Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Colts at Baltimore Postgame Thoughts

EastStreet

an hour into work.. I walk into work to see a Lamar Jackson photo with fire coming out of his mouth tapped to my office door. I've already have 6 guys come in hear and give me the business.. the * sucks..

my post game thought.. still.. cover freaking mark andrews!! pathetic.. I'm probably skipping football next week. 

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, coming on strong said:

i dont know why he is so hyped up around here he missed clutch kicks last year too .  anything outside of 50 is a huge risk he has the same leg power as AV when he was almost 50 kicking for us .  He went undrafted because of his weak leg

He’s hyped cuz he’s likable. He was bad last year and it was only a matter of team before Not Rod showed up again

7 hours ago, bWild said:

Okereke was awful tonight. He’s never been strong against the run, but he had played coverage well the last couple seasons. But man, he looked lost or was out of position numerous times tonight (hence Mark Andrews’ stat line). I honestly don’t believe his ceiling is much higher…

Tonight? Dude stinks and always stunk. His stench continues to grow

Hey, let's play soft zone when the game is on the line and let them march down the field! Especially when we are down to 4th stringers...what a great idea! That long TD Ravens threw was completely on Flus for not giving safety help. 

This pass rush is beyond PATHETIC. Buckner has been taking double and sometimes triple teams almost every game, and QB's still have waaaay too much time to throw. 

I want someone to ask Reich why he runs JT outside the tackles (both for 10+ yards) and then sends Hines up the middle YET AGAIN (for a 3rd run in a row)

Reich needs to stop with the analytics and takes the * points. He tries to get cute waaaaaaay too often. 

They kept the wrong kicker.

Nice to see Campbell doing something. 

About time they figured out that using Mo Allie Cox leads to good things! 

Also, I'm a big Mack fan (and he did well) but not when he's taking carries away from JT when he's running absolutely elite.

Wentz looked really good.

At the end....Reich using Wentz for the "QB sneak" to get 2 yards instead of going for the 1st down was an absolutely * poor decision. Esp when your kicker is having issues. 

Reed and Pryor have really stepped in well also.  

Should've won that game. That was a back breaker. 

29 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

an hour into work.. I walk into work to see a Lamar Jackson photo with fire coming out of his mouth tapped to my office door. I've already have 6 guys come in hear and give me the business.. the * sucks..

my post game thought.. still.. cover freaking mark andrews!! pathetic.. I'm probably skipping football next week. 

I'd look for a new job.

20 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Hey, let's play soft zone when the game is on the line and let them march down the field! Especially when we are down to 4th stringers...what a great idea! That long TD Ravens threw was completely on Flus for not giving safety help.  When you're on 4th stringers, you die by a thousand cuts or you die by a thunderbolt, either way you will die. The only way we were walking away with a W was if the offense did it.

This pass rush is beyond PATHETIC. Buckner has been taking double and sometimes triple teams almost every game, and QB's still have waaaay too much time to throw. The pass rush is bad....we knew it would be that. Going to have to be a little bit more patient with the young guys. And understand that your patience may extend into Q3 with no reward, it stinks but that's what it is.

I want someone to ask Reich why he runs JT outside the tackles (both for 10+ yards) and then sends Hines up the middle YET AGAIN (for a 3rd run in a row)

Reich needs to stop with the analytics and takes the * points. He tries to get cute waaaaaaay too often. What points didn't he take???

They kept the wrong kicker. Stop it. The young man got hurt, could happen to anyone. Frustrating but it happens.

Nice to see Campbell doing something. 

About time they figured out that using Mo Allie Cox leads to good things! 

Also, I'm a big Mack fan (and he did well) but not when he's taking carries away from JT when he's running absolutely elite.

Wentz looked really good.

At the end....Reich using Wentz for the "QB sneak" to get 2 yards instead of going for the 1st down was an absolutely * poor decision. Esp when your kicker is having issues. It was the one call i think he regrets. He was panicked by the amount of time left is what i think happened there.

Reed and Pryor have really stepped in well also.  

Should've won that game. That was a back breaker. It's only a back breaker if they let it be that. Everyone expected them to lose. This is the point where the leaders stand up and set the tone and strategy moving forward. I expect this team to win this division. They have hung with some serious contenders in the first quarter of the season. They need to get a little more healthy too but i think they're in an okay place.

