Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Looks like Pep's staying...

bavanlan

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to have him back.  The idea of Luck and the other young players in a third offense in as many years didn't excite me very much.  I also look forward to seeing what he can do with all hands on deck which he didn't really have this year.  We'll get a chance to finally see Luck and other young guys (including Pep) progress in a system rather than trying to learn the offense over again. 

One of the things that got over looked a Grigson's Presser today was that he said as of today only Vanderbilt had asked to talk with Pep, no other teams, college or pro had called about any other coaches.  It doesn't mean another team wont call (maybe the Lions want to talk to Christensen about their OC job for an example) but for now no one else has. 

How is Pep Hamilton conservative? That word gets used on this forum WAYY too often.

It's become code for most fans when they don't like what was called.  Not saying that's what Mark was trying to do here but I have seen a lot just say the offense is conservative when they just don't like what is called. 

It's become code for most fans when they don't like what was called.  Not saying that's what Mark was trying to do here but I have seen a lot just say the offense is conservative when they just don't like what is called. 

There have been some questionable calls, especially in the beginning of the season. I think Pep called some of his best games starting with the second half of the Bengals game. That said, I would like to see better second half adjustments all the way around next semester.

There have been some questionable calls, especially in the beginning of the season. I think Pep called some of his best games starting with the second half of the Bengals game. That said, I would like to see better second half adjustments all the way around next semester.

All the second half comebacks seems to suggest that they have done very well with second half adjustments.  This is the kind of thing I was talking about before.  People tend to see what they want to see and if what the Colts did didn't work then people either say they were too conservative or they didn't adjust.  Honestly this was very much a second half-time this past year.  So I don't think the second half adjustments are the issues.  The issues were the slow starts as to why they were in those holes to start with.  I also don't think all those slow starts were a product of being too conservative either as was pointed out early today we had the same pass to run ratio we had last year under Arians at 60 to 40 in favor of the pass. 

Now that doesn't mean Pep was perfect.  I would agree he had his fair share of questionable calls this past year but so did Arians the year before or any OC for that matter when you are talking about the whole course of a season.  I do think Pep was young and made mistakes because of that as well.  However, he also had some very real injury issues that a lot of people just tend to brush off like no big deal when in reality he was always having to adjust the offense on the fly because of those injuries and frankly did it well enough for this team to win 11 games this past year and a playoff game thanks in large part to the offense because it wasn't like they were riding the defense to most of those wins. 

Honestly, there is a big double standard here with a lot of fans (and I am not saying you are one of them or not) that when we win the players played great and when we lose it's all the coaches fault and most don't like to say the coaches coached a very good game when we win or that the players didn't execute the game plan very well when we lose. 

Yea I don't get it either. I've seen Pep throw the deep ball, end-arounds, and isn't afraid to let Luck run the ball. Yea, we run the ball a little more than we should, but when we have Ryan Grigson signing Trent Richardson, I'd bet a dollar to a donut Pep is being TOLD we need to run the ball. I know he ran the ball a lot in Stanford, but I'm sure he knows the run game isn't working like it should, hence why we passed a lot more in the playoffs.

Pep is doing all he can.

I'd like to see better first half adjustments, to be honest. It doesn't take that long to figure out that your run-first, run-often approach isn't working. It's not like the coaches go into the lockerroom and switch the play sheets, then come out with the better plays in the second half.

I get what the coaches are trying to do, and to a certain extent, I agree with it. You don't just snap your fingers and become a good running team. You have to work at it, and put the stuff into practice in games. Then you have to watch film to see what's working, what's not working, and make tweaks and adjustments as the season goes on. That's why I'm not all that upset about us trying to run the ball. But there comes a point in a game, maybe the second or third series, when you're digging a 7-0, 10-0, 14-0 hole for yourself, where you say "that's enough, let's get this thing going now." It doesn't take halftime to have that epiphany. And maybe you don't even have to come out with the heavy run stuff at the start of the game. 

The way we adjusted after the Bengals game was terrific. It just shouldn't have taken six consecutive weeks of terrible first halves to figure that out. I'm hoping those lessons translate over to next season so that they don't have to be learned again.

I like Peps mind and I trust he will continue to evolve with more experience at OC.  We will be a really dangerous offense next year with all our injured people coming back plus more improvements on the O Line coming from the draft and free agency.  I like putting the ball in Lucks hands, but we have to make for darn sure that we are always able to be a very strong running team.

As we found out in the playoffs, there will come a time when passing the ball 40 to 50 times is not in your best interest. If we had the power running game available in that Patriots game we could have done the same thing to them that they did to us.  Sometimes it's not in your best interest to throw a whole bunch in certain conditions.

With an improved roster I can see us keeping Manusky on defense, but I wouldn't cry if a change was made at DC.

At this stage I'm not sure If I see one coming though.

I'd like to see better first half adjustments, to be honest. It doesn't take that long to figure out that your run-first, run-often approach isn't working. It's not like the coaches go into the lockerroom and switch the play sheets, then come out with the better plays in the second half.

I get what the coaches are trying to do, and to a certain extent, I agree with it. You don't just snap your fingers and become a good running team. You have to work at it, and put the stuff into practice in games. Then you have to watch film to see what's working, what's not working, and make tweaks and adjustments as the season goes on. That's why I'm not all that upset about us trying to run the ball. But there comes a point in a game, maybe the second or third series, when you're digging a 7-0, 10-0, 14-0 hole for yourself, where you say "that's enough, let's get this thing going now." It doesn't take halftime to have that epiphany. And maybe you don't even have to come out with the heavy run stuff at the start of the game. 

The way we adjusted after the Bengals game was terrific. It just shouldn't have taken six consecutive weeks of terrible first halves to figure that out. I'm hoping those lessons translate over to next season so that they don't have to be learned again.

I think Pep made the 1st half adjustment when the offense went into Hurry Up.  He was stubborn about the power football for far too long and went back to it at a critical point against the Pats and it backfired.  I think everyone wants him to open it up and let Luck throw 30 times per game.  

towards the end of the season and into the playoffs when he put the ball in lucks hand, this offense seemed a lot more explosive at times and some more creative plays can't wait till next season to see what pep does with these guys and how his system grows

Yeah, I hope he keeps it up. Something is telling me Pagano will be in his ear about going back to power running all game though

he's too conservative..buyt we have three Stanford guys who play key roles..

they know him..he knows them....

Its good he's staying

Don't be shocked if we sign a guy like Doug Baldwin from the Seahawks, another former Cardinal, and draft another Cardinal Shayne Skov for ILB position. :)

We will then officially be the NFL version of the Stanford Cardinals, LOL

Don't be shocked if we sign a guy like Doug Baldwin from the Seahawks, another former Cardinal, and draft another Cardinal Shayne Skov for ILB position. :)

We will then officially be the NFL version of the Stanford Cardinals, LOL

Pretty sure Jim tried to change our name to the Indianapolis Cardinal.

Of course it's sarcasm.

I'm not a huge fan of Pep but his play calling became alittle less obvious as the season progressed.

I'm just happy because we have stability. Colts just need some major improvements at the interior of the Oline.

With a dominate Oline, you can be somewhat predictable and it won't matter. I hear the Colts have nearly 30 million in salary cap space this upcoming season ;)