Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Carson Wentz Appreciation Thread


danlhart87
 Share

Recommended Posts

Yeah he’s done a great job, we just have to keep him healthy. This season has been brutal schedule wise along with the rise of the Titans play. Hopefully next year we continue to build off of how well the offense has been playing lately and doesn’t fall off. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll disagree with the WR part. Pittman is emerging as a top WR, Pascal is very solid. Plus our depth is lightyears ahead of what he had last year.

 

I will definitely eat crow here. I didn't want him when the talks started. Thought he turned the ball over too much and was to fragile but boy has he balled out here. I know we dont want to lose our 1st rounder but IMHO hes well worth it..

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, twfish said:

I'll disagree with the WR part. Pittman is emerging as a top WR, Pascal is very solid. Plus our depth is lightyears ahead of what he had last year.

 

I will definitely eat crow here. I didn't want him when the talks started. Thought he turned the ball over too much and was to fragile but boy has he balled out here. I know we dont want to lose our 1st rounder but IMHO hes well worth it..

 

I was more interested in Stafford.  But when the Wentz trade happened I came around pretty quickly.  I just figured maybe Ballard and Reich knew something I didn't :thmup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

WR unit is meh aside from Pitt, but we have plenty of pass catching options. Both JT and Hines are great in the passing game. And TE is good but underutilized. If TY is back, he'll add a lot of options. 

 

But yes, Carson has done well without a legit Z/slot type, better than expected. But his biggest accomplishment was persevering through a horrible OL to start, and his injuries. 

 

Don't ask him to play hero ball, and he'll remain top 10 in most stat categories. He's a great component of a balanced offense.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would like to see him do better at calling audibles at the line of scrimmage, and sliding. We can nit pick about holding the ball too long or slinging it where it shouldn't go, but Luck did that too. 

 

Also, the deep passing is great....I just hope it's a timing thing and not an arm issue since almost all the deep passes have been short. 

 

All that said, he's been playing pretty well now that the O-line is playing better, so I will: 

 

200.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I would like to see him do better at calling audibles at the line of scrimmage, and sliding. We can nit pick about holding the ball too long or slinging it where it shouldn't go, but Luck did that too. 

 

Also, the deep passing is great....I just hope it's a timing thing and not an arm issue since almost all the deep passes have been short. 

 

All that said, he's been playing pretty well now that the O-line is playing better, so I will: 

 

200.gif

Well I mean so far our best deep play has been DPI, Maybe that is the exact route and throwhaha I do think though some of the underthrows will come with more time. Still getting use to his guys speed, and didnt have his legs for so much of the year early on. Pitt and Pascal would be the two guys I want to see the consistent deep throw with, just as he has the most practice with them. Dulin and those types, I understand the throws being off

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Imo Pitt is our only great and reliable receiver. Hilton is on the twilight of his career....Campbell is made of glass....and Pascal seems to have disappeared lately. We need to draft or pick up another Wr next season.

Pascal is still on target for around his usual 600 yards. I do agree though he disappeared a few games. Maybe that’s because Pittman has now emerged as the number one WR.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

We don't have great WR options and even with that Wentz is having a solid year.

 

I know the wins will come more as the season goes on but I'm very happy with Carson so far and think he could be our guy for years.

 

 

Made your post popular, and I agree 100%. Carson is an above average QB, and would have ridiculous elite numbers if you eliminate the Titans game where he threw 2 of his 3 INTs all year. He's completely worth the 1st round pick we most likely have to pay next year.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Pascal is still on target for around his usual 600 yards. I do agree though he disappeared a few games. Maybe that’s because Pittman has now emerged as the number one WR.

He's still getting a lot of targets. Getting more targets per game than he ever has.

But he's got a poor catch %, and has the most drops (4) on the team. 

He's left a lot of yards on the field. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

We need a compliment to Pitt. Need Zach to be more of the 3.  Hilton should be good to go Sunday. Hopefully he can stay on the field. 
 

 

i think patmon can be a number 2 after ty retires he is a clone of pittman but more athletic .  he is a deep threat that we need right now . there is a reason the colts held onto him last year  he is gonna be special

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s funny you visit the Titans message board and they think he’s a terrible QB. But of course they wouldn’t know good QB play since they were used to terrible guys like Jake Locker, Mariota, Zach Mettenburger, among others. 
 

They also think Tannehill is this top 10 QB which is a joke to me. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

We need a compliment to Pitt. Need Zach to be more of the 3.  Hilton should be good to go Sunday. Hopefully he can stay on the field. 
 

