Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anthony Richardson: The Pocket Passer

Thanks for sharing @RollerColt.

I think he showed several examples in his limited play with Indy that he has a really natural feel for the pocket. I think he's going to develop into a pretty good pocket passer. Will be better than Jalen Hurts IMO.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, cjwhiskers said:

Thanks for sharing @RollerColt.

I think he showed several examples in his limited play with Indy that he has a really natural feel for the pocket. I think he's going to develop into a pretty good pocket passer. Will be better than Jalen Hurts IMO.

Better pocket passer than fields and Lamar as well

• Like 3

This is the thing that turned me into Richardson fan when I started watching him. I had the complete wrong impression of him before I watched his tape. Richardson has all the athletic tools to be one of the best scrambling QBs ever. But that's not really in his nature. His first instinct when the pocket is collapsing is not to take off and run... it's to reset and make a throw or escape the pressure and make a throw on the move. 

• Like 8

Here's the second video where Warner provides more constructive criticism. 

Warner says "AR just can't live in the big throws downfield, he's got to make the short routine throws and make the layups"

"On the short throws he has to work on his accuracy"

See for yourself 

• Like 2

People saying he was a run first QB never watched his college tape. I won't lead the witness, but you can make some basic assumptions as to why people believed that.

IMO, his actual football problems coming into the league were:

- bad footwork. Made him have some inconsistent, wild throws at times.

- not that great at making easy, short passes. The layups, essentially.

I'd say in the short sample we saw last year, that the latter issue he dramatically improved on. For the former, there were still some erratic throws (when he missed, he really missed), but he also showed progress there a s well (his completion percentage in the NFL was 59.5 vs 53.7 in his one year starting at college. It's usually the opposite trend for most rookies)

I'm absolutely on board on AR becoming a franchise QB, the only issue he has is proving he can stay healthy. I also don't think calling out two minor injuries vs one major injury is enough to call injury prone, but he has to prove it all the same.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Stephen said:

Better pocket passer than fields and Lamar as well

Come on now…  Lamar Jackson is a two time NFL MVP.   Justin Fields is entering his 4th season, and he wasn’t terrible with Chicago.   

Anthony Richardson started 4 games for the Colts.  He’s thrown just 84 total passes.   We’re all pulling for the kid to succeed,  but he’s got a lot to prove before  anyone can credibly say AR is better than Fields or Jackson.   

There are plenty of questions to be asked and the answers wont come until early next year.    We all could be having an entirely different conversation next off-season.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Come on now…  Lamar Jackson is a two time NFL MVP.   Justin Fields is entering his 4th season, and he wasn’t terrible with Chicago.   

Anthony Richardson started 4 games for the Colts.  He’s thrown just 84 total passes.   We’re all pulling for the kid to succeed,  but he’s got a lot to prove before  anyone can credibly say AR is better than Fields or Jackson.   

There are plenty of questions to be asked and the answers wont come until early next year.    We all could be having an entirely different conversation next off-season.  

ARs pocket presence and awareness is far better that Fields. The Bears moved on from him and he will be a backup in the NFL.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

ARs pocket presence and awareness is far better that Fields. The Bears moved on from him and he will be a backup in the NFL.

Yup, his awareness in the pocket was almost elite level coming out of college.  Such an underrated part of his game.  

14 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

Yup, his awareness in the pocket was almost elite level coming out of college.  Such an underrated part of his game.  

Also, a more accurate comp for AR is Josh Allen. Not Fields or Lamar .

• Like 3

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Also, a more accurate comp for AR is Josh Allen. 

• Like 1

ARs and the Colts success has and will always be decided on the ability to throw the football. I’m positive the staff has a plan to develop ARs passing skills and find a great blend with his athleticism to create plays. Only one way to find out if the plan is a good one and that’s to wait and see what happens. The offense has the OL and weapons to be extremely dangerous so it should be a lot of fun. 

Since this is an AR thread, I will make some early Optimistic but Realistic predictions:

1. AR will start in 15 games this season out of the 17.

2. He will pass for 3650 Yards = 243.3 a game. 

3. He will Rush for 650 Yards = 43.3 a game.

4. He will throw for 30 TD's = 2 a game.

5. He will run for 10 TD's. Remember he ran for 4 in just 4 games last year.

6. He will be 9-6 record wise when he starts. 

Last season the Colts totaled 5725 yards of offense in 17 games. This season AR will account for 4300 yards IMO, I can see Taylor at around 1400 yards rushing. I think with AR, we should crack 6000 yards of total offense which last year would have put us 9th in the league. Very possible comparing it to what we did to last year's 5725. Flacco will start 2 games and may have 1 good game and 1 bad game?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

ARs and the Colts success has and will always be decided on the ability to throw the football. I’m positive the staff has a plan to develop ARs passing skills and find a great blend with his athleticism to create plays. Only one way to find out if the plan is a good one and that’s to wait and see what happens. The offense has the OL and weapons to be extremely dangerous so it should be a lot of fun. 

I don’t think they are as bad as people think. The rams game was an outlier and brought his average down yet he still came back in that game. He would of been over 60% without that game.

