Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kurt Warner doesn't think Luck is a top-5 QB

Lucky Colts Fan

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

I think he gets suspended for that audio...but I don't think think he's done. Obviously, things can change...but as of right now...I think it's become more and more likely that he isn't done.

I'm not referring to that audio. You do realize he's facing child abuse charges and it is a serious investigation/case with neither parent having custody, correct? That audio could make him a big loser in the courts and if so, he's 100%, make that 1,000%, done. 

And with the severity of it, he either fights it all the way which will drag out and be a long slow process to the point of the Chiefs walking away from him completely. Or he pleads guilty to keep from spending time, in which case it is his death sentence as far as the nfl is concerned. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

Considering who is on this list, he is right.

Yeah, there's a legit argument for a handful of guys at the #5 spot.

If you watched the video, when Kurt puts Brees at #2, I think I heard David Carr say "Colts are gonna be so happy, Colts are excited."  And then when Kurt is about to pick #1, he says "Andrew Luck?".

I was like "No, don't do that.  Don't put Luck #1 and leave Brady off the list.  This hype-train will get de-railed and Brady will end up with another MVP and Lombardi..."  haha

2 hours ago, Devildog said:

Mahomes? After one good year and all of the sudden he's top 3?

I think you meant....

Mahomes? After one good MVP year and all of the sudden he's top 3?

And the answer would be..................YES

15 minutes ago, TonyBungee said:

I like Luck's chances to be as good or better than any of Warner's top 5 this year.  But so far, he hasn't proven to be better than any on the list, so I won't argue with it.  Yet.

He was  better than ben last year

1 hour ago, tikyle said:

I think you meant....

Mahomes? After one good MVP year and all of the sudden he's top 3?

And the answer would be..................YES

Unless he proves himself year after year then sure.  But one year does not make him top 5.

So I guess Cam Newton and Matt Ryan should be on the list too, because they were MVP as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I'm not referring to that audio. You do realize he's facing child abuse charges and it is a serious investigation/case with neither parent having custody, correct? That audio could make him a big loser in the courts and if so, he's 100%, make that 1,000%, done. 

And with the severity of it, he either fights it all the way which will drag out and be a long slow process to the point of the Chiefs walking away from him completely. Or he pleads guilty to keep from spending time, in which case it is his death sentence as far as the nfl is concerned. 

Has he been charged though? I realize the investigation is ongoing...but I don't think he's been charged with anything yet. And if that doesn't happen...the NFL won't really have any additional information because they (law enforcement) have already said they won't share that information with the NFL. So basically, they would be going off that audio and interviews they conduct with Hill after the investigation.

Trust me...I am not saying it's right...it's just how I think it might play out. Without charges...the audio will garner a multi-game suspension on its own...but then he will be back. 

20 minutes ago, Devildog said:

Unless he proves himself year after year then sure.  But one year does not make him top 5.

So I guess Cam Newton and Matt Ryan should be on the list too, because they were MVP as well.

But it's his only year. It would be one thing if he had a couple decent seasons and then last season. But it was his first season...and it was historically great. That's the only data we have so far. At this point, no proof exists that he isn't already a great QB. That's what has to be proven...not the other way around.

Luck had a great rookie season...but if he had done what Mahomes did in his first season...I think nearly every Colts fan would have put him in the top 5. Or any other top QB for that matter. I don't think there should be a double-standard for Mahomes. 

I love doing lists but all lists are subjective and opinionated. It really depends on what this list is about. Is it about what QB you would take going into the season? or is it the QB that has more lifetime accomplishments? If it is the QB I would take going into the season then Luck absolutely belongs in the top 5, if one is going by lifetime accomplishments then Big Ben belongs (he has won 2 SB's) and Mahomes actually doesn't due to only having 1 great season.

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

sure wish luck had the weapons mahomes had just cause I'm like 90% sure he does as good or better than mahomes with the same support 

I think this year Luck will have just as many TD's and Yards. I think both QB's will throw for around 40 and 4500. No way Mahomes goes for 50 and 5000 again. That rarely happens, only Brady (2007) and Manning (2013) have done it in the history of football in the same season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think this year Luck will have just as many TD's and Yards. I think both QB's will throw for around 40 and 4500. No way Mahomes goes for 50 and 5000 again. That rarely happens, only Brady (2007) and Manning (2013) have done it in the history of football in the same season.

I actually stand corrected, Brady threw for 4806 in 2007 so up until Mahomes did it last year, Manning was the only one to do so. = 50/5000 in the same season.

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is a matter of opinion. Luck had a better year than Big Ben had this past season and we made the playoffs and Steelers didn't. I would take Luck over Ben, JMO. 

Oh I would take Luck over Ben any day.   I still think as of now Ben is better but that could change as soon as this season. 

11 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Oh I would take Luck over Ben any day.   I still think as of now Ben is better but that could change as soon as this season. 

I think Ben was better up until last year and he has the better career with 2 SB wins no doubt but as of now I think Luck is better going into 2019. I do not see the Steelers making the playoffs again, if they do then credit to Ben.

If total yards, QBR, and Passer Rater are the 3 biggest metrics for QB success, only Mahomes is top 5 in all three categories. 

Big Ben, Luck, and Brees made 2 out of three.

Brady and Rodgers did not make top 5 in any of the three categories. Rodgers didn't even make top 10 in two categories.

