Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Backup QB?

cdgacoltsfan

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think JB will be our backup QB for at least this season. I think he will find that no one sees him as a starter in the NFL. His best options in my opinion would be to either resign with us or to go back to the Patriots. I think in the end he will be back in Indy next season. I think he would be a great choice to be the back up as well. He is very familiar with the system and players and if the upcoming off season is affected by Covid protocols then it might be in the best interest of the Colts to bring him back at least for 1 more year.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Brissett ran 17 plays for 9 first downs and 3 TDs. 

I'd not call those stats gimmicky by no means. 

The goal line option that failed and those plays in the wildcard game.

I’m a firm believer that EVERY single play is important and that any 1 play can turn almost every game around.  EVERY play should be taken very seriously.

I realize the occasions were infrequent, but i would argue both affected thegames more than first inspection.

Like i said, i’m all for those 3rd or 4th and 1s.  However, some teams are able to surprise , and hit TDs on those same plays.

JB IMO isn't going be re-signed. He is arguably the best backup QB out there, there are a few other QB's that have an argument to being the best backup as well. He isn't going to take 4 or 5 mill for a year to stay, JMO. I think he explores his options and someone will take a chance on him and pay him over 10 Mill a year. It wouldn't shock me at all if he went to the Patriots and started for them for a while just to see if he can be productive back with the Pats. Eason probably needs to be the backup considering he will be in year 2, eventually we have to find out what the kid has.

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

JB IMO isn't going be re-signed. He is arguably the best backup QB out there, there are a few other QB's that have an argument to being the best backup as well. He isn't going to take 4 or 5 mill for a year to stay, JMO. I think he explores his options and someone will take a chance on him and pay him over 10 Mill a year. It wouldn't shock me at all if he went to the Patriots and started for them for a while just to see if he can be productive back with the Pats. Eason probably needs to be the backup considering he will be in year 2, eventually we have to find out what the kid has.

I think the Pats go draft (a guy like Jones or Trask) or even FA/trade with a guy like Fitzmagic or Trubisky. I just don't see the JB interest from them. IMO, they know him well, and will look for either a rook deal, or someone less limited. Perhaps both a rook and a guy like FItz. 

Give this a read when you time (QB FAs in general, and JB specific).

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-free-agency-top-100-free-agents

I agree on some of the notes on JB, but disagree he'll demand as much as they project.

Please, guys, quit torturing me with Jacoby Brissett.  I thought once the Wentz trade was announced, we could finally put JB talk to rest.  Why is the heck would he want to come back as a backup on a team that has replaced him 2 times?  And lets stop the "He is the best backup in the NFL".  Based on what? His winning record?  Get rid of the guy.  Give Eason a shot.

16 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

Please, guys, quit torturing me with Jacoby Brissett.  I thought once the Wentz trade was announced, we could finally put JB talk to rest.  Why is the heck would he want to come back as a backup on a team that has replaced him 2 times?  And lets stop the "He is the best backup in the NFL".  Based on what? His winning record?  Get rid of the guy.  Give Eason a shot.

Emotions aside, he's a good backup. 

I too hope Eason is the answer at backup though.

Personally, I'd go with Eason through camp and invite other QBs to camp to compete.

If Eason can't compete in camp though, I'd be OK with him being sent to the PS, and signing a guy like JB or other.

32 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think the Pats go draft (a guy like Jones or Trask) or even FA/trade with a guy like Fitzmagic or Trubisky. I just don't see the JB interest from them. IMO, they know him well, and will look for either a rook deal, or someone less limited. Perhaps both a rook and a guy like FItz. 

Give this a read when you time (QB FAs in general, and JB specific).

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-free-agency-top-100-free-agents

I agree on some of the notes on JB, but disagree he'll demand as much as they project.

