Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign LB Barkevious Mingo to 1-year deal

MTC

The Colts are going to have 90 players going into camp.

To say this player will be a bust or a star is way too pre mature. For the money he got if he fills a roster spot and can contribute then it is a good signing.

Just because the Colts haven't signed a big expensive free agent at this time doesn't warrant some to automatically assume this guy is a bust.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Except when you have no other linebackers currently on the roster.  As I said as things stand right now our starting olb would be Mingo and Ayers. 

and their both depth rotational players still the season is months away, you don't need to sign or get all of your starters the first few hours of FA in fact that's how many teams blow their cap, Redskins style.

39 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I don't see him having much of an impact he is more like a role player

He's not going to reshape our defense or anything, but he's long and athletic and can play multiple spots along the front. He's a good special teamer, also. I like the low risk with potential to turn into something, but I'm not holding my breath for him to be a cornerstone player.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

He's not going to reshape our defense or anything, but he's long and athletic and can play multiple spots along the front. He's a good special teamer, also. I like the low risk with potential to turn into something, but I'm not holding my breath for him to be a cornerstone player.

You mean every player we sign doesn't have to be a perennial pro bowler???

Blasphemy

50 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

He's alive! Just wondering where the heck you been. Miss those prospect write-ups you do this time of year.

I was going to say the same thing. Maybe he's like Beetlejuice and we said his name 3 times. haha

57 minutes ago, Superman said:

Like this. How do you feel about Taco Charlton? 

40 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

Very valid complaints by those who actually have a problem with this very minor transaction.  After all, who needs a guy like Mingo at OLB when you already have studs like Alex Bazzie, Levar Edwards and Deiontrez Mount locked up.

Honestly I have 0 problem with the signing as it is a minuscule amount of dinero but I guarantee that one of those scrubs would produce more than 0 sacks in 32 games like Mingo has. 

I think the talent is there for Mingo, if the Colts are planning on using him at ILB I don't see a reason he couldn't be a starter over Morrison pending on if he can stay healthy imo.  Obviously this all depends on whether or not they draft another backer, or bring another in via FA.  I wouldn't be shocked to see he's a starter or gets extended playtime as a 3rd ILB.

Guy was primarily just a ST for the Pats and had a solid rookie year and a career involving injures for the Browns.

3 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

He's alive! Just wondering where the heck you been. Miss those prospect write-ups you do this time of year.

Been really busy with work stuff. I might try to get a few out before draft time. 

Mingo had big time talent. I'm not expecting anything, but I mean there's always a Morris Claiborne, Nick Perry, etc type who are just late bloomers. I mean he has the talent to come in and break out and put up 12 plus sacks, but again. Not expecting it. We'll sign a couple ballers. Sheard, Barwin, Poe, Levy Hankins, High, Brown, Claiborne, etc. Several good players left. Barwin back in a 34 could come in and give us 10 sacks. I'd sign Barwin, Hightower, Lang, and Levy. Only one who should get any type of big money is High. Probably 4/40 or so. Barwin and Levy could probably be had on 1 year deals. But Levy and High would give us a monster duo at ILB.

Gotta fill the roster so I'd label this as the equivalent of signing a bottom level special teams type guy for a few more bucks because he may be able to fill in if needed for a few plays or a few quarters on D. 

7 hours ago, Superman said:

I had this idea. I almost mocked Mingo to us in my big mock, but went with Jarvis Jones instead. Mingo can probably play ILB also, though. Interesting signing, I think. 

I'd still take Jones on a similar contract. Throw in a Zach brown, Kevin minter, john Simon...maybe a jabaal sheard. If those ILBs don't work out, hell bring in a Gerald Hodges or even let Manti teo compete for a spot. And that's not even including the draft. We can still get something going here...definitely better than what we had last year at least. Lol

Looks like a good deal, at least he should contribute on ST.

I'm not convinced that spending big on one free agent LB is in the cards as we pretty much have to retool the entire LB group this off season. Only so much you can do in the draft when we also have to address CB, S, G and RB. 

So a couple of OLB + ILB free agents with decent upside and reasonable deals is what is going to happen, I think. Will still get an pass rusher in the draft for sure, but the line of thinking might be to get 3-4 LB players instead for one big proven starter and hope that two of them will be solid enough.

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Mingo had big time talent. I'm not expecting anything, but I mean there's always a Morris Claiborne, Nick Perry, etc type who are just late bloomers. I mean he has the talent to come in and break out and put up 12 plus sacks

If I'm looking for a diamond in the rough/reclamation project, I would generally stay away from a Belichick player.   Belichick, who made his name coaching Lawrence Taylor, failed with Mingo, a pass rusher, yet Chuck is going to coach him up and get 12 sacks out of him?

3 hours ago, James said:

How so?

It's not a dumpster dive. Ballard wants youth and to build through the draft. He wasn't going to do what Grigson used to and get an average 30 year old veteran on a long term contract. Mingo is just that. 1 year deal, young player, and won't cost much. Not every signing has to be a huge splash.