Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Kelly signed


holeymoley99

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The timing is weird. Why wait til now to sign him instead of after rookie mini camp? Perhaps he was hurt?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jared Jammer said:

That white guy who makes money pretending to be a black guy on Twitter is upset by this signing. He says we should have signed Kaepernick instead.

 

The owners are never gonna let that happen. They run the league not Goodell.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, CR91 said:

The timing is weird. Why wait til now to sign him instead of after rookie mini camp? Perhaps he was hurt?

probably due to his history. they probably wanted to monitor him a while before going full go on signing a contract

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

The owners are never gonna let that happen. They run the league not Goodell.

 

What is sad but factual is that they are simply responding to what would make some people upset.  And the reality is that there are a lot of people who would get more upset about Kap than they would about someone with a criminal history.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

What I like about this signing is that now every quarter of our preseason games are going to be fun to watch. 

 

Walker always played well, but let's face it, he's never going to be our #2.  If  Kelly can keep his act together, he has a decent shot of taking over for Jacoby if he decides to move on after this season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Valpo2004 said:

 

What is sad but factual is that they are simply responding to what would make some people upset.  And the reality is that there are a lot of people who would get more upset about Kap than they would about someone with a criminal history.  

 

Couldn't have said it better

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kelly will likely compete in OTA's, Mini Camps, Training Camp and Preseason before being cut and subsequently signed to the PS. 

 

He will likely be treated like Jalen Collins was last year - spend the season on the PS learning the "Colture". He will likely be #2 next year after Brissett leaves via Free Agency.

 

As far as Kelly is concerned.....he can make all the throws, has good moxie, and he can run. So he has a similar skillset to Luck therefore the offense wouldn't have to adapt to him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm torn a bit on this signing.   Certainly goes against the "good character guys" thought.  My guess is that this is partially due to Jim Kelly and Frank being friends.   Maybe not the major factor, but I'm sure it is part of it.   

I'm all for sencond chances, but this guy has a specific pattern going on.   Hopefully he grows up with Reichs help.  

 

 

He was released by the Denver Broncos the day after he was arrested for criminal trespassing for entering a couple's home in October 2018. Kelly, a seventh-round pick by the Broncos in 2017, pleaded guilty to misdemeanor second-degree criminal trespassing in March. He was sentenced to one year of supervised probation and 50 hours of community service.

Kelly was kicked off Clemson's football team for arguing with coaches during the spring game in 2014. He pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct after he was arrested for a bar fight in 2014. Kelly was in another fight at his brother's high school football game in New York in October 2016. Videos showed Kelly being held back by the coaches.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kelly had first round talent, but had a ten cent brain.....

 

He could very well beat out Brissett, but, for the sake of making him prove he's past his previous transgressions and continuity in the locker room I hope he spends the year on the PS.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Kelly makes the team I can actually see Ballard Keeping three QB's on the active roster.  He has said he would do it under the right circumstances.  This could be one one of those circumstances.  Kelly could be claimed off the PS but not the 53 man roster.  He already earned the backup spot at Denver.  He can play.  Secure him and see what happens with Brissett down the road.  It would give Ballard more flexibility on how to address our backup situation going forward.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If Kelly makes the team I can actually see Ballard Keeping three QB's on the active roster.  He has said he would do it under the right circumstances.  This could be one one of those circumstances.  Kelly could be claimed off the PS but not the 53 man roster.  He already earned the backup spot at Denver.  He can play.  Secure him and see what happens with Brissett down the road.  It would give Ballard more flexibility on how to address our backup situation going forward.  

 

That, I can definitely see!!! Jim Kelly's nephew will at least make the #3 QB spot interesting. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If Kelly makes the team I can actually see Ballard Keeping three QB's on the active roster.  He has said he would do it under the right circumstances.  This could be one one of those circumstances.  Kelly could be claimed off the PS but not the 53 man roster.  He already earned the backup spot at Denver.  He can play.  Secure him and see what happens with Brissett down the road.  It would give Ballard more flexibility on how to address our backup situation going forward.  

