Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you consider not drafting luck and keeping manning??

Trace Pyott

I know a lot of people are going to freak out about this and I'm not exactly sure I know the correct answer but before this season I was 100 sure we did the right thing. Now after last year and this year I'm not so sure. First hear me out. I know the team was pretty horrible talent wise especially after we gutted the team when manning left. However, If we had kept Peyton and traded the luck pick we could of gotten a kings ransom for him and the rebuild would of been extremely fast. Also we know how good Peyton played those last couple of years I mean my god he threw for over double the amount of Td luck is going to throw this season in one year!!! Peyton by himself could of probably gotten us to the playoffs a few of those years. Also, I am not sure if it's true but I hear Peyton was kinda ticked off at irsay for letting him go and will probably never work with the colts again because of it. If we never got rid of Peyton he would of retired a colt and possibly may even have coached for us or done some kind of executive work. I also think if we would of kept manning we could of drafted one of these young upcoming qb who are leading their teams. I almost doubt if we had kept manning the team would in any worse shape than it is now front to back. Like I said I don't know the answer just wanted to know what you guys think.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if I'm wrong, which I very well may be, but hasn't Luck statistically played better than Manning at this point in their respective careers with less talent? I didn't watch football much in the late 90s early 00s so I could be wrong. i think we made the right decision, the current regime just hasnt put the right pieces around him to have a championship team.  

All things considered, including HC and front office, and knowing how much we could have gotten draft wise for Luck.

I think there can be a good argument to have kept Manning.

We would have gotten MULTIPLE 1st rounders, probably 3-4 of them along with a slew of other picks. Manning at the helm means no change or minor change on staff, Caldwell won a Superbowl in 2012 with the Ravens. No way to tell if it would have been better or worse, but I can see why it might be enticing.

We might have even drafted Russel Wilson before the 3rd round.

46 minutes ago, Trace Pyott said:

I know a lot of people are going to freak out about this and I'm not exactly sure I know the correct answer but before this season I was 100 sure we did the right thing. Now after last year and this year I'm not so sure. First hear me out. I know the team was pretty horrible talent wise especially after we gutted the team when manning left. However, If we had kept Peyton and traded the luck pick we could of gotten a kings ransom for him and the rebuild would of been extremely fast. Also we know how good Peyton played those last couple of years I mean my god he threw for over double the amount of Td luck is going to throw this season in one year!!! Peyton by himself could of probably gotten us to the playoffs a few of those years. Also, I am not sure if it's true but I hear Peyton was kinda ticked off at irsay for letting him go and will probably never work with the colts again because of it. If we never got rid of Peyton he would of retired a colt and possibly may even have coached for us or done some kind of executive work. I also think if we would of kept manning we could of drafted one of these young upcoming qb who are leading their teams. I almost doubt if we had kept manning the team would in any worse shape than it is now front to back. Like I said I don't know the answer just wanted to know what you guys think.

No. Still would've drafted Luck. That 1st we gave up for Trent though, I would've traded that on draft day and stockpiled picks. That first round wasn't that good. But the later rounds were 

If we kept Manning and traded down, then we could have built a roster that would have gone to the playoffs and made the AFCCG, which we did with Luck anyway during his first few years.  We'd now be sitting with a defensive minded team and annually searching for a Dilfer-ish QB who could manage the game.  Not a bad strategy or outcome, but different way of getting there.

The problem was not drafting Luck.  The problem was drafting a franchise QB with the intent of paying him franchise money, but fitting him into the run-first offense and the slow footed defensive philosophy.  

It was what Irsay wanted, and he hired his coach, and his GM tried to build that team for him.  It simply is outdated, and he still has not fully realized that.

Actually, I think Grigson probably is smart enough to realize it, but his boss and his coach think otherwise, so its two against one.

If we could go back in time and change things, I would not change drafting Luck One of the most fortunate things to happen to the Colts is to have the fortune to draft Manning and then Luck.

-I would change drafting Werner instead of Rhodes, or drafting Dorsett instead of L. Collins.

-I would change the carousel at the receiver position (Avery, DHB, Nicks, and A. Johnson).

-I would change trading Jerry Hughes for K. Sheppard.

- I would change trading away a first round draft pick for T-Rich.

Imagine what the team would be like without all of these mistakes.

12 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

If we could go back in time and change things, I would not change drafting Luck One of the most fortunate things to happen to the Colts is to have the fortune to draft Manning and then Luck.

