Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The total picture: Where are the Colts lacking

Four2itus

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

There's What We Need.  And then there's What We Can Draft.  And after that, What Holes We Fill In Free Agency.

I think that we need WR, DL3T, DL1T, QB, OT, CB in that order.  But you never know if you can draft them, in that order.  And free agency is trickier than simply going out and buying what you want.  They have to agree to the contract, too.  And you know that you will always be paying far more than what you're getting.

Last night shined a bright light on this team.  Yes, we made improvements.  Yes, we added young players that are capable of starting.  But we just played a championship caliber team.  And we're nowhere near that.

I totally agree in that order with needs...  Don't like the premise of giving up draft pick for any other QB than Burrows. What I see with the Colts pass rush, no inside penetration to the QB....

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree. This forum definitely appreciates him a lot more now now that we've seen life without him. The alternative is pretty terrible. In retrospect, I apologize to him for bashing him on not beating the Pats. He was keeping the team going. If only we had him now. I can only pray he comes back next year.

Yeah, Ballard and co should beg him to come back. If not we need to draft a QB high and make some trades to get there. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Hooker looks like a lost rookie in zone.

QB, DT, DT, DE, CB, WR are all huge needs.
  If CB can get 2 of these to come here in FA for the big bucks i expect him to go there. Irsay's franchise is floundering and needs talent.

Advise our last QB nicely that Brissett is gone and we are going to trade/cut TY if he doesn't come back.

agree 100 percent, great post

8 hours ago, Four2itus said:

For me, this is the order of the top 5....

Secondary

QB

Defensive playcalling

Defensive line

WR

For me I would not put the secondary at the top.  We are now starting two rookies there, Rock and Willis.  They are learning on the fly and should get better. Moore makes a big difference when he's playing.  It's QB for me and the DL.  A big penetrating DT should be a top priority.  Also another WR teams have to account for.  But the QB problem needs to be solved first and foremost.  I could put up with JB starting next year if we have drafted his future replacement.  That said I'm hoping Luck comes back.  That would change the whole offseason.  I expect we would know if he is or isn't by the start of FA. 

I think Ballard is resigned to the fact that trading down and accumulating more draft picks is the answer.  If he was watching the game last night in which he was,  will be  second guessing  himself on the results of his approach to the draft....hopefully will be more aggressive in the draft and not be so cheap in free agency either.

I hate to say it but i think its time to be critical of our GM, i know he has some god like stature on this forum but he is not really that good. Someone posted a few weeks ago about how his cockiness and what seems to be almost a Grigson like arrogance is hurting the team.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Four2itus said:

It's hard to be objective, when so many things are going wrong. Each thing that goes wrong, can affect other aspects of the game. As we all know, lack of front four pressure affects the back seven...and so on. 

It is obvious that the Colts are playing poorly in many facets of their game. Also, different facets have let the team down at different times during the season.  There is much wrong. There is also a great deal of depth being forced into play and could be quite beneficial down the road. 

So, here is a list.........and have a go at discussing the order of what is struggling the worst currently...

QB

Special teams returning

Special teams kicking

offensive line

Defensive line

Secondary

WR's

TE's

RB's

Offensive playcalling

Defensive playcalling

I've said this for years in this forum, it works and I'll stick to it.  Here's how you build a champion.

1. Acquire a franchise QB

2. Protect your franchise.

3. Disrupt the other teams franchise.

4. add athletes.

So for me, option #1, call Andrew!  Option #2 cash in and move up the draft.  We lost players this year from our practice squad because we are so stacked with decent to good players, the locker room is full of high quality, character guys who play good (not great) football.  Point is, we don't need more draft picks and more nice players, we need our game changer, a guy who when the game plan fails and nothing is working can say, "I got this." The worst place to be in the NFL is a 6 to 9 win team without a top 10 QB, that is NFL purgatory friends.  So, the mission for me is narrow in scope, get a top 10 QB and maybe even upgrade o-line one more rung and punish.

