Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

I’d be in on Tyrod Taylor if he doesn’t land a starting job somewhere.

 

Mobile, could be used in certain packages.

I agree about Tyrod. He appears to be a good luck charm when it comes to franchise qbs lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

I’d be in on Tyrod Taylor if he doesn’t land a starting job somewhere.

 

Mobile, could be used in certain packages.

I never liked “package” or gimmicky QBs.  JB on 4th & 1 was fine, but i think it affects the flow.

  I like Tyrod, but i think it makes more sense to have a backup with similar style to the starter.  If thats Tyrod, then fine.  But no “special play” QB that will just give Reich too many distractions.  He gets a little off-track as it is at times.

  We have a solid team, no reason for packages or trick plays.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

given Wentz's injury history, I'd be more comfortable w/ the idea of "Eason = backup QB" if the Colts had a 3rd, inexpensive vet QB on the bench as well

 

Hoyer's a free agent FWIW...dunno if Reich and Ballard want to go in that direction again or not. IIRC Colt McCoy's a free agent too.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate the idea of a 3rd QB. It’s such a waste of a roster spot. Bring in either a vet QB and/or another young QB with arm talent to compete with Eason in training camp. If Eason holds his own, keep him as the back up. 
 

I do agree the backup spot is probably more important this year than in years past. If Wentz sucks it up the first half of the year then he gets pulled to save our 1st round pick next year. Or if he goes down with an injury which is not an unlikely scenario given his history. 
 

If Eason is as talented as Ballard thinks - at least from a backup QB standpoint -burying him in the depth chart and not giving him reps isn’t going to help his development.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I hope it's Eason.    I hope with the start of the new year we are testing him in zoom meetings on what he knows and doesn't know.   How much has he learned.   Can he audible audible out of a bad play and into a good one depending on what the defense shows?     We have to learn this ASAP.

 

Otherwise, if it's not JE,  then I'm interested in all of the usual suspects, including Brissett.   Or Fitzpatrick, or Smith,  or Taylor.   All the usual suspects.    Well...   my exception would be Hoyer.   I think we don't want to go there again.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Its probably going to be JB.  The FO keeps saying what a great "locker room guy" he is.  Whatever that means.

 

If we're in a playoff hunt, a bye week hunt, and one game matters, I don't think the FO will want to put that game into the hands of JE.

 

Ballard has not changed his comments about JB or Eason in about a year.  If the tone of the comments change with the acquisition of Wentz, then we'll have more clarity.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't imagine the Colts signing Hoyer after he was benched for an injured Brissett in the middle of a game and then subsequently released. I'd take Brissett if he'd want to come back. Fitzpatrick would be another good option.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its probably going to be JB.  The FO keeps saying what a great "locker room guy" he is.  Whatever that means.

 

If we're in a playoff hunt, a bye week hunt, and one game matters, I don't think the FO will want to put that game into the hands of JE.

 

Ballard has not changed his comments about JB or Eason in about a year.  If the tone of the comments change with the acquisition of Wentz, then we'll have more clarity.

I have to agree.  We are a SB contender now just like last year.  I don't Ballard will put the team in the hands of a 4th rd rookie if Wentz should go down.  I think JB is the clear front runner unless he signs elsewhere.  Have to hope they keep the rosters big enough so we can carry three QB's. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its probably going to be JB.  The FO keeps saying what a great "locker room guy" he is.  Whatever that means.

 

If we're in a playoff hunt, a bye week hunt, and one game matters, I don't think the FO will want to put that game into the hands of JE.

 

Ballard has not changed his comments about JB or Eason in about a year.  If the tone of the comments change with the acquisition of Wentz, then we'll have more clarity.

brissett is the best choice

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think we will know until after training camp.  If Eason’s performance is iffy, CB will shop the waiver wire or free agents.  If he were to sign someone right now, any confidence Eason may have would go in the crapper....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

I never liked “package” or gimmicky QBs.  JB on 4th & 1 was fine, but i think it affects the flow.

