Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll: Which QB will they select? Which QB should they select?

Superman

Which QB will they select? Which QB should they select?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you WANT the Colts to draft?

• Hendon Hooker, Tennessee
    • Will Levis, Kentucky
    • Anthony Richardson, Florida
    • CJ Stroud, Ohio State
    • Bryce Young, Alabama
    • None of these
  2. 2. Which QB WILL the Colts draft?

• Hendon Hooker, Tennessee
    • Will Levis, Kentucky
    • Anthony Richardson, Florida
    • CJ Stroud, Ohio State
    • Bryce Young, Alabama
    • None of these

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/27/2023 at 07:00 PM

4 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Oh boy, I’m starting to get the angst by thinking what if we do in fact pick Levis. 

A week ago I would be fine with Levis, now I’m a bit stressed out. :thinking:

By tomorrow we'll be hearing that none of his teammates came to his birthday party...

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I think if Mayfield would've been properly developed and taught he would've been a good starter. Essentially, had the Browns not drafted him, he would've been successful... 

But yeah even in the 1st round it's a 50/50 shot at the player being a bust... 

One of this year's group is going to surprise, and at least 2 others will fail... 

There are probably 20 QBs in the last 22 years that could have the same thing said about them, lol!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

There are probably 20 QBs in the last 22 years that could have the same thing said about them, lol!

Yep! Plenty of kids out there have the physical talent, but end up in bad situations or don't get enough focus on processing or even living life as an NFL player. 

• Like 1

I think it was Kevin Bowen who said it best (or Mike Chappel, not sure) - you could talk yourself into any of the top 5 QBs.  

All have at least one concern - size, age, accuracy, processing, etc.

I'm pretty sure I'm on board with whoever we get.  I think my order of preference is Young, Stroud, AR, Levis, Hooker.  For what it's worth. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 6:03 PM, MikeCurtis said:

Not at all

I actually hope they get one early and one late….(QB)

but the odds are that our new QB WONT be a pro bowl player

and the odds are that our QB flames out is higher than needed

How could they make an assessment one way or another if we assume the QB they draft will have just one year of experience come 2024? Josh Allen, for example, didn't get really good until his 3rd year. Same for Jalen Hurts. If you're drafting a QB in the first round, and you're already in the market for a QB the following year, then you probably wasted a high pick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, masterlock said:

How could they make an assessment one way or another if we assume the QB they draft will have just one year of experience come 2024? Josh Allen, for example, didn't get really good until his 3rd year. Same for Jalen Hurts. If you're drafting a QB in the first round, and you're already in the market for a QB the following year, then you probably wasted a high pick.

You are correct.......   

BUT

The team will be looking for signs of progress year one

Hurts showed growth and progress in games and practice year 1

Josh A showed growth and progress in games and practice in year 1

Josh Rosen...... DIDNT show enough progress and was traded, and now I believe is out of football

My overall original thought was that we PROBABLY will be drafting VERY early next year

We MAY again be in line to take a QB early......   

My HOPE is that WHOEMEVER we pick shows enough progress and we can use that early draft pick NEXT year on OTHER positions 

I probably could have been clearer on my communication.....

(One of my MANY areas of growth that my wife lists.....   :) )

24 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

You are correct.......   

BUT

The team will be looking for signs of progress year one

Hurts showed growth and progress in games and practice year 1

Josh A showed growth and progress in games and practice in year 1

Josh Rosen...... DIDNT show enough progress and was traded, and now I believe is out of football

My overall original thought was that we PROBABLY will be drafting VERY early next year

We MAY again be in line to take a QB early......   

My HOPE is that WHOEMEVER we pick shows enough progress and we can use that early draft pick NEXT year on OTHER positions 

I probably could have been clearer on my communication.....

