Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Way too early final 53 (post draft)

Offense:(26)

QB:(3) Anthony Richardson, Joe Flacco, Sam Ehlinger

RB:(3) Johnathan Taylor, Evan Hull, Trey Sermon

WR:(6) Michael Pittman, Alec Pierce, Josh Downs, Adonai Mitchell, Ashton Dulin, Anthony Gould

TE:(5) Mo Alie-Cox, Andrew Ogletree, Jelani Woods, Kylen Granson, Will Mallory

OT:(3) Bernard Raimann, Braden Smith, Blake Freeland

OG:(3) Quentin Nelson, Will Fries, Matt Goncalves

OC:(3) Ryan Kelly, Tanor Bortolini, Danny Pinter

Defense:(24)

DE:(5) Samson Ebukam, Kwity Paye, Laiatu Latu, Dayo Odeyingbo, Tyquan Lewis

DT:(4) Deforest Buckner, Grover Stewart, Raekwon Davis, Adetomiwa Adebawore

LB:(5) EJ Speed, Zaire Franklin, Ronnie Harrison, Jaylon Carlies, Grant Stuard

CB:(5) Dallis Flowers, JuJu Brents, Kenny Moore, Jaylon Jones, Micah Abraham

S:(5) Julian Blackmon, Nick Cross, Rodney Thomas, Daniel Scott, Jaylin Simpson

SPT:(3)

K: Matt Gay

P: Rigoberto Sanchez 

LS: Luke Rhodes 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

WR:(6) Michael Pittman, Alec Pierce, Josh Downs, Adonai Mitchell, Ashton Dulin, Anthony Gould

At first glance…. I think you NAILED IT!!  🏆 

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Think Goodson makes it, Slovis over Sam, think Taven Bryan makes the cut.  Not sure MAC sticks but very very solid list. We likely will sign at least 1 vet db to round out unit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I like it as of now. I believe when we sign a veteran CB later on, we can safely cut Mo-Allie Cox for whichever CB we sign and have 4 TEs and 6 CBs.

• Like 1

I'll make a prediction, why not......lol..........this is with no new FA signings, and prior to cut-down day signings.

Offense (24)

QB: Richardson, Flacco, Ehlinger (on the 53-Man but only dresses as the emergency QB - allowing 48 other guys to dress still)

RB: JT, Sermon, Hull

WR: Pittman, *Mitchell, Downs, Pierce, *Gould 

TE: Woods, Ogletree, Granson, Mallory

LT: Raimann, Freeland

LG: Nelson, Sills

C: Kelly, *Bortolini

RG: Fries, 

RT: Smith, *Gonclaves

Teams (3)

P: Rigo

LS: Rhodes

K: Gay

Defense (26)

FS: Thomas, *Simpson

SS: Blackmon, Cross, Scott

LCB: Brents, Speed

RCB: Jones, Flowers

NB: Moore, *Abraham

WLB: Speed, *Young

MLB: Franklin, Olubi

SAM: Harrison, *Carlies

LEO: *Latu, Ebukam

DT: Buckner, Adebawore

NT: Stewart, Davis

DE: Paye, Dayo, Lewis

Practice Squad from existing roster

1. Anderson - OL

2. Tucker - OL

3. Witt - OL

4. *Pennix - TE

5. *Slovis - QB

6. Scott - RB

7. Goodson - RB

8. Fernea - WR

9. Montgomery - WR

10. Denbow - S

11. Baker - CB

12. Ajiake - LB

13. Land - DE

14. Leo - DE

15. *Laulu - DT

16. *Coe - NT

17. *Roster Exception* Dabo - S

Kinda interesting what the oline will look like next year. Kelly and Fries are FAs and Braden might be a cap casualty as we can save 16.5 mil by cutting him after the 2024 season. Is this the oline Raimann Nelson Bortolini Goncalves Freeland

