Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What realisticly are our expectations for the upcoming season?

horseshoecrabs

,I know it's early,  no combine no FA no draft choices but what is everyone's thoughts about what we at a minimum would like to see us at  wins vs loses . Is it at least 8 and  8 or better  or higher expatiation's .  In rebuilding we still have a long way to go. but if we do get a heathy Andrew Luck what are this forums expatiations ?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

,I know it's early,  no combine no FA no draft choices but what is everyone's thoughts about what we at a minimum would like to see us at  wins vs loses . Is it at least 8 and  8 or better  or higher expatiation's .  In rebuilding we still have a long way to go. but if we do get a heathy Andrew Luck what are this forums expatiations ?

I would be happy to get back to 8-8 or 9-7 I think with the right pickups that can easily happen.

Realistically, I expect Luck to be back. Of course he will be rusty and not his 2016 self. He will also be adjusting to throwing in live game scenarios (taking hits, throwing under pressure) and will be learning a new offense. The Colts offense may come out of the gates slowly.

I am hoping that through the draft and FA, we add play makers to the defense, especially adding to the pass rush and to the LB positions. Overall, I think there will be a continued improvement on defense.

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

If we don't win at least two Super Bowls this season, it will be a waste. 

/s

Oh come on  Superman  I  know you are the man in this forum. the Spock of the Colts your incite is  beyond reproach. 

you are amazing with your dedication to detail and even though I have been a Colts fan probably longer than you. I am more of a emotion guy than a stats guy but, as Kirk would say to Spock do you have an expectation?

45 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

At least 10-6 

A lot of variables. The biggest being Luck. If he’s crack and good as ever with some hits in FA and a couple studs in draft I think we can compete for it all. But that takes a lot of things going our way. If Luck is rusty or have to ride with Brissett and just a decent FA and draft. I think about .500 is where we’ll be. 

My heart says we have Andrew back and we go 12 - 4 and win the AFC South. My mind and the facts say that a jump to 7-9 or 8-8 is more realistic and probable. I hope that I am wrong and we are the toast of the South again but I will be pleased with more disciplined play as well as Andrew Luck back on the field. No matter what happens next season, I think we are in good hands with Ballard and Reich leading us.

1 hour ago, horseshoecrabs said:

19-0! :D 

46 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Oh come on  Superman  I  know you are the man in this forum. the Spock of the Colts your incite is  beyond reproach. 

you are amazing with your dedication to detail and even though I have been a Colts fan probably longer than you. I am more of a emotion guy than a stats guy but, as Kirk would say to Spock do you have an expectation?

"Insufficient data"

42 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Oh come on  Superman  I  know you are the man in this forum. the Spock of the Colts your incite is  beyond reproach

To the bolded, I wish that were true, but it's not. Thanks for the credit though.

In all seriousness, I feel like the Colts have struggled due to poor coaching and lack of execution over the last two seasons, more than anything else. Obviously Luck's injury basically ended any chance of the team making the playoffs last year, but still, they choked away a handful of games with an inability to finish. What I'm trying to say is that, despite the flaws on the roster and the dozens of critical injuries, I think the Colts could/should have won more than 12 combined games the last two seasons.

I don't necessarily have W/L expectations going into 2018, especially without knowing what the roster will look like, but I do expect the team to be disciplined, to gameplan better, to call better games on both sides of the ball, to tackle better on defense, to give up far fewer big plays, not allow as many sacks/hits/pressures, and to be an ascending team in general, rather than the stuck in the mud / descending team they've been lately.

If -- IF -- Luck is healthy, and Ballard does good/great work on the roster, and Reich fixes the offense, I see this as a 10+ win team. That's a lot of "ifs," of course.

45 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Thanks...I was posting out of memory

I liked Reich's approach. First, he was more spirited and animated than I was prepared for. We've been hearing for a solid week how he's cool, calm, collected, and he's been compared with Dungy more than I'm comfortable with, but he was a little turned up today.

Second, him taking the time to outline his four core principles was meaningful, to me. It could all turn out to be just words, but he had well thought out prepared remarks that seemed to send a message, not just to the fans, but to the players also. 

And I just re-read the post, and realized we both missed another one. In order, Reich said 1) tough, 2) disciplined, 3) prepared, 4) united. I'm looking forward to that being the case.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I don't care if we go 1-15 .... as long as that single win is a 176 to 0 teeth stomping of the Patriots....

Literally my exact words about 3 hours ago.  I'm fine with blowouts and 1-15 but I want to beat the pats and bad.  

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

To the bolded, I wish that were true, but it's not. Thanks for the credit though.

In all seriousness, I feel like the Colts have struggled due to poor coaching and lack of execution over the last two seasons, more than anything else. Obviously Luck's injury basically ended any chance of the team making the playoffs last year, but still, they choked away a handful of games with an inability to finish. What I'm trying to say is that, despite the flaws on the roster and the dozens of critical injuries, I think the Colts could/should have won more than 12 combined games the last two seasons.

I don't necessarily have W/L expectations going into 2018, especially without knowing what the roster will look like, but I do expect the team to be disciplined, to gameplan better, to call better games on both sides of the ball, to tackle better on defense, to give up far fewer big plays, not allow as many sacks/hits/pressures, and to be an ascending team in general, rather than the stuck in the mud / descending team they've been lately.

If -- IF -- Luck is healthy, and Ballard does good/great work on the roster, and Reich fixes the offense, I see this as a 10+ win team. That's a lot of "ifs," of course.

All we can hope for is faith in our program to progress. Thank you for you human side to give us the faith we desperately  need lol. You do know I'm only kidding with ya  big lug? Have the upmost respect for you. only wish I had the dedication you  have for detail. 

Hard to say record wise, obviously, but for me, I'd like to see 3 things happen next season.

1. Improvements in game planning and preparation week to week. One thing I keep reading about Reich is how much time he goes into creating an effective game plan. Let's hope we're passed the  days of being unprepared at the start of games and halfs.

2. Show improvements on both sides of the ball as the year goes along. Obviously every team strives for this, but with a new coaching staff and plenty of new and young players, I don't expect em to blow us away out of the gate. Simply put, be a better team week 17 then week 1.

3. Get Andrew Luck healthy, and back to top form. We go as far as he takes us. Gotta have him at 100%, and gotta PROTECT him. Ballard keeps saying it's not about one player, and it's not, but let's be real, he's the $ 100 million dollar man. They need him to be back.

If those 3 things happen in 2018, I would consider it a win. 

Record wise, it all depends on FA, the draft, and injuries, but 7-9 to 10-6 is my expectation (with a healthy Luck).