Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The total picture: Where are the Colts lacking

Four2itus

It's hard to be objective, when so many things are going wrong. Each thing that goes wrong, can affect other aspects of the game. As we all know, lack of front four pressure affects the back seven...and so on. 

It is obvious that the Colts are playing poorly in many facets of their game. Also, different facets have let the team down at different times during the season.  There is much wrong. There is also a great deal of depth being forced into play and could be quite beneficial down the road. 

So, here is a list.........and have a go at discussing the order of what is struggling the worst currently...

QB

Special teams returning

Special teams kicking

offensive line

Defensive line

Secondary

WR's

TE's

RB's

Offensive playcalling

Defensive playcalling

Offensively the Colts can use help all over and that starts with QB. Although it might not be ideal I do think the Colts starting QB next year will be Jacoby. I dont see Ballard reaching on a QB prospect in early rounds when we need help in so many other positions.

On offense it's no secret Colts need some talented skill players. WR to me is at the top of the list. Pascal and Johnson have shown flashes, but teams arent afraid of them. TY is 30 and is entering the back end of his career too. I personally hope Ballard double dips and gets a WR in the early rounds and spends some coin on a guy like Cooper. 

I think Ebron is as food as gone and if that's the case you need an athletic pass catching TE that can stretch the middle of the field. A couple names worth watching in free agency would be Austin Hooper or Hunter Henry. Either would be nice options to pair with Doyle.

As for the RB position I think you need an upgrade their as well. Mack has a problem staying on the field and has really regressed the 2nd half of the season. Hines has been underwhelming, and Wilkins can kick rocks imo.

There are a few big names hitting the free agent market, but as we all know Ballard most likely wont spend big on a RB. With that being said I still think you have to consider some of these guys if the price is right. Derek Henry will most likely get a new contract, but I'd jump all over him if he was to hit the open market. I'll be interested to see what happens with the Chargers RBs. Gordon is a URFA who wants a big deal, and Eckler is restricted but either would be nice in Blue. 2 other names to watch is Kenyan Drake and David Johnson. Drake is a URFA but has played pretty well for AZ since they traded for him. DJ has been unhappy with his touches, and while he isnt a FA the Cards could sign Drake and look to move on from DJ. DJ behind this oline would be fun. 

Defensively I think the main priority is DT followed by pass rushers and CB help. If they can get a stud DT I think it's going to help the entire defense out. This is the position I'd be looking for with our 1st round pick.

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It all starts at QB I’m afraid 

Agreed. A competent QB improves the oline blocking by being accurate, decisive and ability to read what’s coming early. He also improves his receivers by anticipating where they break and open, being accurate when throwing and helping receivers catch balls in their vision, not behind them or into the ground or making them leap 2 feet to catch. A competent qb opens up the run game because teams can’t just stack and blitz knowing you either can’t see it or you can’t hit your hot read, if he knows we have one. A competent qb helps the defense because even when you can’t score on every series, at least you can get a few first downs and give the defense rest and hope for their next series. If they have no faith that you can either score or even get a first down, spirits break quicker and no doubt they wear down quicker. 

coaching has not helped JB look any better than he has but maybe this is it and you can’t dumb it down any more. This may be JB’s ceiling which begs the question, why is he still the starter with that knowledge. Either Kelly is terrible in practice or the coaching staff really believe they see traits in JB they can correct. I just can’t see football IQ in JB over this season, healthy or injured. This team feels poorly ran with how they’ve handled Vinny and with a poorly performing JB over multiple games so far. I just think your elite teams make a change well before now, especially on marginal type players. JB was never going to be a superstar, he was hopefully going to be capable of allowing guys around him to perform. JB doesn’t get them close to being allowed to perform well cause he either can’t find them or he can’t hit them. Coaching needs to evaluate themselves here. 

special teams, that staff needs cut and new hires brought in. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

Luck hid so many deficiencies 

I agree. This forum definitely appreciates him a lot more now now that we've seen life without him. The alternative is pretty terrible. In retrospect, I apologize to him for bashing him on not beating the Pats. He was keeping the team going. If only we had him now. I can only pray he comes back next year.

• Like 2

Isn’t it crazy that we think after the draft we’re much closer to a complete team? Then after a few games and injuries you see the glaring holes and there’s almost the same amount, if not, more holes than before the draft. I’d say we need a Day 1 QB who can play right away, another day 1 WR, big athletic middle d-line, day 1 corner, another pass rusher and Kicker. 