PS. I do think we need a receiver in the mix, I'd go free agency for that one.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, csmopar said:

It all starts at QB I’m afraid 

When you have 3 and outs, constantly, your defense gets gassed, and the opposing offense "looks" better than it is

If we can start to actually have a balanced offense, some of the problems that seem evident, wont be as bad

Fix the OBVIOUS QB problem......  Other huge holes wont seem so big

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Architects08 said:

Offensively the Colts can use help all over and that starts with QB. Although it might not be ideal I do think the Colts starting QB next year will be Jacoby. I dont see Ballard reaching on a QB prospect in early rounds when we need help in so many other positions.

On offense it's no secret Colts need some talented skill players. WR to me is at the top of the list. Pascal and Johnson have shown flashes, but teams arent afraid of them. TY is 30 and is entering the back end of his career too. I personally hope Ballard double dips and gets a WR in the early rounds and spends some coin on a guy like Cooper. 

I think Ebron is as food as gone and if that's the case you need an athletic pass catching TE that can stretch the middle of the field. A couple names worth watching in free agency would be Austin Hooper or Hunter Henry. Either would be nice options to pair with Doyle.

As for the RB position I think you need an upgrade their as well. Mack has a problem staying on the field and has really regressed the 2nd half of the season. Hines has been underwhelming, and Wilkins can kick rocks imo.

There are a few big names hitting the free agent market, but as we all know Ballard most likely wont spend big on a RB. With that being said I still think you have to consider some of these guys if the price is right. Derek Henry will most likely get a new contract, but I'd jump all over him if he was to hit the open market. I'll be interested to see what happens with the Chargers RBs. Gordon is a URFA who wants a big deal, and Eckler is restricted but either would be nice in Blue. 2 other names to watch is Kenyan Drake and David Johnson. Drake is a URFA but has played pretty well for AZ since they traded for him. DJ has been unhappy with his touches, and while he isnt a FA the Cards could sign Drake and look to move on from DJ. DJ behind this oline would be fun. 

Defensively I think the main priority is DT followed by pass rushers and CB help. If they can get a stud DT I think it's going to help the entire defense out. This is the position I'd be looking for with our 1st round pick.

I don't see starting RB as a problem. Sure Mack hasn't had the same numbers but teams don't have to worry about the pass because of Brissett's inability to hit open receivers.  I think Mack is fine as a starting RB...QB and WR are where we need upgrades on offense IMHO!  On defense we need to sure up the secondary, and i feel like we have to get away from playing so much soft stinking zone.  I also would say Pass rush is a need, although when Turay returns he and Houston will be a nice tandem.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I hate to say it but i think its time to be critical of our GM, i know he has some god like stature on this forum but he is not really that good. Someone posted a few weeks ago about how his cockiness and what seems to be almost a Grigson like arrogance is hurting the team.

Ballard had one good draft, the other two have been meh so far.

will be interesting to see how him and FR do without Luck going forward

29 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I dont think so

Where are the franchise QBs that he COULD have taken fight after Luck retired?

We will be fine when we get the QB problem solved

The best GMs hit 50% on talent...... he is above that IMHO

8 hours ago, Architects08 said:

DJ has been unhappy with his touches, and while he isnt a FA the Cards could sign Drake and look to move on from DJ. DJ behind this oline would be fun. 

I try to stay out of speculation and wishing... But * man this would be sooooo sick!... DJ and Mack as the 1 and 2... with our OL... Thatd be sick

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

When you have 3 and outs, constantly, your defense gets gassed, and the opposing offense "looks" better than it is

If we can start to actually have a balanced offense, some of the problems that seem evident, wont be as bad

Fix the OBVIOUS QB problem......  Other huge holes wont seem so big

So true on the D getting gassed.

I remember one drive the announcer said we had it for about 1 minute on a 3 and out. Then the next drive I specifically wanted to see how long the drive was and it was a 3 and out that took about 1:20 off the clock.

Brutal. And against a HOF QB, they were dying out there unfortunately. 

Felt bad for the D because they knew the only way we were winning it was with 5 pick 6's by them. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Four2itus said:

It's hard to be objective, when so many things are going wrong. Each thing that goes wrong, can affect other aspects of the game. As we all know, lack of front four pressure affects the back seven...and so on. 

It is obvious that the Colts are playing poorly in many facets of their game. Also, different facets have let the team down at different times during the season.  There is much wrong. There is also a great deal of depth being forced into play and could be quite beneficial down the road. 

So, here is a list.........and have a go at discussing the order of what is struggling the worst currently...

