Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Backup QB?

cdgacoltsfan

15 minutes ago, Arodgers12 said:

You think Rivers had anything more left in the tank?

Ehhh.  He was decent enough.  Most of his damage was done pre-snap.  A lot of dink and dunk.  When he had to throw the ball 50 yards, sometimes it was spot on, and aother times he'd miss a guy 3 paces ahead of the FS.  I don't think he'll ever be able to shake off that cloud over his head that he could never come up big in the 4th quarter of the playoffs. 

He was average to above average.  But there were only a few games where I thought man, glad Rivers plays and not Brissett.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Myles said:

I disagree.   I think you beg him to return.   

Last season, he threw for over 70% completions again.   24 TD'd, 6 INT's.   QB rating of 106.4.

They have a pretty good team, if they were to try to make another run, I wouldn't fault them.

He's 42. He's missed multiple games the past two seasons, he can't push the ball downfield, and even his intermediate velocity looked bad at the end of the season.

And of course, they're $70m over the cap, so there's no running it back. Realistically, they have to make major adjustments in the next three weeks.

Your response kind of illustrates my point. Yes, they're a pretty good team, but are they good enough? They got dominated in the playoff loss. They haven't made the SB despite how good they've been in the regular season. It's easy to say 'we're so close,' but either you're getting better or you're getting worse, and it's hard to see how they can get better this offseason, given their cap situation. I don't even think they can tread water.

One bright spot is their best receiver missed 9 games last year, so getting him back will be a boost. But he played 44 snaps in the playoff loss, and didn't catch a single pass. So he doesn't solve all their problems.

1 hour ago, BlackTiger said:

I think he had another year in him.  If you look at stats and rankings he was around middle of the pack for starting QBs

Physically, I expected that Rivers could play at the same level for another year, if he wanted. Maybe with a little more effectiveness, after a year in the system, and with a real offseason. But I didn't think that Rivers could seriously raise his level of play to a degree that it would make the team better in 2021.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Your response kind of illustrates my point. Yes, they're a pretty good team, but are they good enough? They got dominated in the playoff loss. They haven't made the SB despite how good they've been in the regular season. It's easy to say 'we're so close,' but either you're getting better or you're getting worse, and it's hard to see how they can get better this offseason, given their cap situation. I don't even think they can tread water.

I think that if you consider yourself a playoff team, you go for it.   With Brees, I definitely think they are a playoff team.  

Even though the Colts only made 2 Superbowls, I never wanted to see them dismantle the team   If you can make the playoffs, you can win the Superbowl (just ask Giants fans).  

That said, I think Brees is going to retire and the Saints will take a step back and probably miss the playoffs.

18 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think that if you consider yourself a playoff team, you go for it.   With Brees, I definitely think they are a playoff team.  

Even though the Colts only made 2 Superbowls, I never wanted to see them dismantle the team   If you can make the playoffs, you can win the Superbowl (just ask Giants fans).  

That said, I think Brees is going to retire and the Saints will take a step back and probably miss the playoffs.

I get that, but we never had a 42 year old Peyton Manning, and we were never $70m over the cap. And again, they are the only team EVER to win this many regular season games over a four year stretch, and not make a SB. 

I just think they're ripe for a major regression, no matter what they do. 

Of course, if Brees wants to keep playing, that changes their approach, but if he retires it makes the decision a lot easier. IMO.

It’s gonna be really interesting to see what direction we go with Wentz’s primary back-up this year.  We’ve read that he had a real problem with Hurts nipping at his heels last year, but that might be a little overstated by the media. Nonetheless, re-signing locker room favorite Brissett might not be the best thing for the apparently insecure Wentz.  Likewise, if we signed a veteran like Andy Dalton, it could threaten Wentz’s job if he struggles early on.  It might be a good idea to go all-in on Wentz by intentionally backing him up with younger, inexperienced QBs who aren’t a threat to his starting position.  Of course, he’s spent a lot of his career injured, so a Dalton-like back-up could potentially save the season.  It’s a tough call.  I think I’d sign an Andy Dalton and hope Wentz has the character to understand that level of depth is best for the team...

2 minutes ago, Archer said:

It’s gonna be really interesting to see what direction we go with Wentz’s primary back-up this year.  We’ve read that he had a real problem with Hurts nipping at his heels last year, but that might be a little overstated by the media. Nonetheless, re-signing locker room favorite Brissett might not be the best thing for the apparently insecure Wentz.  Likewise, if we signed a veteran like Andy Dalton, it could threaten Wentz’s job if he struggles early on.  It might be a good idea to go all-in on Wentz by intentionally backing him up with younger, inexperienced QBs who aren’t a threat to his starting position.  Of course, he’s spent a lot of his career injured, so a Dalton-like back-up could potentially save the season.  It’s a tough call.  I think I’d sight an Andy Dalton and hope Wentz has the character to understand that level of depth is best for the team...