I see that the article had a few QB's ahead of JB like Dalton, Cam, and Taylor. I am not sure that those 3 QB's are better than JB. Cam is a shell of himself and hasn't been good in a few years. I can see Fitz being ahead of JB. They have JB projected to make roughly 7 mill a year which could be pretty accurate. I think his top end would be 10 Mill a year for 2 years with a team. Some team may really take a chance on him?? We aren't paying him that though IMO.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I see that the article had a few QB's ahead of JB like Dalton, Cam, and Taylor. I am not sure that those 3 QB's are better than JB. Cam is a shell of himself and hasn't been good in a few years. I can see Fitz being ahead of JB. They have JB projected to make roughly 7 mill a year which could be pretty accurate. I think his top end would be 10 Mill a year for 2 years with a team. Some team may really take a chance on him?? We aren't paying him that though IMO.

I think a lot of it is debatable. On Cam specifically, he was on a pretty poor team in terms of surrounding cast. I really don't see JB doing any better TBH. Pats had a poor running game, and one of the worst WR groups in the league. Their OL got better as the year progressed, but still, just didn't have weapons. Take a look at the Pats stats and depth chart on O. It's just not good. And losing SM for half the season hurt too.

16 hours ago, poilucelt said:

this is basically why I brought up McCoy on the 1st page of this thread: he turns 35 in September (so he's no real threat to Wentz like Hurts apparently was) and his most recent contract paid him $2.25 Mil

The idea of a backup needing to not be a threat to Wentz is a false narrative. 

Hurts was drafted to be the future starter, not to be a backup.  The Eagles will make noise this draft about possibly taking a QB at 6, but that's just a deflection tactic designed to mask the reality that Hurts was drafted in the second round to actually be a starter.  Predetermined, for whatever reason.

That's not the same thing as brining in a backup QB for the purpose of being a backup.  

In the "threat" scenario, Eason is already a threat to Wentz because Eason was drafted in hopes of developing into a starter, and he could certainly ball out and do that, yet Wentz wanted to come here.

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The idea of a backup needing to not be a threat to Wentz is a false narrative. 

Hurts was drafted to be the future starter, not to be a backup.  The Eagles will make noise this draft about possibly taking a QB at 6, but that's just a deflection tactic designed to mask the reality that Hurts was drafted in the second round to actually be a starter.  Predetermined, for whatever reason.

That's not the same thing as brining in a backup QB for the purpose of being a backup.  

In the "threat" scenario, Eason is already a threat to Wentz because Eason was drafted in hopes of developing into a starter, and he could certainly ball out and do that, yet Wentz wanted to come here.

Why would they draft a future starter when Wentz just signed a new contract and is only 28?    

I like the idea of penciling in Eason for now.  If he doesn't actually earn the job in camp and pre season then bring in someone else.

Fitzpatrick would be my next choice, but he will probably be signed by then.  I wouldn't be opposed to Jacoby if he is still on the market.

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I see that the article had a few QB's ahead of JB like Dalton, Cam, and Taylor. I am not sure that those 3 QB's are better than JB. 

I am. 

JB is wildly overrated. I'm mystified at the "he's getting a raw deal" take. Dude has had two seasons of run. I know what I saw. I saw a guy who's not even kind of efficient as a passer and isn't overly mobile. 

With that said, I wouldn't be shocked if he's your Indianapolis Colts back up QB in 21'. Safe-ish option behind Wentz and isn't an unknown in Eason.

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Why would they draft a future starter when Wentz just signed a new contract and is only 28?    

If Roseman had a change in priorities. yes. 

Hurts could have well been drafted to simply give Wentz a push, but that's a pretty lofty draft pick to devote to something like a motivational tool.

Its a weird situation.  Best not to try to make sense out of it or try to use anything that happened in Philly as a means to influence a backup QB decision.  JMO.

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Hurts could have well been drafted to simply give Wentz a push, but that's a pretty lofty draft pick to devote to something like a motivational tool.

