Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll: Which QB will they select? Which QB should they select?

Superman

Which QB will they select? Which QB should they select?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you WANT the Colts to draft?

• Hendon Hooker, Tennessee
    • Will Levis, Kentucky
    • Anthony Richardson, Florida
    • CJ Stroud, Ohio State
    • Bryce Young, Alabama
    • None of these
  2. 2. Which QB WILL the Colts draft?

• Hendon Hooker, Tennessee
    • Will Levis, Kentucky
    • Anthony Richardson, Florida
    • CJ Stroud, Ohio State
    • Bryce Young, Alabama
    • None of these

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/27/2023 at 07:00 PM

Peter King said today that several GMs have told him that they expect CJ Stroud to be a bust in the NFL...and several also said that they've never seen a QB with a low cognitive test do well in the NFL.

Just shows how differently everyone (us, GMs etc) view these players.

Personally I'd take Levis...but I'd also take either Will Anderson or Tyree Wilson (possibly even Jalen Carter) before I'd take Richardson. We don't need a project of that size...and if we ARE going to kick the can so to speak and hope our QB is ready in the future...then let's take the best defensive player available and draft a QB next year... supposed to be a loaded class... Then add to an already good D and let Minshew play for a year. 

Again, I know that wouldn't be popular...and I'd personally take Levis...but just food for thought.

• Like 2

Levis, Richardson, Stroud in that order. I'm fairly confident Ballard feels close to the same way, but he could surprise and take Stroud if he falls. I just know Irsay likes Levis, and Ballard likes Richardson from what I heard. The person that likes Stroud is Ed Dodds, and he's the 3rd most important person in that group. 

Not too high on any of these top 5 qbs! But if I had to choose after watching Peyton, Archie, and Eli’s espn shows on these qbs, I would probably go with Levis. Peyton loves him some Levis and we should all trust PMs judgement when it comes to the QB position! It’s just a matter of if Steichen can mold him into more of a Justin Herbert type rather than a Carson Wentz type!

AR has all the physical tools and of course his speed is great. Comparable measurables to sCam Newton, but unfortunately has those same inconsistencies sCam had in his accuracy. Not too sure if he has it between the ears too just by listening to him conversate in interviews.

Bryce Young’s size is too scary for me even though he is probably the most polished prospect! I just dont see him staying healthy in a long term nfl career! I always go back to the stat where I think it was Doug Flutie who has had the best career from a qb under 6 ft tall record wise(which wasnt a good record)! BY may be better than Flutie but I just dont see him sticking around for long!

CJ Stroud is a product of a successful college offensive system that pads stats against weaker opponents!(like against IU) Dont think that type of system translates well for being an NFL qb! I dont think of Stroud as a longterm nfl starter but probly more of

a journeyman qb that’ll be better suited as a clipboard holder!

all in all, we should trust in Frank Reich to make the wrong decision at #1 with his past track record in Indy! Also, let the Texicans be the Texicans and draft a long snapper at #2, letting the next great HOFer QB fall to number 4 whomever that may be!

On 4/23/2023 at 7:29 AM, MikeCurtis said:

I think ALL of the QBs will yield a weak win total next year

My gut says that we will be looking at it again next year

Mike….    I confess I didn’t see this coming from you.     I’d guess that of all the possible scenario’s that could play out your scenario that the Colts will draft a QB high in the first this year and then decide he’s a bust in one year and then decide to draft a QB high in the first round next year seems like the least likely outcome to me.  

Chris Ballard, who has preached patience with every draft pick the Colts have ever taken, is suddenly going to abandon that approach to try and pick first round QBs in back to back drafts?    I just don’t see it.  I’m surprised to see that you think it’s the likely scenario to play out for the Colts.  

Respectfully,  I think it’s the longest of long shots.  

• Like 1

Gimmee CJ. Best pick for a veteran team. Not too many flaws in his game. Kills me when people try to slip in the he cant handle pressure deal as if its some kind of major proven issue hes dealing with. And then that same group of people want Will Levis the sack and pick king! People are not consistent about their standards i see. CJ isnt slow either. The Ohio State offense just doesnt emphasize the QB run.

