Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts release D’Qwell Jackson

Everyone

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured he would've been a cap casualty, but it still caught me off guard. He played well for us, but we have to get younger. Despite his recent suspension, I still have the utmost respect for DQ. You can question his age and ability, but never his heart.

45 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

I had a feeling they would cut him, even the underpants gnomes probably could've seen this in their master plan.

Phase 1 - Cut DQ

Phase 2 - ???????????

Phase 3 - Profit

Phase 2 is always, underpants. 

5 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

They really couldnt keep him at that price

I think they also figured he was getting up there in age and maybe was playing with "help" to boot ? Can't cover is another issue. I'm thinking he would have agreed to a pay cut , so IMO , not just a cap issue.

6 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I mean, I don't disagree with the move, but it wasn't one that was NECESSARY. Yeah, it frees up that cap space, but it's not like we were in need of it. For a guy who had made his intention of building through the draft clear, he's sure gonna have to make a lot of plays in free agency, or one really, really big one.

He also made it pretty clear that hes going to take his time to do it right.  I don't think this is going to be a one off-season fix.  I think he's going to tear it down outside of a core group of players, almost all of which are on offense and pretty much start over, which is what GMs do.  

Thats why I don't think keeping Pagano for this year was that big of a deal to him because he's probably going to treat it like a rebuilding year anyways and then knows if he wants his own coach he can go get one.

Yes he will have to spend money and maybe he will bring in big fish but if he does I bet it's a young fish as that seems to be what he is focused on doing, getting younger and more talented.  

9 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yup. It wouldn't surprise me. Like the poster you responded to said, no one on defense is really safe. There isn't one guy who has absolutely proven that they're a keeper. Even the young guys on cheap rookie deals. We could have an entirely new starting defense in September.

It's possible we have several free agents on defense anyway. I doubt we see many of our current FA's re-signed.

Jack Doyle, Darius Butler and Erik Walden all deserve new contracts. One could make a case for Mike Adams getting a 1 year deal but I bet Ballard decides to go with youth there.

Art Jones and Patrick Robinson are logical choices to be let go. I think everyone else is safe. JMO

17 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

It's possible we have several free agents on defense anyway. I doubt we see many of our current FA's re-signed.

Jack Doyle, Darius Butler and Erik Walden all deserve new contracts. One could make a case for Mike Adams getting a 1 year deal but I bet Ballard decides to go with youth there.

Art Jones and Patrick Robinson are logical choices to be let go. I think everyone else is safe. JMO

I think it really depends on how this draft and FA goes. A guy like Langford may be gone in favor of youth. But even someone young like Green COULD be shown the door if he decides to re-vamp the safety position.

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think it really depends on how this draft and FA goes. A guy like Langford may be gone in favor of youth. But even someone young like Green COULD be shown the door if he decides to re-vamp the safety position.

Langford is a tough one. He's produced in the past. Green, honestly I think this guy was a mistake from the get go. I don't think he'll amount to anything.

14 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

This guy reminds me of another Colt Safety who was drafted fairly high and never did pan out....Idrees Bashir

9 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

Nice guy, but needs to go young....Maybe the Colts can use him as an assistant LB coach or something.

What's up with fans offering up staff positions for released players?

I know some may feel sorry for the dude(I honestly don't why), but come on now. 

13 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I don't think this is about PEDs use being more scrutinized.  I think it's just about the value.  DQ's performance is not worth $5 mil at this point, so it makes more sense to cut him than keep him.  Even if he didn't get busted for PEDs, this would have been the smart move.

I think he also (somehow) got a vote to be 1st team All-Pro that year

Value was the major part of it but the PED's certainly aided in the team's decision to let him go.

4 hours ago, ManningGM said:

full?d=1480047292

Take a look at the CB's paid between $8-10 million in this league and tell me with a straight face you'd take any of them over Vontae. 

He had a down year but he's still a #1 corner on a team with zero pash rush. Hard to be very successful in that environment.

5 hours ago, theanarchist said:

I agree on Butler & Doyle, but I doubt Walden gets a new deal. He's had one good season & he's 31, hard to justify a new contract IMO.

18 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Lol isn't ilb, olb, cb already immediate needs currently

It's difficult for us to gauge immediate needs because we don't know if they are trying to win now or rebuild. Conrad Brunner told JMV that Irsay said that he'd rather have a couple of down years to get younger and build a team for the future than risk going 8-8 again. I think we get younger in a hurry through the draft and FA and not break the bank on older players. 

3 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

It's difficult for us to gauge immediate needs because we don't know if they are trying to win now or rebuild. Conrad Brunner told JMV that Irsay said that he'd rather have a couple of down years to get younger and build a team for the future than risk going 8-8 again. I think we get younger in a hurry through the draft and FA and not break the bank on older players. 

