Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Colts at Baltimore Postgame Thoughts

EastStreet

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

There you go 22 basically unanswered. Missed xp, blocked fg and missed fg. I don’t want to hear an injury excuse. If injuries him kick that badly he should have not been playing. We should’ve found some kicker off the street that  can make simple field goals and extra points. That was basically your season we don’t come back from this. It’s like the Colts left  Baltimore in the fourth quarter. As a Colts fan I’m really ticked off and I’m anxious to see what smoke screen Reich will use for a reason that is not the coaching staffs doing.  

He was hurt during the game.

5 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

If that is Ballard's one job, then I think he's found his guy.  Wentz is playing outstanding IMHO.  I feel like he's our guy.

I still don't know for sure. I think he has a few things to clean up but this season is about finding that out. I know we're worried about that 1st round pick but if this is the guy, the pick doesn't matter.

If Wentz is the guy, everything else will fall in place. Last night felt like the first time Reich opened things up a bit with Carson here. Same MO with Rivers and Luck. I'm expecting some big things moving forward. I think i'll go pick up Wentz in fantasy football :D

19 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Same conversation happening in Kansas City right now. Same exact conversation. Brett Veach is taking a beating for building a 'bad' defense. Oh, and guess the other parts of the conversation. (1) Andy Reid is getting slammed. Again Colts fans can relate (2) A growing segment of Chiefs fans are wondering about how/if/why Pat Mahomes wages are taking up so much of the salary room and not allowing them field a good defense. Again, Colts fans will know that narrative well.

Basically, all that to say, fans are insane. Chris Ballard has ONE job, figure out if Wentz is the one, and if he isnt then find the one. That's it, that's his job. Everything else is filler.

This post is absurd. The conversation about the Colts and Chiefs isn't similar at all. They were Super Bowl champs a year and a half ago and are now trying to transition into how to build a roster around the most highly paid player in the sport. The Colts are still trying to find a pot to pee in.

Also, it's not Ballard's only job to find a QB. It would be if he'd done his actual job, which is to find talent at premium positions. Maybe Wentz will work out, but the secondary still stinks, the pass rush isn't good enough and yes, the receivers looked good yesterday, but that's still not a proven group.

Just now, Les Poulains said:

This post is absurd. The conversation about the Colts and Chiefs isn't similar at all. They were Super Bowl champs a year and a half ago now trying to figure out how to build a roster around the most highly paid player in the sport. The Colts are still trying to find a pot to * in.

Also, it's not Ballard's only job to find a QB. It would be if he'd done his actual job, which is to find talent at premium positions. Maybe Wentz will work out, but the secondary still stinks, the pass rush isn't good enough and yes, the receivers looked good yesterday, but that's still not a proven group.

It's fans whinging and moaning without looking at the full context. It's not that dissimilar. They were SB champs, they have a star QB and a super coach, plus a GM who made tough calls that got them to where they are YET the whinging is amazing to see.

The Colts are searching...yes. The Colts dont know that they have a QB yet. 

As far as the rest of it, finding premium talent, etc. Fact is - His hit rate isnt any worse than the other 31 GMs, if anything it might be marginally better. Drafting isn't easy. You're complaining about pass rush, secondary AND receiving corp, and believe me i've been there complaining about them too, but in what world are you going to hit on all of them? When have the Colts ever done that, even in the days of Peyton...the QB is the main thing because that will mask everything else. If he fails to get that position right then he's a bad GM, if he gets it nailed on, he'll go in the hall. No middle ground :D 

9 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

I still don't know for sure. I think he has a few things to clean up but this season is about finding that out. I know we're worried about that 1st round pick but if this is the guy, the pick doesn't matter.

If Wentz is the guy, everything else will fall in place. Last night felt like the first time Reich opened things up a bit with Carson here. Same MO with Rivers and Luck. I'm expecting some big things moving forward. I think i'll go pick up Wentz in fantasy football :D

Already did, but Wilson was my QB and he hurt!

