Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts release D’Qwell Jackson

Everyone

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yup. It wouldn't surprise me. Like the poster you responded to said, no one on defense is really safe. There isn't one guy who has absolutely proven that they're a keeper. Even the young guys on cheap rookie deals. We could have an entirely new starting defense in September.

And I have absolutely no issue if that happens.  How could it get much worse.... seriously.

Edited by BR-549
Spelling or autocorrect one... lol

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, corgi said:

I have never type a single word at him on Twitter. I follow him and see how he handles himself when faced with warranted criticism. He's not very good at all and he cannot handle that fact.

It's one thing to say that Green sucks on a forum or something. It's rude and classless to directly send messages to him telling him he is trash. Despite what people think, being a public figure doesn't automatically mean people can hide behind the computer and be a * while he is just supposed to accept it. People act like he can just suddenly decide to be better and it is his fault that he isn't an instant legend that doesn't make mistakes. I'm sure he is putting forth a full effort to improve, so to put forth an effort to personally attack him is just stupid, and I don't blame him for reacting negatively to useless knobs. 

1 minute ago, Derakynn said:

It's one thing to say that Green sucks on a forum or something. It's rude and classless to directly send messages to him telling him he is trash. Despite what people think, being a public figure doesn't automatically mean people can hide behind the computer and be a * while he is just supposed to accept it. People act like he can just suddenly decide to be better and it is his fault that he isn't an instant legend that doesn't make mistakes. I'm sure he is putting forth a full effort to improve, so to put forth an effort to personally attack him is just stupid, and I don't blame him for reacting negatively to useless knobs. 

And...

Rude, hurtful, inconsiderate, mindless and completely uncalled for.

2 hours ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

I know many think ilb is a strong need and I agree with that to a sense. Edwin played well at ilb. The one I'm excited to see is Morrison. In the beginning he looked lost and wasn't mean to be a ilb. But went he got to play his natural position at mlb he showed some good flashes. I hope he continues to develop.

I agree but the one thing that bothers me about Morrison is his aggression.  I have a feeling he can be the type that gets us stupid bad penalties with bad timing.  I hope not because  aggression is good in that position if it is controllable.  

Seems like he is easily capable of playing beyond the whistle in other words.

I mean, I don't disagree with the move, but it wasn't one that was NECESSARY. Yeah, it frees up that cap space, but it's not like we were in need of it. For a guy who had made his intention of building through the draft clear, he's sure gonna have to make a lot of plays in free agency, or one really, really big one.

8 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I mean, I don't disagree with the move, but it wasn't one that was NECESSARY. Yeah, it frees up that cap space, but it's not like we were in need of it. For a guy who had made his intention of building through the draft clear, he's sure gonna have to make a lot of plays in free agency, or one really, really big one.

Was necessary. 

15 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Sorry man i am going to disagree.  Our LB play was horrible last year.  Not that I am an expert, but it is what I played and what I coached.  And IMO it was the worst LB play I have seen in a long long time and I was on board in 1985.

We were absolutely in need of it.  Go back and watch how many passes that were NOT defended underneath.  None of them could cover very well and tackling wasn't great either.... a lot of yards after contact.

I personally am tired of it being a given that other teams are spotted 150 yards just because of our linebacker play.

Granted having a better DL improves the LB play, but even with that they just were not very good.  I am looking forward to better LB play this year and this is a good start.... meaning we need more speed, better tackling and better coverage out of our linebackers.   

4 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Lol isn't ilb, olb, cb already immediate needs currently

You are correct, but you have to give the franchise the tools he needs on offense....   Look back at the 1999 draft and although there were needs on D the Colts made one of their best draft picks ever in Edgerine James.  He was just what Peyton needed to make things click.    I look through that draft and there is not one player on there that I would have rather had than Edge....   

But as someone else said there are RB's available later. But I would rather take Cook than reach for an OLB when there will be many to choose from in the second that will be rated close.  

I think the #1 need is CB.   That is where I hope we go, but would understand the RB pick if its made

Even though I am fond of D.Q. with his ability to lead a defense, and his tackling, this was a good move.  Surprising to me, being we are already so thin at the position, but makes sense.  

He must have watched quite a bit of tape already to make this cut.  The P.E.D. use may have had a sleight edge into his decision, but I don't want to put words in our new G.M.'s mouth.  I wish we could have a statement from him explaining his full reasoning, instead of forums and media just throwing out guess' again.  But I know this is asking for too much, huh?

With the amount of vacancies we have now,...and the posability of more to come,..not to mention F.A.'s we may not resign,....AND remembering him saying he does 'dip' into F.A. some, but will focus mostly on draft to fill up the '63' men on the Colts, Is it a far fetched assumption he will be making moves to gather more draft picks?

2 hours ago, buccolts said:

Really? Keeping up with the Jones' in High School?

Is that rampant now, or where 'bouts you from?

Smaller town in southern KY. Graduated in 09. So I'm 26 (27 on the 17th) And yes. Anabolic Steroids and HGH is very common in HS and on up. And I don't know how things are now as things have changed A LOT since I was in HS, but there was no drug testing at my school. And it wasn't just 1-2 of us. It was quite a few. A lot of us got into body building. I went from a 140 pound freshman at 16 to a 180ish pound Sophomore at 17 to a 200ish pound Junior and Senior. And I'm only 5'10ish.The most drastic was obviously from Freshman to Sophomore year LOL.

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I haven't earned the right to be an __ on Twitter either, but I don't let that stop me.

