Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts release D’Qwell Jackson

Everyone

4 hours ago, deedub75 said:

It's difficult for us to gauge immediate needs because we don't know if they are trying to win now or rebuild. Conrad Brunner told JMV that Irsay said that he'd rather have a couple of down years to get younger and build a team for the future than risk going 8-8 again. I think we get younger in a hurry through the draft and FA and not break the bank on older players. 

How would getting rid of old, mediocre at best players from a historically bad defense while having the capacity to replace them with 7-8 younger, more talented players via FA and 5 picks in the first 4 rounds this offseason .....result in a down year?

I mean, they went 8-8 last year.  Being a younger and more talented team, which they almost certainly will be, will result in what.....a 6-10 record next year?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, ManningGM said:

What's up with fans offering up staff positions for released players?

I know some may feel sorry for the dude(I honestly don't why), but come on now. 

Very funny coming from a poster with the moniker, "ManningGM".

Also, I don't feel sorry for him at all, he was a good ILB with the Colts but father time cannot be beaten.  But it's not too ridiculous to consider offering a guy who was a top LB in the league for over a decade an asst position coach spot if he wants it.

52 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

We have a talent deficient defense. We need pieces on defense, that's not a rebuild. Could get Melvin Ingram and hit on our first 3 (defensive)picks and it's a whole different team IMO.

We don`t have a single defensive player on our roster that we can Expect to be Top Notch next season.
  Vontae is a ?  The rest are kids that show good signs, but are totally unproven. lol
 I see us needing 2 Quality OB`s, 2 ILB`s, a Deep safety, a NT/rush DT, and another Top CB.
 That is a REBUILD of the 1st order.

10 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

How would getting rid of old, mediocre at best players from a historically bad defense while having the capacity to replace them with 7-8 younger, more talented players via FA and 5 picks in the first 4 rounds this offseason .....result in a down year?

I mean, they went 8-8 last year.  Being a younger and more talented team, which they almost certainly will be, will result in what.....a 6-10 record next year?

7-8 more talented through FA.  That is :headspin:
 Rookies lack of Experience = :facepalm:
 We will still have the least talented roster in our Division. Winning three games Again in our Division will be very tough next season.

4 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I agree on Butler & Doyle, but I doubt Walden gets a new deal. He's had one good season & he's 31, hard to justify a new contract IMO.

Walden has been pretty steady since he got here. He had his best season this year no doubt with the 11 sacks. If he could be signed for reasonable I would be for bringing him back. But, I could also see Ballard wanting to go a different direction.

18 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

We don`t have a single defensive player on our roster that we can Expect to be Top Notch next season.
  Vontae is a ?  The rest are kids that show good signs, but are totally unproven. lol
 I see us needing 2 Quality OB`s, 2 ILB`s, a Deep safety, a NT/rush DT, and another Top CB.
 That is a REBUILD of the 1st order.

First off, if it's just the defense, It's not a rebuild. A rebuild is when your roster is bare on offense and defense. 

And we have Vontae(he's not a ?), Henry Anderson, Langford, Geathers, and maybe TJ Green.(big maybe on him) I like the word overhaul more.

10 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

We will still have the least talented roster in our Division. Winning three games Again in our Division will be very tough next season.

To be fair, we don't need the most talented roster in our division. We just need a competitive one. Luck puts a competitive roster on top of the division by default.

I don't think it's unrealistic to expect 2-3 difference makers in FA and 2-3 starters in the draft. Adding 4-6 guys that can impact the game day 1 will be huge for the defense.

3 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

Walden has been pretty steady since he got here. He had his best season this year no doubt with the 11 sacks. If he could be signed for reasonable I would be for bringing him back. But, I could also see Ballard wanting to go a different direction.

If he does get re-signed, I wouldn't anticipate anything more than a 1-year deal.

1 hour ago, braveheartcolt said:

Double post, sorry. Anyway, what I am finding rather amusing is that all we need to do is draft young, and get a few good FA's, and in a few seasons we will be a SB contending team. If only it was that easy........

Umm.. that's how it works.. put talent around our franchise qb and in a couple years we will contenders.

21 hours ago, masterlock said:

I don't know why people seem so eager to get rid of Mike Adams. He showed he can still play in 2016, and I doubt we'll find a better free agent for the price. I don't see anyone on the roster that could match his level of play. 

Art Jones, on the other hand, is a waste of roster space, and the Colts can clear up a significant chunk of cash by releasing him.

That's not what i meant. Mike Adams played great in 2016 and I hope he comes back but I only mentioned his name because I think CB might want a someone younger to replace him. 