57 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

Wow oh wow, this was the first Colt game I saw live this season as I am always working on Sunday afternoon because I have a job and go to work unlike so many others in this Biden catastrophe . So let me start by saying I am now 5-0 in my weekly predictions and in this weeks prediction I stated we would lose because of "critical, crucial errors and mistakes at the worst times possible". Two missed xtra points and two missed field goals fit that criteria. BUT, that was not the main reason we lost. The number one reason for the loss was something we have seen way to often over the past 48 years. A pathetic, ridiculous defensive strategy where the players backup as fast as they can and give 10-15 yard chunk plays to WIDE OPEN receivers, backs, and tight ends. So the end result was another loss to a young dynamic, uber athletic qb 0-2 this season as we couldn't handle Wilson in week one. Blowing a 25-9 lead against a team that media people ALWAYS state is not built to comeback from deficits, let alone a 16 point deficit is inexcusable and downright pathetic. So much speed and talent on defense and all they do is backup, retreat and surrender. Another prediction here, I have no idea who the gm, coach, or players will be over the next 10 years but there will no sb championships. History will continue to repeat itself over and over. Owners win, fans lose and as a Colt fan for over 50 years I most definitely am used to it. Fourteen years with Peyton Manning at qb and 1 championship, that speaks for itself, and along with last nights game is the reality of the nfl. Never cause for celebrations as Colt fans. Sad, but true, oh well, on to next weeks game!

Lol… “BeCausE i HavE a JoB aNd Go To WoRk UnLiKe So MaNy OtHeRs In ThIs BiDEN cAtAsTrOpHe.”

Hot take. No one gives a % about your cruddy political opinions. 

BOBBY O is a bum

Bobby O should be on STs only

Blackmon is not very good either.

Eberflus needs to be on the next plane smoking out of Indy.

Not Rod is going to cost the team more games just like last season.

Bobby O is bad

Reich tried to ice a game that had 4 mins left smh. Going into that shell mad it easier on the Ravens.

Wentz and the offense look better and better each week, unless we go into the not to lose shell.

Thank goodness for Gruden’s emails.

Bobby O is a bum. 

The same thoughts get reinforced:

• The offense doesn't need to spend a combined $35 million on a LG and  RT.  The point of Frank's offense is to spread the ball around to different receivers quickly.  Once Wentz and Ehlinger get comfortable, it shows in the offensive production.  Since its the NFL and the pass sets up the run, once the passing game is secured then JT can break off nice runs.
  • The defense doesn't need to spend $20 million on a WILL.
  • Its tough to win when a team has to play its third string UDFA Corners.
  • Missed Xtra point, blocked FG, missed FG cost us the game.
  • Oh yeah, Frank is a good play caller.
  • Wentz has weird throwing mechanics.

Lets just focus on winning the next 2 and building some momentum. Ultimately set a goal of getting to 4-4 to get back on the horse.. I think the schedule has loosened up enough for us to do that if we get out of our own way. I think we can win the Titans and 49ers games with a healthy Carson. Jets and Texans definitely.

No, this loss is not on Wentz.  402 yards, 2 TD's, 0 INT's

No, this loss isn't on the offensive line.  123 yards rushing, 2 sacks allowed.

No, this loss isn't on the play calling.  I saw creativity.  I saw design.  I saw anything but vanilla.  They went to every page in the play book.  (Including some that maybe should have been left alone!)

This loss, plain and simple, is on the DB injuries during the game.  They were down to their last guys.  Moe, Larry, and Curly, who just came off the practice squad this week.  When the Ravens scored to make it 23-9 with 12 minutes left in the game, I knew it was over.  There was no way we were going to prevent them from scoring touchdowns the rest of the way.  It all had to be on the offense.  Could we score enough to put it out of reach, while taking as much time off of the clock as possible?  And the defense?  They did what they could to protect their bad DB's.  The pass rush was more about containing Lamar Jackson than sacking him.  Don't let him run.  In the secondary, make sure nobody gets deep.  Yes, this will leave people open underneath.  Don't let them get out of bounds and stop the clock.  We know they're going to score.  Just make it take as long as possible to happen.

And we very nearly made it.  We got ourselves to a makeable field goal with 4 seconds left.  Almost.

But when the Ravens got the coin toss in OT, it was over.  Because we couldn't stop them.  Not with Moe, Larry, and Curly.

SO!  Next game.  Houston.  Should be a win.  Except...  Will we still have to play with Moe, Larry, and Curly?

Our LBers are horrendous in pass coverage, Fisher is still letting Carson get rocked blindly. We definitely need to fix some things. It's time to carry an extra kicker always. Blankenship misses clutch field goals way too often. I don't care how accurate you are if you always miss game winners and extra points that matter.

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Hit rod is hurt I’ll give him a pass because of the injury.  Also he wasn’t playing defense tonight.

