Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What afc team scares you the most?

Trace Pyott

Now that it’s official I was looking at teams in the playoffs and based on purely points scored and allowed I gotta say the team I fear the most would prob be San Diego. They actually look a lot like us statistically.  If they play as good as they can play they are pretty good. I think kc is built like the colts teams of old  and are beatable and of course New England is always tough but finally I think Father Time is gonna take Brady out. So I would def say San Diego. 

• Like 2

The chargers appear to be the most complete team in the AFC.

The chiefs can't win in the playoffs, and that defense is awful.

The pats haven't looked much like the pats, but they do the same thing every year.

The Ravens have a good D, but a one dimensional offense with a qb that may or may not be able to make big throws.

Texans, playing at NRG is a home game for the colts, right?

I think the AFC is wide open, and completely unpredictable at this point.

• Like 1

I like everyone’s responses. Seems like a mixed bag but that’s to be expected. One somewhat common thing I noticed and that I agree with, is that if the colts play the way they can play, we can win it all and that’s not being biased at all.

You know what’s crazy that I just remembered .....I believe it was our 3rd or 4th loss I remember saying how in order for us to win a single game we had to play basically perfect and even then the games were razor thin. I attributed that to just a simple case of lack of talent which made our margin for error minuscule.  Think back to the year we beat the dolphins and they controlled the time of possession to an absurd amount and played fairly well and we pretty much stunk the place up but still won. It may have been around 2005 or so. Anyways we were the opposite of that colts team. 

Now however, even when we don’t play 100% mistake free like tonight we can still beat good teams and not just by a point or two. Since I’ve been a fan of football (1998) I can’t remember a team that has grown and gotten better as much as this team has this year. I think a lot of the credit has to go to the coaches and Ballard for that. The scary thing is, all of these guys who we didn’t know their names earlier this year like pascal, Inman, Wilkins, etc are all going to be much better next year with more time to practice with luck and familiarize themselves together.  We arent going to be a team with one stud on offense but 3 or 4 really good guys and that is much much harder for teams to stop. Who is that wr everyone is excited about who got injured for us?  He’s gonna come back along with a healthy Doyle and not to mention the fact we will prob draft another stud wr or maybe sign a certain free agent RB. Honestly guys when was the last time that you felt this good about the next few years of colts football?  I’m gonna say I’ve never been this excited. We just have so much young talent and money to spend on free agency that it would be a crime for this current regime to not win at least one Super Bowl in the next 3 years. Hopefully it happens this year.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, coltsnation said:

This might be unpopular but the Ravens scare me because they have a dominant defense and run game.  We also seem to struggle with mobile QBs and Jackson would be a nightmare to defend with only a week to plan.

Exactly!!! The Ravens are a bad match up for the Chargers, a bad match up for the Patriots, a bad match up for the Chiefs, and everyone else in the AFC with their defense getting in the passing lanes of QBs real well and their O staying disciplined and committed to the run. It is almost like you have to play the old Bears 4-6 defense with a big nickel against them to defend that style of running. You have to play 60 minutes to beat them in a scrappy game.

Contrary to what people think about Lamar Jackson, people have tried implementing different game plans against Lamar Jackson and have failed. John Harbaugh has done a masterful job of game planning for his limited skill set. On offense, you have to stay patient.

Plus, teams are ready to dismiss the Chiefs easily as well. They have been in every single game that they lost as well, despite some defensive inefficiencies. I would think that the Chargers are a bit overrated, and the Chiefs and Ravens are underrated from a fans perspective, and the Patriots are always a tough out.

• Like 1

The AFC is wide open. Each team has strengths and weaknesses and can beat any team depending on the circumstances. 

We indeed have some holes in the team, but this is the most complete team offense and defense wise that I have witnessed in a long time. And we have a lot of room for growth! It's incredible! 

That being said, probably the Patriots because it is Bill orchestrating things, and he knows how to get less talented teams, specifically defenses, to play way past their potential.

