Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Colts at Baltimore Postgame Thoughts

EastStreet

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

This is pretty spot on.

Felt the same last night (and said so last night), and there's even an article written today saying the same thing.... 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/10/12/22721979/knee-jerk-reactions-colts-blow-16-point-fourth-quarter-lead-to-lose-in-baltimore

I'm glad they mentioned the broadcasting, because during the game I had the same issues with how everything Baltimore did was amazing and the colts were just there. I thought I was just being a homer though.

21 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Eberflus said today he was taught  simple is best as long as you are fundamentally sound. I think that sums it up why we are so bad. 

Except his scheme isn't really "simple". Maybe simple for opposing QBs to throw short....

He varies coverages a lot, IIRC near the top of the league. And the rip/liz concepts he blends in means a lot of decision making and handoffs every play. That's not all that simple IMO.

12 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U see this is where it is hard for Frank. He usually goes for the jugular and goes for it and fans and media go after him. Now he plays conservative for the supposed easy field goal and gets crucified. If he would have been more aggressive and Wentz gets sacked taking us put of field goal range or an int, he would have been crucified. I had no problem with the  call

My problem isn't kicking the FG its kicking the FG with an injured kicker. Frank repeats mistakes and he repeated FG attempts with an injured kicker. It's mind boggling how he doesn't play to the circumstances of the game. 

One of the few times he finally goes for a FG is when his kicker is injured. 

12 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

When I was at that game, I was thinking about Irsay in that sky box. I told my friends, this is going to kill him after the Ravens won, because he always wants to beat Baltimore so bad. They didn’t agree, but this about proves it. 
I still don’t get the two Lombardis deal. Win another one first, they are hard enough to win under any circumstances. 
Secondly, you have to take some responsibility as an owner for only getting the one Super Bowl during the Manning era. If you want to take credit for drafts , winning , etc., the other aspects need to be evaluated also. The defense just wasn’t up to par to get more Championships in the Manning era . We had the same thing on the Ravens side where we couldn’t put up a better offense to compliment a championship defense. It cost us both against NE from winning more Super Bowls. Biscotti and Newsome have to take some responsibility also. 
Hiring Grigson and Pagano, and not protecting Luck, also didn’t help the ol’ trophy case either. 
If we don’t win, I wouldn’t mind you guys getting a Lombardi. If I were owner, don’t know if I’d be promising two with an unsettled QB situation. Who knows, maybe Jimbo is a prognosticator like Joe Willy Namath. I guess there is always a chance. 

22 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I am laughing so hard at the for the colture boys trying to defend Eberflus.

Of course. He’s their buddy. They still think people “love Banogu”. No, we’re sick and damn tired of using second round picks on guys and having to wonder where in the hell they’re at because they don’t play, and, in the case of Banogu, haven’t been good when they have

Those two can’t help but not see the forest for all those trees in the way more often than not. 

3 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Simms mentions that there is no defender on the TV screen when BAL throws the dump offs.  Well, we have seven players not rushing, and the Ravens only had three receivers.  The LBers are supposed to be close to the dump offs.  They are not playing the deep ball.  The LBers should be there, and I doubt that Flus told them to drop back deep so far they are out of the picture.

17 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Eberflus said today he was taught  simple is best as long as you are fundamentally sound. I think that sums it up why we are so bad. 

His defense isnt that simple. This season, he's varied his looks as much as any other DC in the league. 

The fundamentals are not there, he's right. 

Forget the unit as a whole, and look at the pieces....outside of Rock, how many individuals have done anything on that defense this year? Blackmon woke up in the last game before getting hurt, who else? Maybe Paye. The big names have not done diddly poo. Before we crap on the defense, lets look at the players, they need to stand up.

5 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

His defense isnt that simple. This season, he's varied his looks as much as any other DC in the league. 

The fundamentals are not there, he's right. 

Forget the unit as a whole, and look at the pieces....outside of Rock, how many individuals have done anything on that defense this year? Blackmon woke up in the last game before getting hurt, who else? Maybe Paye. The big names have not done diddly poo. Before we crap on the defense, lets look at the players, they need to stand up.