Leonard sucked - but he’s injured.

Hot Rod sucked - but he is injured.

Entire secondary sucked - but they are injured.

that’s a significant part of our problem.  Any one change to those would have changed the course of the game just slightly.  Ideally though we would have coaches that don’t call unbearable prevent defenses the entire 4th quarter.

injuries are absolutely decimating us, we just don’t have any depth left.

Even if we purposely tank we still prob won’t have a first rounder, so can’t even look forward to the draft.  Not like the draft did literally anything for us this year.

the one positive is Wentz, even while also injured, is the real deal.  We can win games with him.  But I feel terrible that he came here and now our team regressed so badly that he’s on a sinking ship.

44 minutes ago, DougDew said:

• The offense doesn't need to spend a combined $35 million on a LG and  RT.  The point of Frank's offense is to spread the ball around to different receivers quickly.  Once Wentz and Ehlinger get comfortable, it shows in the offensive production.  Since its the NFL and the pass sets up the run, once the passing game is secured then JT can break off nice runs.

Dude what Is going on recently?!! I’m agreeing with you AGAIN!!

well mostly, I’d still keep Big Q and Smith .

inwill say this, for 56 minutes Frank called one of the BEST games I think I’ve seen him call. Then when he went conservative with 3 straight up the gut runs, he panicked and , combined with the blocked FG , cost us the game. However his game plan put us in control for the game against what many perceive to be one of the top teams in the league. And we went toe to toe with them for much of 5 periods of football. To me, this was like Apollo Creed vs Rocky for the first time. Apollo barely wins. But Rocky learns about himself and comes back to win in the next meeting.

46 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Excellent takes. The playcalling was stellar last night. All the misdirection and a sense of urgency from Wentz. We felt we could run the ball at will. And I will not question franks decision to try to milk more clock and settle for a FG. we would've been up 11 with what 4 mins to go. Who TF know we'll have the kick blocked. Everything came together for the Ravens in the last quarter while we just couldn't cover anyone anymore. It was pitch and catch Dree Brees vs Colts style. Lamar will NEVER have another passing game like that... until we see him again..

Just now, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Excellent takes. The playcalling was stellar last night. All the misdirection and a sense of urgency from Wentz. We felt we could run the ball at will. And I will not question franks decision to try to milk more clock and settle for a FG. we would've been up 11 with what 4 mins to go. Who TF know we'll have the kick blocked. Everything came together for the Ravens in the last quarter while we just couldn't cover anyone anymore. It was pitch and catch Dree Brees vs Colts style. Lamar will NEVER have another passing game like that... until we see him again..

Keep in mind too, the Ravens have the number 3 defense in the league and just beat the Chiefs too

1 minute ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Lamar woke up when we were down to secondary players fresh off the street. Everyone knew what was coming, the only hope was maybe one of them could steal a play....force a fumble, fool Lamar, something. Either way, Frank coached a heckuva game. Wink Martindale looked like he had ZERO clue how to stop the Colts....and he didnt. 

I'm still a believer. I am on record saying we'd start 0-5 or 1-4. I thought 2-3 or anything better would be miraculous. I think we need to get and stay healthy (and also hope COVID issues dont arise), starting with Houston, I'm going to sit back and watch this team make pundits eat crow. I'm 90%+ sure it'll happen.

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

Lamar woke up when we were down to secondary players fresh off the street. Everyone knew what was coming, the only hope was maybe one of them could steal a play....force a fumble, fool Lamar, something. Either way, Frank coached a heckuva game. Wink Martindale looked like he had ZERO clue how to stop the Colts....and he didnt. 

I'm still a believer. I am on record saying we'd start 0-5 or 1-4. I thought 2-3 or anything better would be miraculous. I think we need to get and stay healthy (and also hope COVID issues dont arise), starting with Houston, I'm going to sit back and watch this team make pundits eat crow. I'm 90%+ sure it'll happen.

I wish I could agree with you.. I didn't have big expectations this whole season. Even thought we'd lose to the ravens but when we manhandled them for as long as we did and still lost it doesn't feel very good. And we may have a few "easy" games coming.. some big time teams are still ahead. including the top three teams in the league right now :dunno:.. shall see...

10 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Let’s be real the colts had a 19 pt lead. Never should of come down to hot Rod. The defense blew it.

Well yeah, but what do you expect when we’re playing guys that wouldn’t make a roster if it wasn’t for injuries?