Its a weird situation.  Best not to try to make sense out of it or try to use anything that happened in Philly as a means to influence a backup QB decision.  JMO.

I'm positive Ballard won't be drafting a backup qb this season

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think it had more to do with the fact that Wentz never finished any season as starting QB without injury, starting with their SB winning year in 2017. 2018, Foles had to come in again for a playoff double doink Bears loss / Eagles win. 2019, injured again, and 2020, the Eagles had to cover themselves after letting go of Foles without picking up his option. That was my understanding of the reasoning behind the drafting of Hurts.

Just like the Redskins, in the very same draft, after picking RG3, picked Kirk Cousins, probably because of RG3's playing style that they suspected might get him hurt and it did. Teams just have to cover themselves based on history. If the Colts drafted (say) Watson after moving up in the 2017 draft when they weren't sure if Luck was going to play, when they had pick No.15 that they used on Malik Hooker, I would have been fine with that. They would have been covering themselves at that point in time, IMO.

However, it was Ballard's first year, Pagano's lame duck season, and not much was going to be done to rock the boat or change the status quo, IMO. Luck's uncertainty actually hurt us both in 2017 and 2019 and at least now, we have clarity before training camp starts. I would still not mind if they brought in a veteran like Alex Smith or Ryan Fitzpatrick or Mike Glennon as a backup if they think Eason is still not there to play backup in a pinch.

25 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I think it had more to do with the fact that Wentz never finished any season as starting QB without injury, starting with their SB winning year in 2017. 2018, Foles had to come in again for a playoff double doink Bears loss / Eagles win. 2019, injured again, and 2020, the Eagles had to cover themselves after letting go of Foles without picking up his option. That was my understanding of the reasoning behind the drafting of Hurts.

Just like the Redskins, in the very same draft, after picking RG3, picked Kirk Cousins, probably because of RG3's playing style that they suspected might get him hurt and it did. Teams just have to cover themselves based on history. If the Colts drafted (say) Watson after moving up in the 2017 draft when they weren't sure if Luck was going to play, when they had pick No.15 that they used on Malik Hooker, I would have been fine with that. They would have been covering themselves at that point in time, IMO.

However, it was Ballard's first year, Pagano's lame duck season, and not much was going to be done to rock the boat or change the status quo, IMO. Luck's uncertainty actually hurt us both in 2017 and 2019 and at least now, we have clarity before training camp starts. I would still not mind if they brought in a veteran like Alex Smith or Ryan Fitzpatrick or Mike Glennon as a backup if they think Eason is still not there to play backup in a pinch.

Still, you don't draft a rookie to come fill in when the starter is injured.  You sign a vet in the offseason.

How would we react to Ballard drafting Kyle Trask or Mac Jones in the 2nd round this year?  We wouldn't say that Trask/Jones was drafted to simply push our starter to be a better QB.   We would say that the starting status of any QB we currently have is in question. 

Or even if we had Luck?  We would think there was a likelihood we would be moving on from Luck at some point.  We would prefer Ballard use a second rounder on defense, or an OT or WR, rather than a pure backup.

I don't see why this is even debatable, the notion that Roseman drafted Hurts as a future starter.  

DC picked RG111 because for one reason (of many), they could not ignore the hype.  They picked Cousins because they knew Griffin had bust potential and wanted someone to be there after the hype wore off.

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

How would we react to Ballard drafting Kyle Trask or Mac Jones in the 2nd round this year? 

I would be fine with it though I know it would raise a lot of eyebrows.  Carson has had trouble finishing seasons and we are not tied to him for all that long.  He could be gone after two years if it doesn't go well.

I don't think this will actually happen but I can see an argument for it.  It would probably be the end of Eason though

2 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I would be fine with it though I know it would raise a lot of eyebrows.  Carson has had trouble finishing seasons and we are not tied to him for all that long.  He could be gone after two years if it doesn't go well.

