.   They have made that clear.    I don't know if he went there as a high school player or not

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Yeah, I don’t know about Levis either. I think he has a bit of a reckless gunslinger in him, maybe it can be tamed, but I get why some people fear that he will be Wentz mark II for us… I want Texans to take him, lol…

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I see where Peyton was very complimentary on Levis and even did a half hour show on him.  I have read zero comments that he has made on Richardson or Stroud.  I would think he has but I haven’t seen them.

The Manning ESPN show is called "On the Clock." I found it to be less than insightful, basically a waste of time. The viral comments about Levis being the real deal are basically all that was relevant in the entire episode, IMO. It's highly scripted, really sanitized, and at best you get to see Peyton and Eli talk about a QB they like, while avoiding saying anything negative about him.

And even in that super friendly, totally safe environment, Levis seemed like he was performing the entire time. It's weird, but there's something there... 

Also, this might have absolutely nothing to do with whether he can be a good pro QB. I'm not saying it does. It's just a side point for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn't vote Young or Stroud because I seriously doubt they will be a option. 

I voted I hope they draft AR15 despite he probably won't start soon and may be a complete Bust. 

But he will be interesting and exciting with potentially huge upside.

I voted colts will draft Levis, which I am not against like so many orhers. 

I actually think Hooker has a better chance of being a Colt over AR15, Stroud, or Young. 

Especially since I heard Vegas thinks Levis may go #2? :thinking:

1 hour ago, Superman said:

The Manning ESPN show is called "On the Clock." I found it to be less than insightful, basically a waste of time. The viral comments about Levis being the real deal are basically all that was relevant in the entire episode, IMO. It's highly scripted, really sanitized, and at best you get to see Peyton and Eli talk about a QB they like, while avoiding saying anything negative about him.

And even in that super friendly, totally safe environment, Levis seemed like he was performing the entire time. It's weird, but there's something there... 

Also, this might have absolutely nothing to do with whether he can be a good pro QB. I'm not saying it does. It's just a side point for me.

Personally, I find Stroud, Levis, and Richardson as having some "attitude stuff" about them. I hesitate to use the word problem, but Stroud's interviews had a slight air of arrogance at times, and then Richardson with the "I don't catch the ball" statement... And then Levis who I agree does have a weird lack of being genuine while on camera... 

In terms of personality Young is probably about as real as it gets. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Personally, I find Stroud, Levis, and Richardson as having some "attitude stuff" about them. I hesitate to use the word problem, but Stroud's interviews had a slight air of arrogance at times, and then Richardson with the "I don't catch the ball" statement... And then Levis who I agree does have a weird lack of being genuine while on camera... 

In terms of personality Young is probably about as real as it gets. 

I agree with this…especially with the hesitation of using the word “problem”

Actually, all three of those examples are what I’d use too. Stroud has come off a bit arrogant to me, not abrasively so, just get that hint in his interviews. Much like I get the same “rehearsed” vibes from Levis like Supe said. His interviews (specifically a clip I saw from the Manning thing) plus the whole playing up his quirks. As for AR, that specific quote about not toning down his passes was a bit of an eyebrow raiser, like is this how he could potentially handle criticism/coaching?

But again, like you I’d hesitate to say any of them will be a problem. I could see why all 3 could rub some the wrong way though.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 10:29 AM, MikeCurtis said:

I think ALL of the QBs will yield a weak win total next year

My gut says that we will be looking at it again next year

So you think the Colts won't select a quarterback? Or you think they'll select one and then give up on him after 1 year?

On 4/23/2023 at 4:41 PM, richard pallo said:

Not for me.  Screams bust but an athletic one.

On 4/23/2023 at 4:49 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He would be better than drafting this guy Love Myself Kiss GIF by WWE- My name is Will, draft me I have big muscles lmao 

Worst case scenario, add 5 pounds and play left tackle.  lol.

1 hour ago, masterlock said:

So you think the Colts won't select a quarterback? Or you think they'll select one and then give up on him after 1 year?

Not at all

I actually hope they get one early and one late….(QB)

but the odds are that our new QB WONT be a pro bowl player

and the odds are that our QB flames out is higher than needed

CJ, has had 2 top 15 wideouts throwing to and a all pro tackle

Will, has been hurt last year record shows it

Anthony, hasn't had enough game experience 

Pick is in

IDK flip a coin, one hour it's CJ the next is Will,the next is Richardson 

I voted none and none. Each has their own flaws to be a top 4 pick. Ballard has shown he doesn't care who we think the Colts should pick and that won't change. Heard the Colts have 17 players on their board considered 1st round talent. Probably wrong but don't believe any of those are QB's.

Stroud by a wide margin for me.

I'm a UK fan so I watched every game Levis played. I'm pulling for him.  However, he does not have the pocket awareness, foot work or accuracy that Stroud has. The O-line was so bad last yr, he started seeing ghosts at times and others walking right into rushers blindly.

Richardson is intriguing but super raw. He's the exact example of boom or bust.

With that said, I will root for whomever the Colts select!

• Like 4

I hope it’s Richardson because he’ll develop into a STAR

Second choice Stroud but he won’t have 5-star WRs being covered by 3-star CBs like he did at OSU

Levis - No, too cocky and he’s not all that - played in a “pro style offense” under the same staff and wasn’t great 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mirobi48 said:

CJ, has had 2 top 15 wideouts throwing to and a all pro tackle

Will, has been hurt last year record shows it

Anthony, hasn't had enough game experience 

Pick is in

IDK flip a coin, one hour it's CJ the next is Will,the next is Richardson 

Is Curtis painter available 

16 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

What happens if they draft Jalen Carter. You know how much Ballard loves the interior lineman. Supposedly he is a generational DT.

I wouldn’t complain depending on what we do at 35