Getting Stroud is the perfect fit for "Throw to Score" "Run to Win". And you heard me before saying id choose AR over Levis bc despite whatever Levis has going over AR in terms of experience, nfl system exposure, academics, etc. He still did nothing in terms of production to show he was head and shoulders above AR. I think AR takes care of the football better, AR has low sack numbers, AR is physical but not wreckless, he has more elite traits, better awareness than Levis, more dual threat than Levis. AR is a much better athlete and you can see the advantages of that on film in critical moments. And lastly he can take over a whole game on his own using his feet when needed. Just a lot to like despite needing mechanical and touch work on his short and intermediate throws.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would NOT be shocked if Ballard drafts Jalen Carter, and trades back up into the end of round one to take Hendon Hooker......personally I am not over the moon on any of these guys so I just hope whoever we draft at QB is the right guy at QB.......I have concerns about them all......

• Like 1

Lol first 5 post. 5 different Players haha.. two more sleeps and we don't have to choose anymore.

I really don't even care, anyone. It's been almost a decade since we've had a repeat starting QB.. I'm tired of other people's trash lol so not caring about minshew.. just draft anyone!! 

I’ve been a Stroud guy all year, but I haven’t put much into it.  TBH, I’m liking Richardson now.  Just intrigued by the athleticism and the fact that he seems like the most genuine person.  Again, no too much to the analysis, but he just seems like a cool cat…

Which of the current four project top QB's:  are a real student of the game; have the necessary physical tools, and mental toughness; innate intelligence and coachability?  I believe Young and Levis do...and it's not close.  Young is out of reach.  So, IMO the Colts will take Will Levis with their first pick.  

If per chance I am incorrect, I hope the Colts, select either Anderson or Carter first, then work some magic to move back up into the mid-first round or so to pick Richardson who I believe may fall, or whichever QB they like.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Gimmee CJ. Best pick for a veteran team. Not too many flaws in his game. Kills me when people try to slip in the he cant handle pressure deal as if its some kind of major proven issue hes dealing with. And then that same group of people want Will Levis the sack and pick king! People are not consistent about their standards i see. CJ isnt slow either. The Ohio State offense just doesnt emphasize the QB run.

Getting Stroud is the perfect fit for "Throw to Score" "Run to Win". And you heard me before saying id choose AR over Levis bc despite whatever Levis has going over AR in terms of experience, nfl system exposure, academics, etc. He still did nothing in terms of production to show he was head and shoulders above AR. I think AR takes care of the football better, AR has low sack numbers, AR is physical but not wreckless, he has more elite traits, better awareness than Levis, more dual threat than Levis. AR is a much better athlete and you can see the advantages of that on film in critical moments. And lastly he can take over a whole game on his own using his feet when needed. Just a lot to like despite needing mechanical and touch work on his short and intermediate throws.

Rick Venturi is not high on Stroud. He says that when pressured he has the tendency to make mistakes more often than not! He wasnt pressured alot though behind a really good OL! If you didnt hear his draft analysis on the jmv radio show yesterday, you need to listen to the podcast of it! Broke down all the top 5 qbs and other draft picks! Very good interview!:thmup:

12 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Hendon Hooker.

Hooker and then Richardson.  With the rest of the current Colts Lineup, Colts aren't going anywhere the next 2 or 3 years.  take one of these two and let then grow with the rest of the team.  :gym:

30 minutes ago, Coltsbluefan said:

I believe Young will have the best career of the top 4 QB’s but I’m not sold on any of them tbh.I would take Jalen Carter and try to draft a QB with our 2nd round pick or maybe just ride with Minshew this season.

I do not.  I think he is going to be destroyed by NFL DL.  

24 minutes ago, IndyEric07 said:

Rick Venturi is not high on Stroud. He says that when pressured he has the tendency to make mistakes more often than not! He wasnt pressured alot though behind a really good OL! If you didnt hear his draft analysis on the jmv radio show yesterday, you need to listen to the podcast of it! Broke down all the top 5 qbs and other draft picks! Very good interview!:thmup:

Im talking about who i like! Dont care about Venturi. We all have our view. With Stroud i think just as hard as i see the work he puts into his mechanics and everything else in his game, if he does have a problem with pressure he will put the work in to limit that in his pro career. Hes been too consistent in what he does for me to believe otherwise. 