Not saying Brady isn't a great QB, but put Ben, Rodgers, Luck, Brees, Rivers, Mahomes, or Brees on the Pats with Belichick, and the Pats do just as good.

Total Yards

1. Big Ben

2. Mahomes

3. Ryan

4. Goff

5. Luck

6. Rodgers

7. Brady

8. Rivers

9. Manning

10. Cousins

(Brees 13th)

QBR

1. Mahomes

2. Brees

3. Trubisky

4. Big Ben

5. Luck

6. Brady

7. Rivers

8. Winston

9. Ryan

10. Goff

(Rodgers 16th)

Passer Rating

1. Brees

2. Mahomes

3. Wilson

4. Ryan

5. Rivers

6. Watson

7. Wentz

8. Goff

9. Fitzpatrick

10. Cousins

(Luck 11th, Brady 12th, Rodgers 13th, Big Ben 15th)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think he is top 5 right now.  Close.  Top 8 for sure.

IMO I think his arm and/or shoulder got tired towards the end of last year.  He really started guiding the ball imo instead of throwing it with a free and loose motion.  His wind up and arm delivery started getting shorter and his balls lacked crispness.  He was guiding the ball.  Not throwing it like a Rogers or any of the other top qbs.  I really noticed it the last 3 games or so.

Hopefully an off season of rest and a regular workout regiment solves that for this coming year.

Kurt: Here’s my list.

Producer: Thanks, Kurt.  Uhh, take Luck off and put Ben.  Then we’ll have David ask where is Luck on the list.

Kurt: But that’s not being honest. 

Producer:  ok.  Here’s something honest. I’m replacing you with Pat Mcafee. 

Kurt: Big Ben it is. 

16 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Can't put Mahomes on that list with one good year.....and fixing to lose his two best playmakers.

Yeah, if you ALSO take away his 3 best linemen you might approximate what Luck was dealing with his first 3 years.  Then we'd see an apples to apples type comparison to Luck's early years and his.  I think Mahomes deserves attention, but he had a stacked deck on Offense.  He also has the best TE in the league.  So arguably his top 3 weapons were in the top 5 in their positions, and Luck hasn't had any of that EVER, not even last year.  Sure, Luck finally had a line, but TY is on nobodies Top 5 list outside of this message board, and Ebron isn't deserving of a Top 5 listing wiht a blip on his resume.  Mack is a nice RB but far from Top 5 at this point.  Even though Luck STILL won't have 3 Top 5's this year, I think the scales are a bit more balanced this time around so I look forward to seeing which one excels.  If Mahomes puts up similar numbers without Hunt or Hill, (even though Kelce and their replacement back are still as good or better as our guys) then he'll unquestionably be the top QB in the league, in my view, over everyone on the list in pure talent/ability.   Rogers may have BEEN the most talented ever, but he's had some terrible seasons of late.  He'll be re-establishing his greatness as well and he has some new weapons this year to help him do that.  Same with Brady.   We'll also get a good look at Ben R. without Brown to see if he keeps up his performance.  We're lucky that Luck will get to prove it against many of those rated higher than him.  And likely, should we play well in the Playoffs, he'll have to prove it against Brady.  I would love to see Luck win against Brady in their only playoff meeting likely remaining should it happen. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Archer said:

I think that 42 YO Cheatin’ Tom shouldn’t be on the list.  If it’s for 2019, my list goes:

1) Mahomes

2)  Brees 

3) Luck

4) Wilson

5) Rodgers/Mayfield

Mayfield and Rogers equal? 

"You can't be serious!" -John McEnroe 

2 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Mayfield and Rogers equal? 

"You can't be serious!" -John McEnroe 

Rodgers didn't look very good last year.  Obviously also expecting a certain arc for Mayfield's second year - I was a fan of his accuracy and leadership during last draft season, and I'm a fan still.  (Love the McEnroe reference, though!)

19 hours ago, Reidm said:

Thats Ad hominem. Lets not attack his character just because you dont like his list. We are all better than that.

how is he attacking his character? he said he left his wife for another woman. the man himself did that. and when he did that he opened the door for comments to be made. that's not attacking ones character. now if I were to say you were a piece of % and had no morals I would be attacking your character with no grounds for my assumptions.

Tom's fading and relying more and more on his team.  He's still a good QB but not top 5. 

I would like to see more out of Mahomes then one year.  If he can string together another year or 2 of the kind of production he's had then I think he's the #1 QB in the NFL and it would be hard to argue.  But RG3 had a great first season too.  

1. Brees

2. Rodgers

3. Luck

4. Ryan

5. Rivers

20 hours ago, Archer said:

I think that 42 YO Cheatin’ Tom shouldn’t be on the list.  If it’s for 2019, my list goes:

1) Mahomes

2)  Brees 

3) Luck

4) Wilson

5) Rodgers/Mayfield

Im surprised people are saying Mahomes is the best QB in the league, lets see how he does this season without all those weapons

2 hours ago, Archer said:

Rodgers didn't look very good last year.  Obviously also expecting a certain arc for Mayfield's second year - I was a fan of his accuracy and leadership during last draft season, and I'm a fan still.  (Love the McEnroe reference, though!)

Rodgers will bounce back.

I am with you in regards to Mayfield though. He could easily be on a top 5 list very soon. His rookie season was better than Luck and Peyton's...from a statistical standpoint...and he showed flashes of greatness.