13 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t think they are as bad as people think. The rams game was an outlier and brought his average down yet he still came back in that game. He would have been over 60% without that game.

I really don’t see many people say it’s bad. Just unproven, which I find fair. This year will tell us everything we need to know about this teams direction. 

16 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t think they are as bad as people think. The rams game was an outlier and brought his average down yet he still came back in that game. He would of been over 60% without that game.

The 1st half at Houston and the 2nd half vs the Rams showed me what his potential can be alone. When he was in playing the Titans, we were controlling that game too. 

7 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I really don’t see many people say it’s bad. Just unproven, which I find fair. This year will tell us everything we need to know about this teams direction. 

I totally agree.  If AR proves he can stay on the field, we have our direction to shoot for.  If he misses more than 2 games, it will still be uncertain.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I totally agree.  If AR proves he can stay on the field, we have our direction to shoot for.  If he misses more than 2 games, it will still be uncertain.

“If Richardson misses more than 2 games his future will still be uncertain.”  ????

When did 2 become the magic number.   Or when did playing 14 games not become enough?   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

“If Richardson misses more than 2 games his future will still be uncertain.”  ????

When did 2 become the magic number.   Or when did playing 14 games not become enough?   

I'm not directing this question to you but how is it Peyton Manning throws 28 ints and leads the Colts to a 3-13 record his rookie season, but if AR leads the team to a 4-13 record, the future is uncertain ?

Doesn't AR deserve as much a chance as Peyton Manning ?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I said more than 2 games.  So if he is injured and misses 3-4 games, I don't think we can feel confident that he will lead us to the promised land.  The Colts will have to make sure they have a good/great backup QB.

32 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I'm not directing this question to you but how is it Peyton Manning throws 28 ints and leads the Colts to a 3-13 record his rookie season, but if AR leads the team to a 4-13 record, the future is uncertain ?

Absolutely.  I think most are giving him the opportunity.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I find missing 2-4 games in a year acceptable for most nfl players. Some years will be better than others.  One thing is for certain, our QB will be hit really hard nearly every game. I don’t think he has to play 15 games minimum but I hope he plays all of them. If he gets injured, it all depends on how to determine if we should be worried. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PRnum1 said:

Im not sure I follow your meaning….

But….

If AR leads the Colts to 4-13 that’s a bad, bad sign.   The rules have changed dramatically in the last 25 years to benefit the offense.   If AR struggles to 4-13 that says something is seriously wrong.   I think it’s extremely unlikely this will happen.   Plus he’s surrounded by a talented roster and a very good coaching staff.   My prediction is for 9-8.  

But I think this is going to happen at least once, maybe more:   Colts down by 4 late in the game. and AR is driving the team.  They must get a TD.   And AR will throw an interception.  He won’t see the safety or a linebacker and that will end the game.   And our community will have a melt-down.  

I’ve been banging this drum since AR was lost for the season.  He’s basically still a rookie and badly in need of experience.  He’s going to learn on the NFL level.  There are going to be growing pains.   There are no short cuts.

I love Anthony Richardson.  Great kid.  But I encourage patience.  

Im sorry if I didn’t answer your question.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Maybe.   Maybe you’re right.   

But as of right now Gardner Minshew is a starter, so is San Darnold in Minnesota.  Desmond Ridder started for most of the last two seasons in Atlanta.  And Geno Smith, a nobody for most of his career,  has been the starter for Seattle for the last 3-4 years.    My point is Fields needs an opportunity.  And if he doesn’t get it this year he’s a free agent next year and may get an opportunity with a new team.  

Im always patient with QBs.  I always root for QBs to succeed.   Even if it’s later in a career the way it did with Randall Cunningham about 25-30 years ago.   (I think the only QB I never pulled for is Jay Cutler.)

So you might be right.  But we don’t know enough about AR right now to know.  Even Ballard said in Jan/Feb that AR still has to prove himself and no one should crown him just yet.   I’m in that camp.  

• Like 1

On 5/9/2024 at 12:45 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Richardson has always been a pass first QB. The people that say he is run first were just wrong.

Yes, some people buy into the narrative without watching film He doesn't automatically default to running at the first sign of trouble. He seems to remain focused on passing and only runs when necessary to extend the play.

37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe.   Maybe you’re right.   

But as of right now Gardner Minshew is a starter, so is San Darnold in Minnesota.  Desmond Ridder started for most of the last two seasons in Atlanta.  And Geno Smith, a nobody for most of his career,  has been the starter for Seattle for the last 3-4 years.    My point is Fields needs an opportunity.  And if he doesn’t get it this year he’s a free agent next year and may get an opportunity with a new team.  

Im always patient with QBs.  I always root for QBs to succeed.   Even if it’s later in a career the way it did with Randall Cunningham about 25-30 years ago.   (I think the only QB I never pulled for is Jay Cutler.)

So you might be right.  But we don’t know enough about AR right now to know.  Even Ballard said in Jan/Feb that AR still has to prove himself and no one should crown him just yet.   I’m in that camp.  