(One of my MANY areas of growth that my wife lists.....   :) )

I hear what you're saying. My thinking is that progress can be hard to judge in just 1 year. If they take Anthony Richardson, for example, a quarterback with just 13 college starts, I wouldn't see them reaching any conclusions in just 1 year. Hendon Hooker, another very real possibility, is coming off an ACL, and so I don't see them reaching any conclusions about his full potential until that is fully healed. It's possible they could trade down and take a QB towards the bottom of the first, or even the 2nd round. But then you really have to be prepared to coach the guy and let him develop,

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, masterlock said:

I hear what you're saying. My thinking is that progress can be hard to judge in just 1 year. If they take Anthony Richardson, for example, a quarterback with just 13 college starts, I wouldn't see them reaching any conclusions in just 1 year. Hendon Hooker, another very real possibility, is coming off an ACL, and so I don't see them reaching any conclusions about his full potential until that is fully healed. It's possible they could trade down and take a QB towards the bottom of the first, or even the 2nd round. But then you really have to be prepared to coach the guy and let him develop,

I have to say that the hope I hold out for is CJ Stroud this year and Harrison at WR next year

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

I have to admit I really liked Bryce Young coming out because he read defenses well in college and is smart. His size didn't really bother me. Part of why he had a bad rookie season is because of the team he is on though IMO. That whole organization has a stench to it homer simpson GIF. I did rebound though and said AR was my guy and bragged about his ceiling. We will see if I am right about AR. I wasn't big on Levis, I just watched him play to many bad games at Kentucky. I was wrong about Stroud but most of us was, as in I doubt anyone thought he would play as good as he has. Stroud has a nice feel for the game and deserves ROY. I wouldn't say he is great yet, but a solid good.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have to admit I really liked Bryce Young coming out because he read defenses well in college and is smart. His size didn't really bother me. Part of why he had a bad rookie season is because of the team he is on though IMO. That whole organization has a stench to it homer simpson GIF. I did rebound though and said AR was my guy and bragged about his ceiling. We will see if I am right about AR. I wasn't big on Levis, I just watched him play to many bad games at Kentucky. I was wrong about Stroud but most of us was, as in I doubt anyone thought he would play as good as he has. Stroud has a nice feel for the game and deserves ROY. I wouldn't say he is great yet, but a solid good.

Strong disagree. You can tell by the poll most of us wanted Stroud. 

I’m hoping AR can still be our franchise QB but I wanted Stroud all along. Many of us did. We just never traded up for him.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Los1sol said:

I’m hoping AR can still be our franchise QB but I wanted Stroud all along. Many of us did. We just never traded up for him.

ballard imo was afraid to trade up, job security to just take what falls to us. in 2020 burrow, hurts, herbert, tua, and love were all in that draft, ballard traded out of the first for buckner, could have still had love but chose eason instead. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 7:17 PM, SOMDColtsfan said:

I voted none and none. Each has their own flaws to be a top 4 pick. Ballard has shown he doesn't care who we think the Colts should pick and that won't change. Heard the Colts have 17 players on their board considered 1st round talent. Probably wrong but don't believe any of those are QB's.

Hate to quote myself but I remember this poll :peek:

My vote was based on "yeah, we are not going to be in a position to draft Stroud, so it was always between AR and Levis". I really don't think that was the wrong approach to take, given what we knew then. Ballard said he didn't feel he needed to be moving up, and he stuck to those words.

Colts have traditionally gone with a pocket passer, so while I WANTED the Colts to draft AR (my choice in poll above), I expected the Colts to draft Will Levis (my choice in poll above). I was pleasantly surprised that the Colts got the QB I wanted for them. :)  

8 hours ago, Los1sol said:

Trading up to get the #1 pick is not easy. Carolina did it and gave up the farm. Nobody knew Stroud would be this good even if they did want him. 

