Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Colts at Baltimore Postgame Thoughts

EastStreet

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall it sucks to lose but I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it would be a blowout. Everyone already knew this team was a pathetic embarrassment.  They actually played good ball for half a game and the offense and Wentz were not bad. Now we can just take the rest of the season off and probably next couple years too.  Maybe the team will at some point not be complete garbage but that isn't this year. 

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Bull they did go back to that style for a couple of plays and guess what it slowed the ravens down and then they went right back to that prevent zone.  They didn’t lose both corners for the game.  They lost Rogers but he came back in and was clearly out of position in the zone.  He was the one they picked on the most.  Also continuing to try to cover their stud tight end who had killed you all night with a linebacker and ends has nothing to do with the corners so let’s stop this it’s all injuries nonsense.  

I’m not excusing it necessarily, just stating it played a factor. They just watched Rodgers back up get burnt.

I've been saying we need a corner for a while. As soon as Rhodes and 34 got injured, it was GG. 

Pass rush was not an issue. Why are we talking about that? What do you expect with 22 unanswered points in OT? 

This is the kind of game that defines a season.

This defense also % the bed in the 4th vs the Dolphins. Sure the injuries made it worse, but Eberflus is incompetent at the worst times. 

Lamar is a great QB, but he basically went to two (Brown, Andrews) reads the entire 3rd and 4th quarter with absolutely no pressure. A lesser quarterback could have done what he did to this garbage prevent D. Jacoby was absolute garbage last week until the 4th where we played the exact same kind of D. And Eberflus did exactly nothing to stop that then and this week as well. Absolutely pathetic.

I'd say fire Blankenship too but I doubt there's a good replacement out there. We were blessed with Vinatieri for a long long long time....

1 minute ago, bestQBever said:

Lmao playoffs? you talkin about playoffs? Do you really think this team can stop the Bills, Cheifs, Chargers, or Browns right now? Teams would be drooling to play us if we had a chance of making it in.

If we’re not making the playoffs (spoiler: we’re not) and we’re stuck in the mud picking 15-20 that’s not going to do a whole hell of a lot to get us out of being stuck in the mud. 

My point isn’t about the playoffs, or any teams in it. It’s about how getting healthy and finishing with 8 or 9 wins is worse for us than just rolling over on the whole season. 

Just now, colts89 said:

This is the kind of game that defines a season.

This defense also % the bed in the 4th vs the Dolphins. Sure the injuries made it worse, but Eberflus is incompetent at the worst times. 

Lamar is a great QB, but he basically went to two (Brown, Andrews) reads the entire 3rd and 4th quarter with absolutely no pressure. A lesser quarterback could have done what he did to this garbage precent D. And Eberflus did exactly nothing to stop that. Absolutely pathetic.

I'd say fire Blankenship too but I doubt there's a good replacement out there. We were blessed with Vinatieri for a long long long time....

Eberflus goes to the present and won’t get out of it and the prevent just lets QBs complete as any many passes as they want.

I’ll give Blankenship a pass because he was hurt.

Gonna give fair warning. My comments are not going to have a lot of positive.

- Stick a fork in the Colts season.  The team may win some games against overmatched opponents, but no playoffs this year.  The reason: our "vaunted" defense.  I may not be a coach, scout, GM, etc., but I will tell everyone this: you are not winning anything when your defense is able to play as bad as the Colts D in the last 18+ min of regulation and OT.  The thing is that this is an established pattern that we have seen multiple times this season, last season (remember Steelers game last year) and even in 2019: where the defense goes complete sieve for extended periods of the game.  I am sure there will 1000 excuses as there always are, but the above fact about winning football games (especially against good teams) with your defense playing like that is never going to change. 

- What the heck was Frank Reich thinking on the 2nd to last offensive possession with the Colts up 25-17? You have a kicker with an injury, you have a defense that has clearly shown it has stopped doing anything to help you win a football game and your answer is to run it two times against a stacked box? Why not on one of those plays run play action out of a tight formation designed to sell run?  A TD there was the best chance to put the game away. 

- If Eberflus is getting heat (which is well deserved), a good portion should be directed at Ballard. It was his call to go with this scheme well before a head coach was hired.  Most of the players on D are his picks.  The current D is worse than anything we fielded when Pagano and Grigson were here. Do a quick search and look up how many QBs have had career type days against us over the past few seasons since Eberflus has been here. (and before I get flak for saying I want them back, I make that statement only to illustrate how bad the current D and scheme have been)

4 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

The offense looked beautiful tonight though. By far the best it’s been all season. Ravens didn’t stop us once.

Even executing at probably our highest level on offense and with the defense playing legitimately great for almost 3 quarters, we got beat by about the 4th or 5th best team in the AFC. The whole thing is laughable.

9 minutes ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

Take the damn points you son of a +

Did I miss when we had a turnover on downs in the red zone? We also had an injured kicker....

9 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Ballards crappy secondary and Flus's weak schemes got exposed tonight

We went into the game down our top graded CB in Rock, then lost Rhodes mid-game and were down to PS elevated CBs. You're going to play conservatively to avoid your bad corners from getting torched.

8 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Our zone defense is so bad that a glorified RB threw for over 400 yards against it.