  I like Tyrod, but i think it makes more sense to have a backup with similar style to the starter.  If thats Tyrod, then fine.  But no “special play” QB that will just give Reich too many distractions.  He gets a little off-track as it is at times.

  We have a solid team, no reason for packages or trick plays.

I enjoyed JB coming in on 3rd and 4th and short, it was entertaining but most importantly it worked 90% of the time. We had a complete team last year and was good but not good enough to make a deep run. We had 2 or 3 crucial mistakes at Buffalo that cost us unfortunately. Can't do that against very good or great teams.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

I can't imagine the Colts signing Hoyer after he was benched for an injured Brissett in the middle of a game and then subsequently released. I'd take Brissett if he'd want to come back. Fitzpatrick would be another good option.

think Wentz might be looking over his shoulder at Fitz....need someone who's not a "threat"

 

McCoy? old enough, and cheap enough, to not be a threat

 

or just go rogue and say "Wentz and Eason or bust, baby!"?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

think Wentz might be looking over his shoulder at Fitz....need someone who's not a "threat"

 

McCoy? old enough, and cheap enough, to not be a threat

 

or just go rogue and say "Wentz and Eason or bust, baby!"?

McCoy might work

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I enjoyed JB coming in on 3rd and 4th and short, it was entertaining but most importantly it worked 90% of the time. We had a complete team last year and was good but not good enough to make a deep run. We had 2 or 3 crucial mistakes at Buffalo that cost us unfortunately. Can't do that against very good or great teams.

Agree with 3rd or 4th and ONE.  But we saw what happened when JB ran plays when we needed 2 or more yards...... nothin.  I like JB ..... alot.... i even think he can still be a starter with development.  I just think this team deserves more production at the position....... NOW.

 

  I’m not sure what i think of Wentz.  He didnt excite me All that much when he was drafted, and he has a “different” personality.  I was never crazy about some of Luck’s personality traits either.  Not as people, as I see or like a QB to act.  Not saying i’m right, just my taste. I like a PM, Brady in your face type.

  However, I’ve seen really good things from Wentz in past (i’m in Pa), he certainly has the tools, and i’ll wait and see if Reich can get him to be the guy we need.  I think they did a good job with Rivers tools, so i’m optimistic.

  As a backup, i’m ok with JB (less $), or Eason. I dont see JB making Carson nervous.  However, a surprise vet at a good deal that can mesh, mentor, or coddle Wentz could work too.

  It will be interesting to see if JB gets any interest around the league.  I expect not as a starter, so he may be back on a sweet deal.

  Wonder if Ballard called Belichek about a trade for JB?  Who’s their LT?  Haha

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Eason.

 

If they don't think he can handle back up duties after camp, cut him, and go get one of a billion guys that will still be looking for a job. There's a glut in the market, so I assume we'll have several QBs at camp.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jacoby Brissett is a free agent, and I can't imagine him willingly re-signing here to back up Carson Wentz. This could be the last NFL contract he signs, and I think he'll go somewhere where he has a good chance to start, unless there's  just no interest in him leaguewide or he's backing up one of the NFL's better quarterbacks like Brady, Rodgers, Wilson or Jackson.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It would make the most sense to roll with Eason bc of his low salary.  We need to go all in on signing our own players to extensions and adding FA’s that can help us make a playoff push.  If Wentz goes down we are screwed anyways. Yeah I get his former backup won a SB but that is the perfect example of the exception.  I would rather sign another CB than a higher profile backup.  Eason needs to do his job and make the next step.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I hope it is Jacob Eason.  Because if we sign another veteran to be the backup, that likely means Eason is toast.  I doubt they would keep 3 QBs on the active roster for another year.  Eason would be picked up if he were on practice squad.  I predict a low level veteran is signed and Eason beats him out.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...