Varying looks doesn’t mean much. Is he showing certain coverages then changing  after the snap. It’s about confusing the QB.

20 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Varying looks doesn’t mean much. Is he showing certain coverages then changing  after the snap. It’s about confusing the QB.

I think he meant using a variety of schemes, which Eberflus does alot. to reference last year we used cover 3 the most and only used it 28% of the time, and we don't rank in the top 15 in usage rate for any coverage except for quarter-quarter-half.

3 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I think he meant using a variety of schemes, which Eberflus does alot. to reference last year we used cover 3 the most and only used it 28% of the time, and we don't rank in the top 15 in usage rate for any coverage except for quarter-quarter-half.

Right but that doesn’t mean it’s complicated. It still can be simple. If you don’t change after the snap it’s easy on the quarterbacks. It’s all about after the snap. Need to do a better job disguising what we are doing.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

Right but that doesn’t mean it’s complicated. It still can be simple. If you don’t change after the snap it’s easy on the quarterbacks. It’s all about after the snap.

It does make it more complicated, because you're never gonna have a bread and butter coverage since you have to practice all of them and in today's NFL you don't get a lot of practice. Then when you add in switching coverages a lot throughout a game you are more likely to have blown coverages from confusion on the defense especially when you have backups in who aren't completely familiar with the playbook. Now when you look at each individual player they have to be smart because they have to know all of their responsibilities in each scheme, not to mention how the offense effects your role and responsibilities. Basically you have to memorize and be able to synthesize alot of stuff.

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

It does make it more complicated, because you're never gonna have a bread and butter coverage since you have to practice all of them and in today's NFL you don't get a lot of practice. Then when you add in switching coverages a lot throughout a game you are more likely to have blown coverages from confusion on the defense especially when you have backups in who aren't completely familiar with the playbook. Now when you look at each individual player they have to be smart because they have to know all of their responsibilities in each scheme, not to mention how the offense effects your role and responsibilities. Basically you have to memorize and be able to synthesize alot of stuff.

But when you have a elite QB they can easily identify what coverage you are in and can beat it. We need to do a better job disguising the coverage. 

One thing Eberflus mentioned that I didn’t think about was how they were short two dline guys in Rochelle and paye. They probably weren’t able to substitute as much as they wanted to and we were gassed at the end.

9 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Right but that doesn’t mean it’s complicated. It still can be simple. If you don’t change after the snap it’s easy on the quarterbacks. It’s all about after the snap. Need to do a better job disguising what we are doing.

It makes things far more complicated as @Zoltan said. However, if your players are not reacting as fast because they're not processing things fast, or are not performing as should then yes, your defense looks like it's simple and has blown coverages left and right.

We can't say his defense is too simplistic then when provided with facts that he varies his looks, you pivot and say he doesn't change post-snap. When the numbers show he does, then what?

For me, the players need to play better, period. The three big dawgs are Leonard, Buckner, and Moore, and none of them have shown anything this year. We don't love the defense, sure....but when last have we loved a Colts defense, and i ask...which defense is it that people actually love? No one is fielding the 85 Bears.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

But when you have a elite QB they can easily identify what coverage you are in and can beat it. We need to do a better job disguising the coverage. 

One thing Eberflus mentioned that I didn’t think about was how they were short two dline guys in Rochelle and paye. They probably weren’t able to substitute as much as they wanted to and we were gassed at the end.

Not necessarily true look at Seattle they have always had a decent defense and they have been top 5 for cover 3 usage since Pete Carroll took over, and use blitz and cover 1 on third downs. It's kind of variety vs Mastery, sure we use a lot of different looks but we aren't masters at any of them. While Carroll has used the approach we are gonna Master Cover 3 and because of that we won't make mistakes in coverage and everyone knows their roles.

9 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

It makes things far more complicated as @Zoltan said. However, if your players are not reacting as fast because they're not processing things fast, or are not performing as should then yes, your defense looks like it's simple and has blown coverages left and right.

We can't say his defense is too simplistic then when provided with facts that he varies his looks, you pivot and say he doesn't change post-snap. When the numbers show he does, then what?

