Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Backup QB?

cdgacoltsfan

1 hour ago, Lancer1 said:

Jacoby Brissett is a free agent, and I can't imagine him willingly re-signing here to back up Carson Wentz. This could be the last NFL contract he signs, and I think he'll go somewhere where he has a good chance to start, unless there's  just no interest in him leaguewide or he's backing up one of the NFL's better quarterbacks like Brady, Rodgers, Wilson or Jackson.

The thing is, I just can't think of a place he'll be brought in a given the opportunity to compete for QB1. Where are you thinking.

I doubt this is his last contract. He's a good backup guy. Those guys can last in the league.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now, this is another reason why my offseason strategy for this team has been a bit conservative, aside from offering up a kings ransom for Watson. I like that some folks here see the value of Yannick Ngakoue. But I would only consider that if you had to go with JB this year. Ironically he and Prescott are the two most expensive UFAs on the market and outside of that there really isn't much meat on the bone. I think JB can still perform but not at that price point. This might sound a little insane but when Colt McCoy had to fill in for Jones in NY this year he really didn't look bad, especially considering what he had to work with in NY.

That said they did also sign Morton to a futures contract. It might not be a bad idea to sign a clipboard veteran to help out with coaching Wentz. Sad to say but there is at least a bit of logic behind the suggestion. You could probably land him for a couple million and have some veteran presence in the QB room. McCoy wont be a guy who will want to steal his job, but he can still play and is a good XO guy.

16 minutes ago, JoeThornburg said:

McCoy wont be a guy who will want to steal his job, but he can still play and is a good XO guy.

I agree. As you wrote, he is a good clipboard guy to support Wentz and come in the game if needed. But he is not a threat to be the starter. 

Btw, welcome to the forum!

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I agree. As you wrote, he is a good clipboard guy to support Wentz and come in the game if needed. But he is not a threat to be the starter. 

Btw, welcome to the forum!

Thanks man. I'd upvote you but I'm still a rookie. That said the other part of that is I could understand why there were discussions about moving Nelson to T, IF somehow they landed Watson but I think that chatter came out late.

6 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Probably will have to carry 3 again next year too.

Agreed. If Eason had gotten in-game reps this may be a different story, but right now an extra arm is necessary. 

For a long time this franchise was blessed in a qb in Manning who, in addition to all other positives, made carrying a 3rd qb unnecessary. 

Yeah I'd give it a less than 5% chance that Eason is the backup.

He still hasn't played a preseason snap, and Wentz has an injury history (not to mention the fact he's coming off the awful '20 season).

Brissett is gone.  Less than 5% chance he's even back on the team.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him land in Philly with Sirianni as the backup to Hurts. 

6 hours ago, ColtV said:

Agreed. If Eason had gotten in-game reps this may be a different story, but right now an extra arm is necessary. 

For a long time this franchise was blessed in a qb in Manning who, in addition to all other positives, made carrying a 3rd qb unnecessary. 

I'm thinking 3 because of covid

I only get 5 posts a day right now so making them some good ones, lol

If I was the coaching staff I would want Jacoby Brissett back to help out Carson

- He knows the system well so if something happens and he needs to step in there is no confusion with the plays, set up etc. Not to mention he can use that knowledge to help Carson along the way during camp and in season with adjustments to the new system.

- He knows these recs and has had passing camps with many of them before and would take min effort to get on page with them if for any reason he needs to step in. 

- He is a simular style QB to Carson. Most Eagles fans think Jacoby is that run style QB but stats prove that completely wrong. He is a mobile QB and can buy time out of the pocket but he is a pass first QB and rarely takes off. Better to have two similar style QBs to make it easier on your coaching staff and the players around him esp the Oline. 

16 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Eason. They have to find out if the kid's got it... or not?

and the team must move on from Jacoby.

Why must the team move on from JB? He knows the system. He can play very well and he should be a starter somewhere. I think JB being the backup makes sense. If they go with Eason, I expect a Curtis Painter moment if Wentz gets injured as he usually does.

14 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

Why must the team move on from JB? He knows the system. He can play very well and he should be a starter somewhere. I think JB being the backup makes sense. If they go with Eason, I expect a Curtis Painter moment if Wentz gets injured as he usually does.

So...what you and others are saying - JB should be retained as the QB coach.

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

The thing is, I just can't think of a place he'll be brought in a given the opportunity to compete for QB1. Where are you thinking.

I doubt this is his last contract. He's a good backup guy. Those guys can last in the league.

You're right about Brissett sticking around the NFL for awhile if he's willing & competent as a backup - look how long Warren Moon played and guys like Testaverde, Cassell and even Fitzpatrick have always been able to find work. 

I think he probably goes somewhere with a shaky starter or a rookie to groom, giving him better odds of playing a lot. Philadelphia quickly comes to mind (and I'm sure Sirianni would love to have him as insurance) but unfortunately I could see Houston or Jacksonville kicking his tires as well.

29 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

JB (unrestricted FA) will certainly have to be paid accordingly.

Last season they drafted Eason, but because Jacoby was getting paid starter salary, Brissett was entrenched as the backup.

Eason was almost always "inactive" come gameday.

I believe, moving into 2021, with Wentz now the starter... 

if the team resigns Brissett, Eason would yet again, not get any chances to play... which in turn, could end up playing out, (much like Chad Kelly situation), where we never get to find out what Eason could do in a game?