 

 

We need ZP to be more a swing/tweener WR4. Still heavy in the rotation, just not a focal point.

 

We need a real Z. And we need a legit traditional Slot.

Zack is really to small to be a primary X, and not fast enough to be a Z or traditional slot. 

 

He can play big-slot just fine though, and can be a solid tweener backup in general.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The two biggest critiques/complaints about Carson by most are...

 

1.  He doesn't know when to quit.  In other words he's a competitor and just wants to win and sometimes to his own detriment he makes what some call boneheaded plays and others just say mistakes.  What would you rather have because you can't have it both ways.  You either have a competitor or a quitter.  Remember that many times his extra effort (not quitting on a play) turn out to be great positives for the team and keep the drive going.  Just hope that the mistakes are kept to a minimum.

 

2.  His injury history.  Not much he can do about that other than to learn to slide better and or (as related to #1) quit on plays to reduce risk of injury.  I don't think anyone wants a quitter and everyone loves a competitor and wants a winner.  

 

I think Carson is a winner.  I saw every home game he played in college and have followed him in his pro career.  His time in Philadelphia started promising but turned into a debacle and most of it wasn't his doing.  Philly fans for the most part don't like him because they say he quit on the team.  I disagree and say the ownership and the team quit on him.  Philly has to be one of if not thee worst run organization in the NFL and that's saying a lot when you look at some of the others who are perennial losers (Detroit) for example.  Minnesota is seeing what horrible coaching and lack of good drafting can do to a team.  

 

Keep supporting Carson and the team and if ownership and management build around him I'm sure you're going to be happy with the results for years to come.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After we traded for him I went and watched a lot of his college and Philly tape and was impressed by his play. He ran very similar scheme to what we run under Frank in college and his first couple years in Philly with Frank as OC there. IMO he's a great QB for this scheme. Not sure why Philly got away from it his last couple years there. Seemed like they tried to force him to be a Rodgers and throw it 50 times every game instead of running the ball and setting up play action and RPO's. Frank needs to learn from that Titans game and stick with the balanced attack. Don't force him to play hero ball and he'll be great.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/10/2021 at 1:53 PM, danlhart87 said:

Pittman is the only great one IMO

 

  Great is a stretch but we are all getting on board. I was a solid optomist about what he Might become, with another season or so, but yeah, gettin'
all giddy about his play This Quick, is a Blast. And Taylor as much or More.
  The dream is alive Colts Fans, we just have to let it breath some more. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/11/2021 at 1:07 PM, Coltsfan98 said:

After we traded for him I went and watched a lot of his college and Philly tape and was impressed by his play. He ran very similar scheme to what we run under Frank in college and his first couple years in Philly with Frank as OC there. IMO he's a great QB for this scheme. Not sure why Philly got away from it his last couple years there. Seemed like they tried to force him to be a Rodgers and throw it 50 times every game instead of running the ball and setting up play action and RPO's. Frank needs to learn from that Titans game and stick with the balanced attack. Don't force him to play hero ball and he'll be great.

 

 Frank learned squat from the Titans game, he came here with the run the ___ ball philosophy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

22 TDs, 5 INT

 

7 games with a passer rating above 100, tied for second in the NFL

 

Given the choice, ....Colts would make the trade again 10/10 times — and I think there's a chance he'll be much better in Year 2 with a full camp and preseason.

 

...........Zak Keefer

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There was. Play today where  he had pascal deeper wide open and he took the shorter checkdown to Pittman. I was like wow he is growing up. 

19 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

22 TDs, 5 INT

 

7 games with a passer rating above 100, tied for second in the NFL

 

Given the choice, ....Colts would make the trade again 10/10 times — and I think there's a chance he'll be much better in Year 2 with a full camp and preseason.

 

...........Zak Keefer

And more weapons at WR.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/10/2021 at 1:53 PM, danlhart87 said:

Pittman is the only great one IMO

 

Great if you see with blue colored glasses. He is a very good WR, far from great in terms of potential, let us not use that term loosely. CeeDee Lamb, that guy has great potential amongst 2nd year wide outs that include Pittman, Claypool, Higgins etc. Pittman is definitely in the very good category, IMO, next only to Lamb in that 2020 class. JT is by far the best RB in that class. We should keep an eye on JaMarr Chase as well from this class. 

 

Wentz definitely has shown why Frank vouched for him, 100%, slam dunk for a franchise QB giving up at worst a pick in the 15-20 range if it turns out to be the case where we don't make the playoffs. It was a case of player's mutiny where they drove the HC Doug Pederson out and benched Wentz when he clearly was the better QB than Hurts.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...