14 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Isn’t it crazy that we think after the draft we’re much closer to a complete team? Then after a few games and injuries you see the glaring holes and there’s almost the same amount, if not, more holes than before the draft. I’d say we need a Day 1 QB who can play right away, another day 1 WR, big athletic middle d-line, day 1 corner, another pass rusher and Kicker. 

your key word there is injuries. Once again, the Colts are amongst the most injured teams. We've changed trainers, doctors, coaches, only thing left to look at is the fields. That's literally the only thing left.

Good news is that while we do have holes, we're young enough to have some time to sort those out.

Just take a quick look around the league and you’ll see that QB is our main issue. Most of the playoff teams have good to great QB play. Look at what Tannehill has done for the titans. He’s making the players around him better. You think AJ Brown would be having success with mariota? I don’t think so. Until we improve the QB position, I’m not sure we’ll be any better. I like JB and was one hoping he could succeed but I think we’ve seen what he brings to the table. We’ve got the picks to go up and get anyone not named burrow. Ballard has a lot of work to do. 

• Like 1

There's What We Need.  And then there's What We Can Draft.  And after that, What Holes We Fill In Free Agency.

I think that we need WR, DL3T, DL1T, QB, OT, CB in that order.  But you never know if you can draft them, in that order.  And free agency is trickier than simply going out and buying what you want.  They have to agree to the contract, too.  And you know that you will always be paying far more than what you're getting.

Last night shined a bright light on this team.  Yes, we made improvements.  Yes, we added young players that are capable of starting.  But we just played a championship caliber team.  And we're nowhere near that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After watching the first half of the Colts-Saints game last night it was quite obvious that the team was not prepared to play last night. Who's fault is that...that would be the coaches fault but other than that they are missing a lot of pieces and I find that is the fault of the general manager and the owner. Why have all that cap space and not go out and get players that will help. The way I look at it is they need the following in the off-season before they are going to be able to compete in this league again...quarterback, another running back to go along with Mack, another tight end to go along with Doyle, wide receiver as the only one they really have right now is Hilton, a run stuffer on defense so they can get some bulk in the middle,  a shut down corner back and pass rusher. Other than that they are fine! I think they should trade Brissett and get draft picks for him as ever since he has been hurt he has played scared. He is not the savior for this team. Chris Ballard and Jim Irsay if you read these boards I am sure you see what everyone else sees in that this team is not going to compete with the talent that is on this squad now. The only thing that they have going for it right now is the offensive line and I am sure somehow or another that will get screwed up as well. Draft a quarterback in the first round and then get the other pieces the team needs and spend that cap money to put a competitive team on the field!

Upset fan but long time Colts follower.

DT, WR, DT, some kind of DB that does something besides stand around and make a QB "shiver in their shoes" at the thought of the DB being back there. lmao

Don't expect any Qb who replaces JB to be able to win a shootout, or to consistently place the ball with pinpoint accuracy. 

So we need a defense, and we need a ball handler who can do something on his own when he gets the ball.  Maybe break a few tackles and score without being schemed to do it.  Two would be better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its the finding-a-good-QB part that's complicated. 

they need to try, standing pat will never get us anywhere.  the team already has a good line, this isnt one of those times where a new qb will really struggle

plus a DT or whatever wont change the win total nearly as much as a QB will

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Four2itus said:

It's hard to be objective, when so many things are going wrong. Each thing that goes wrong, can affect other aspects of the game. As we all know, lack of front four pressure affects the back seven...and so on. 

It is obvious that the Colts are playing poorly in many facets of their game. Also, different facets have let the team down at different times during the season.  There is much wrong. There is also a great deal of depth being forced into play and could be quite beneficial down the road. 

So, here is a list.........and have a go at discussing the order of what is struggling the worst currently...

QB

Special teams returning

Special teams kicking

offensive line

Defensive line

Secondary

WR's

TE's

RB's

Offensive playcalling

Defensive playcalling

Personally I like the roster overall.  My list is pretty short.

need to find starters

QB - Obviously, I (and others) posted on here about JB's shortcomings even when it appeared he was playing well.