That's your opinion. My opinion is that AR ( barring injury of course) will be very good this year. Not 2 years or 3 years down the road like you think.

1 hour ago, masterlock said:

Yes, some people buy into the narrative without watching film He doesn't automatically default to running at the first sign of trouble. He seems to remain focused on passing and only runs when necessary to extend the play.

To add to this, the times he ran first the play was specifically designed and intent on him running. When asked to throw he stays in the pocket and throws. Ironically I can see the future where he could’ve simply ran for a 1st down, and elected to throw and we end up with a stalled drive and much complaining. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I find missing 2-4 games in a year acceptable for most nfl players. Some years will be better than others.  One thing is for certain, our QB will be hit really hard nearly every game. I don’t think he has to play 15 games minimum but I hope he plays all of them. If he gets injured, it all depends on how to determine if we should be worried. 

To me, it depends why and which games he misses.  If he misses 4 because of various injuries and we go 1-3 in those games, it is cause for concern. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Myles said:

To me, it depends why and which games he misses.  If he misses 4 because of various injuries and we go 1-3 in those games, it is cause for concern. 

I see that. If he misses for a bunch of little things of course it’s cause for concerned. If he gets leveled or his knee is twisted up in a pile…some sort of injury that would make anyone miss time, it will be part of playing football.  Players get injured every year. It’s a violent game.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

That's your opinion. My opinion is that AR ( barring injury of course) will be very good this year. Not 2 years or 3 years down the road like you think.

I don’t recall saying 2-3 years, at least not in this exchange.   I know I’ve said it in the past, but that was around a year ago.   

I didn’t like AR as a prospect in Jan thru April of 23.   Hated him.   But once the Colts made the pick and I heard what Ballard, Steichen, Dodds and Brown had to say, I was sold. 

So I root hard for AR.  Great kid!  And I agree with you, injuries are the great unknown.   Even in this thread, I’ve shared that I think AR leads the Colts to 9-8 this year.   So I’m not down on AR or the Colts.   I think we’ll be very competitive.  I’m optimistic.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t recall saying 2-3 years, at least not in this exchange.   I know I’ve said it in the past, but that was around a year ago.   

I didn’t like AR as a prospect in Jan thru April of 23.   Hated him.   But once the Colts made the pick and I heard what Ballard, Steichen, Dodds and Brown had to say, I was sold. 

So I root hard for AR.  Great kid!  And I agree with you, injuries are the great unknown.   Even in this thread, I’ve shared that I think AR leads the Colts to 9-8 this year.   So I’m not down on AR or the Colts.   I think we’ll be very competitive.  I’m optimistic.  

What exactly did they say that made you change your mind? 

• Like 1

I have 3 words for him - Remember The Titans. They’ve injured Luck, AR and even Peyton.

Also, knowing to trust the OL is important, sometimes Minshew’s pocket mechanics would get scattered for no reason because he wasn’t trusting his OL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

What exactly did they say that made you change your mind? 

Fair question.   Give me a while.   My Saturday is booked up.   I’m going to pull the video clips of all the comments made to refresh my memory.  Doing that will take some time. 

But I will get back to you.  I’m not ignoring you.   I look forward to responding.  

• Like 2

The guy has played so little actual football in college and the NFL.  Who knows what he is or what he might be... if he can stay healthy.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I agree with about everything you say here.  Not a fan of the Richardson pick. I wanted Stroud. I thought he was clearly the best QB out of the four that year. Afterwards I was hoping Colts would trade back and get Levis and more draft capital. 

Since we drafted Richardson, I have watched a lot of analysis on him. I see why they love him as a prospect. His upside is enormous and he has the ability be a matchup nightmare. I also think he is a genuinely good man. While I have my strong doubts he will reach his potential, it won’t be bc of a lack of effort. 

I’m rooting for AR. I think he deserves success and I hope he earns it. I’m all in on the kid and it looks like the Colts are too. They are trying hard to put a consistent team with depth around him to let him do what he does best. Go make plays and elevate the team around him 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I agree with about everything you say here.  Not a fan of the Richardson pick. I wanted Stroud. I thought he was clearly the best QB out of the four that year. Afterwards I was hoping Colts would trade back and get Levis and more draft capital. 

Since we drafted Richardson, I have watched a lot of analysis on him. I see why they love him as a prospect. His upside is enormous and he has the ability be a matchup nightmare. I also think he is a genuinely good man. While I have my strong doubts he will reach his potential, it won’t be bc of a lack of effort. 

I’m rooting for AR. I think he deserves success and I hope he earns it. I’m all in on the kid and it looks like the Colts are too. They are trying hard to put a consistent team with depth around him to let him do what he does best. Go make plays and elevate the team around him 

Yeah this pretty much sums up my sentiments as well. 

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Refresh my memory - was Stroud available at pick 4?  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Refresh my memory - was Stroud available at pick 4?  

Of course he wasn’t. Why my next sentence said afterwards I was hoping Colts would trade back and get Levis and more draft capital. 

But you knew that. Thanks