Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

*Updated* Colts sign Stephon Gilmore (Merge)

Smonroe

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

With this tweet I think we have to consider the possibility that we might be close to a deal, or even possibly, that we have a verbal agreement in place and are only waiting for the week after the draft when the signing won’t impact the formula for a complete pick. 

This tweet might just be the most important post of the day.    Thanks to @tvturner for the post. 

Yep that is my guess too.  I posted the same in another thread.    

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

You haven't seen zone corners play zone?   It's not like Flus asked them to speak Spanish and Gus is going to want them to speak German..    Your nonsense really knows no bounds. 

Yes, I've seen zone corners play zone.  What does that question have to do with what I've seen Rhodes and Gilmore do?

I can see when complex communication speaks to a speculative comparison between players, which I already set that landscape when I said that I don't watch Panthers games.  But I'm not on the spectrum, so I can comprehend that kind of stuff when communicating.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

With this tweet I think we have to consider the possibility that we might be close to a deal, or even possibly, that we have a verbal agreement in place and are only waiting for the week after the draft when the signing won’t impact the formula for a complete pick. 

This tweet might just be the most important post of the day.    Thanks to @tvturner for the post. 

I go the other way. I think they would want him under contract before the draft so they know now if that is a position that needs to be addressed in the draft. 

Plus a verbal agreement is another way of saying still on the market. 

9 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I go the other way. I think they would want him under contract before the draft so they know now if that is a position that needs to be addressed in the draft. 

I agree with NCF. It’s likely a deal is in place awaiting the running of the clock on losing comp picks. 

4 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I echo this.

I am pretty sure Ballard (if anyone with the McDaniels fiasco) should know that a verbal agreement or plan is not a signing and commitment.

If we are waiting for comp pick purposes to sign Gilmore until after the draft and then we pass on all these solid CBs in the draft and another team doesn't get the CB they thought they would in the draft and calls Gilmore's agent and gives a sweeter deal to him, he would be gone and we would be left at the altar again.

Is all of that worth a 6th round compensatory pick in the 210 range? Hell no. 

And right now the Colts are basically just sitting on a 6th round comp pick for Glowinski and that's it. 

And make no mistake, agents that talk about their players wanting to wait until after the draft....those agents are saying that for their clients that are not getting the money they feel they want/need/are entitled to. 

The obvious goal there is to wait till the draft is done to increase leverage and to get more money.

If anything, Gilmore waiting until after the draft to sign with the Colts would be a bad thing and likely mean we passed up all corners of note and need him even more and have to shell out more.

The best time to sign him is actually now before the draft where there is uncertainty and you hopefully lock him into a good but not great deal. 

7 hours ago, Solon said:

Gilmore would be a huge addition to the team. I haven't been this excited over a potential signing in a while. 

I’m in wait and see mode.  Gilmore of three years ago would be a huge addition.  I’m hoping that Gilmore of today is good in the new D, but I don’t expect them to ask the same things out of him.

As someone said earlier, at a minimum he’ll be a great veteran presence and mentor.  

On 4/14/2022 at 8:58 AM, shasta519 said:

Gilmore is the same age as Rhodes now. Rhodes was very good at age 30. Not so good at age 31.

Not all players are the same. But I do think Gilmore missing 14/33 games the past two seasons is not nothing. Might only be getting him for a percentage of the season. 

In the flurry of defending myself from attacks on my wording that others couldn't understand, I missed this fact-based post.  Thanks for supplying the actual numbers to support the issue some of us already surmised.  

Yes, performance is good, but missing that many games presents a risk that it doesn't solve the starting Corner problem for a series of games.  Like Rhodes last season, who was intended to be the starter but his nagging injuries forced younger Rodgers into the lineup more often than planned, I hope that if we sign Gilmore, that next season with him doesn't resemble this past season with Rhodes.

He has bounced around different teams and still remains unsigned, so I'm concerned about what his reputation is among GMs is at this point.