Chad Kelly has been available the entire off season.   No one picked him up.     

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I'm calling it now..... Kelly will beat out Brissett for the #2 spot.

I would also take that bet.   

Talent-wise is could be a wash.   I'd give Brissett the advantage but I hadn't seen much of Kelly.

Character-wise/team chemistry it is Brissett by a mile.

Experience-wise it is Brissett.

Contract/flexibility - I'd give the nod to Kelly.   I don't know what the current deal is.   I assume 1 year.   I also assume we could sign him for much less than Brissett at seasons end.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Myles said:

I would also take that bet.   

Talent-wise is could be a wash.   I'd give Brissett the advantage but I hadn't seen much of Kelly.

Character-wise/team chemistry it is Brissett by a mile.

Experience-wise it is Brissett.

Contract/flexibility - I'd give the nod to Kelly.   I don't know what the current deal is.   I assume 1 year.   I also assume we could sign him for much less than Brissett at seasons end.  

 

 

Don't forget 'availability-wise'.  Kelly will likely be suspended for a few games if he even makes a team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Myles said:

I'm torn a bit on this signing.   Certainly goes against the "good character guys" thought.  My guess is that this is partially due to Jim Kelly and Frank being friends.   Maybe not the major factor, but I'm sure it is part of it.   

I'm all for sencond chances, but this guy has a specific pattern going on.   Hopefully he grows up with Reichs help.  

 

 

He was released by the Denver Broncos the day after he was arrested for criminal trespassing for entering a couple's home in October 2018. Kelly, a seventh-round pick by the Broncos in 2017, pleaded guilty to misdemeanor second-degree criminal trespassing in March. He was sentenced to one year of supervised probation and 50 hours of community service.

Kelly was kicked off Clemson's football team for arguing with coaches during the spring game in 2014. He pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct after he was arrested for a bar fight in 2014. Kelly was in another fight at his brother's high school football game in New York in October 2016. Videos showed Kelly being held back by the coaches.

 

Polian and Kelly as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny how some here think this guy can be a great future player for the Colts considering his off the field issues. The same posters say HELL NO to Suh who plays rough on the field but has never had issues outside the lines....  

 

Can't figure this out or maybe it is something that is plain to see. 

Check yourselves:woah:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tackling * for our young pass rushers to practice on.

Tee him up!

 

Edit:  Well, i guess since this sissy country of ours is so politically correct that a simple word that begins with D and ends with Y and means "not too smart" is not allowed.  Sometimes i am very embarrassed to be an American.  We are soft, needy, and weak-minded as a society and we better get our "insert word because it will get blanked out" together.

Embarrassing.  Soon we'll have only 10 or 12 words left.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

What is sad but factual is that they are simply responding to what would make some people upset.  And the reality is that there are a lot of people who would get more upset about Kap than they would about someone with a criminal history.  

Yep.  True that.  No problem.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Kelly had first round talent, but had a ten cent brain.....

 

He could very well beat out Brissett, but, for the sake of making him prove he's past his previous transgressions and continuity in the locker room I hope he spends the year on the PS.

Tipping my hat, respectfully..:hat:

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

What is sad but factual is that they are simply responding to what would make some people upset.  And the reality is that there are a lot of people who would get more upset about Kap than they would about someone with a criminal history.  

I agree.  And what’s sadder is that the flag symbolizes Kap’s right to protest peacefully.  That is supposed to be one of the things that makes America “great”.   That gets lost on the flag supporters though.   That doesn’t fit the narrative that those in power want to spin so they go out their way to cast Kap as the villain.  For how he is being treated you would think that he took a dump on the flag and then dropped a burning match on it.  A US veteran suggested the kneel to Kap to SHOW respect.  But that gets glossed over.  When peaceful voices continue to be ignored it doesn’t lead to good things.