27 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

That being said, probably the Patriots because it is Bill orchestrating things, and he knows how to get less talented teams, specifically defenses, to play way past their potential.

I am certain that Patriots fans want to root for the Texans because that gives them the best match up in the divisional round, as opposed to the winner of the Ravens-Chargers game.

In breaking it down, I would fear the Texans the least. This Patriots team is the weakest I’ve seen since 2009, and looks a little old. Still , with the Shennanigans factor, it’s always a tough way to go up there. 

KC does look a bit like old Peyton Manning led Colts teams , but they have a dangerous offense that has to be kept off the field. 

The Colts and the Chargers are very solid with excellent veteran QB’s and good defenses. The Ravens are a wild card with this unconventional offense and #1 defense. This defense is not as good as the 2000 and 2006 Ravens teams, and Lamar is a rookie, and has to become a better passer. 

So to me, it’s wide open. I don’t see the Texans beating the Colts. With the Ravens, they have to keep Rivers off the field and run the ball effectively. I’m not crazy about playing the Chargers for the second time in three weeks. Good match ups all around. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, TheMiz said:

The chargers appear to be the most complete team in the AFC.

The chiefs can't win in the playoffs, and that defense is awful.

The pats haven't looked much like the pats, but they do the same thing every year.

The Ravens have a good D, but a one dimensional offense with a qb that may or may not be able to make big throws.

Texans, playing at NRG is a home game for the colts, right?

I think the AFC is wide open, and completely unpredictable at this point.

I don't think Chiefs team has played in the playoffs yet.  

it is pretty wide open,  if i could pick who we had to play it would be the texans, so we are off to a good start

i think the chargers and ravens might actually be our toughest match ups

colts vs chiefs would be a shoot out that we could win if we get a play or two from the defense.

the scariest thing about the patriots is the game would be on the road.  i think we match up well with them now, despite the loss earlier this year

If we can run the football without the turnovers like last night... We can win this whole damn you guys. That balanced offense we saw last night is what scares everyone to death. Andrew Luck playaction was deadly last night. Even with sloppy play and turnovers, we put up 30+. Our defense is built for these playoffs. Limiting big play, forcing turnovers, and putting pressure on the qb in unique ways. We need the front 7 on defense to step up and play a few great games. 

• Like 2

Honestly? None of them. Like... there are better and more complete teams than us and we are likely to lose sooner or later in the playoffs, but there is no team that I fear like i used to fear the Pats earlier in Luck's career. I think this team can hang with anybody...  maybe we don't beat everybody, but we have a chance against anybody. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Chiefs and patriots would pick apart our Tampa 2 

I agree with this.   

I'm sorry to say, but the defense was suspect last night.  

That's a very different game if it isn't Gabbert throwing the ball.  

He missed a ton of easy throws.  

I thought the Colts looked bad last night outside of the offense (if you throw out the mental mistakes).

We can beat the Texans and maybe the Pats with an average performance. For the Colts to beat the other squads, Luck would have to be lights out, basically perfect.. No stupid pick six's. No fumbles. No holding by the line every time a positive play occurs ect. 

They're probably a year away, maybe two. The D is getting better, but it's not a finished product and that's probably where this season is going to breakdown.

Being the Colts shut down the Giants and Titans running game that leaves the passing game of the Chiefs as my top concern but looking at the Chiefs defense gives the edges to the Colts. It cannot be argued that the Colts can't make it to the Super Bowl. Only two other teams in NFL history started out as 1-5 and made it to the playoffs. The Chiefs and Bengals are the other two teams.

12 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

I agree with this.   

I'm sorry to say, but the defense was suspect last night.  

That's a very different game if it isn't Gabbert throwing the ball.  

He missed a ton of easy throws.  

I thought the Colts looked bad last night outside of the offense (if you throw out the mental mistakes).

I don’t think we looked bad but your right this is a closer game if TN had a real QB.