2 hours ago, IndyEric07 said:

As a season ticket holder, the rest of this season is gonna suck going to home games if nothing is changed! Our tailgates have become the best part of the day! Its actually been like that for the last few years! Oh well!

I'm not so sure.  The team could still win 10 of the remaining games, looking at the schedule.  

14 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

It's fans whinging and moaning without looking at the full context. It's not that dissimilar. They were SB champs, they have a star QB and a super coach, plus a GM who made tough calls that got them to where they are YET the whinging is amazing to see.

The Colts are searching...yes. The Colts dont know that they have a QB yet. 

As far as the rest of it, finding premium talent, etc. Fact is - His hit rate isnt any worse than the other 31 GMs, if anything it might be marginally better. Drafting isn't easy. You're complaining about pass rush, secondary AND receiving corp, and believe me i've been there complaining about them too, but in what world are you going to hit on all of them? When have the Colts ever done that, even in the days of Peyton...the QB is the main thing because that will mask everything else. If he fails to get that position right then he's a bad GM, if he gets it nailed on, he'll go in the hall. No middle ground :D 

Of course there's a middle ground and that's precisely where Ballard stands; he's a bang average GM that generally gets treated as if he's some genius. And he's just been extended when he has a losing record, context or not, so not only do fans generally think he's great, so does the organization. So this "fans are whinging and moaning" thing is simply not accurate in the grand scheme. I'd say people are plenty fair with Ballard, probably too fair. Same with Reich for that matter.

Also, I never said he had to hit on all the edge, corners and wideouts but what would be great, almost 5 years into his tenure, would be for him to actually adequately address those positions when they're weak, don't you think? We did almost nothing at corner and wideout this offseason and like it or not, people aren't gonna be as patient with our young edge players when none of Ballard's old draft picks at that position have really done great. 

Finally, I can't speak for Chiefs fans, but winning and having hall of fame level talent on the roster raises expectations, that's how this stuff works. I'd be asking questions as well if I were a fan of them, but we're not in the same universe as them, really.

Tough loss for sure but the good news is we have found our franchise quarterback for the long term.  He keeps getting better every week and last night was a great performance in a Monday night game on the road.  Well worth a first rd pick.  There were a lot of great performances from a lot go our players last night: Blackmon, Lewis, Pryor, Moe, Taylor, Pittman to name a few.  But QB is the big one.  He really seems to be getting back into form.  The worst part of our schedule is over.  We are where many thought we would be.  Now we move forward one game at a time.  Don't give up.  We are about to get our first line players back soon.  I have a feeling we are going to make an exciting run to close the season.  Go Colts! 

Just now, richard pallo said:

Tough loss for sure but the good news is we have found our franchise quarterback for the long term.  He keeps getting better every week and last night was a great performance in a Monday night game on the road.  Well worth a first rd pick.  There were a lot of great performances from a lot go our players last night: Blackmon, Lewis, Pryor, Moe, Taylor, Pittman to name a few.  But QB is the big one.  He really seems to be getting back into form.  The worst part of our schedule is over.  We are where many thought we would be.  Now we move forward one game at a time.  Don't give up.  We are about to get our first line players back soon.  I have a feeling we are going to make an exciting run to close the season.  Go Colts! 

I’d add a second big one.  That was the best the oline has looked this season.  If those two things come together the offense is going to be just fine.

53 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Same conversation happening in Kansas City right now. Same exact conversation. Brett Veach is taking a beating for building a 'bad' defense. Oh, and guess the other parts of the conversation. (1) Andy Reid is getting slammed. Again Colts fans can relate (2) A growing segment of Chiefs fans are wondering about how/if/why Pat Mahomes wages are taking up so much of the salary room and not allowing them field a good defense. Again, Colts fans will know that narrative well.