I don't think this will actually happen but I can see an argument for it.  It would probably be the end of Eason though

Ballard likely will not do that because he'll want to give time for the Wentz/Reich partnership to season, and see more of what he has in Eason.  He might make that move down the road, but he'll use capital somewhere else this draft.

59 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't see why this is even debatable, the notion that Roseman drafted Hurts as a future starter.  

DC picked RG111 because for one reason (of many), they could not ignore the hype.  They picked Cousins because they knew Griffin had bust potential and wanted someone to be there after the hype wore off.

Cousins and Hurts both fell further than some folks predicted, so both the Eagles and Redskins chose to protect their starter investments. In fact, Wentz's injury history had a greater track record than any indication that RG3 would bust, IMO. 

Having said that, I can't ignore the fact that Cousins wasn't drafted as early as Round 2, which tells me that Howie knew about what was brewing between Pederson and Wentz and chose to protect the Eagles should things go south, which they did. However, instead of working through the situation, they chose to cut ties with the situation, amplifying it with a draft pick of Hurts, and now both Pederson and Wentz are gone.

41 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Cousins and Hurts both fell further than some folks predicted, so both the Eagles and Redskins chose to protect their starter investments. In fact, Wentz's injury history had a greater track record than any indication that RG3 would bust, IMO. 

Having said that, I can't ignore the fact that Cousins wasn't drafted as early as Round 2, which tells me that Howie knew about what was brewing between Pederson and Wentz and chose to protect the Eagles should things go south, which they did. However, instead of working through the situation, they chose to cut ties with the situation, amplifying it with a draft pick of Hurts, and now both Pederson and Wentz are gone.

I don't disagree with that at all.  But the idea of Hurts offering the Eagles protection is not a relief duty capacity, its in a possible get rid of Wentz capacity because he's unreliable.

IMO, both teams drafted to be in a position to choose new QBs once contract time (or trade time) rolled around for those teams.  If their starter was unreliable, they had the replacement on the roster. 

That's different than adding a backup QB to be nothing but a perpetual relief-duty backup.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I'd like to sign a vet, and continue the competition at backup QB. Bortles, Glennon, Winston, etc., all would be good competition for Eason. Someone like Fitz probably wants a more open opportunity than the Colts have to offer.

How bout Jordan Love?

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'd like to sign a vet, and continue the competition at backup QB. Bortles, Glennon, Winston, etc., all would be good competition for Eason. Someone like Fitz probably wants a more open opportunity than the Colts have to offer.

For what it’s worth...   a recent premium article on ESPN.com predicted that Winston will replace Brees.   I think the writer’s vote was either 7-2 or 6-3 over Hill.

And, just for laughs, I think Super Bowl week I read Arians say he think Bortles might be the guy to start in Tampa after Brady retires.   I hope you didn’t spit up a beverage on your computer reading that! 

31 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth...   a recent premium article on ESPN.com predicted that Winston will replace Brees.   I think the writer’s vote was either 7-2 or 6-3 over Hill.

And, just for laughs, I think Super Bowl week I read Arians say he think Bortles might be the guy to start in Tampa after Brady retires.   I hope you didn’t spit up a beverage on your computer reading that! 

Both of those are laugh worthy to me. I think Brees will retire, and if so it makes sense for the Saints to keep Winston if they can, but I think Taysom Hill is their guy in 2021. JMO.

I also think the Saints should completely tear it down and get a jump on their much needed and long delayed rebuild. They're in a special kind of purgatory right now. The only team in the SB era to win 49 games in a four year span, and not make the SB. And Brees looks cooked to me, the locker room is having issues, they're paying a RB $15m/year, they have 13 players with a cap hit of at least $10m in 2021 (the Colts have THREE), etc. And they're $70m over the projected cap of $180m. 