I think GMs don't like it when players air stuff in public.  And the end of this December 2021 article gives insight into his availability with CAR.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/panthers-cb-stephon-gilmore-explains-how-patriots-mishandled-his-injury

Patience pays off.  Colts have addressed their most major needs this off-season with exception of WR (which Ballard doesn’t seem to feel is as big of a need as some here do) and a long term answer at LT.  

Just now, PeterBowman said:

Hmmmm Ballard's patience paying off.

I mean it’s almost like he knows what he’s doing!

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Patience pays off.  Colts have addressed their most major needs this off-season with exception of WR (which Ballard doesn’t seem to feel is as big of a need as some here do) and a long term answer at LT.  

I mean it’s almost like he knows what he’s doing!

Patience?  Everyone wanted him to wait until after the draft except Tom Diggs and myself.  Ballard knew better. Lol

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Patience?  Everyone wanted him to wait until after the draft except Tom Diggs and myself.  Ballard knew better. Lol

Patience as in all the people losing their minds when Ballard didn’t sign people the first day of free agency.

Just now, colts89 said:

Nice. Good contract for a player who did well last year.

Yeah, he's 31.  But he's also been to 5 of the last 6 Pro Bowls and is just a few seasons removed from being DPOY.  Gilmore is a solid, solid cornerback -- even if he's on the homestretch of his career.

I really like the way our defense is shaping up.

Still very nervous about our plans for OL, tho.

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

What were the terms & how are we looking on remaining cap space?  Do we have room to pick up another free agent?

Comp update: Colts are giving CB Stephon Gilmore a two-year, 23 million deal including $14 million guaranteed, per source.

3 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Now sign Landry please. 

Absolutely.  Hopefully he moves onto Landry now.  I would expect a similar two year arrangement.   Different dollars of course.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Patience as in all the people losing their minds when Ballard didn’t sign people the first day of free agency.

We’re talking about Gilmore here.

Just now, Smoke317 said:

What were the terms & how are we looking on remaining cap space?  Do we have room to pick up another free agent?

I hope that we get a WR in FA, and maybe another S

I would LOVE to go into the draft and be able to take BPA

16 hours ago, DougDew said:

I have never seen either play in the same defensive scheme.  I have never seen Gilmore play in Flus defense.  I have never seen either Gilmore or Rhodes play in Gus' defense.  So my comparison of Gilmore being better than Rhodes was just general speculation.  As I would think anybody would be doing since they haven't seen the stuff I just mentioned either.  I didn't think of it as more than an off the cuff look or worthy of much discussion, but apparently the general comparison strikes some nerves for some reason. 

When you're that good of a player it doesn't matter what scheme you're in....either you're playing zone or man coverage and gilmore is great at both it's not rocket science 

• Shive changed the title to *Updated* Colts sign Stephon Gilmore (Merge)
5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Absolutely.  Hopefully he moves onto Landry now.  I would expect a similar two year arrangement.   Different dollars of course.

We’re talking about Gilmore here.

Yes and my post addresses Gilmore.  Ballard used to patience and still got a good player late in free agency.  He knows what he is doing despite what several were saying the first couple of days of free agency.  If we agree Ballard knows what he is doing why are you trying to pick a fight?

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think he’s talking about right now.  Gilmore isn’t the player he once was.   So there are questions as to just how good he is now and how much he can really help the Colts.  Not that he isn’t better than Rhodes,  but how much better? 

One bad season doesn't sum up where his skill set is at the moment....he was traded to carolina on a low ball offer I'm pretty sure if he had it his way he wouldn't have played with the panthers because they're trash anyway he has what our defense is looking for in this secondary 

2 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

One bad season doesn't sum up where his skill set is at the moment....he was traded to carolina on a low ball offer I'm pretty sure if he had it his way he wouldn't have played with the panthers because they're trash anyway he has what our defense is looking for in this secondary 

Hey, I’m glad we signed him.   I’m just saying the 2022 Gilmore isn’t the 2019 Gilmore who was the Defensive player of the year.   He’s still very good, just not quite as good. 

Archived