Basically, all that to say, fans are insane. Chris Ballard has ONE job, figure out if Wentz is the one, and if he isnt then find the one. That's it, that's his job. Everything else is filler.

KC's defense is on pace to be historically bad the fans have a right to be upset over there, like wise here, that secondary play last night was bush league. Injuries are only an excuse to an extent. Were not winning many more games if thats how we play when 2 corners go down. Yes Qb is the most important part but no its not everything.

5 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

KC's defense is on pace to be historically bad the fans have a right to be upset over there, like wise here, that secondary play last night was bush league. Injuries are only an excuse to an extent. Were not winning many more games if thats how we play when 2 corners go down. Yes Qb is the most important part but no its not everything.

Injuries could be a excuse if this was a close game. But you can’t use them when you blow a 19 point lead.

15 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’d add a second big one.  That was the best the oline has looked this season.  If those two things come together the offense is going to be just fine.

Did Pryor play the entire game? If so he looked really good.

Two more thoughts. Why does it take Frank Reich all of this time and another crushing loss for him to realize you can't take your foot off the gas in these types of games? Also, the trick play that we tried when the Ravens were reeling was absurd. We had them on the ropes and instead of pounding the run for a knockout and burning the clock, we instead are forced to throw the ball away and stop the clock. We danced around the ring instead of delivering the final punch. 

54 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

We aren’t a 3-4. We are a 4-3. That is just wrong.

Yes, Eberflus did call some zone blitz schemes last night.  Where you line up like 7 guys, and then rush 4 or 5, but you don't know which ones are coming.  I did see one play where Turay dropped back into short zone coverage, while someone else (LB or S) blitzed.

6 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Yes, Eberflus did call some zone blitz schemes last night.  Where you line up like 7 guys, and then rush 4 or 5, but you don't know which ones are coming.  I did see one play where Turay dropped back into short zone coverage, while someone else (LB or S) blitzed.

Turay is a pass rusher. Why he is doing that is beyond me.

We have practised explicitly to beat the Ravens this offseason. 

The Ravens have 12 (!!) guys on IR plus the usual weekly injuries. 

… And we STILL couldn’t win. 

If there ever was a game we SHOULD have won this season it would be this one…

The defense is trash. Not nearly enough pressure for the scheme we want to play. The secondary is atrocious. We gave up career days for an avg. QB and an admittedly good TE. And then there’s Eberflus’ playcalling… I’d be surprised if he isn’t gone after this season. 

I think the offense did alright tonight. Their best outing so far in my opinion. Pittman showed up strong and Taylor is a stud. Wentz is the best part of this team right now. Don’t really know how I feel about that yet. 

Im honestly done with Reich and eberflus:

on Reich:  he’s not the sole reason why we lost this game but he’s apart of it.  As a head coach, you cannot continue to be apart of the reason why the team is not successful.  Week after week we are on this board speaking on points that Reich left on the field.  And the common theme since he’s been here is that we cannot play 4 quarters of football.  Carson said it best, we have to finish games.  We played 2 quarters of football and then decided to play the last 2 quarters on pilot

mode.  You’ll lose every time.

eberflus: his scheme is just not working.  I don’t care about injuries, the result is the same every year no matter who we have for personnel.  We continue to let qbs feast and catch back up.  It’s a reason why qbs tend to have good games against us.  

once again, there are other reasons that contribute to the loss but those happened in action.  The choices made at the top did us in.   

42 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

Im honestly done with Reich and eberflus:

on Reich:  he’s not the sole reason why we lost this game but he’s apart of it.  As a head coach, you cannot continue to be apart of the reason why the team is not successful.  Week after week we are on this board speaking on points that Reich left on the field.  And the common theme since he’s been here is that we cannot play 4 quarters of football.  Carson said it best, we have to finish games.  We played 2 quarters of football and then decided to play the last 2 quarters on pilot

mode.  You’ll lose every time.

eberflus: his scheme is just not working.  I don’t care about injuries, the result is the same every year no matter who we have for personnel.  We continue to let qbs feast and catch back up.  It’s a reason why qbs tend to have good games against us.  

once again, there are other reasons that contribute to the loss but those happened in action.  The choices made at the top did us in.   