He didn't have a problem with having Foles as his backup. 

15 minutes ago, Myles said:

How Ballard and Reich feel about Eason is the question.   He would be the ideal choice if he has impressed.   

I would also consider bring Rosen in cheap to battle Eason for the back up QB position.

Rosen is signed to San Fran.   He’s currently third string. 

3 hours ago, Archer said:

It’s gonna be really interesting to see what direction we go with Wentz’s primary back-up this year.  We’ve read that he had a real problem with Hurts nipping at his heels last year, but that might be a little overstated by the media. Nonetheless, re-signing locker room favorite Brissett might not be the best thing for the apparently insecure Wentz.  Likewise, if we signed a veteran like Andy Dalton, it could threaten Wentz’s job if he struggles early on.  It might be a good idea to go all-in on Wentz by intentionally backing him up with younger, inexperienced QBs who aren’t a threat to his starting position.  Of course, he’s spent a lot of his career injured, so a Dalton-like back-up could potentially save the season.  It’s a tough call.  I think I’d sign an Andy Dalton and hope Wentz has the character to understand that level of depth is best for the team...

It was more likely the totality of the organization he had a problem with.  Media likes drama but I doubt Hurts being a talented backup was the lone issue in his insecurity with the eagles.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

There’s no need to cut him.   Especially at this early point of his career. 

But he ould be on the practice squad again.  If they don't think hes ready to be the back up.   Find the next young talent that is.

BTW.  I like Eason.   I think he is a lot like Wentz in ability   

9 minutes ago, BluesGirl said:

But he ould be on the practice squad again.  If they don't think hes ready to be the back up.   Find the next young talent that is.

BTW.  I like Eason.   I think he is a lot like Wentz in ability   

I think Eason was on the active roster all year.    I don’t think he was on the practice squad.   It’s likely too soon to risk cutting him and sneaking him thru to try and get him in the PS.    Big risk.    I think he’d have to be a huge disappointment for us to risk cutting him.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Eason was on the active roster all year.    I don’t think he was on the practice squad.   It’s likely too soon to risk cutting him and sneaking him thru to try and get him in the PS.    Big risk.    I think he’d have to be a huge disappointment for us to risk cutting him.

My bad.  Yes but 3rd sting.   IMO they kinda know what they have in Eason.  I really hope he is the backup.  Only Ballard knows 

25 minutes ago, BluesGirl said:

My bad.  Yes but 3rd sting.   IMO they kinda know what they have in Eason.  I really hope he is the backup.  Only Ballard knows 

I think would know under normal circumstances.   But with Covid, last year was not normal.   So, I’m not sure if they know what they have?   

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think would know under normal circumstances.   But with Covid, last year was not normal.   So, I’m not sure if they know what they have?   

I agree 100%.   I hope he makes it.   I liked him WAY before they drafted him.  I was shocked they got him in the 4th.    Kid could be ver very good.   I'm rooting for him for sure 

On 2/20/2021 at 7:15 PM, DougDew said:

Its probably going to be JB.  The FO keeps saying what a great "locker room guy" he is.  Whatever that means.

If we're in a playoff hunt, a bye week hunt, and one game matters, I don't think the FO will want to put that game into the hands of JE.

Ballard has not changed his comments about JB or Eason in about a year.  If the tone of the comments change with the acquisition of Wentz, then we'll have more clarity.

Yeah but when was the last time a game was played in the locker room??

:funny:

Colts really don’t have a choice but to go with Eason.  There are holes at LT, both DE spots, CB 1 and 2, MLB, WR 1 and 3.  Some spots will be addressed in the draft and the depth already on the team. The rest will need to be filled in with free agents.  Our cap space will be used up quickly and spending it on a backup QB would limit other positions.  Colts aren’t legitimate SB contenders this year with Wentz so give Eason the backup snaps in practice he needs and see what he has. If Wentz does return to form I believe we are a LT, DE, CB and WR away from making a major playoff push. Those are the expensive positions and spending on a backup QB will eliminate our ability to address one of those.  This roster is about to become top heavy so it’s time for draft picks to start filling out our depth and stepping into starting roles.  

7 hours ago, BluesGirl said:

Back up needs to be Eason or cut him and find another rookie.  

Wentz is injury prone - thus the whole 70-75% of the snaps thing.

We need a backup QB who is genuinely ready to step on the field when called upon.  If they have that confidence in Eason, that’s fine.  That would be the best situation.  But if they don’t, then I’d advocate using some of our cap space to sign a cheaper vet.  I wouldn’t be very confident in “another rookie” we just “found.”  And, in all likelihood, we’re not going to be drafting one...we have some critical needs to fill.