If Arians wants Bortles, he can have him. He's just a guy IMO, talented, mobile, pretty good arm, but not a quality QB. He might be capable of having a good 2-3 games, on the right team, in which case maybe he has some value for a team if their starter goes down. He's a pro, he's been on several teams with several coaching staffs, and I think he's always been a model citizen, he's just not that good. But I think he'd fit in our QB room, as a potential QB2, or a trade asset if Eason looks capable of being QB2. 

I guess I should say, Bortles was the #3 pick in the draft, and played well enough that the Jags got to the AFCCG, and with some more daring play calling they might have beaten the Pats in that game. He has tools, that's why I mentioned him. If Arians thinks he can get starter level play out of him again, so be it. But he better have a Plan B.

On 2/22/2021 at 11:09 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

exactly, what I just posted

On 2/20/2021 at 9:11 PM, Lancer1 said:

Jacoby Brissett is a free agent, and I can't imagine him willingly re-signing here to back up Carson Wentz. This could be the last NFL contract he signs, and I think he'll go somewhere where he has a good chance to start, unless there's  just no interest in him leaguewide or he's backing up one of the NFL's better quarterbacks like Brady, Rodgers, Wilson or Jackson.

hey sitting around watching football games is very good work,if you can find it. Esp. for  20 million bucks or so. Same goes for Eason.  Nice

10 hours ago, Superman said:

I also think the Saints should completely tear it down and get a jump on their much needed and long delayed rebuild. They're in a special kind of purgatory right now. The only team in the SB era to win 49 games in a four year span, and not make the SB. And Brees looks cooked to me, the locker room is having issues, they're paying a RB $15m/year, they have 13 players with a cap hit of at least $10m in 2021 (the Colts have THREE), etc. And they're $70m over the projected cap of $180m. 

I disagree.   I think you beg him to return.   

Last season, he threw for over 70% completions again.   24 TD'd, 6 INT's.   QB rating of 106.4.

They have a pretty good team, if they were to try to make another run, I wouldn't fault them.

23 hours ago, chad72 said:

Wentz has got a SB ring though. How did you guys like Rivers for the year he played in Indy?

14 minutes ago, Arodgers12 said:

How did you guys like Rivers for the year he played in Indy?

He was fine.  Some people think we should be all in for the super bowl or tanking for a QB, but that's not how the team is run from the top.

Phil was solid, he got us to 11-5 and a playoff game.  He wasn't amazing against the Bills but wasn't the reason we lost either.  I believe the team would have taken him back if he didn't retire.

2 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

He was fine.  Some people think we should be all in for the super bowl or tanking for a QB, but that's not how the team is run from the top.

Phil was solid, he got us to 11-5 and a playoff game.  He wasn't amazing against the Bills but wasn't the reason we lost either.  I believe the team would have taken him back if he didn't retire.

You think Rivers had anything more left in the tank?

On 2/20/2021 at 6:47 PM, poilucelt said:

given Wentz's injury history, I'd be more comfortable w/ the idea of "Eason = backup QB" if the Colts had a 3rd, inexpensive vet QB on the bench as well

Hoyer's a free agent FWIW...dunno if Reich and Ballard want to go in that direction again or not. IIRC Colt McCoy's a free agent too.

Any "inexpensive" vet is going to cost more than a 4th round if you want that QB to be at least competent.  Guys like Fitzpatrick or Foles if he becomes available somehow are going to cost you $8-$12 million a year.  That's your second stringer if you pay those guys.  3rd stringers that sit behind Eason if you have faith in Eason, are guys like Phillip Walker or someone in that range (he's obviously not available, but for the sake of argument). 

If Eason is your #2 QB going into the season, you should be reluctant to pay a 3rd stringer more money unless you aren't sure of his development, so gotta know what you have in Eason.  Hard last year since there was no preseason.  So it's a tough time to GM some of the smaller nuances when you never saw some of your guys get any real preseason to evaluate.  We gotta have a competent backup for sure.  Jacoby isn't my favorite answer, but it's the one with the least resistance.

Archived