Not exactly... Did you miss the third qtr?

1 hour ago, Les Poulains said:

Of course there's a middle ground and that's precisely where Ballard stands; he's a bang average GM that generally gets treated as if he's some genius. And he's just been extended when he has a losing record, context or not, so not only do fans generally think he's great, so does the organization. So this "fans are whinging and moaning" thing is simply not accurate in the grand scheme. I'd say people are plenty fair with Ballard, probably too fair. Same with Reich for that matter.

Also, I never said he had to hit on all the edge, corners and wideouts but what would be great, almost 5 years into his tenure, would be for him to actually adequately address those positions when they're weak, don't you think? We did almost nothing at corner and wideout this offseason and like it or not, people aren't gonna be as patient with our young edge players when none of Ballard's old draft picks at that position have really done great. 

Finally, I can't speak for Chiefs fans, but winning and having hall of fame level talent on the roster raises expectations, that's how this stuff works. I'd be asking questions as well if I were a fan of them, but we're not in the same universe as them, really.

Sure, some treat him like he's a genius, others treat him like he's a fraud. Also, all the things you're speaking of, i've talked about as well. 

I'm just highlighting the fact that identifying a HoF GM isnt straight forward, and he isnt automatically garbage because he has misses. Sometimes i think we (fans) speak as if there are a legion of other GM candidates or coaching candidates who are moonwalkers performing magic everyday, and that just isnt the case.

1) Wentz and the offence played a great game 

2)Pryor and Reed are playing well

3) On the blocked field goal which cost us a win Glow was too low on the block. (Just a terrible play by Glow at a crucial time)

4)Frank should have kicked the extra point instead of going for 2. That extra point would have won the game

5) Defense was totally gassed in the 4th quarter and it was obvious by the effort

6)Oke is just not good and did not get enough from Buckner, Turay and Banogu

7)We need a no. 1 WR and a shut down corner bad!

8)Before the blocked field goal Frank should have faked a run up the middle and passed on third down. The ravens were stacking the line against the run

9)Ballards second round misses are killing this team. Misses like Quincy Wilson, Hooker, Banogu, Turay, Campbell, Lewis and Rock!

1 minute ago, BigO said:

1) Wentz and the offence played a great game 

2)Pryor and Reed are playing well

3) On the blocked field goal which cost us a win Glow was too low on the block. (Just a terrible play by Glow at a crucial time)

4)Frank should have kicked the extra point instead of going for 2. That extra point would have won the game

5) Defense was totally gassed in the 4th quarter and it was obvious by the effort

6)Oke is just not good and did not get enough from Buckner, Turay and Banogu

7)We need a no. 1 WR and a shut down corner bad!

8)Before the blocked field goal Frank should have faked a run up the middle and passed on third down. The ravens were stacking the line against the run

9)Ballards second round misses are killing this team. Misses like Quincy Wilson, Hooker, Banogu, Turay, Campbell, Lewis and Rock!

I am leading towards it being the coaching then missing on the players.

28 minutes ago, SchlicterSZN said:

I mean.... What do you expect when all you have left are two guys from a key and Peele east/west game skit.

Except the guy that kept killing them was the tight end which was largely covered by linebackers who were the starters and ends dropping into coverage.

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

As much as this loss hurt, one thing I'm sure of is we have our QB. Wentz was absolutely incredible and imo outplayed Lamar if it wasn't for all the injuries to our corners. 

I hope he is the guy but i'm not fully sold yet. His reading of the defense, and some of the throwing issues (he has a tendency to miss high) still need to be cleaned up....but i can see him being the guy, i can see a place where he is everything Frank Reich has envisioned.

Archived