Pass rushing DT - I watched the Dline pretty closely last night (watching brees complete every pass thrown or getting a penalty when the pass was incomplete was not fun).  I think the Colts have their run stuffing DT in Stewart... he was doubled just about every time he was in the game.  But they need to replace Autry or at least get someone ahead of him.

DE to replace/spell Houston Sheard.  It doesn't really show up on the stat sheet but both played pretty well last night but both got gassed and there was a huge drop off when they were not in the game.

FS - They won't because Hooker is still on his rookie deal but he is just not a good safety.  I wasn't a fan of his when the Colts drafted him and he really hasn't done anything to warrant a starting job with the Colts

TE - I know Doyle just signed a new contract but the Colts need that second TE threat.  We saw last night that Doyle is not going to be a coverage LB playing man to man.  That's fine, that is not his game.  

LS - Rhodes is all over the place with his punt and FG snaps.  I would like to see the Colts replace him.

Unfortunately for the Colts the top 2 on my list also happen to be the two hardest positions to find

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

other than that, I like the WR group with Hilton, Pascal, Campbell, Fountain (yes Fountain) and M. Johnson. Because, yes I am one of those people that think young players can, and often, do improve from one year to the next.

The oline can always use depth but with Andrews and Haeg and the primary backups the Colts are in good shape.

The CBs are in excellent shape with Moore, Desir (although Desir has not played well since coming back from injury), and Tell. (Unlike most, I don't think it's reasonable to have starting quality CBs in the 5th and 6th spots.

LB - The Colts are pretty much set.  Adding/improving depth is always good but they have 4 starting quality LBers.

RBs are in good shape.  I'm not a fan of Wilkins but I think Mack, Hines and Williams next year will forma  good trio.

I think the Colts found the kicker they want, so I'm good with sticking with McLaughlin.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Maniac said:

QB first.

Why did Ballard take this job?  Why did he turn down other jobs and take this one?  Because he had a QB.  

Get a QB first and worry about everything else later.  Nothing matters until you have a QB.

QB, WR, D Line.  Secondary play would improve by having ANY semblance of pass rush.  They do need improvement too but the pressure normally borders somewhere between pathetic and indistinguishable from putting a handful of lobsters on the field.

QB play is bad, JB regressed mightily.  Last night looked like we brought back Painter.

WR has been awful too, mostly due to an insane number of injuries, but also because everyone apparently has detachable hands and keeps forgetting to attach them before the games.  A QB launching rockets over the heads of Grecian cyclopses doesnt help either.

At least our LBs and OL (when JB isnt standing there like a deer in train lights) look pretty good......

Like most have mentioned , it starts with the QB. Andrew with his talent hid many deficiencies and literally carried this team on his back most of the time he was here and made up for what the Colts were lacking.  The only reason the Colts had the record they did for his first 3 season was because of him, plain and simple. I was not expecting JB to be(AL) that by any means, but maybe a little more productive and consistent. Did his injury hamper him, TY being out, other factors....who knows. That's up to the folks at 56th street to figure out 
   I think most of us have been spoiled for about 20 yrs with PM and AL, and expectations on this forum seem to be high as far as having another "elite" QB. I can understand that, but reality needs to set in. There have been franchises for decade(s) who struggle in having  and finding " that" QB to lead the franchise for multiple seasons. Some muddle in mediocrity or just above, in that position too. As long as the Colts been here in Indy, from my recollection, they stumbled around looking for a long term answer, until 1998.

I can think of very few teams that had an upper echelon  QB and went right into another. Colts, Packers, 49ers, maybe a few others I could be missing, but those come to mind. Do we need a top 10 qb? Sure, a lot of teams do. Would we be happy with a middle of the pack, efficient , Jim Harbaugh type QB with a very good supporting cast?

Maybe there is to much emphasis here in Indy/this site  on having that "elite" one. There is nothing wrong to having that expectations, but like I mentioned there is a reality out there and we have to deal with it no matter what it is, good or bad. We have been spoiled for a long time...… and it was great.!

2 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

Any position outside of Left Guard, Center and WLB

Take your pick. 

Probably what you get for refusing to spend the market price for top free agents and picking high draft picks in secondary positions for 5 years.

i only see nelson and leonard and moore as above average any other players are possible upgrades. ballards method of filling a whole roster is not working

he has filled the roster with below average talent

37 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Also add free safety to the list. You guys that told me Hooker was overrated were right. 

hooker is below average

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its the finding-a-good-QB part that's complicated. 