-I would change drafting Werner instead of Rhodes, or drafting Dorsett instead of L. Collins.

-I would change the carousel at the receiver position (Avery, DHB, Nicks, and A. Johnson).

-I would change trading Jerry Hughes for K. Sheppard.

- I would change trading away a first round draft pick for T-Rich.

Imagine what the team would be like without all of these mistakes.

Don't want to go down the road of draft pick mistakes, but all of these picks fit with the misguided ambition of building a slow footed defense and run oriented team.  Werner was to be a more all around OLB to replace one dimensional Freeney and we had Toler as the man cover CB who was playing well before injury.  T Rich was supposed to be the power RB that moved the chains.  Hughes was also not an all around OLB.

The WR thing I can't explain. other than we were looking for stop gaps at the #3 slot until enough could be drafted to replace Reggie and solifidy the #3, like Moncrief and Dorsett, or so was the plan.

Grigson with more picks to blow??  Sounds like a plan to me!  That is if he would've been their manager still........

Sides Manning went to a team that gave it their all building a super bowl caliber team and won the super bowl.  I personally feel that wouldn't have happened here.

"Colts_Fan12 is dead on, still draft Luck, but get rid of the likes of Grigs/Pags combo.  They're the pits as far as starting a franchise QB.  If you stop and think about what Arians did for Luck, you can see the success from the coach influence with Luck and inovative plays.  These two Bozos, if Irsay doesn't wake up from his drug induce Coma, this organization will be like the Browns(sorry Ohio) before you know it....It's happening already, two straight years of missing the playoffs, unheard of....

Like I said before I don't know the answer but for anyone to say it's obvious thAt the team as a whole would be worse off if we had kept manning I think isn't giving it enough thought. A few years ago I would of said it was a crazy thought too. Now I would say I'm 65/35 that we did the right thing.

Nope, right choice at the time.  Luck may very well never become what Manning was, that is still yet to be seen as Manning wasn't what he became at this point in his career either, hell he hadn't even won a single playoff game yet.  BUT, they didn't know if Peyton would even be able to play again and Luck was just sitting there wrapped up in a neat package for them.  It was the right decision.  Just the wrong regime to run it IMHO.

Keep in mind, Peyton was hurt. To the point where his career was in question. Why risk that, just for a few more years of contending? And IIRC, Peyton's play starting slowing down in the middle to latter end of the 2014 season. So really about 2.5 years of prime Manning versus the rest of Andrew's career.

MAybe I should rephrase my question. Knowing what we know now, that Peyton would go on and play some of if not the best football ever played when he was in Denver for those few years and that we could of gotten some pretty good qbs a few years later like the kid in Oakland. Not to mention, the way luck still hasn't exactly progressed as much as many of us expected or hoped. He still makes many of the same mistake he came into the league making. Some say he's worse because of the *s running the team but that's another story. Basically, if you could time travel knowing exactly what we know now would you still make the pick? Was it the right move at the time no question in my opinion. I'm saying knowing exactly what we know now about the whole NFL would you have taken luck?

42 minutes ago, Trace Pyott said:

MAybe I should rephrase my question. Knowing what we know now, that Peyton would go on and play some of if not the best football ever played when he was in Denver for those few years and that we could of gotten some pretty good qbs a few years later like the kid in Oakland. Not to mention, the way luck still hasn't exactly progressed as much as many of us expected or hoped. He still makes many of the same mistake he came into the league making. Some say he's worse because of the *s running the team but that's another story. Basically, if you could time travel knowing exactly what we know now would you still make the pick? Was it the right move at the time no question in my opinion. I'm saying knowing exactly what we know now about the whole NFL would you have taken luck?

Still the right move and you wont find no bigger Peyton fan than me (well maybe other than Gramz LOL). We were in rebuild mode and our O.Line and Defense were iffy + we needed Salary Cap relief to get other players. Denver had much better surroundings and ended up with a Top 10 Defense of all-time to help Peyton win another SB. Peyton would've still won games because he's Peyton but for what, 2 or 3 years? We possibly have Luck for 15 years and in Luck's first 3 seasons he over achieved and won 3 Playoff games and got us to the Title Game in 2014. Luck may never accomplish what Peyton has but in his first 5 seasons vs Peyton's he's been better actually.