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Mike….    I confess I didn’t see this coming from you.     I’d guess that of all the possible scenario’s that could play out your scenario that the Colts will draft a QB high in the first this year and then decide he’s a bust in one year and then decide to draft a QB high in the first round next year seems like the least likely outcome to me.  

Chris Ballard, who has preached patience with every draft pick the Colts have ever taken, is suddenly going to abandon that approach to try and pick first round QBs in back to back drafts?    I just don’t see it.  I’m surprised to see that you think it’s the likely scenario to play out for the Colts.  

Respectfully,  I think it’s the longest of long shots.  

It’s not my hope…. By any means

and …. I THINK you MIGHT be reading way more into my comments.   

I HOPE that we get the franchise QB THIS year

I been a fan for over 50 years…… saw high and lows

I’m just ready to draft and make due with our choice…. Whomever it is

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, mirobi48 said:

CJ, has had 2 top 15 wideouts throwing to and a all pro tackle

Will, has been hurt last year record shows it

Anthony, hasn't had enough game experience 

Pick is in

IDK flip a coin, one hour it's CJ the next is Will,the next is Richardson 

Merged with the poll thread.

11 hours ago, IndyEric07 said:

all in all, we should trust in Frank Reich to make the wrong decision at #1 with his past track record in Indy! Also, let the Texicans be the Texicans and draft a long snapper at #2, letting the next great HOFer QB fall to number 4 whomever that may be!

What?

I'd take CJ over AR but would be happy with either.  And if it's Levis, I'm good.  I think Young is the best QB but I also don't think he can last.  Eventually a few 300lb guys are going to fall on him one too many times.

2018 QBs drafted in the first round:

1.  Baker

3.  Darnold (remember how many people here wanted him?)

7.  Josh Allen - the AR of that class?

10.  Josh Rosen - ???

32.  Lamar - MVP, but he's kind of proving that his style of play may not be viable in the NFL.

Can't say Crap Shoot more than that does.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 11:02 AM, Superman said:

I want Stroud, but I think we'll draft Richardson.

Stroud is my QB1. He's accurate, strong arm, good footwork in the pocket, good balance, decent size with the ability to get stronger, and I think he can still get better as a passer. He's not the most exciting guy, but he can make all the throws, and despite his limited athleticism I think he's good enough to be a top ten QB in the NFL. The S2 stuff doesn't move the needle for me. But it's a fact that he's not a dual threat guy, and that he had a very favorable situation at Ohio State, more favorable than any other QB in this year's draft, IMO. Still, I think he's more than capable of being a better pocket passer in Year 1 than most QB prospects ever become. So he's my first choice.

Richardson seems to be the guy the Colts would want. I'm extrapolating a lot from the history of the coaching staff, the trends in the league, the Colts' openly acknowledging that they'd consider Lamar Jackson (although that could be diplomacy more than anything else), Ballard's historical attraction to athletic prospects, and a few other bread crumbs. Richardson is super gifted, as physically impressive as any QB prospect ever (maybe the most impressive). He has a great arm, great size, he's super strong, he survives contact, both in the pocket and on the move. And as good as he can be as a scrambler/runner, he doesn't panic and run every time he's pressured; yet he still has an incredible pressure:sack ratio. Of course, he's extremely raw, and his current limitations are so drastic that, worst case scenario, he might not even be able to function in an NFL offense. But our coaching staff has experience with slowly working a gifted QB into the game, and I think they'd be very confident that they could do the same with Richardson.

One little gem of info: the Eagles QB coach last season was Brian Johnson, who was rumored to be in consideration for the Colts OC position when Steichen got hired (Steichen all but admitted he wanted Johnson, but the Eagles made Johnson OC). Johnson was at University of Florida when they recruited Richardson. So just another tangential connection between Richardson and the Colts.

Levis: I don't know about him. Physically gifted, has some technical issues that seriously bug me, and I feel oddly suspicious of him. This is not about unpeeled bananas, mayo coffee, or shirtless pics. I don't even mind the "I have a cannon" comment. But something about the way he talks and interacts, he seems really rehearsed, and even when he's trying to be down to earth and sincere, it comes off as a performance. I keep coming back to Bo Callahan (curse you, Kevin Costner!) There are rumors that he's arrogant, maybe entitled; I don't think my opinion is compromised by Internet whispers, I generally don't put stock in stuff like that, but when I watch/listen to him, something seems questionable. At this point, I don't think he would be the Colts choice at #4.

