Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What realisticly are our expectations for the upcoming season?

horseshoecrabs

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I liked Reich's approach. First, he was more spirited and animated than I was prepared for. We've been hearing for a solid week how he's cool, calm, collected, and he's been compared with Dungy more than I'm comfortable with, but he was a little turned up today.

Second, him taking the time to outline his four core principles was meaningful, to me. It could all turn out to be just words, but he had well thought out prepared remarks that seemed to send a message, not just to the fans, but to the players also. 

And I just re-read the post, and realized we both missed another one. In order, Reich said 1) tough, 2) disciplined, 3) prepared, 4) united. I'm looking forward to that being the case.

Coach Reich will have to bring the receiving unit to heel from day 1.

Impossible to predict because we need to see how Free Agency and the Draft goes. That would determine a lot regarding my prediction. With a healthy Luck you would think we could go at least 8-8 if he played all 16 games - we did in 2016. We lost 6 games last season by 7 points or less without him last season. With him I could debate we win at least 4 of those which would've put us 8-8.

3 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Depends too much on free agency and draft to know yet..As we sit, if Luck is healthy 9-7, if we hit on draft and free agency 12-4...No Luck, Brissett starting in same scenario 7-9 floor, 10-6 if we play offseason right...

this

although I don't want to say my expectations until we know for sure if Luck is playing.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I liked Reich's approach. First, he was more spirited and animated than I was prepared for. We've been hearing for a solid week how he's cool, calm, collected, and he's been compared with Dungy more than I'm comfortable with, but he was a little turned up today.

Second, him taking the time to outline his four core principles was meaningful, to me. It could all turn out to be just words, but he had well thought out prepared remarks that seemed to send a message, not just to the fans, but to the players also. 

And I just re-read the post, and realized we both missed another one. In order, Reich said 1) tough, 2) disciplined, 3) prepared, 4) united. I'm looking forward to that being the case.

Yes, and he was talking to my hearts desire as he spoke. I know the new message is always uplifting, but I truly think that Frank is at the right spot in his life to do this. It remains, of course, to be seen...but he is genuine, and he has his priorities in the order I would wish for. He certainly nailed that introductory presser to a level that caught me off guard. 

4 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

At least 10-6 

I agree.  I said this in another thread, but this is the better thread for it.  Excellent coaching leads to better conditioning and better scheming, plus with an upgraded o-line, with or without luck (pun intended), we win at least 10 games!  

5 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Because of Luck?

I'm getting bad vibes regarding Luck. 

No, mostly sarcasm. 

But I do expect a high draft pick next year.  I think this year will be a true rebuilding year.  A new offense, a new defense, a lot more roster turnover, etc.  I could be wrong and would be happy to be wrong, but I have low expectations.

Just now, our_dbs_rock said:

No, mostly sarcasm. 

But I do expect a high draft pick next year.  I think this year will be a true rebuilding year.  A new offense, a new defense, a lot more roster turnover, etc.  I could be wrong and would be happy to be wrong, but I have low expectations.

If Luck is Healthy, I expect at least 11 wins. Just doesn't seem like he will be. 

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

I agree.  I said this in another thread, but this is the better thread for it.  Excellent coaching leads to better conditioning and better scheming, plus with an upgraded o-line, with or without luck (pun intended), we win at least 10 games!  

Yes, I do too and just like Reich said a few players can make a big difference and I agree with that assumption. 

There is a ton of work to do this season with improving the roster and installing new schemes both on offense and defense. Brand new coaching staff too. It is going to be a work in progress, starting today.

My only expectation is that I want to see continuous improvements across the board in game planing, execution, discipline, in-game adjustments and so forth. Across the board improvements, so that we will end the season on a high tone full of optimism for the future, pretty much regardless of the record.

Polian has stated that this team needs 2 or 3 years of rebuilding; let’s make it 1 year of rebuilding, and then the playoffs should be the goal going forward. 

It is obviously early but I have in my head that we could potentially follow the Eagles model (I know, how original!!!).

Last year I think they finished 8-8 or somewhere around there, but they felt like they were close in almost all games and that translated into being a great team this year. 

This year, we had a poor record, but in a lot of those games we could have taken something, admittedly in other games we got creased.  Therefore, a jump to 8-8 is very possible and we are where the 2016 Eagles were.  I don't think we win the division, but we maybe sneak a wildcard but we see our rookies from this year make a big jump and contribute even more.  Excited about free agency also.

I think the change to 4-3 may take more time that people would like, and this year will be a test and see some struggles. 

But I see us being a real force in 2019 and for the years following that. :lombardi:

I only see a few of them but I don't follow along with these "11 wins at least with a healthy Luck" posts.

This isn't the AFC South of the past, it's only gonna get tougher going forward. No more penciled in wins. With new coaches and our roster, all the turnover there should be and just the general age shift...I think almost be overachieving to get 10 wins. I'd probably be plenty content with 8-9 wins.

Some of these predictions are unrealistic or at the very least long shots. It's the kind of things people come in here and post making fun of ridiculous comments made by delusional fans on other teams forums. 

With a healthy Luck I put the over/under at 8-8. 

1 hour ago, esmort said:

Some of these predictions are unrealistic or at the very least long shots. It's the kind of things people come in here and post making fun of ridiculous comments made by delusional fans on other teams forums. 

With a healthy Luck I put the over/under at 8-8. 

On Philadelphia sports talk radio, it’s amazing how many fans are claiming they called their SB winning year at the beginning of the year. When I heard those prognostications, I dismissed them as coming from overly enthusiastic fans. 