Wow....the disrespect. Going into this game, Jackson was statistically one of the top passing QB's so far this season.

8 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Great choke job. Why didn't they blitz ? Couldn't cover anyway. Ridiculous coaching once again. Why did Reich run the ball on 3rd and 8 ? 

They were running 4 WR 1 TE (Andrews) sets. There wasn't anyone to blitz because we needed help in coverage.

Just now, John Waylon said:

If we’re not making the playoffs (spoiler: we’re not) and we’re stuck in the mud picking 15-20 that’s not going to do a whole hell of a lot to get us out of being stuck in the mud. 

My point isn’t about the playoffs, or any teams in it. It’s about how getting healthy and finishing with 8 or 9 wins is worse for us than just rolling over on the whole season. 

We lose our first rounder. But if Wentz plays like he did today, may have been worth it.

Injured D backs sure but it wasn’t working rushing 4 over and over and over and Eberflus never even tried bringing the house. Maybe you get burned but so what, you were getting picked apart anyway. Try something different! Impossible to say this is a well-coached team. Really hard to root for this organization right now. Great culture, though. 

Just now, JediXMan said:

Wentz came to Indy to play with a good OL and decent D. He has improved but the OL and D has regressed go figure.

The oline had an amazing night tonight.  If the Colts win the toss they go down the field and score.  The ravens weren’t stopping the Colts either.

This will probably be one of the hardest losses this season. As for post game takes:

1. Offense looked great, Ran the ball well and Wentz looked like a franchise QB.

2. Injuries I'm guessing Blankenship got hurt sometime in the warm-up or practicing kicks on the sideline. Cost us alot of points and the game.

3. Defense played great in the first half

4. Injuries killed the secondary right after the fumble return Rhodes and Rodgers were out and that started Ravens comeback with the deep pass on BoPete.

5.Injuries Rhodes leaving the game with the concussion left us with Rodgers, Moore, BoPete, and another guy I never heard of. Rodgers was suppose to be our 4th guy (behind Rhodes, Ya-Sin, Moore) the fact he had to take a major role should indicate how low in the depth chart we are. 

6. I thought the clock management before half was great by Reich, saved the timeout which allowed us to get that field goal.

Overall there is gonna be alot of whining and complaining this week, but I don't put this loss on anyone aside injuries.

Edit: Forgot to mention 7. Pryor looked fantastic on the right side and OL played great considering who was out.

13 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

So glad we wasted draft pick on players that not even playing why was rock again and we are done with the season we had them by the throat and we just let up. The play before the first blocked kicked was stupid.  The morale of this team is in the gutter. All that hard work to defeat these guys means nothing.

Rock was out with a bad ankle.  Two weeks in a row now. 

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

The oline had an amazing night tonight.  If the Colts win the toss they go down the field and score.  The ravens weren’t stopping the Colts either.

I'm mainly taking about the season. Injuries has also played a part just mad right now.

15 minutes ago, Frenchy789 said:

Are we the Falcons?! TWO TD's + TWO 2-point Conversions in like 6 minutes and change?!? 

Injured to hell and back in the seconday. 

Excellent O-Line, it just sucks that having the best T/G/C in the NFL is nothing like having the best WR or TE or any skill position player in the NFL.. 

We played well but that 4th quarter collapse will have to be examined if we want to make it to the playoffs. 

Funny thing about our OL... they did play very well for most of tonight (a few bad pressures given up and a bad holding call late, as well as a bad blocking job on the last to FG attempts).. we're missing the guy who is our best G, Kelly has been banged up, Smith has been hurt... our OL, hypothetically, should be even better.

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think the blocked FG is on Blankenship.   Campbell should not have gotten as far in as he did.  

Campbell got in pretty far in the kick at the buzzer, too... it was like Blankenship had to kick it left to avoid him.  

1. Coaching....
    • good early scripting on O plays early halves, and good D game plan early.... but...
    • horrible decision to go conservative on O in combination with going totally soft prevent way too early
  2. Pass D -
    • We gave up 440 yards to a QB who is not great passer... that's 99% on scheme. We just invited him to eat up the cushion, and he did... and we lost because of it. It's not because of injury. We begged him to throw. He did. 
  3. We had some bad individual whiffs from players that weren't backups. Oke missed a few tackles, and also gave up both the late TD and the 2pt conversion that tied it up.... Moore had more whiffs.
  4. QB
    • Wentz played out of his mind tonight. 70%, 400 yards, 2 TDs.... Can't ask for more. Anyone else still want to poo poo him?
  5. Offensive skill
    • JT with 160+ from scrimmage. Mack with almost 10 yards per carry. Pittman with almost 90. Campbell and Mo with 50 or more..... The O did way more than enough..... 
  6. Defensive Line
    • Lewis and AQM had pretty darn good games with sacks, TFLs, and QB hits. Not much from anyone else though. Defo, Turay, and Banogu weren't factors.
  7. We need to look hard at kicker. If Hot rod had a hip issue going into the game, why didn't we sign a guy and temp him up. But missing an XP is just hard to accept.. 
  8. This hurts. Total choke job. Just no reason to give up 22 unanswered. 
  9. Special thanks to Justin Houston for the break (horse collar) even though we choked that series away too.

Archived