QB

Special teams returning

Special teams kicking

offensive line

Defensive line

Secondary

WR's

TE's

RB's

Offensive playcalling

Defensive playcalling

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

Ballard had one good draft, the other two have been meh so far.

The numbers have been smaller, but outside of the Nelson gimme pick, he's done about as well in free agency as he has in the draft.  He shouldn't be so opposed to free agency.  

3 hours ago, IinD said:

Granted a lot is wrong, but it really is amazing how every punt/FG this season is an adventure. It feels like we've had a blocked punt or FG every game.

i agree as much as i wanna blame Vinny i’m seeing they suck without just as they did With him so it’s special teams overall 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, a06cc said:

I’d personally would wait on a QB. This team is lack a presents on the defensive front. It’s been lacking one for years. Just like acquiring Nelson now we need that guy on our defensive line. We need a ton-setter  there. 

This is the closest to my opinion as well.  I wouldn't say to necessarily plan to wait on a QB, but I would not plan to take one this draft just because of need.  At least not waste one of our three highest picks because of need.

In addition to needing that presence on the Dline, we also need a presence at a skill position.  Either WR, RB, or TE, doesn't matter to me.  We need a player that can sometimes score a TD by his own efforts.  Just get him the ball, and sometimes he can do things by himself.  

So far, all of our skill position players need to be schemed with execution to get a big play...even TY.  Mack is not that guy either.

53 minutes ago, IinD said:

So true on the D getting gassed.

I remember one drive the announcer said we had it for about 1 minute on a 3 and out. Then the next drive I specifically wanted to see how long the drive was and it was a 3 and out that took about 1:20 off the clock.

Brutal. And against a HOF QB, they were dying out there unfortunately. 

Felt bad for the D because they knew the only way we were winning it was with 5 pick 6's by them. 

That's what happened in the NO game, but that's not reflective of the season.  In fact, just the opposite is true.  Early in the year when we were 5 and 2, we did not go three and out very often.  We had great time of possession, and scored points at the end of the drives.

The problem was that the D never produced 3 and outs.  They constantly gave up 3rd down conversions.  This is why those games were close, because the D couldn't get stops.

It may have had stats that gave up fewer yards and points, but that's because the opposing O did not possess the ball as long...they didn't have many drives, but they moved the ball and scored when they did have it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That's what happened in the NO game, but that's not reflective of the season.  In fact, just the opposite is true.  Early in the year when we were 5 and 2, we did not go three and out very often.  We had great time of possession, and scored points at the end of the drives.

The problem was that the D never produced 3 and outs.  They constantly gave up 3rd down conversions.  This is why those games were close, because the D couldn't get stops.

It may have had stats that gave up fewer yards and points, but that's because the opposing O did not possess the ball as long...they didn't have many drives, but they moved the ball and scored when they did have it.

I was just picking last night to critique, but you've definitely got good points.

We just eroded in every phase after a solid start this season.

I don't think we're a terrible team OVERALL, but the wheels definitely seem to be coming off as we near the finish line of 19'.

6 minutes ago, IinD said:

I was just picking last night to critique, but you've definitely got good points.

We just eroded in every phase after a solid start this season.

I don't think we're a terrible team OVERALL, but the wheels definitely seem to be coming off as we near the finish line of 19'.

I was encouraged by the start of the season, specifically because we possessed the ball and scored points when we did, either FGs or TDs.  There was a lack of big plays, but we were scoring points and it kept the opponents O off the field.

Things kind of fell apart when JB and TY both got injured.  Not saying those are the reasons, but that was about the time the O started struggling and the D started getting exposed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

I dont think so

Where are the franchise QBs that he COULD have taken fight after Luck retired?

We will be fine when we get the QB problem solved

The best GMs hit 50% on talent...... he is above that IMHO

Right on with this comment. Ballard is not the problem. Luck retiring is the problem along with his replacement. And also inheriting a talentless, aging roster. The rebuild is headed in the right direction. 

Just three major upgrades needed: QB; WR; DT. Those three positions scream for attention. Fix these positions and things will straighten out along with the inevitable maturation of this very young team. Its going to be a challenge, especially with the QB position. But the future isn't bleak; its just a tough time right now knowing JB is your QB. That must change.