For me, the players need to play better, period. The three big dawgs are Leonard, Buckner, and Moore, and none of them have shown anything this year. We don't love the defense, sure....but when last have we loved a Colts defense, and i ask...which defense is it that people actually love? No one is fielding the 85 Bears.

I am standing by what I said. A elite QB is going to recognize the coverage presnap every time and be able to beat it. It’s how do you make a coverage look presnap but do something different after the snap. Changing a coverage from snap to snap is not complicated. 

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I am standing by what I said. A elite QB is going to recognize the coverage presnap every time and be able to beat it. It’s how do you make a coverage look presnap but do something different after the snap. Changing a coverage from snap to snap is not complicated. 

Elite QBs beat almost every coverage. That's why when you have games like Tampa v KC in the SB, or Brady v Belichick from two weeks back, they stand out big time. Those performances are not the norm in the league today. They require serious scheming, and more importantly, they require big time talent producing at their peak. 

You know that defense is merely a speed bump in today's league. I know you know that.

I'm frustrated with the trend over the years but we've not had a pass rush at all. Last year 99 was the leading pass rusher.....and he's not done anything this year in the pass game. The stars on this defense are playing like league average players, while the others are doing even worse. Outside of Rock Ya Sin who probably took all that cussing and bad vibes personally and has morphed into Marlin Jackson. No one on defense is showing at all, i am not going to knock scheme when that's the case. If anything, maybe the scheme should get even more simple....that's what Dungy did very time his defense started teetering on the brink.

4 hours ago, masterlock said:

The biggest problem, IMO, is the lack of pass rush. The Tampa-2 hybrid that Eberflus is using just doesn't work without a dominant pass rush. I know the Colts have played some good quarterbacks this year, but according to this source, they're dead-last in NFL Team Opponent Average Team Passer Rating at 124.9. That pretty much says it all.

go watch some of lamars throws the endzone one i counted ten seconds he had a perfect clean pocket .   its impossible to cover wrs that long .  every one is gassing up lamar now when he had ten seconds to throw and he is starring down wrs .  buckner had his worst game and gave up on plays standing there one on one no double team . it was embarrassing .

7 hours ago, masterlock said:

The biggest problem, IMO, is the lack of pass rush. The Tampa-2 hybrid that Eberflus is using just doesn't work without a dominant pass rush. I know the Colts have played some good quarterbacks this year, but according to this source, they're dead-last in NFL Team Opponent Average Team Passer Rating at 124.9. That pretty much says it all.

We're playing more C3 than anything else as a base. And C6 (quarter/quarter/half) on 3rd. We do mix in C2 though.

But I do agree we rely too much on pressure from a non-blitzing vanilla 4 man front.

3 hours ago, coming on strong said:

go watch some of lamars throws the endzone one i counted ten seconds he had a perfect clean pocket .   its impossible to cover wrs that long .  every one is gassing up lamar now when he had ten seconds to throw and he is starring down wrs .  buckner had his worst game and gave up on plays standing there one on one no double team . it was embarrassing .

I can’t remember if I posted this here or not but being  down two dline men really hurt the rotation. Everyone was gassed. Yesterday Eberflus mentioned this and I was like that does kind of make sense. I hate putting pressure on the offense but on a couple of those drives they needed to use more clock to give the defense more of a breather if they weren’t going to try and score.

21 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We're playing more C3 than anything else as a base. And C6 (quarter/quarter/half) on 3rd. We do mix in C2 though.

But I do agree we rely too much on pressure from a non-blitzing vanilla 4 man front.

I don’t pay close attention to the little things but is the dline using any kind of stunts or anything or just vanilla one on one stuff?

13 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I don’t pay close attention to the little things but is the dline using any kind of stunts or anything or just vanilla one on one stuff?

I don't notice too much stunting. Defo has only been moved around a few times too. 

And it's not really one on one. It's our 4 vs their 5 OL, or more if they keep a TE or RB in.

That's one reason why I'm critical of Flus's D in this area. I don't want to necessarily be a top 5 blitzing team, I just don't want to be a bottom 5 one either. We let OLs just get too comfortable knowing we're not going to do anything out of the ordinary.

Archived