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

JB (unrestricted FA) will certainly have to be paid accordingly.

Last season they drafted Eason, but because Jacoby was getting paid starter salary, Brissett was entrenched as the backup.

Eason was almost always "inactive" come gameday.

I believe, moving into 2021, with Wentz now the starter... 

if the team resigns Brissett, Eason would yet again, not get any chances to play... which in turn, could end up playing out, (much like Chad Kelly situation), where we never get to find out what Eason could do in a game?

If he could play all of that wouldn't be the case. If JB is not here, then they will get someone else to fill that roll. Eason is not going to the backup. Wentz is very injury prone an it could blow the whole season to have to play Eason for two or three games. He will have to wait or move on.

13 hours ago, ojsglove said:

Cam hasn't been a football player for several years, Fashionista.

Cam isn't washed up. He was rusty last year. I think he will have a great season for someone this year and it might be the Patriots. There is nothing wrong with his arm and nothing wrong with his legs. He came into camp very late. That was the biggest problem.

20 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

No, it just means that developmental QB was not ready to be the backup after one year. It means nothing else. If Wents plays well and stays health, there would no need for Eason.

yea i think exactly what you said, not ready to be a backup in year 2 probably means he is not going to develop to where they want him to be.

16 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

Jacoby Brissett is a free agent, and I can't imagine him willingly re-signing here to back up Carson Wentz. This could be the last NFL contract he signs, and I think he'll go somewhere where he has a good chance to start, unless there's  just no interest in him leaguewide or he's backing up one of the NFL's better quarterbacks like Brady, Rodgers, Wilson or Jackson.

Bingo!

57 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Can we all agree that if Eason does not end up being the backup that the Eason ship has pretty much sailed?

No, it still would not have begun.  I'm looking for a backup that can win us a game.  A meaningful game in a playoff hunt.  Like Hasselbeck could when we had Luck.  I'm not advocating that JB is that guy, but I think that's too early for Eason.  That's the kind of backup I think we need.  Winston, Fitz, Hoyer once upon a time.  A vet.  Not a 4th round pick who has yet to take an NFL snap.  That just seems unrealistic IMO. 

And that's not a knock against Eason, because one of the reasons he hasn't taken a snap is because we had to pay $15M for JB's "locker room presence."

16 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

Huh?    “Last NFL contract”?!?

I think JB is 27.   It’s highly unlikely JB is going to be offered a job as a starter, and even if he was, it would be a short “prove it” type of deal, 2-years.   He’d still be in his 20’s when that contract is over. 

It's just as likely he’ll sign a 1-2 year deal to be a backup wherever that is.   But, “last contract”?!?    He will likely sign 4-5 more contracts in his NFL career.   Maybe more. 

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

No, it still would not have begun.  I'm looking for a backup that can win us a game.  A meaningful game in a playoff hunt.  Like Hasselbeck could when we had Luck.  I'm not advocating that JB is that guy, but I think that's too early for Eason.  That's the kind of backup I think we need.  Winston, Fitz, Hoyer once upon a time.  A vet.  Not a 4th round pick who has yet to take an NFL snap.  That just seems unrealistic IMO. 

And that's not a knock against Eason, because one of the reasons he hasn't taken a snap is because we had to pay $15M for JB's "locker room presence."

The overvalue of Jacob Eason is crazy, how many 4th round quarterbacks have not dressed for 2 season then went on to have successful careers in the NFL. My geuss would be slim to none

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And that's not a knock against Eason, because one of the reason he hasn't taken a snap is because we had to pay $15M for JB's "locker room presence."

Ever hear of a guy named Brady? And he was a 6th rounder IIRC.

3 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

The overvalue of Jacob Eason is crazy, how many 4th round quarterbacks have not dressed for 2 season then went on to have successful careers in the NFL. My geuss would be slim to none

How many backups have been paid 15M to hog roster space only for the purpose of running QB sneaks and being a great locker room guy?  Last year doesn't count against Eason, IMO.

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Foles/ Hasselbeck area.  $3M-$4M/year.

Nick Foles is $6.6m this year.

I think it would be every bit of $6-$8m, that is about the going rate for "top" backups.

I asked this question, because couple that woth Wentz $25.4m and you are at $31-$33m in those 2.

Then you take that from our current $43m(ish) cap space and we will have only $35-$37m left to fill out a roster that still ahs major holes.

I don't think it is feasible to bring Brissett back. I know you are not advocating that, but since you answered my question, I out it in this response.

11 minutes ago, w87r said:

Valid question?

What does everyone think a realistic contract for JB would be to be our backup?

I think Doug has this nailed.   $3-4 mill as our backup. 

If the Wentz deal didn’t happen, and we considered JB as the starter,  I don’t think we would’ve offered more than $10m this time around.  Maybe a little more with incentives.   Of course, that’s now water under the bridge. 

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

Nick Foles is $6.6m this year.

I think it would be every bit of $6-$8m, that is about the going rate for "top" backups.

I asked this question, because couple that woth Wentz $25.4m and you are at $31-$33m in those 2.

Then you take that from our current $43m(ish) cap space and we will have only $35-$37m left to fill out a roster that still ahs major holes.

I don't think it is feasible to bring Brissett back. I know you are not advocating that, but since you answered my question, I out it in this response.

Two points...

I think the lower salary cap knocks that down some this year.    And I think Foles is better.  He was coming off his $22m per contract with J’Ville.   That helped him. 

Archived