That DL will have savage competition.  I mean, Isaiah Land is very promising, but he’ll have to beat out Dayo or Lewis or something.  And Adebawore is going to have to show something to beat out Bryan and the versatile guys (Dayo, Lewis, Laulu, etc.) and Johnson.  It’s gonna be interesting to see how it washes out…

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Kinda interesting what the oline will look like next year. Kelly and Fries are FAs and Braden might be a cap casualty as we can save 16.5 mil by cutting him after the 2024 season. Is this the oline Raimann Nelson Bortolini Goncalves Freeland

Freeland still has a ways to go before he is able to win the starting job. As of right now he is probably an average backup swing tackle. Hopefully he takes a big step this year. Barring more injuries, Smith is probably safe a couple more years bc he has played great when available. Staying available is key. 

1 hour ago, Archer said:

That DL will have savage competition.  I mean, Isaiah Land is very promising, but he’ll have to beat out Dayo or Lewis or something.  And Adebawore is going to have to show something to beat out Bryan and the versatile guys (Dayo, Lewis, Laulu, etc.) and Johnson.  It’s gonna be interesting to see how it washes out…

And Jonah is an athlete though didnt tap into much at Hawaii or Oklahoma so likely is stashed on P.S. for the season unless he really shows up early and often. I was surprised Bryan was brought back after he under achieved but club must have seen something they really liked so think he sticks, Johnson hasnt shown anything to date so do or die time for him imo.

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Freeland still has a ways to go before he is able to win the starting job. As of right now he is probably an average backup swing tackle. Hopefully he takes a big step this year. Barring more injuries, Smith is probably safe a couple more years bc he has played great when available. Staying available is key. 

I thought Freeland had some good moments. Just needs to get stronger. Hopefully he hit the gym this off-season. 

11 hours ago, CR91 said:

I thought Freeland had some good moments. Just needs to get stronger. Hopefully he hit the gym this off-season. 

He did have some good moments. He still struggled a lot though. Kind of expected from a rookie that had to start 9-10 games. Hopefully he does get stronger. 

I don’t think we keep 5 TEs. 3 or 4. MAC, Woods, Ogletree. Maybe Granson

Alsobi think the DL will have more players. I think Bryan makes it and possibly Laulu. 

Also don’t think Abram’s makes it over Baker at CB. Also idk if I see Pinter making it. If Goncalves gives you Tackle and guard flexibility, and Tanor gives you guard/center flexibility, I don’t think that leaves a spot for Pinter. He’s also coming off of a season ending injury.

On 4/27/2024 at 5:19 PM, GoColts8818 said:

So 11 pass catchers + 9 OL is where I think the balancing out needs to happen. (And of course, my eye goes straight to Mo.) I think more likely it's 9 pass catchers + 10 OL, and then you have room for an extra DL or maybe LB.

It helps the OL that Goncalves and Bortolini can play multiple positions. I still think more depth is needed at OL. And 3 RBs seems light, but I guess that's just how it goes, and if you need help you rely on the PS. It seems like we need a better RB2 though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

So 11 pass catchers + 9 OL is where I think the balancing out needs to happen. (And of course, my eye goes straight to Mo.) I think more likely it's 9 pass catchers + 10 OL, and then you have room for an extra DL or maybe LB.

It helps the OL that Goncalves and Bortolini can play multiple positions. I still think more depth is needed at OL. And 3 RBs seems light, but I guess that's just how it goes, and if you need help you rely on the PS. It seems like we need a better RB2 though.

Yeah I have no objection to more additions coming to the roster.  I just went off the guys here today.  Still, yeah I’d like at least another running back added.

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah I have no objection to more additions coming to the roster.  I just went off the guys here today.  Still, yeah I’d like at least another running back added.

Makes sense, I'm glad you did this because it's not something I like doing myself, but it helps to visualize it. And that's why RB2 jumped out at me so much. If there's one position where I feel like we're just not ready if the season started tomorrow, that's it. 

19 hours ago, Archer said:

I agree - I’ll prolly go with three…

Respectfully….