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

7-8 more talented through FA.  That is :headspin:
 Rookies lack of Experience = :facepalm:

No....7-8 thru FA and, most definitely, the draft.  I'm pretty sure the expectation will be for a first and second rounder to come in, play immediately, and have an impact.

So, in 2017, if a first rounder is used at OLB and a second rounder is used at CB, and they can't exceed the production that Robert Mathis and Patrick Robinson gave us in 2016, for instance, then we are in for a very tough road with Chris Ballard as GM.

That is asinine to say that there wouldn't be rookies out there that could come in next year and far exceed the horrific level of play that some of the vets on this team provided last year.

14 hours ago, Virtuoso80 said:

adams, mcnary, cole and kerr are free agents no need to cut them

I know, would be quite the statement if he came out and said we have no interest in resigning these players. 

I know it won't happen but it would make me feel good inside...

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I hear what you're saying, but the Seahawks were able to turn things around very quickly after their 7-9 season in 2011. Just last year, the Falcons were 8-8, this year they were in the Super Bowl. The year before, the Panthers were 7-8-1, went 15-1 the next season, and appeared in the Super Bowl.

I'm not holding my breath for a Super Bowl appearance next year, but that type of quick turnaround actually happens a lot in the NFL, especially when the franchise QB is already in place and locked down long-term.

And it doesn't happen a lot more. But with Mr 12, we could do it.

1 hour ago, MacDee1975 said:

No....7-8 thru FA and, most definitely, the draft.  I'm pretty sure the expectation will be for a first and second rounder to come in, play immediately, and have an impact.

So, in 2017, if a first rounder is used at OLB and a second rounder is used at CB, and they can't exceed the production that Robert Mathis and Patrick Robinson gave us in 2016, for instance, then we are in for a very tough road with Chris Ballard as GM.

That is asinine to say that there wouldn't be rookies out there that could come in next year and far exceed the horrific level of play that some of the vets on this team provided last year.

Yes!

Furthermore, I don't recall anyone in our division, or not in our division for that matter, shutting our offense down.  It was our defense that lost us games.  So improved defense = fewer points scored by our opponents.  Rookies can absolutely accomplish that.

1 hour ago, MacDee1975 said:

This draft is deep in defense across the board. I was reading yesterday (wish I had the link) that capable GMs will be able to find defensive starters as late as the 5th round. That could bode well for teams like the Colts that will desperately need rookies to step up and produce on that side of the ball.

9 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

This draft is deep in defense across the board. I was reading yesterday (wish I had the link) that capable GMs will be able to find defensive starters as late as the 5th round. That could bode well for teams like the Colts that will desperately need rookies to step up and produce on that side of the ball.

Sort of suggests taking Cook in the 1st. if he's there.  Also trading back in the 1st. and taking McCaffrey and getting an extra 2nd.  Then loading up on defense and maybe finding starters in the 2nd. and 3rd. rounds. 

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

Yea, but a misleading statistic. Partly means you're on the field longer than most others.

Correct.  Someone has to make a tackle on nearly every play.  A high tackle total isn't really that impressive if it's nearly always after a play where the offense has had productive yardage.

27 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It would be nice if all felt sorry for us and gave us two picks per round.... that would about do it, lol.

I hope they are right on a serious note.

23 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Interesting Move

Looks like CB wants to get the D younger

Hopefully faster.  I appreciate what DQ did here as a 'stop-gap' signing.  However, I think for our D to succeed we need to have guys at MLB that can move a bit better than DQ.  I'm not sure Morrison is the answer, or if we have the answer on our current roster (doubtful as our only ILBs now are Luke Rhodes, Deon King, Morrison and Edwin Jackson -- I think Jackson has some potential, at least).

22 hours ago, CR91 said:

No surprise. It makes too much sense from a financial prospective. Art Jones is next and probably gore too.

I think Gore still has another solid year or 2 in him, and tend to doubt that he's going to get released.  We don't really have a proven RB (Turbin and Todman were solid last year in their roles, and Ferguson had a few bright moments, but none of the three has proven they can be an every down back and we've got more pressing needs right now than RB that need fixed in the draft/FA). 

I wouldn't mind seeing Art Jones get released, but he showed last year he is willing to take a pay cut and I don't know we're going to find anyone better for any cheaper than him.

22 hours ago, Restored said:

Sends a couple of messages:

-PED use and things of that nature could possibly be more scrutinized under Ballard than with Grigson.

-Team is looking to get younger on defense.

Solid move.