Young: Simple for me, he's too small, and doesn't have other physical traits to make up for it. His arm is mid, and he has a reputation for being able to make plays with his legs, but he's not as fast or as quick as people seem to think he is. I think he can have some success, but I think the odds of him excelling and lasting long in the NFL are pretty low.

Hooker: Lots of physical talent, but I don't think he's been tested in college in any way that proves he can perform in the NFL. The Tennessee scheme is a cheat code. You need a strong arm and some accuracy to run it, so credit there, but it's really unconventional. Also, he barely looked like even a college QB until he connected with Josh Heupel, and by then, he was 23 years old, playing against guys who were 3-4 years younger than him. I think he has a lower ceiling than everyone else.

Thanks for the write up.

Any thoughts on Stetson Bennett?

58 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I'd take CJ over AR but would be happy with either.  And if it's Levis, I'm good.  I think Young is the best QB but I also don't think he can last.  Eventually a few 300lb guys are going to fall on him one too many times.

2018 QBs drafted in the first round:

1.  Baker

3.  Darnold (remember how many people here wanted him?)

7.  Josh Allen - the AR of that class?

10.  Josh Rosen - ???

32.  Lamar - MVP, but he's kind of proving that his style of play may not be viable in the NFL.

Can't say Crap Shoot more than that does.

I think if Mayfield would've been properly developed and taught he would've been a good starter. Essentially, had the Browns not drafted him, he would've been successful... 

But yeah even in the 1st round it's a 50/50 shot at the player being a bust... 

One of this year's group is going to surprise, and at least 2 others will fail... 

1 minute ago, PRnum1 said:

Thanks for the write up.

Any thoughts on Stetson Bennett?

I watched a handful of his games a few months ago, there's something there at times. But he's small, not super athletic, he'll turn the ball over, his decisions are iffy at times... I don't have a strong opinion on him either way tbh.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, coltsblue1844 said:

Peter King said today that several GMs have told him that they expect CJ Stroud to be a bust in the NFL...and several also said that they've never seen a QB with a low cognitive test do well in the NFL.

Just shows how differently everyone (us, GMs etc) view these players.

Personally I'd take Levis...but I'd also take either Will Anderson or Tyree Wilson (possibly even Jalen Carter) before I'd take Richardson. We don't need a project of that size...and if we ARE going to kick the can so to speak and hope our QB is ready in the future...then let's take the best defensive player available and draft a QB next year... supposed to be a loaded class... Then add to an already good D and let Minshew play for a year. 

Again, I know that wouldn't be popular...and I'd personally take Levis...but just food for thought.

Lamar Jackson had a 13 Wonderlich which is pretty low.  Marino, Kelly, Mcnabb , and Bradshaw all had 15s and are all HOFers.

Stroud had 18.  

22 is average IQ equivalent wise.  So those are some fairly well below average cognition scores. 

But unless those GMS never saw those HOFers then they are being exaggerative. 

Perhaps the game is more complex now than then?

SO EDIT:  I looked and saw that the S2 isn't based on intelligence but speed of processing.  there is some correlation but it will be interesting to see what the difference is.  They are trying to replace the wonderlic.

Just now, k9copinmd said:

I personally have been hoping for Levis from the start and it seemed like it was a good chance he would be the Colts pick. Now it seems things may be changing and Levis may go at 1 or 2. I really hope the Colts don't get Stroud. 

I love Levis release.  

On Levis, from the SI article:

Then, there were the interviews. One team heard him say he wouldn’t make excuses for his downturn in play in 2022, as compared to ’21, then had a list of them ready (coordinator change, injuries). Another said he wasn’t pleased when he got asked about eating a banana with the peel on social media. “He’s not a bad guy,” says a second NFC quarterbacks coach. “But he’s very robotic and overly serious; he needs to calm down. He was so angsty.” An AFC passing-game coordinator adds, “He tries to tell you what you want to hear; he gets caught up in it and he’s not being himself. He's trying to be perfect.”