I think there’s likely close to a zero point zero chance of only three tight ends.   

Because that means no backup for one of the two spots.   I think Steichen would insist on two Y’s and two F’s.   

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I think it's possible Mo is one of those right before the cut day trades where instead of cutting him we trade him to another team for a player at a position we are lacking depth/talent. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I was expecting we go RB on day 3 in the draft but we didn't. Either way... backup RBs are not that hard to find... hell, like I said above... we can probably trade Mo for one if we wanted. 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think it's possible Mo is one of those right before the cut day trades where instead of cutting him we trade him to another team for a player at a position we are lacking depth/talent. 

I was expecting we go RB on day 3 in the draft but we didn't. Either way... backup RBs are not that hard to find... hell, like I said above... we can probably trade Mo for one if we wanted. 

I guess we'll see on Mo. I don't think he has any real trade value, especially with his salary.

Not hard to find a backup RB, and maybe we already have someone who can handle RB2, but most of our guys seem like specialized backs. If JT has to leave in the first quarter with a concussion, I don't think any of our backups would be well-suited to finish a game with 20+ carries. So it's the one spot on offense I think we should do something about. And honestly, it can probably wait.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Respectfully….

I think there’s likely close to a zero point zero chance of only three tight ends.   

Because that means no backup for one of the two spots.   I think Steichen would insist on two Y’s and two F’s.   

We’ve gone with three before.  Heck, I could be wrong, but I think we only had three at the end of last year, with Woods on the IR and Ogletree on the exempt list…

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

I guess we'll see on Mo. I don't think he has any real trade value, especially with his salary.

Not hard to find a backup RB, and maybe we already have someone who can handle RB2, but most of our guys seem like specialized backs. If JT has to leave in the first quarter with a concussion, I don't think any of our backups would be well-suited to finish a game with 20+ carries. So it's the one spot on offense I think we should do something about. And honestly, it can probably wait.

Yeah, just... every year there seems to be RBs that teams get off the street mid-season and they have productive games in relief of an injured starter. I'm not too worried. If we need one, we will find one. Hell, teams trade like a 4th-5th rounder for starters mid-season.  :dunno: 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Was also gonna say, I think Olubi is on the bubble. I like him more than most people seem to.

Yeah I wouldn’t be shocked if he makes the final roster.  Health and things like what they do will MAC and Sam will determine those last few spots.

32 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah I wouldn’t be shocked if he makes the final roster.  Health and things like what they do will MAC and Sam will determine those last few spots.

I thought about Sam, but ultimately, I figure they'll carry 3 QBs all season, whether it's Sam or someone else. I think the 2 QB days are a thing of the past for the Colts.

2 hours ago, Archer said:

We’ve gone with three before.  Heck, I could be wrong, but I think we only had three at the end of last year, with Woods on the IR and Ogletree on the exempt list…

Yes….  I think it was three at the very end of last season.   The season when the Colts literally made zero moves to help with winning games.  The priority was to let kids play and gain experience.  

As for before that,  that was before Steichen.   To the extent he has a voice on the final decision, I’d say Shane wants as many tight ends as he can get on the 53. 

We obviously won’t know until early September and the final cutdown to 53, so I’d stress this is just my opinion.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes….  I think it was three at the very end of last season.   The season when the Colts literally made zero moves to help with winning games.  The priority was to let kids play and gain experience.  

As for before that,  that was before Steichen.   To the extent he has a voice on the final decision, I’d say Shane wants as many tight ends as he can get on the 53. 

We obviously won’t know until early September and the final cutdown to 53, so I’d stress this is just my opinion.  

Thanks for the reminder that real football is months away.  :applause:

• Thanks 1

On 4/28/2024 at 5:01 PM, MacDee1975 said:

Not sure why we'd keep 5 TEs.

I was thinking the same.  In that scenario the OP has only 5 Linebackers, they usually play on Special Teams, so I would think that extra spot would go there.