 

On topic...I support the Colts giving Kelly another shot but the inequity in regards to how Kap continues to be treated isn’t lost on me.

 

 This will be my only post in regards to Kap in this thread.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Myles said:

I'm torn a bit on this signing.   Certainly goes against the "good character guys" thought.  My guess is that this is partially due to Jim Kelly and Frank being friends.   Maybe not the major factor, but I'm sure it is part of it.   

I'm all for sencond chances, but this guy has a specific pattern going on.   Hopefully he grows up with Reichs help.  

 

 

He was released by the Denver Broncos the day after he was arrested for criminal trespassing for entering a couple's home in October 2018. Kelly, a seventh-round pick by the Broncos in 2017, pleaded guilty to misdemeanor second-degree criminal trespassing in March. He was sentenced to one year of supervised probation and 50 hours of community service.

Kelly was kicked off Clemson's football team for arguing with coaches during the spring game in 2014. He pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct after he was arrested for a bar fight in 2014. Kelly was in another fight at his brother's high school football game in New York in October 2016. Videos showed Kelly being held back by the coaches.

I couldn't agree more.  I have less problem with giving him a 4th? chance, but for me the worst part is forgoing the "Colts Culture" to sign a guy at least in part for figurative "nepotism."  THAT is really, really bad.  Sure, we have standards we tout over and over to everyone, but if you have an inside connection we'll toss that out and sign you no matter what you've done.  

 

I love our team, I really like and respect Ballard and Reich.  This turns my stomach.  This for me is a huge red flag.  This sets a precedence that character doesn't matter if you have connections.  Sure, that is how the world works, but the Colts have attempted to put themselves above all that rhetorically.  I think most of us really respect that and love that entire philosophy.  Why show it to be so hypocritical in the end for this guy?  It's not a second or third chance... at this point it's hard to add them all up.  So why would we ever turn down anyone with multiple infractions including violence?  

 

I am sure many if not most are just fine with this.  It sure is, at the least, very disappointing.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

 

 

 

 

When our name was first linked with Kelly,  I thought for sure we'd only sign him if he had successfully undergone drug and alcohol rehab.     And maybe he has.

 

But it's not been reported.    I would think if he had,  we'd want everyone to know that he had done that,  and so far,  we've made no comment to that affect.

 

So.....

 

I'm guessing Kelly has not done that...   at least,  not yet.    Maybe he will while the NFL suspends him which I'm expecting.

 

But I hope he does so it.    For his sake and for ours.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Good signing IMO. Decent 3rd QB, and a nice possible backup next year when Brissett likely leaves. Hopefully he can grow this year with us without pressure.

He is excellent. Plays like Baker Mayfield. His problems, as significant as they have been, are totally off the field.

 

I'm, guessing he'll spend the year as the 3rd QB to prove he can handle life in the NFL.

That was the plan in Denver.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

He is excellent. Plays like Baker Mayfield. His problems, as significant as they have been, are totally off the field.

 

I'm, guessing he'll spend the year as the 3rd QB to prove he can handle life in the NFL.

That was the plan in Denver.

Is he still eligible for the practice squad? I thought there were limits, or is it just # of years on an active or practice roster or what exactly? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I recall Ballard saying on 1070 that our team (paraphrasing) could not yet tolerate a player with baggage on the team via free agency.  Wouldn't this be considered a lot of baggage? I mean comparing him to the former Pitt guys, they seem like angels.  I'd think assault and breaking/entering etc. would count more than their "infractions" in the media or refusing to play under a franchise tag because they were running him into the ground, lessening his likely future without paying him for his production.  I am not disagreeing with Ballard's original assessment, but confused about the lack of consistency in belief?  If a proven highly productive player who mouths off to the press would be too much for a locker room, why wouldn't an unproven talent with violence and drug use in his background be as well? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Introspect said:

Funny how some here think this guy can be a great future player for the Colts considering his off the field issues. The same posters say HELL NO to Suh who plays rough on the field but has never had issues outside the lines....  