I think team is looking to get younger and faster... I won't be shocked to see Adams get back on a 1 year deal, because his play hasn't really been dimishing and he hasn't shown signs of the need to use PEDs to try to get back to his old-self.

DQ has been diminishing, IMO, and I wouldn't be shocked if he took PEDs to try to reduce the rate of his decline.

8 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Hopefully faster.  I appreciate what DQ did here as a 'stop-gap' signing.  However, I think for our D to succeed we need to have guys at MLB that can move a bit better than DQ.  I'm not sure Morrison is the answer, or if we have the answer on our current roster (doubtful as our only ILBs now are Luke Rhodes, Deon King, Morrison and Edwin Jackson -- I think Jackson has some potential, at least).

I think Gore still has another solid year or 2 in him, and tend to doubt that he's going to get released.  We don't really have a proven RB (Turbin and Todman were solid last year in their roles, and Ferguson had a few bright moments, but none of the three has proven they can be an every down back and we've got more pressing needs right now than RB that need fixed in the draft/FA). 

I wouldn't mind seeing Art Jones get released, but he showed last year he is willing to take a pay cut and I don't know we're going to find anyone better for any cheaper than him.

I think team is looking to get younger and faster... I won't be shocked to see Adams get back on a 1 year deal, because his play hasn't really been dimishing and he hasn't shown signs of the need to use PEDs to try to get back to his old-self.

DQ has been diminishing, IMO, and I wouldn't be shocked if he took PEDs to try to reduce the rate of his decline.

A rookie contract would be cheaper and if the rookie plays all season he would be better than Art Jones.  I hope he gets cut.... end of story.

10 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I think Gore/Turbin/Hunt(4th round) would be a great RB group. Like you said Gore still has a year left. And Turbin had 8 TDs on limited carries and was the 2nd best blocking RB by PFF. Throw in a nice late round back like Kamara or Hunt and it's good backfield imo. 

2 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I think Gore/Turbin/Hunt(4th round) would be a great RB group. Like you said Gore still has a year left. And Turbin had 8 TDs on limited carries and was the 2nd best blocking RB by PFF. Throw in a nice late round back like Kamara or Hunt and it's good backfield imo. 

I said I was done quoting you today but I lied.

I think they finally figured out that Turbin is a great option on short yardage downs.  I hope they remember it next year.  

Agree with Hunt!

29 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

I said I was done quoting you today but I lied.

I think they finally figured out that Turbin is a great option on short yardage downs.  I hope they remember it next year.  

Agree with Hunt!

Lol quote me as much as ya want. I like having conversations/debates on here. And I agree, Turbin has also said he really wants to come back. Said he has unfinished business here. 

4 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Lol quote me as much as ya want. I like having conversations/debates on here. And I agree, Turbin has also said he really wants to come back. Said he has unfinished business here. 

I saw that!!!! and it gives me a kinda warm fuzzy feeling to hear that sort of enthusiasm from someone like him especially.... meaning that he has been moved once already, but knows his role here and wants to help out.  That to me is awesome.  I sure hope we keep him for a good while.  What do you think... he reminds me a bit of Domonic Rhodes... Build and running style.  With a better line who knows how good he might end up. 

9 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

I saw that!!!! and it gives me a kinda warm fuzzy feeling to hear that sort of enthusiasm from someone like him especially.... meaning that he has been moved once already, but knows his role here and wants to help out.  That to me is awesome.  I sure hope we keep him for a good while.  What do you think... he reminds me a bit of Domonic Rhodes... Build and running style.  With a better line who knows how good he might end up. 

Not sure really.. he is a strong back, but also has some speed. And I think that it's awesome too.

2 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

A rookie contract would be cheaper and if the rookie plays all season he would be better than Art Jones.  I hope he gets cut.... end of story.

We'd likely have to go with a first or 2nd rounder to be confident we'd be bringing in someone better than Jones.

We also have more pressing needs, IMO, such as ILB, OLB, DB (I would rather see us use an early draft pick on a 2nd cover CB if one is available than on a DL).

21 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

First off, if it's just the defense, It's not a rebuild. A rebuild is when your roster is bare on offense and defense. 

And we have Vontae(he's not a ?), Henry Anderson, Langford, Geathers, and maybe TJ Green.(big maybe on him) I like the word overhaul more.

Vontae is consistently banged up and was average as a result the last two seasons. The question mark is can he return to health and regain his 2014 form. It's only going to get harder from here.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The contract that Grigson signed was with the intention of likely releasing DQ this offseason.

Anybody who understands the NFL saw DQs release coming this offseason back when the contract was signed, regardless who is the GM now.

Don't let facts get in the way of the hatin'.....