Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Kelly signed

holeymoley99

6 minutes ago, Jared Jammer said:

That white guy who makes money pretending to be a black guy on Twitter is upset by this signing. He says we should have signed Kaepernick instead.

The owners are never gonna let that happen. They run the league not Goodell.

25 minutes ago, CR91 said:

The owners are never gonna let that happen. They run the league not Goodell.

What is sad but factual is that they are simply responding to what would make some people upset.  And the reality is that there are a lot of people who would get more upset about Kap than they would about someone with a criminal history.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

What I like about this signing is that now every quarter of our preseason games are going to be fun to watch. 

Walker always played well, but let's face it, he's never going to be our #2.  If  Kelly can keep his act together, he has a decent shot of taking over for Jacoby if he decides to move on after this season.

Just now, Valpo2004 said:

What is sad but factual is that they are simply responding to what would make some people upset.  And the reality is that there are a lot of people who would get more upset about Kap than they would about someone with a criminal history.  

Couldn't have said it better

• Like 2

Kelly will likely compete in OTA's, Mini Camps, Training Camp and Preseason before being cut and subsequently signed to the PS. 

He will likely be treated like Jalen Collins was last year - spend the season on the PS learning the "Colture". He will likely be #2 next year after Brissett leaves via Free Agency.

As far as Kelly is concerned.....he can make all the throws, has good moxie, and he can run. So he has a similar skillset to Luck therefore the offense wouldn't have to adapt to him.

• Like 2

I'm torn a bit on this signing.   Certainly goes against the "good character guys" thought.  My guess is that this is partially due to Jim Kelly and Frank being friends.   Maybe not the major factor, but I'm sure it is part of it.   

I'm all for sencond chances, but this guy has a specific pattern going on.   Hopefully he grows up with Reichs help.  

He was released by the Denver Broncos the day after he was arrested for criminal trespassing for entering a couple's home in October 2018. Kelly, a seventh-round pick by the Broncos in 2017, pleaded guilty to misdemeanor second-degree criminal trespassing in March. He was sentenced to one year of supervised probation and 50 hours of community service.

Kelly was kicked off Clemson's football team for arguing with coaches during the spring game in 2014. He pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct after he was arrested for a bar fight in 2014. Kelly was in another fight at his brother's high school football game in New York in October 2016. Videos showed Kelly being held back by the coaches.

• Like 1

If Kelly makes the team I can actually see Ballard Keeping three QB's on the active roster.  He has said he would do it under the right circumstances.  This could be one one of those circumstances.  Kelly could be claimed off the PS but not the 53 man roster.  He already earned the backup spot at Denver.  He can play.  Secure him and see what happens with Brissett down the road.  It would give Ballard more flexibility on how to address our backup situation going forward.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If Kelly makes the team I can actually see Ballard Keeping three QB's on the active roster.  He has said he would do it under the right circumstances.  This could be one one of those circumstances.  Kelly could be claimed off the PS but not the 53 man roster.  He already earned the backup spot at Denver.  He can play.  Secure him and see what happens with Brissett down the road.  It would give Ballard more flexibility on how to address our backup situation going forward.  

That, I can definitely see!!! Jim Kelly's nephew will at least make the #3 QB spot interesting. 

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Chad Kelly has been available the entire off season.   No one picked him up.     

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I'm calling it now..... Kelly will beat out Brissett for the #2 spot.

I would also take that bet.   

Talent-wise is could be a wash.   I'd give Brissett the advantage but I hadn't seen much of Kelly.

Character-wise/team chemistry it is Brissett by a mile.

Experience-wise it is Brissett.

Contract/flexibility - I'd give the nod to Kelly.   I don't know what the current deal is.   I assume 1 year.   I also assume we could sign him for much less than Brissett at seasons end.  

38 minutes ago, Myles said:

I would also take that bet.   

Talent-wise is could be a wash.   I'd give Brissett the advantage but I hadn't seen much of Kelly.

Character-wise/team chemistry it is Brissett by a mile.

Experience-wise it is Brissett.

Contract/flexibility - I'd give the nod to Kelly.   I don't know what the current deal is.   I assume 1 year.   I also assume we could sign him for much less than Brissett at seasons end.  

Don't forget 'availability-wise'.  Kelly will likely be suspended for a few games if he even makes a team.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I'm torn a bit on this signing.   Certainly goes against the "good character guys" thought.  My guess is that this is partially due to Jim Kelly and Frank being friends.   Maybe not the major factor, but I'm sure it is part of it.   

I'm all for sencond chances, but this guy has a specific pattern going on.   Hopefully he grows up with Reichs help.  

He was released by the Denver Broncos the day after he was arrested for criminal trespassing for entering a couple's home in October 2018. Kelly, a seventh-round pick by the Broncos in 2017, pleaded guilty to misdemeanor second-degree criminal trespassing in March. He was sentenced to one year of supervised probation and 50 hours of community service.

Kelly was kicked off Clemson's football team for arguing with coaches during the spring game in 2014. He pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct after he was arrested for a bar fight in 2014. Kelly was in another fight at his brother's high school football game in New York in October 2016. Videos showed Kelly being held back by the coaches.

Polian and Kelly as well.

Funny how some here think this guy can be a great future player for the Colts considering his off the field issues. The same posters say HELL NO to Suh who plays rough on the field but has never had issues outside the lines....  

Can't figure this out or maybe it is something that is plain to see. 

Check yourselves:woah:

• Like 2

Tackling * for our young pass rushers to practice on.

Tee him up!