 

Can't figure this out or maybe it is something that is plain to see. 

Check yourselves:woah:

Despite his last name, I'm not a fan of the Kelly signing, also not a big supporter of pursuing Suh either, doubt Im the only one...

 

Also doubt I'm the only one who finds the Kelly signing a little counter productive/even dare say hypocritical to Ballards locker room building approach... 

I get the idea of getting to the point where a strong locker room can handle a big personality or a diva etc...

But is Chad Kelly really the guy you want to make that exception for???

 

Thumbs way down on this signing...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I recall Ballard saying on 1070 that our team (paraphrasing) could not yet tolerate a player with baggage on the team via free agency.  Wouldn't this be considered a lot of baggage? I mean comparing him to the former Pitt guys, they seem like angels.  I'd think assault and breaking/entering etc. would count more than their "infractions" in the media or refusing to play under a franchise tag because they were running him into the ground, lessening his likely future without paying him for his production.  I am not disagreeing with Ballard's original assessment, but confused about the lack of consistency in belief?  If a proven highly productive player who mouths off to the press would be too much for a locker room, why wouldn't an unproven talent with violence and drug use in his background be as well? 

people take stuff ballard says way too literally.  remember how everyone though we were going to build the trenches in this draft?  i think he just doesnt want to spend much in free agency unless its a dire need, and even then he still wont unless he really likes the player

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Yup. Has zero to do with race, and everything to do with his ability to read, progress, etc.. Good guy and all, just not very good. Wasn't really that good in college either. He's likely better off in another scheme to be honest where there is less focus on reads and progressions. Chud's O was probably better suited for him as it's more throw-to-spot, than read, progress, and make a bunch of decisions. But to bring race into the discussion is silly given most of the top QBs in the league (Mahomes, Wilson, Jackson, Prescott, Watson, etc.). Nobody cares about that.
    • https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/zach-pascal-22405/market-value/   i can’t believe Pascal’s perceived contract value is being shown at 8.4 million avg and 4yrs. That is a lot of money for a guy who really hasn’t put together an entire season or even really half of a season with numbers that make you feel he has more to his ceiling. He at times has made some plays and looked like is he breaking out and then he levels back out. He is a usable 4/5th receiver imho but nowhere near 8 million $/yr. wow! 
    • He wasn't horrible. He had the lowest completion rate of DBs in his limited time. He did look lost at times, but that's to be expected for a rook changing positions. Keep in mind Tell was a FS at USC, and converted to CB last year. He's built like a tall corner, so filling in for Moore at NB probably wasn't ideal. Can he play NB, IDK. He was never physical in college. He's also not fast (4.6ish). He did score well in agility in the shuttle though.   I really don't know where he'll fit. Not fast enough IMO to play CB1 or CB2. Not sure if he's physical enough to play NB or SS. Probably fine to play split safety in a two high. If he could toughen up, could be good at NB, dime, or SS, but he was never that guy in college. Perhaps a rona year hitting the weights will help. 
    • Brissett was given every opportunity to prove himself to the coaches and GM and he failed.  He's a good back up QB and that is where he is at.  He had 2 seasons and was given a huge pay check.   He is an average starter at best.   Bringing race into this discussion is stupid.   
    • Are you sure it is me? I play if a few Yahoo fantast football leagues but not a Colts one.   
  • Members

    • Hoose

      Hoose 1,218

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • PeterBowman

      PeterBowman 3,471

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • EastStreet

      EastStreet 6,903

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • lincolndefan

      lincolndefan 59

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Mel Kiper's Hair

      Mel Kiper's Hair 2,024

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Jdubu

      Jdubu 1,624

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Shive

      Shive 2,543

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • danlhart87

      danlhart87 3,908

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • csmopar

      csmopar 10,540

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • MFT5

      MFT5 438

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...