Who really knows? Will the team stay healthy? Will Ballard do well in the draft and FA? Will any of the 17 players that ended up on IR (including Luck) contribute? Will any of last year’s draft class have a great sophomore year? Will any rookies start and be difference makers? Will the team learn how to finish? Will we have a pass rush? 

I know every National pundit, Ballard and Reich have stated that it won’t happen overnight because there are too many holes to fill, and they would know but maybe, just maybe, things could come together quickly. Who the heck knows?

I'll say 9-7 and a possible wild-card berth. I'm a lot lower on Andrew Luck then most on this forum. I don't believe he can carry this team to the playoffs in the AFC South by himself anymore with how improved the division is. If Deshaun Watson is fully recovered from his ACL tear at the start of the season, we may not even have the best QB in the division anymore. The team is still very bare of talent, regardless what a lot of people think. Very few playmakers on either side of the ball. If Luck is back to 2014 form, I think we can compete for the division. Otherwise, I think it could be the same thing this year where we fall behind in games and Luck is playing comeback via 2016 all over again. 

Personally, taking Barkley 3rd overall would help the team in the short term if he was a hit. However, the defense would suffer and we'd probably be a 1st round playoff exit at best. I think 9-7 is the ceiling as I said above, and we need two more drafts to get this team the proper talent to compete with the rest of the NFL and in the playoffs.Luck isn't good enough on his own, he's not Peyton Manning.

51 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

Honestly?

without Luck? Another Top 5 Pick   ( 3-6 wins)

with Luck ? maybe top 20 pick,  ( 7-9 wins)

Hoping for 32nd pick :thmup:

you're real close to this article by Bill Barnwell.  I find it interesting that they predict 5.5 with Josh McDaniels and with Andrew Luck status moving the line up or down (rightly so).  I would like to hear the adjustment up or down with new coach Reich in the mix.  Perhaps it doesn't move the Vegas needle.  AFC South will dictate things too.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22146300/predicting-2018-vegas-win-totals-all-32-nfl-teams-unders-season

As things stand right now, and with Luck being back and healthy, I'm sure we'll improve our record.

I'm looking for us to finish games, win or lose, and cut down on the 4th quarter comebacks by our opponents.

I'm looking for a new attitude...accountability, a unified locker room, attention to detail, cutting way back on mistakes and continued development by our young roster.

I believe Coach Reich is the man to help us accomplish those, along with a new staff in place.

Basically, we should look like a different team on the field in 2018 than we did in 2017.  How that results in our win-loss record remains to be seen, of course.

If we accomplish these things without consideration of the FA and draft results, then we're on the way back to where we need to be.

If Andrew Luck comes back healthy and doesn't miss time, then I fully expect this team to compete for the division. We already own the Titans when Luck plays, and I don't exactly fear Houston with Watson back, since I think Watt is on the decline. 

The only team I worry about it Jacksonville. But having Luck in the game is a game changer, and with the new additions this team could have via free agency and the draft, we could be looking at a much more talented roster, with hopefully better coaching. 

16 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Oh come on  Superman  I  know you are the man in this forum. the Spock of the Colts your incite is  beyond reproach. 

you are amazing with your dedication to detail and even though I have been a Colts fan probably longer than you. I am more of a emotion guy than a stats guy but, as Kirk would say to Spock do you have an expectation?

Image result for spock quotes & memes

I am looking forward to a much improved offensive line. Get that line to the middle of the pack by adding a few key players and with Reich that offense could be dynamic. Mack is an exciting back to watch and he will be better this year.

On Defense we have Melvin, Wilson, Geathers and Hooker (NOT BAD)

Simon and Sheard and solid pieces but we need to upgrade at MLB (draft or FA) and pass rush (Chubb)

Woods, Hankins, and Anderson are solid 

We are not that far away, add two or three great play makers and of defense is in the top 15

This is all talk and I hope it comes to pass 

So many unanswered questions about how the roster will look and schemes, not to mention a few kinda key injuries *cough Luck cough cough*. I can't even begin to give a record based on the current landscape, however, I'm like Superman on my take. We blew 8-9 second half leads last year. If we had a more disciplined approach with even a slightly better set of adjustments at halftime, we could have won at least half of those games (lets just say 4). That puts us at 8-8 with no Luck, a wreck of an offensive line, a QB that was thrown in the fire, and a tired (and somewhat injured) defense.

What I would like to see is big time progression in our game planning, personnel groupings, game management (tempo, etc), and accountability. If you can fix those, I think a lot of the issues we had with blowing leads and untimely penalties/turnovers go away. With a good to great FA/draft and a healthy Luck we very well could have a playoff team and an outside shot at being a legit contender. That being said, things would have to work out perfect, and the track record for that is not very realistic at this point.

19 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

,I know it's early,  no combine no FA no draft choices but what is everyone's thoughts about what we at a minimum would like to see us at  wins vs loses . Is it at least 8 and  8 or better  or higher expatiation's .  In rebuilding we still have a long way to go. but if we do get a heathy Andrew Luck what are this forums expatiations ?

With a 100% Luck, a good FA bringing in the 2 O-line Guyana out there and someone ILB help plus a good draft - Chubb at 3 or 5/6. Plus some def help/O-line depth .... I expect division champions once again and possibly 2rnd play-offs. 

We have much better coaching and front office now. Guys returning from injuries, some getting more exp, younger talent and some veteran new guys .... I like our team and future.