Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you consider not drafting luck and keeping manning??

Trace Pyott

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No not because I think Luck will end up being better than Manning ( I never thought this) 

But because we wouldn't have won a ring if Manning had stayed here. Which would be the only reason to keep an aging QB around if he gave you a better shot at the SB(which based on past experience you would pick him) and people here would be resentful of the Colts keeping him and watching him decline like he did in Denver after 2.5 seasons there.

I do think if Andrew Luck never gets a ring here or even appear in an SB people (meaning media) will actually second guess such a decision.

Usually when teams make this move the young QB tends to win the SB afterwards.

Montana's last season.. Steve Young wins an SB for the Niners

Favre's last season.. Aaron Rodgers wins an SB for the Packers

Manning's last season he wins the SB with his new team.. Colts miss the playoffs while Luck is in IR.

That being said the one thing I have always claimed that people here never wanted to admit is that the only person who has truly benefitted(aka got the last laugh) from this was Manning not the Colts like everyone expected.

The Colts got nothing in return.

Manning got to go to a team that knows what they were doing

He got to appear in two more SBs and win 1(something he did in 4 years that took him 14 with the Colts) the Broncos sent him out as a champion something we wouldn't have been able to do for him. 

I was happy for him but I admit it was bittersweet considering he spent most of his career here and yet you can't really ignore his Broncos ties either. People can forget Montana's stint with the Chiefs and Favre with the Vikings but Manning with the Broncos is connected forever in SB lore.

If anything this is sad commentary on the Colts franchise the Broncos got more out of our ex QBs we drafted(Elway, Manning) than we do at this rate Andrew Luck might as well go for the trifecta because he doesn't have much of a shot winning a ring here unless major changes are made.

4 hours ago, COLTS7 said:

Love the thought ....since I have been saying that since Manning (GOAT) was cut- try explaining that to your grandchildren and hope they don't google his stats (post-Colts) 

the fact that about 90% of the human population still thinks it was the right move.....no comment 

ps- I felt that way even though at the time, I was convinced Luck would finish his career as the best QB of all-time, based on his first 5 years and the lack of consistent improvement, that seems to be a very unlikely scenario

I am still holding out hope that Luck will be the undisputed GOAT. He needs his Tom Moore though or a BB type. 

One thing I forgot to think about was luck took those early horrible teams to the playoffs and afc championship. Luck was great those first few years but was manning a better qb at that time??? Yes definitely. So I think we could of went just as far or farther had manning led that team plus added a few better players with the picks we got for luck.

Yes.  I would have kept Peyton and traded #1 pick for as many high draft picks as possible to strengthen the offensive line and make a solid defense for Manning's remaining years..  I believe the team should try to win the Super Bowl EVERY year.  Peyton went to 2 Super Bowls with Denver and could have taken Colts to these games.  Luck is a great player but we have wasted the first 5 years we have had him.  We could have drafted a QB using one of the draft picks we acquired and groomed him behind Peyton.   We need to build our team through draft with an occasional proven free agent.  Whoever has been making draft picks and free agent decisions for past few years is terrible.  

When you ask this question, you have to take two things into consideration. First, would keeping Manning for another 5 years at max get us another SB and outweigh the benefits of a young Andrew Luck for 15? Second, if we traded down and took a massive package for Andrew Luck and the #1 overall pick from a team, is there someone that could of been a game changer that could of helped Manning get us that SB while there was still time?

The answer to the first question is no. Manning had a neck problem, and Luck was a generational prospect considered the best QB since John Elway. You don't pass up on that. Second, I liked a guy called Luke Keuchly that is currently dominating in the NFL and still do. However, even in the best case scenario that we take him and someone else great in the drafts after, would it of really been enough to win a championship? There were 6 blue chip prospects that year in 2012. Luck, RGIII, T-Rich, Matt Kalil, Justin Blackmon, and Morris Claiborne. Now if I said I wanted Keuchly over all of them without hindsight, I'd be lying, so I won't say it. Kalil and Blackmon would of been decent choices at the time depending on how far we traded down, and Keuchly would have been the best choice with hindsight. 

Honestly, we weren't winning a SB. It's still to be determined if we will with Luck, but there's a shot. We did Manning a huge favor letting him go to Denver. The problem was not getting a 3rd round pick for him. Personally another draft or two around Luck and we'll see what happens. We have to hit on Defense, in both Free Agency and the draft at this point like Elway does.

15 hours ago, coltsva said:

The Rams got a boatload of picks for RG3. Five years later they still stink. 

What if the Colts traded the Luck pick and Lucks team goes 11-5 for the first 3 years, makes the playoffs all of those years, and those picks the Colts got are in the mid to high 20's? 

We'd probably still have a lousy team AND we'd be looking for a quarterback.

If it was Cleveland, those picks were not going to be in the 20's.   :lol:

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 3:43 PM, DougDew said:

My actual plan at the time was to trade the pick down several times and draft Nick Foles in the 3rd.  Not sure how that would have worked out.

I was a huge Peyton fan so I wanted him to stay in my heart. The whole organization was getting changed...not sure Peyton would have wanted to stay for that anyways with Bill and Caldwell and many of his teammates leaving so I guess it was for the best. That said I am a big fan of Big Ten qbs and I really liked Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins coming out. Honestly I really really like Russell Wilson and his leadership at Wisconsin. I never knew he would turn into what he has become but I was very impressed with the kid. To get one of those guys later to groom under Peyton I would have been thrilled but its water under the bridge. It worked out for both sides well enough. Peyton was surrounded with a good team and the Colts have a qb to build around for the next 15 years.