We just had a couple down years, and accumulated some young players that can hopefully develope. I doubt we will be competing for the superbowl this year, but I doubt it's just strictly a rebuilding year too. He also said "the defense needs a lot of work." So really not that hard to gauge immediate needs imo. 

8 hours ago, dw49 said:

I think they also figured he was getting up there in age and maybe was playing with "help" to boot ? Can't cover is another issue. I'm thinking he would have agreed to a pay cut , so IMO , not just a cap issue.

You'd have to agree that the idea of cutting someone is to remove his salary, right?

....and since he was starting.....I'd have to disagree........they simply didn't like the price going forward

4 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

You'd have to agree that the idea of cutting someone is to remove his salary, right?

....and since he was starting.....I'd have to disagree........they simply didn't like the price going forward

Yeah.. different opinions make the world go around and yours is valid here... as is mine.

The idea of cutting someone is not always just a case of "removing salary." It's often used to remove a player from your roster to just move on with a younger or better player. There are plenty of players with small salaries that are cut and some have been starters. Usually this involves older players that are showing less efficient play. Yes Jackson was starting but he couldn't cover and missed tackles like the rest of this defense . Looking at our 2016 roster , I think the competition for 1 of the 2 ILB spots was horrible.. easily the worst in the NFL ? 

So I'll stick to my point that there is no doubt the Colts could have had Jackson back at a very reduced price. He seemed to like playing in Indy and he for sure knows he is 100% certain to have to sign for far less than the 5.5 mill his contract called for. It's a bad defense that needs retooling. When GM's do this they normally get rid of older players that would project to play even worse the following year. All I'm saying is that the Colts probably didn't want Jackson back at any price as he more than likely would have agreed to a substantial pay cut. 

39 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

We just had a couple down years, and accumulated some young players that can hopefully develope. I doubt we will be competing for the superbowl this year, but I doubt it's just strictly a rebuilding year too. He also said "the defense needs a lot of work." So really not that hard to gauge immediate needs imo. 

This was coming directly from Irsay's mouth right after Ballard's presser and that tells me that competing next season isn't the priority for the organization. So don't be surprised if more veteran players are released or not re-signed and they go after younger players in free agency that they think they can develop vs spending millions on immediate impact players to try and win right now. 

Honestly that's why I think Pagano was retained  as a fill in for the next coach. 

18 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

This was coming directly from Irsay's mouth right after Ballard's presser and that tells me that competing next season isn't the priority for the organization. So don't be surprised if more veteran players are released or not re-signed and they go after younger players in free agency that they think they can develop vs spending millions on immediate impact players to try and win right now. 

Honestly that's why I think Pagano was retained  as a fill in for the next coach. 

They werent any good when these guys played, the defense will improve next season. 

2 hours ago, deedub75 said:

That's what we need. We need to get rid of the bandaids and start getting young playmakers. Like I said I doubt we will compete for the SB next year but it also won't just strictly be a rebuild year. 

11 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

That's what we need. We need to get rid of the bandaids and start getting young playmakers. Like I said I doubt we will compete for the SB next year but it also won't just strictly be a rebuild year. 

We have a team full of bandaids and ripping them all of would denote a rebuild. 

14 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

It's definitely not Super Bowl or bust, but I expect that the Colts will be more competitive next season than they were the past 2, at least on defense. Overhauling the LB corps alone, even if it is all rookies, will be a huge upgrade to the slow, non-tackling, inept in coverage LBs we've had to watch for what seems like an eternity.

The bad things, Dq was a good leader, and our best LB. The good is hes old and not very good, Colts LBer play this year was HORRIBLE!!! DQ thanks for all you have done, interesting to see how Ballard tries to clean up the LB position both at ILB and OLB. Given the PED thing not a real surprising move to me. AS far as Gore or Lankford. IMO they both stay. Landford probably becomes the leader of the defense, & something tells me he brings Walden back as maybe an LLB? Going to be fun to watch!!

You still believe in the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus, right?

You still believe in the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus, right?l

14 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Double post, sorry. Anyway, what I am finding rather amusing is that all we need to do is draft young, and get a few good FA's, and in a few seasons we will be a SB contending team. If only it was that easy........

I hear what you're saying, but the Seahawks were able to turn things around very quickly after their 7-9 season in 2011. Just last year, the Falcons were 8-8, this year they were in the Super Bowl. The year before, the Panthers were 7-8-1, went 15-1 the next season, and appeared in the Super Bowl.

I'm not holding my breath for a Super Bowl appearance next year, but that type of quick turnaround actually happens a lot in the NFL, especially when the franchise QB is already in place and locked down long-term.