Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

holeymoley99

Chad Kelly signed

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

Not worried about the signing, just think it sorta gives some credence to anyone who wants to argue that Ballard's message is inconsistent...

 

Regardless if he thinks he can "save a troubled player" it is still pretty early in the team branding & identity building process especially for a 3rd string player...

 

There's a whole season & off season for him to worry about the 2020 season backup quarterback...

Didn't stop him last year in picking up a troubled, but very talented 1st/2nd Rounder in corner Jalen Collins. 

 

He has stated all along he would give second chances.

 

The part that most people miss is the stigma of the veteran with the high dollar contract dogging it in practice and loafing on game days - he's worried that THOSE guys will hurt the locker room. 

 

He's not worried about a second chance kid because they will likely be on their very best behavior, they'll be hungry to fit in and earn their spot at the table. If they don't then very little capital was invested and they're cut immediately.

 

That is the point that most people are missing!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tikyle said:

 

So was Aaron Hernandez, Ryan Leaf and Lawrence Phillips and we saw how those ended up.

It goes both ways though. There are a good handful of knuckleheads in Hall of Fame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is amazing this thread has got almost 2 full pages. IMO, Kelly won't even be on the roster when the season starts.

Agreed that he likely won't be on the active roster. But I do think he has an excellent chance at the practice squad. I'm rooting for the guy obviously. Odds are he'll find a way to screw things up again based on his track record. I just really hate to see when guys pee their talent away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

Agreed that he likely won't be on the active roster. But I do think he has an excellent chance at the practice squad. I'm rooting for the guy obviously. Odds are he'll find a way to screw things up again based on his track record. I just really hate to see when guys pee their talent away.

He's a talented kid but with Luck and Brissett on the roster already our depth chart at QB is solid. Brissett as a backup is about as good as it gets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Didn't stop him last year in picking up a troubled, but very talented 1st/2nd Rounder in corner Jalen Collins. 

 

He has stated all along he would give second chances.

 

The part that most people miss is the stigma of the veteran with the high dollar contract dogging it in practice and loafing on game days - he's worried that THOSE guys will hurt the locker room. 

 

He's not worried about a second chance kid because they will likely be on their very best behavior, they'll be hungry to fit in and earn their spot at the table. If they don't then very little capital was invested and they're cut immediately.

 

That is the point that most people are missing!

 

 

Good points.

 

My posts in this thread were really just addressing a poster who asked why some were not on board with the signing. While I am not a fan of the signing, it isn't that big of a deal, really nothing more than an off season talking point... 

 

Overall I love how Ballard is building the team & I just feel like the more razor focused & consistent he stays on message etc. the less ammo the nay-sayers or detractors will have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 11:18 AM, Jared Jammer said:

That white guy who makes money pretending to be a black guy on Twitter is upset by this signing. He says we should have signed Kaepernick instead.

No Thanks, dude is a team cancer and whats to start not play 3rd string.  Canadian and XFL looking for starters.He may  play there,perhaps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, conklincolt said:

No Thanks, dude is a team cancer and whats to start not play 3rd string.  Canadian and XFL looking for starters.He may  play there,perhaps?

Kaep wants more money than we are paying Kelly too.   No way would Kaep be a good signing in Indy.   Seattle gave him a chance and he didn't work out.   Baltimore was very interesting in him until his outspoken girlfriend called the owner a racist.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is amazing this thread has got almost 2 full pages. IMO, Kelly won't even be on the roster when the season starts.

Who said he’s making the roster this year? That’s not what the discussion has been about. The consensus has the PS being the best case scenario 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know if this is a good or bad thing but Cain is hanging out with Kelly today. Please Cain don’t let him get you in trouble. Hopefully the culture in Indy will help him get his life together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2019 at 12:29 PM, Scott Pennock said:

Didn't stop him last year in picking up a troubled, but very talented 1st/2nd Rounder in corner Jalen Collins. 

 

He has stated all along he would give second chances.

 

The part that most people miss is the stigma of the veteran with the high dollar contract dogging it in practice and loafing on game days - he's worried that THOSE guys will hurt the locker room. 

 

He's not worried about a second chance kid because they will likely be on their very best behavior, they'll be hungry to fit in and earn their spot at the table. If they don't then very little capital was invested and they're cut immediately.

 

That is the point that most people are missing!

 

 

 

Good post.    And I completely forgot giving Collins a second chance last season.   So Kelly is NOT Ballard’s first attempt at saving a troubled player.   Collins is/was.

 

Much appreciated!     :thmup:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sincerely asking, did Collins suspensions or issues dating back to LSU extend past anything other than PEDs??? & then how would that equivalate to the same type of "issues" or "troubles" Kelly has had???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgot to mention they are also hanging out with the colts draft pick Javon Patterson. I love watching our players IG and seeing how close this team is. Everyone hangs with Ebron. He must be fun to hang out with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Sincerely asking, did Collins suspensions or issues dating back to LSU extend past anything other than PEDs??? & then how would that equivalate to the same type of "issues" or "troubles" Kelly has had???

Collins was drugs snd Kelly has been alcohol - both have the same effects on the mind/body as an addiction I would think.

 

Both are on a short leash of one and done behavior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Collins was drugs snd Kelly has been alcohol - both have the same effects on the mind/body as an addiction I would think.

 

Both are on a short leash of one and done behavior.

Usually addiction is a symptom of a deeper issue. Which all can be over come wants the issue is worked on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, NewEra said:

Usually addiction is a symptom of a deeper issue. Which all can be over come wants the issue is worked on

He said wants......once

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2019 at 9:45 PM, NewColtsFan said:

nd my concern level is elivated that we haven't read news that Kelly has gone and completed rehab.    I would've guessed that would be mandatory for Ballard.    And maybe he has,  but if so,  you would think the team press release could say so,  or the kid would do an interview and say so.    It's important that that message would get out.    It's an important step to take.    But so far,  nothing on that front.

 

I'm surprised it wasn't mandatory as a part of his plea deal. I assumed it was, but nope. Probation and community service, but no mandated rehab. 

 

Of course, it's possible he got treatment that wasn't mandated, or publicized (can't find any mention of it).

 

Either way, I assume the Colts did their due diligence, which includes Brian Decker's evaluation. I don't think they would sign someone with Kelly's history without Decker's sign-off, so the idea that Kelly got signed just because his family is close to Frank Reich doesn't hold up, for me.

 

And end of the day, either he does well in camp and pushes for a spot on the PS and a chance to be the primary backup in 2020, or he doesn't do well and he's off the team. No question in my mind that he's better than Philip Walker. I don't see a lot of risk for the team with this acquisition. Same as Jalen Collins. Low risk, potential reward down the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...