Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Carson Wentz Appreciation Thread

danlhart87

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/10/2021 at 1:53 PM, danlhart87 said:

Pittman is the only great one IMO

Yea, i was hoping for more.  I think the loss of Campbell was big.  Pascal is valuable, but not quite “the guy”.  Also, whether age or health, TY has underwhelmed as well.  Dulin has stepped up lately as a plus.

However, past Pittman, nobody scares you.  And i wouldnt even put Pitt in the “scare” category yet.... “very concerned”, yes.

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

He did and so did Harbaugh but I think Wentz has surpassed both.

Rivers had 24 touchdowns 12 picks last year wentz will have more touchdowns and less picks . Plus he was hurt the first 5 or 6 games could barely walk and had no training camp .  Next year he will be back to a top 5 QB if we get him one more weapon . 

11 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

He’s already behind Manning and Luck as the best QB the Colts have had in Indy.

My list would go as far as in an Indy uniform:

1. Peyton

2. Luck

-here's the deal with #3, Wentz has been good this year but so was Rivers last year and so was Harbaugh in 1995 and 1996. Lets give it 1 or 2 more years but Wentz looks like he is on Luck's level, just keeping it 100 and I love Luck.

6 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Yea, i was hoping for more.  I think the loss of Campbell was big.  Pascal is valuable, but not quite “the guy”.  Also, whether age or health, TY has underwhelmed as well.  Dulin has stepped up lately as a plus.

However, past Pittman, nobody scares you.  And i wouldnt even put Pitt in the “scare” category yet.... “very concerned”, yes.

Yea Pittman doesn't take over games the way Hilton did yet

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1. Peyton

2. Luck

-here's the deal with #3, Wentz has been good this year but so was Rivers last year and so was Harbaugh in 1995 and 1996. Lets give it 1 or 2 more years but Wentz looks like he is on Luck's level, just keeping it 100 and I love Luck.

Thank you!!   I know it is extremely early but Wentz easily has the skills to be considered at the same level as Luck.  Luck was great those first three years but I never felt we were a player or two away from beating anyone.  I have that feeling now.  I know people talk about Wentz and his hero ball but I thought Luck was just as bad at that.  Every game I was waiting for Luck to over throw a ball for an INT or extend a play and get stripped. 

Luck was a great QB but I think Wentz is as well.  We stole him from the Eagles. 

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1. Peyton

2. Luck

IMO Wentz is on Lucks level & Captain Comebacks . Rivers did'nt  have Wentzs ability to throw the long ball accurately .  

Wentz is lucky he has a better run game o-line & defense consistently better than 18 or 12 the protection is good Chris Ballard has done a great job . 

Wentz has really stopped playing hero ball and just takes what is given to him. Credit Reich. He hasn’t been taken unnecessary hits and has kept himself safe. Only runs when he has to which has provided a really good element to this offense. 

Aftee a shaky start with the oline the oline has really protected him well. I think we have only given up around 20 sacks. Which how the season started is kind of crazy.

22 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Thank you!!   I know it is extremely early but Wentz easily has the skills to be considered at the same level as Luck.  Luck was great those first three years but I never felt we were a player or two away from beating anyone.  I have that feeling now.  I know people talk about Wentz and his hero ball but I thought Luck was just as bad at that.  Every game I was waiting for Luck to over throw a ball for an INT or extend a play and get stripped. 

Luck was a great QB but I think Wentz is as well.  We stole him from the Eagles. 

That is one reason why I still have Luck 2nd because we were never 1 or 2 players away from winning it all. I think we are now = another good WR and good CB. We won because of Luck mainly from 2012-2014. Yeah TY was great in those days, Reggie was in 2012, Mathis was in 2013 but Luck carried us a ton with no run game. Ballard is building a monster around Wentz and it is sweet. Luck has to be like, why didn't have this back in 2015-2017. Grigson just destroyed #12's career, SAD!

Credit here goes to Ballard, Reich and Wentz. He is easily worth a first round draft pick. The Colts were right.

Wentz is good enough to win a championship. But not good enough to demand a back breaking 40 million dollar salary that wrecks the rest of your team. He is the perfect fit. 

34 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is one reason why I still have Luck 2nd because we were never 1 or 2 players away from winning it all. I think we are now = another good WR and good CB. We won because of Luck mainly from 2012-2014. Yeah TY was great in those days, Reggie was in 2012, Mathis was in 2013 but Luck carried us a ton with no run game. Ballard is building a monster around Wentz and it is sweet. Luck has to be like, why didn't have this back in 2015-2017. Grigson just destroyed #12's career, SAD!

Yeah. I have Luck also at 2 because he was able to just take over a game and win it. Didn't matter how many minutes or seconds were left either. Until Carson is able to carry this team (or at least beat the damn Patriots) I can't have him higher than Andrew. 

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

Yeah. I have Luck also at 2 because he was able to just take over a game and win it. Didn't matter how many minutes or seconds were left either. Until Carson is able to carry this team (or at least beat the damn Patriots) I can't have him higher than Andrew. 

I think we will beat NE in 2 weeks. Where I would put Wentz ahead of Luck is, if he has a couple long playoff runs. So that will take a year or 2. Luck won 4 playoff games and we went to an AFC Title Game.

IIRC Luck couldn't beat NE?? That will always irk me.

Wentz definitely isn't #2 yet because pre shoulder injury Luck was next level awesome.

Wentz will be a Colt hero to me if we can beat NE because it's been a long time since we've beat those fools.