You will never find one if you never try to find one. The QB is the one position you cannot really afford to be mediocre or worse at. We should start drafting QBs and never stop until we think we have the answer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Four2itus said:

QB

Special teams returning

Special teams kicking

offensive line

Defensive line

Secondary

WR's

TE's

RB's

Offensive playcalling

Defensive playcalling

QB

DT

CB

WR/TE

2 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Our scraps are playing on other teams this is a talented roster we do have holes but this is a team that has gave up . 

24 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

i only see nelson and leonard and moore as above average any other players are possible upgrades. ballards method of filling a whole roster is not working

he has filled the roster with below average talent

hooker is below average

Hooker looks like a lost rookie in zone.

QB, DT, DT, DE, CB, WR are all huge needs.
  If CB can get 2 of these to come here in FA for the big bucks i expect him to go there. Irsay's franchise is floundering and needs talent.

Advise our last QB nicely that Brissett is gone and we are going to trade/cut TY if he doesn't come back.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stitches said:

You will never find one if you never try to find one. The QB is the one position you cannot really afford to be mediocre or worse at. We should start drafting QBs and never stop until we think we have the answer.

No doubt. 

Still can't win unless you have the other stuff.  Brees think's so too. And I'm not talking about having a LG and a FS. 

Enjoy one site's opinion.  Looks like he has many of them sinking badly. 12/10/19 update.

https://www.drafttek.com/2020-NFL-Draft-Position-Rankings/Top-College-QBs.asp

7 hours ago, will426 said:

i’ve never seen our special teams on offense this bad....can’t block/place/kick this is sad 

Granted a lot is wrong, but it really is amazing how every punt/FG this season is an adventure. It feels like we've had a blocked punt or FG every game.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Personally I like the roster overall.  My list is pretty short.

I agree with this general sentiment. This roster is NOT as bad as it has looked last couple of weeks. This was a roster that people thought could challenge for SB before Luck retired. 

There are weaknesses, and there are things to work on from some of the young players, but I think we have talent all over the field. And most of it is young talent that will get better over the next several years. 

To me the main areas for improvement are:

1. QB. It all starts and ends with the QB. QB cannot win by himself, but the QB is the most important position in football by quite a large margin. We need to address the QB position. We need to identify the talent at the position in the draft and go for it. And if it doesn't work we need to do it again... and again... and again... in future years until we have our guy. This is the position you cannot afford to be mediocre at simply because it has such an outsized role in the success of the team. 

2. Kicker. No idea if the new guy is the guy going forward. By reports it seems like he was highly coveted in the league and multiple other teams put a claim on him when he hit the waiver wire. If he's not it, I wouldn't mind us spending a late round pick to get the guy we want whoever that is so we wouldn't have to fight over him in UDFA. 

3. Interior DLine - I like most of the signings Ballard has made as value signings and they have been worth their contracts, but I feel like we need high end 3Tech that's more than just good "value" but actually a great player, who is disruptive and requires attention. 

4. WR/TE - one of the bottlenecks for the quality of this offense is the QB... the other one is the quality of the receiving weapons. Good scheme can work with a QB that can execute the offense against most teams but IMO will struggle against the best of the best in the playoffs. We need weapons that a/ can get open and b/ can make plays

5. CB - we still have no long-term CB1 even after we spent 2 2nd round picks and gave Desir a pretty big contract. Pretty much the only above average CB we have is Kenny Moore and he's more of a slot. 

I like our OLine, I like our RB core, I like our LBs, I like our safeties... I kind of like our EDGE defenders if we assume Kemoko returns and gets back close to what he was showing before his injury. This is not to say that we cannot and shouldn't be looking at improvements at those positions but IMO the urgency at those positions is not great. I would be OK with it even if we made zero moves at those positions this off-season.

Of course, improving the depth throughout the roster should not be neglected, because injuries happen all the time and sooner or later the second and third stringers will  have to play. 

But yeah. I don't think this is a roster devoid of talent. Our PS gets ravaged by other teams all the time. That never used to happen with Grigson and Pagano. We have talent and we have youth that can be developed. The problem is our biggest deficiency is also the most important position in football and it needs to be addressed or this team will continue to have limited ceiling. 

• Like 1