8 hours ago, Los1sol said:

In fact let me ask you a question, do you think Stroud would have had the same season playing for Carolina? I highly doubt it. Texans weren't very good but the Panthers are a dumpster fire. If anyone is to blame for not taking Stroud it is Carolina, not us. I am very pleased that we were able to draft AR. Let's see who is better next year. Remember last year how good Lawrence was, look at this year. It is a year to year league. Other than Mahomes, there are no more Tom's or Peyton's. 

One last thing, if Stroud was really great why did they get lucky to beat us, they got freaking lucky and we had Minshew at QB chuckling homer simpson GIF. Before that 4th and 1 play, ESPN had us at a 87% of winning the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In fact let me ask you a question, do you think Stroud would have had the same season playing for Carolina? I highly doubt it. Texans weren't very good but the Panthers are a dumpster fire. If anyone is to blame for not taking Stroud it is Carolina, not us. I am very pleased that we were able to draft AR. Let's see who is better next year. Remember last year how good Lawrence was, look at this year. It is a year to year league. Other than Mahomes, there are no more Tom's or Peyton's. 

One last thing, if Stroud was really great why did they get lucky to beat us, they got freaking lucky and we had Minshew at QB chuckling homer simpson GIF. Before that 4th and 1 play, ESPN had us at a 87% of winning the game.

I mean Stroud out performed Minshew and was pretty much playing a great game for a QB 20-26 264 yards 2TDs, the Texans couldn’t stop Taylor and that’s why it was close

• Like 1

1 minute ago, runthepost said:

I mean Stroud out performed Minshew and was pretty much playing a great game for a QB 20-26 264 yards 2TDs, the Texans couldn’t stop Taylor and that’s why it was close

Stroud should have outplayed Minshew , he is better, they still got extremely lucky to beat us. If AR was in there, we win IMO.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don’t think Carolina has many weapons for their QB so I suspect Stroud wouldn’t have had as much success as he did in Houston.

I also don’t think Frank Reich is the QB whisper he was made out to be so no advantage from a coaching standpoint either.

Btw, I’m not blaming Ballard. It would have taken a lot for us to trade up and hindsight is always 20/20. But for me it was always stroud then AR. Levis and Young were never on my list. 

I still think the Young pick will doom Carolina for years. Jury is out on Levis. 

3 minutes ago, Los1sol said:

I don’t think Carolina has many weapons for their QB so I suspect Stroud wouldn’t have had as much success as he did in Houston.

I also don’t think Frank Reich is the QB whisper he was made out to be so no advantage from a coaching standpoint either.

Btw, I’m not blaming Ballard. It would have taken a lot for us to trade up and hindsight is always 20/20. But for me it was always stroud then AR. Levis and Young were never on my list. 

I still think the Young pick will doom Carolina for years. Jury is out on Levis. 

Fair enough, I think Young is doomed being in Carolina. 

47 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Fair enough, I think Young is doomed being in Carolina. 

I personally didn’t want anything to do with Young, but as a small guy who has tall friends, I just can’t get my mind past the thought of a QB throwing over guys that are that much taller than he is. I know what it looks like when you’re small, and I didn’t trust him at all.

I loved both Stroud and AR and was fine with either one. I felt Stroud had the higher floor and AR had the higher ceiling. I still feel that way, and I think if AR was the QB against Houston, they return home crying. 

On 4/23/2023 at 5:19 PM, Patrick Miller said:

I’m hoping the panthers and Texans surprise and young Falls to us at 4. Prob won’t happen though so I want Stroud or Levis.

Kinda glad we didn’t get young but I’ll stick with what I said after that.

Watched a few Buckeye games last year and said to my wife before the draft that Stroud will be great in the NFL and Panthers should have taken him ahead of Young. Stroud played really well in the play offs too. Saw Young play a couple of times, and he never excelled enough for me for him to be a #1 pick. As others have said, he was just too small. 

Like others, I never expected Stroud to fall to 4, so in my mind it was always Richardson or Levis. As a Gators fan, I had everything crossed for Richardson, and was so pleased when the pick was announced! Can’t wait to see him play next year 

• Like 1