He's definitely made football more interesting for us again.

5 minutes ago, IinD said:

IIRC Luck couldn't beat NE?? That will always irk me.

Wentz definitely isn't #2 yet because pre shoulder injury Luck was next level awesome.

Wentz will be a Colt hero to me if we can beat NE because it's been a long time since we've beat those fools.

He's definitely made football more interesting for us again.

Oh I love Wentz play so far, you have to remember when Luck played the Pats they had Tom too though. Still a win vs the Pats would be huge for Wentz and our franchise with BB in the other side. It would be our best win of the year.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have a slightly differing opinion on the Luck Era that really does not need to be hashed out. I honestly don’t think he cares much with how it all played out and what we have now. I think he has a brilliant mind and made his millions and was walking away sooner than later anyways.  I don’t blame him and would understand more players making that decision. Honestly surprised more players don’t retire sooner as it is.  

Player wise, I agree with WR and CB but will add we also need another DE that just goes after the QB on passing downs. Defense should be priority this offseason.  

I like Wentz a lot but If Luck stayed healthy he  could’ve been an all time great.

Reich would’ve limited his “bonehead” plays and having JT would’ve been downright scary. I hope Luck makes a return to Lucas Oil in the near future(honorary captain or something). The fans would go crazy for him.

47 minutes ago, IinD said:

True, but we almost beat the Bucs with Brady....and they are a better team than the Pats were when the Luck played them IMO. 

36 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I've said it before. Wentz is my QB. He can be my QB any Sunday. He has my trust to lead this team.

Definitely.

Thankfully last year was just him in a crap situation because even if you don't think he's a Manning/Brees elite QB he's easily in that next tier of QB's. 

The type you can win with.

I think for a few more Eagles fans they are starting to slowly realize that they F'd up the Carson deal.  The next several years are going to be pretty salty for them as they see the Colts in the playoffs while Howie and Lurie are still messing up their hopes.  It's going to be pretty funny as they try to crap all over Carson and the Colts while they make excuses for why they are doing so poorly even though they will have 3 first round picks next year barring some weird trade deal where they trade away one or more of them for future picks.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep I agree and I will be the first to admit I didn't want him lmao . I didn't want him though due to his injury history but I think on this team he should be able to stay healthy barring a fluke bad injury.

You weren’t alone. I was not a fan of the trade due to his decline in Philly and injury history.

I have nothing but praise and gratitude now. 

3 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

I thought it was rivers fault last year because he can’t throw a deep ball anymore . This year proved Hilton is now a number 3 wr . If we had a legit number 2 guy Hilton would be a fine third option.

Rivers wasn't why Buffalo beat us. We scored 24 points and he had 0 turnovers. We made 2 or 3 mistakes that had nothing to do with Rivers that lost that game.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rivers wasn't why Buffalo beat us. We scored 24 points and he had 0 turnovers. We made 2 or 3 mistakes that had nothing to do with Rivers that lost that game.

I was talking about Hilton’s lack of production last year . I thought it was rivers fault because ty is a deep ball wr .

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

I've said it before. Wentz is my QB. He can be my QB any Sunday. He has my trust to lead this team.

I love Wentz.   But, personally, I’m not quite as in love with him as you are.  

I’d like to see how he does the rest of the way, especially against the Pats and Cards.   Those two games are playoff games for us. I’d also like to see how he does if we make the actual playoffs.   I’d like to see if he can avoid Covid.   He made it an issue by not getting the vax.   If he comes down with it and it costs the team, there will be Hell to pay here. 

On balance he’s mostly played well.   But the jury will be out for me for a while. 

57 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’d like to see how he does the rest of the way, especially against the Pats and Cards.   Those two games are playoff games for us. I’d also like to see how he does if we make the actual playoffs.   I’d like to see if he can avoid Covid.   He made it an issue by not getting the vax.   If he comes down with it and it costs the team, there will be Hell to pay here. 

On balance he’s mostly played well.   But the jury will be out for me for a while. 

I think Wentz has played like a franchise QB but I agree with you regarding can he beat Elite teams consistently. If he and his team beats the Pats that will show me a lot. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wentz is making due with what he's got as well. Sure Taylor and Pitt are amazing weapons, but the line was shaky to start, LT is still an issue, and there really is no third or fourth option after JT and Pitt. Hilton is a shell of himself, Pascal hasn't caught a pass in like four weeks, and TEs are pretty non-existent in the passing game. (great blockers)

17 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Wentz is making due with what he's got as well. Sure Taylor and Pitt are amazing weapons, but the line was shaky to start, LT is still an issue, and there really is no third or fourth option after JT and Pitt. Hilton is a shell of himself, Pascal hasn't caught a pass in like four weeks, and TEs are pretty non-existent in the passing game. (great blockers)

All your points are true. 

They also have very little to do with my points of concern about him.    We’ll both have a better evaluation on about 6 weeks or so. 

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

All your points are true. 

They also have very little to do with my points of concern about him.    We’ll both have a better evaluation on about 6 weeks or so. 

Its more to elevate my point on Wentz being able to beat top teams even if the talent is somewhat lacking. Hell we turned the ball over 5 times and only lost by 7 to the bucs. 

Carson has done very well. We will give up that 1st rounder but I definitely feel now that it is justified. Just re watched the highlights from this game. He threw some outstanding passes. We need major upgrade in Wr's and tight end. Then we'll be ready to go. 

Archived