Edit:  Well, i guess since this sissy country of ours is so politically correct that a simple word that begins with D and ends with Y and means "not too smart" is not allowed.  Sometimes i am very embarrassed to be an American.  We are soft, needy, and weak-minded as a society and we better get our "insert word because it will get blanked out" together.

Embarrassing.  Soon we'll have only 10 or 12 words left.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Yep.  True that.  No problem.

4 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Kelly had first round talent, but had a ten cent brain.....

He could very well beat out Brissett, but, for the sake of making him prove he's past his previous transgressions and continuity in the locker room I hope he spends the year on the PS.

Tipping my hat, respectfully..:hat:

7 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I agree.  And what’s sadder is that the flag symbolizes Kap’s right to protest peacefully.  That is supposed to be one of the things that makes America “great”.   That gets lost on the flag supporters though.   That doesn’t fit the narrative that those in power want to spin so they go out their way to cast Kap as the villain.  For how he is being treated you would think that he took a dump on the flag and then dropped a burning match on it.  A US veteran suggested the kneel to Kap to SHOW respect.  But that gets glossed over.  When peaceful voices continue to be ignored it doesn’t lead to good things.

On topic...I support the Colts giving Kelly another shot but the inequity in regards to how Kap continues to be treated isn’t lost on me.

This will be my only post in regards to Kap in this thread.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Myles said:

I couldn't agree more.  I have less problem with giving him a 4th? chance, but for me the worst part is forgoing the "Colts Culture" to sign a guy at least in part for figurative "nepotism."  THAT is really, really bad.  Sure, we have standards we tout over and over to everyone, but if you have an inside connection we'll toss that out and sign you no matter what you've done.  

I love our team, I really like and respect Ballard and Reich.  This turns my stomach.  This for me is a huge red flag.  This sets a precedence that character doesn't matter if you have connections.  Sure, that is how the world works, but the Colts have attempted to put themselves above all that rhetorically.  I think most of us really respect that and love that entire philosophy.  Why show it to be so hypocritical in the end for this guy?  It's not a second or third chance... at this point it's hard to add them all up.  So why would we ever turn down anyone with multiple infractions including violence?  

I am sure many if not most are just fine with this.  It sure is, at the least, very disappointing.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

When our name was first linked with Kelly,  I thought for sure we'd only sign him if he had successfully undergone drug and alcohol rehab.     And maybe he has.

But it's not been reported.    I would think if he had,  we'd want everyone to know that he had done that,  and so far,  we've made no comment to that affect.

So.....

I'm guessing Kelly has not done that...   at least,  not yet.    Maybe he will while the NFL suspends him which I'm expecting.

But I hope he does so it.    For his sake and for ours.

9 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Good signing IMO. Decent 3rd QB, and a nice possible backup next year when Brissett likely leaves. Hopefully he can grow this year with us without pressure.

He is excellent. Plays like Baker Mayfield. His problems, as significant as they have been, are totally off the field.

I'm, guessing he'll spend the year as the 3rd QB to prove he can handle life in the NFL.

That was the plan in Denver.

11 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

He is excellent. Plays like Baker Mayfield. His problems, as significant as they have been, are totally off the field.

I'm, guessing he'll spend the year as the 3rd QB to prove he can handle life in the NFL.

That was the plan in Denver.

Is he still eligible for the practice squad? I thought there were limits, or is it just # of years on an active or practice roster or what exactly? 

I recall Ballard saying on 1070 that our team (paraphrasing) could not yet tolerate a player with baggage on the team via free agency.  Wouldn't this be considered a lot of baggage? I mean comparing him to the former Pitt guys, they seem like angels.  I'd think assault and breaking/entering etc. would count more than their "infractions" in the media or refusing to play under a franchise tag because they were running him into the ground, lessening his likely future without paying him for his production.  I am not disagreeing with Ballard's original assessment, but confused about the lack of consistency in belief?  If a proven highly productive player who mouths off to the press would be too much for a locker room, why wouldn't an unproven talent with violence and drug use in his background be as well? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Introspect said:

Funny how some here think this guy can be a great future player for the Colts considering his off the field issues. The same posters say HELL NO to Suh who plays rough on the field but has never had issues outside the lines....  

Can't figure this out or maybe it is something that is plain to see. 

Check yourselves:woah:

Despite his last name, I'm not a fan of the Kelly signing, also not a big supporter of pursuing Suh either, doubt Im the only one...

Also doubt I'm the only one who finds the Kelly signing a little counter productive/even dare say hypocritical to Ballards locker room building approach... 

I get the idea of getting to the point where a strong locker room can handle a big personality or a diva etc...

But is Chad Kelly really the guy you want to make that exception for???

Thumbs way down on this signing...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I recall Ballard saying on 1070 that our team (paraphrasing) could not yet tolerate a player with baggage on the team via free agency.  Wouldn't this be considered a lot of baggage? I mean comparing him to the former Pitt guys, they seem like angels.  I'd think assault and breaking/entering etc. would count more than their "infractions" in the media or refusing to play under a franchise tag because they were running him into the ground, lessening his likely future without paying him for his production.  I am not disagreeing with Ballard's original assessment, but confused about the lack of consistency in belief?  If a proven highly productive player who mouths off to the press would be too much for a locker room, why wouldn't an unproven talent with violence and drug use in his background be as well? 

people take stuff ballard says way too literally.  remember how everyone though we were going to build the trenches in this draft?  i think he just doesnt want to spend much in free agency unless its a dire need, and even then he still wont unless he really likes the player

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1