LOL. I got ya bro. But you know what I mean. A proven all pro caliber CB like Janoris Jenkins has the right to be an __ on twitter. By his play on the field. Green should just keep quite until he produces LOL.

5 hours ago, Restored said:

Sends a couple of messages:

-PED use and things of that nature could possibly be more scrutinized under Ballard than with Grigson.

-Team is looking to get younger on defense.

Solid move.

I don't think this is about PEDs use being more scrutinized.  I think it's just about the value.  DQ's performance is not worth $5 mil at this point, so it makes more sense to cut him than keep him.  Even if he didn't get busted for PEDs, this would have been the smart move.

5 hours ago, MTC said:

#PeopleForgetThat D'Qwell Jackson made the Pro Bowl in 2014.

I think he also (somehow) got a vote to be 1st team All-Pro that year

3 hours ago, Luck is Good said:

Interesting news as soon as you get out of work. But what this tells me is that Chris Ballard isn't afraid to make moves. And that is good when talking about a GM

Honestly this doesn't tell us much. One thing that was certain this offseason was DQ was going to get cut...and Art Jones is next. This move would have been done by all 31 other GMs. There will be some moves later on we may gleen some things from but this isn't one of them.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Honestly this doesn't tell us much. One thing that was certain this offseason was DQ was going to get cut...and Art Jones is next. This move would have been done by all 31 other GMs. There will be some moves later on we may gleen some things from but this isn't one of them.

Arthur Jones has to be next. That guy has literally done next to nothing for quite some time now. And I'm not sure all 31 GMs would've made this move

1 hour ago, Derakynn said:

Here's the thing, he's an adult. If he wants greatness then go get it. If he can't handle criticism then maybe the public spotlight and social media isn't for him. He also sinks to their level when people say nasty things. He could just be the bigger man and block then or not respond like most celebs/athletes but he has to resort to emojis or infantile insults. I have zero sympathy for that dude. 

Was necessary. 

Sorry man i am going to disagree.  Our LB play was horrible last year.  Not that I am an expert, but it is what I played and what I coached.  And IMO it was the worst LB play I have seen in a long long time and I was on board in 1985.

We were absolutely in need of it.  Go back and watch how many passes that were NOT defended underneath.  None of them could cover very well and tackling wasn't great either.... a lot of yards after contact.

I personally am tired of it being a given that other teams are spotted 150 yards just because of our linebacker play.

Granted having a better DL improves the LB play, but even with that they just were not very good.  I am looking forward to better LB play this year and this is a good start.... meaning we need more speed, better tackling and better coverage out of our linebackers.   

There was no harm in keeping him as depth.

None.

No matter how bad he was. He could still be a great teacher to younger players.

We were 50 million plus to the good in cap space. The money we gained by cutting him was not necessary.

I'm not saying we should have retained him as a starter. But was it the end of the world if we held on to him?

Not even close.

13 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

None.

We were 50 million plus to the good in cap space. The money we gained by cutting him was not necessary.

I'm not saying we should have retained him as a starter. But was it the end of the world if we held on to him?

Not even close.

Curious if they tried to get him to take a pay cut. He may have figured he can make more on the open market.

10 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

None.

Not even close.

There were over 5 1/2 million reasons to let him go. We don't even have to use it this year we can roll it over. That kind of money can bring in a nice player...a starting ilb possibly. He was a good player for us the first couple years but his play fell way off...he is a liability on the field and then with the PEds it's hard not to say he isn't one in the locker room as an example to the young guys. What does that teach them? It's the right move and it was expected by everyone probably even DQ. Wish him well he was a good signing. With as many holes on the defense that we have that money will go a long way to helping us find a new starter. Or look at it this way maybe his and arts money could go to Melvin Ingram or someone like that.

2 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Just waiting on the rest,  Jones, lanford, gore frees up a ton of cap with little dead 

I think Langford and Gore are pretty safe. Gore is still very productive and affordable compared to the cost of bringing in another back and Langford when healthy has been one of our best interior lineman. Jones is a certainty though. 

2 hours ago, BR-549 said:

I agree but the one thing that bothers me about Morrison is his aggression.  I have a feeling he can be the type that gets us stupid bad penalties with bad timing.  I hope not because  aggression is good in that position if it is controllable.  

Seems like he is easily capable of playing beyond the whistle in other words.

I agree, he is aggressive but I think he learned a lot after he lost playing time. He does have good instincts and i think in the beginning he wasn't accumulated to the play book fully. I'm not going to say Morrison is going to be great but I think he can be a solid player, the key is development. I know a lot of people on the forum think he was a waste of a draft pick but I think he proved himself at the end of the year. As long as he stays at mlb I think he can be a productive player.

6 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I wasn't even thinking anything about the roids. I don't consider it a big deal unless a guy keeps getting caught. Heck man honestly we all took PED's in high school and I kept on for a short time after. If you do cycles like you're supposed to it don't hurt you. You just cant do them a full year or something crazy.

Hey as a Kicker/Punter (and soccer player)  I can say that I never took PEDs!  Lol but I see your point as Im sure it's common in some locker rooms 

5 hours ago, masterlock said:

I don't know why people seem so eager to get rid of Mike Adams. He showed he can still play in 2016, and I doubt we'll find a better free agent for the price. I don't see anyone on the roster that could match his level of play. 

Art Jones, on the other hand, is a waste of roster space, and the Colts can clear up a significant chunk of cash by releasing him.

Sorry, but I thought Adams had an awful season. 

I hope Ballard doesn't even consider renewing his contract.