2 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I wish I could agree with you.. I didn't have big expectations this whole season. Even thought we'd lose to the ravens but when we manhandled them for as long as we did and still lost it doesn't feel very good. And we may have a few "easy" games coming.. some big time teams are still ahead. including the top three teams in the league right now :dunno:.. shall see...

For sure, losing sucks. No one likes it. And certainly not after dominating those guys. I agree with Wentz...if there's one thing the Colts learned last night, it's that you never let off the gas. As much as i hated seeing Belichick and the Pats run up the score in 07, i could see why. You stomp the opponent regardless of the scenario.

The schedule isn't easy but i think the narrative around this team is going to be interesting in Q2. The record will show us as a .500 team but it'd be a deceiving record. We just need to get healthy and stay relatively around that place of good health. 

28 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Dude what Is going on recently?!! I’m agreeing with you AGAIN!!

well mostly, I’d still keep Big Q and Smith .

inwill say this, for 56 minutes Frank called one of the BEST games I think I’ve seen him call. Then when he went conservative with 3 straight up the gut runs, he panicked and , combined with the blocked FG , cost us the game. However his game plan put us in control for the game against what many perceive to be one of the top teams in the league. And we went toe to toe with them for much of 5 periods of football. To me, this was like Apollo Creed vs Rocky for the first time. Apollo barely wins. But Rocky learns about himself and comes back to win in the next meeting.

I think the play calling was a bit conservative there too.  Should have tried to get one more first down which would have made the FG easier and taken more clock.  

Having said that, it looks like the FG was on line before being blocked, so it was Glow's fault really.

31 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think the play calling was a bit conservative there too.  Should have tried to get one more first down which would have made the FG easier and taken more clock.  

Having said that, it looks like the FG was on line before being blocked, so it was Glow's fault really.

Reich is always too agressive when he shouldn’t be and not aggressive enough when he needs to be.

People sure like to quickly jump to the injury excuse on here. Almost every team has injuries every week.

I think we looked really good last night minus the secondary play in the 4th quarter and OT. I said we could win 10 games after the Titans game and I still believe thats possible.

That being said if we really are just a couple guys going down in the secondary away from being that bad, then you have to start looking at the person who built the secondary

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

People sure like to quickly jump to the injury excuse on here. Almost every team has injuries every week.

I think we looked really good last night. I said we could win 10 games after the Titans game and I still believe thats possible.

That being said if we really are just a couple guys going down in the secondary away from being that bad, then you have to start looking at the person who built the secondary

Same conversation happening in Kansas City right now. Same exact conversation. Brett Veach is taking a beating for building a 'bad' defense. Oh, and guess the other parts of the conversation. (1) Andy Reid is getting slammed. Again Colts fans can relate (2) A growing segment of Chiefs fans are wondering about how/if/why Pat Mahomes wages are taking up so much of the salary room and not allowing them field a good defense. Again, Colts fans will know that narrative well.

Basically, all that to say, fans are insane. Chris Ballard has ONE job, figure out if Wentz is the one, and if he isnt then find the one. That's it, that's his job. Everything else is filler.

10 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Something I just heard but didn’t notice. Apparently Eberflus was dropping our dline in to coverage. If that is true he needs fired right now. No wonder we can’t get pressure.

I saw at least one play where are LDE dropped into coverage.  It was pathetic.  Gotta bring some pressure sometimes (not all the time), gotta keep mixing it up.  It feels like we didn't do that in the 4th QTR.

9 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Same conversation happening in Kansas City right now. Same exact conversation. Brett Veach is taking a beating for building a 'bad' defense. Oh, and guess the other parts of the conversation. (1) Andy Reid is getting slammed. Again Colts fans can relate (2) A growing segment of Chiefs fans are wondering about how/if/why Pat Mahomes wages are taking up so much of the salary room and not allowing them field a good defense. Again, Colts fans will know that narrative well.

Basically, all that to say, fans are insane. Chris Ballard has ONE job, figure out if Wentz is the one, and if he isnt then find the one. That's it, that's his job. Everything else is filler.

If that is Ballard's one job, then I think he's found his guy.  Wentz is playing outstanding IMHO.  I feel like he's our guy.

These blown leads are a crushing blow to this team, the franchise, and its fans. Just like blowing the large lead to Pittsburgh last year cost us a division title and a home playoff game, this game will cost us a shot at the playoffs. I think half of the gray hairs on my head come from watching this team play football.

5 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

If that is Ballard's one job, then I think he's found his guy.  Wentz is playing outstanding IMHO.  I feel like he's our guy.

I was not a fan of the trade(still not) but I have to admit, Wentz has played better than I expected so far!

Archived