6 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Keep in mind, Peyton was hurt. To the point where his career was in question. Why risk that, just for a few more years of contending? And IIRC, Peyton's play starting slowing down in the middle to latter end of the 2014 season. So really about 2.5 years of prime Manning versus the rest of Andrew's career.

This is true but the biggest reason his play slowed is because Elway blew up his offense and wanted the ball ran consistently after a loss the St Louis in 2014. Manning was never the same without his usual control of the O. 

As for the Luck or Peyton discussion - as of right now Luck was the correct decision easily but revisit this in 5 or 10 years. Hopefully Luck has a ring or two but if not...

35 minutes ago, 19colt said:

This is true but the biggest reason his play slowed is because Elway blew up his offense and wanted the ball ran consistently after a loss the St Louis in 2014. Manning was never the same without his usual control of the O. 

As for the Luck or Peyton discussion - as of right now Luck was the correct decision easily but revisit this in 5 or 10 years. Hopefully Luck has a ring or two but if not...

Maybe ringing in his head from the pounding he takes.

1 hour ago, 19colt said:

Well not under this regime he won't have any rings. 

Never would of let manning go. I said it then and I still believe it today, we should of traded that pick for a kings ransom, picked up Wilson or Tanahiel? and built up the overall team talent. I know every one thinks Luck is just the best thing since sliced bread but I honestly don't believe he's going to end up being any different than a Stafford or Rivers. I honestly believe that in two or three years we are going to be in the market for a new QB anyways with the abuse luck has taken and in the long run he's is going to be a just another first rounder who could of been great. And for everyone who thinks Manning would of gotten killed behind the line, just remember with the additional picks the line would have been totally different, not to mention with Manning's quick release you could probably cut Luck's hit's in half. 

1 hour ago, James Ducheteau said:

Never would of let manning go. I said it then and I still believe it today, we should of traded that pick for a kings ransom, picked up Wilson or Tanahiel? and built up the overall team talent. I know every one thinks Luck is just the best thing since sliced bread but I honestly don't believe he's going to end up being any different than a Stafford or Rivers. I honestly believe that in two or three years we are going to be in the market for a new QB anyways with the abuse luck has taken and in the long run he's is going to be a just another first rounder who could of been great. And for everyone who thinks Manning would of gotten killed behind the line, just remember with the additional picks the line would have been totally different, not to mention with Manning's quick release you could probably cut Luck's hit's in half. 

Good in theory but you trust Grigson to make the right picks with that "king's ransom" he would've received?  Plus let's be honest, this fan base is a QB coddling elitist type fan base.  They would never let go the fact that they gave up the right to get Andrew Luck while having to watch a guy like Tannehill or even Wilson.  Becuase Wilson would be horrible here w/o a o-line, running game AND defense.

I just don't trust Grigson.  He probably would've drafted someone like Weeden or Osweiler or Foles.  And then used those extra picks on damaged OG's and miniature WRs.  Just a guess.

12 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

Absolutely.   I had said this before we let Manning go.   We had at least 2 teams (Cleveland was one) offering their entire draft plus some of the following years.    It could have been a Hershel Walker type deal that would have built this team up.   I don't even think Grigson could whiff on a whole draft with double the picks, and Clevelands would have been high draft picks.  

Manning played another 4 years.  He was really good for 2 in a half of those 4 years.  Yes he won a superbowl in his last year but the trademark of that team was defense.  We would be back to 2011 again this year and possibly plenty of years to come without Luck.  Luck is not the problem.  He is a franchise QB.  He needs a team around him.  Offensive line and defense in particular. 

44 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Manning played another 4 years.  He was really good for 2 in a half of those 4 years.  Yes he won a superbowl in his last year but the trademark of that team was defense.  We would be back to 2011 again this year and possibly plenty of years to come without Luck.  Luck is not the problem.  He is a franchise QB.  He needs a team around him.  Offensive line and defense in particular. 

Not with the wealth of good draft picks we would have had.   I think we would have won a Superbowl with Manning on a team with talent.   I've only seen a trade like this would have been once in my life and it lead to the receiver of the picks winning multiple Superbowls.   I'd take that chance.  

Luck hasn't been the problem.

Seeing as how Luck cost much less and the Colts still had problems putting together a team around him and Luck has always been one of the most hit QBs in the league and he's much more athletic than Peyton I don't think Peyton would have been better.  In fact seeing as Luck was hit so much he's been hurt and Manning had injury issues of his own without being hit as much as Luck I think it would have been a disaster.