24 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Colts really don’t have a choice but to go with Eason.  There are holes at LT, both DE spots, CB 1 and 2, MLB, WR 1 and 3.  Some spots will be addressed in the draft and the depth already on the team. The rest will need to be filled in with free agents.  Our cap space will be used up quickly and spending it on a backup QB would limit other positions.  Colts aren’t legitimate SB contenders this year with Wentz so give Eason the backup snaps in practice he needs and see what he has. If Wentz does return to form I believe we are a LT, DE, CB and WR away from making a major playoff push. Those are the expensive positions and spending on a backup QB will eliminate our ability to address one of those.  This roster is about to become top heavy so it’s time for draft picks to start filling out our depth and stepping into starting roles.  

I think we’ll be able to afford a serviceable backup QB while still addressing those other positions.  Keep in mind that at least several of them are likely to be the focus of the draft.  So they will be cap friendly.

But we need to have a backup QB who can play.    Wentz isn’t exactly Cal Ripken, Jr.

This is what I worry about if Eason is the backup. What if Wentz misses a game or two with a injury and Eason play lights out and looks tremendous. Do we really need a QB controversy.  How would Wentz handle it. I assume Reich would be like Wentz is the starter and as long as Wentz was playing well it might not be a issue.  But it could cause issues. 

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is what I worry about if Eason is the backup. What if Wentz misses a game or two with a injury and Eason play lights out and looks tremendous. Do we really need a QB controversy.  How would Wentz handle it. I assume Reich would be like Wentz is the starter and as long as Wentz was playing well it might not be a issue.  But it could cause issues. 

I wouldn't lose any sleep over this .

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Having a good backup is a good problem to have, not a bad one.    We’re not going to sign a bad backup just so CW doesn’t feel threatened.    Managing Wentz’s ego is Frank’s job, and Ballard’s job.   Have faith they know how to handle it well.  

No need to worry.   Honestly. 

5 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I doubt other teams will show much interest in Brissett.  I think Brissett or another veteran QB can be brought in at a modest price.

I agree about the multiple needs we have.

5 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

I think we’ll be able to afford a serviceable backup QB while still addressing those other positions.  Keep in mind that at least several of them are likely to be the focus of the draft.  So they will be cap friendly.

But we need to have a backup QB who can play.    Wentz isn’t exactly Cal Ripken, Jr.

I concur. 

Haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but I think there's a distinct possibility that teams have two back ups again next season.

Fingers crossed we'll be beginning to move past COVID by September but I very much doubt we're in a position to say confidently that it won't affect games or teams at all. 

I could see the Colts keeping Wentz, Eason and a vet back up. I would love it if Brissett came back as a back up and we also kept Eason.

27 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

Haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but I think there's a distinct possibility that teams have two back ups again next season.

Fingers crossed we'll be beginning to move past COVID by September but I very much doubt we're in a position to say confidently that it won't affect games or teams at all. 

I could see the Colts keeping Wentz, Eason and a vet back up. I would love it if Brissett came back as a back up and we also kept Eason.

I am going to assume hopefully players will be vaccinated before the season. But like a tweet I saw awhile back the NFL can only encourage it not force it.

2 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

I would rather have Eason as the back up than Brissett.  

10 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I’m fine if the backup is Eason, or Brissett or whom ever.   But, I’d add, that rare is the time (never?) when Chris Ballard doesn’t have choices or options.   He always has that.   So I think we can feel good that Ballards plan will have a first choice, a second choice and so on.   

My guess is Ballard would prefer Eason if only because he’ll be dramatically cheaper, plus it might save a roster spot.   But if Ballard doesn’t think Eason can step in to do the job and perform well, then he’ll find someone else who can.  

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m fine if the backup is Eason, or Brissett or whom ever.   But, I’d add, that rare is the time (never?) when Chris Ballard doesn’t have choices or options.   He always has that.   So I think we can feel good that Ballards plan will have a first choice, a second choice and so on.   

My guess is Ballard would prefer Eason if only because he’ll be dramatically cheaper, plus it might save a roster spot.   But if Ballard doesn’t think Eason can step in to do the job and perform well, then he’ll find someone else who can.  

Yeah I agree Ballard will know what to do.  I really doubt he would risk rolling with Eason just to save money. I guess I’m just ready for some of these drafted players to step up and become average starters or key backups.  This roster is going to get top heavy and we need guys on rookie contracts playing quality football to fill out the roster. It’s coming and I bet this will be a killer team in 2-3 years and push for a conference championship game.  I just want it now lol. 

Archived