Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marlon Mack

Archer

I know that everyone assumes he’s gone, but I’m starting to wonder if he might be re-signed to a one-year contract.  After all, I’m not sure anyone’s going to give him a big multi year contract coming off this kind of injury.  And if he’s gonna have to settle for a one -year prove-it deal...well , Ballard’s not necessarily opposed to giving someone like that $10 million for a year, if it doesn’t extend out past that.  Mack probably won’t be ready to start the year, but that could give us the best one-two punch in football as we approach the playoffs.  And we know that CB thinks Mack is one of the best teammates ever...

Just now, Archer said:

I know that everyone assumes he’s gone, but I’m starting to wonder if he might be re-signed to a one-year contract.  After all, I’m not sure anyone’s going to give him a big multi year contract coming off this kind of injury.  And if he’s gonna have to settle for a one -year prove-it deal...we’ll, Ballard’s not necessarily opposed to giving someone like that $10 million for a year, if it doesn’t extend out past that.  Mack probably won’t be ready to start the year, but that could give us the best one-two punch in football as we approach the playoffs.  And we know that CB thinks Mack is one of the best teammates ever...

I would like to see him back.   I don't expect to see him back though.  

If no one else takes a chance on him I could see the Colts brining him back on a cheap one year prove it type deal.  However, with as many other needs as the Colts have and the somewhat limited cap space they now have and the fact they have a good one two punch with Taylor and Hines I don’t expect him to return.

If he doesn't get big payday I can see him returning on a small'ish prove it deal with us. I would love to have him on such a deal. I think our backfield will be pretty nasty with him and Taylor and Hines... BTW I think 10M is out of the question. I was thinking more like... 4-5M for 1 year. 

3 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Ballard will probably let him test the market and may or may not match a deal offered to him.  Personally, I believe an Achilles is a career killer for RBs and the Colts should move on. It’s terrible bc he was a great back for the Colts.  

I agree.  I feel terrible for Marlon.  But this is a business governed by both a salary cap (which is lower this coming year) and a 53 man roster.  JT’s progress, combined with MM’s injury, might make him a luxury we can’t afford...depending where his price tag lands.

Mack won't get a big contract from anyone. He's going to need a year to prove he can play at a high level again before he can hope for any sort of multi year deal. Honestly, do the Colts need him at this point? I love the guy, and want to see him succeed again, but the Colts have a solid stable of backs now, and many other priorities to fill. Even with a "prove it" one year contract, the money can be better spent elsewhere. Sadly, I believe his days as a Colt are over. 

I like Marlon it’s just a tough situation.  I think Taylor, Mack and Hines would easily be one of the best RB cores in the league.  That being said I’m not familiar with the ins and outs, how much pay he’s expecting and demands, ect.  How badly would it cut into Taylor’s reps also.  

This has been and will continue to be an interesting off season. 

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

With a reduction in salary cap for all teams, its going to be tough for some of the FAs to find homes at a decent level of $$

Its a long season in the NFL,  and I would LOVE to have Mack back, if the cash is right.

Didn’t they increase the salary cap?  I thought it went up $10 million.

12 minutes ago, Archer said:

Didn’t they increase the salary cap?  I thought it went up $10 million.

No. All season the league was saying the cap floor would be at 175mil. They changed that to 180 million but it’s still a net cut of 23 million approximately from the 203 million of 2020. 

1 hour ago, Thunderbolt said:

Why don't we draft Najee Harris from Bama as the 1 and 2 punch with JT. Harris being the bigger back would be the bruiser like the Fournette and Jones duo in Tampa.

You would trade up to draft a RB?    Glad you are not the GM.   The RB position is not a position of need right now.   

Just now, Myles said:

You would trade up to draft a RB?    Glad you are not the GM.   The RB position is not a position of need right now.   

Probably the furthest thing from it as of right now. Especially if we are somehow able to strike a deal with Marlon. 

Our backs are fine, the skill group is in good shape. We just need to scheme better this coming season, specifically in the red zone. 

I don't think so. I would take him back as cheap depth...but Mack needs an opportunity to put up some production while proving he is healthy, so he can secure a decent deal next offseason.

And I don't know if I see that happening here. After the rookie season he just had...are the Colts really going to limit his touches to accommodate Mack? I know that sounds insensitive...but it's the reality of the situation. Taylor will never be more valuable than he is right now...so use him. Plus, he is a better all-round RB than Mack.

I think Mack goes somewhere to be part of a 1-2 punch...with a focus on early downs. Probably will only be for a $1-2M though.

2 hours ago, Archer said:

I know that everyone assumes he’s gone, but I’m starting to wonder if he might be re-signed to a one-year contract.  After all, I’m not sure anyone’s going to give him a big multi year contract coming off this kind of injury.  And if he’s gonna have to settle for a one -year prove-it deal...well , Ballard’s not necessarily opposed to giving someone like that $10 million for a year, if it doesn’t extend out past that.  Mack probably won’t be ready to start the year, but that could give us the best one-two punch in football as we approach the playoffs.  And we know that CB thinks Mack is one of the best teammates ever...

First off the best one - two punch for a backfield is the Browns. Chubb and Hunt and solid. Now Mack to me will not get any big offers at all. He has proven to not stay healthy and just had a bad injury for a RB. He is going to get a 1 year small deal to see if he has anything left honestly. I would not be mad if we brought him back but it would be for like 2 mil and that’s it. 

49 minutes ago, bWild said:

I mean, it’s just hard to justify spending what it would take to keep him, only to take touches away from Taylor and Hines in the grand scheme. My guess is Mack takes more money in Philly. 

Its not worth 10M, but having an excellent RB2 you save wear and tear on RB1, and both may be more fresh in the playoffs

Let him test FA, if he finds a better deal, he leaves.......

If we have some $$ left over, it would be a nice add ($4-5M, maybe a little more, maybe less)

I say kick the tires on him and achilles and then maybe offer a small 1 year prove it contract.  Lol

Seriously,  I hope his recovery is near full and gets a decent contract with whoever for himself and his family. His past talent deserves that.

Hopefully it's with the colts.

A one year prove it deal with the Colts makes perfect sense for both sides. Coming off this type of injury, Mack should be looking at making the most of low volume carries. He doesn't need to put up numbers. His goal is to prove to the league that he still has that burst. Year 2 after the injury, assuming year 1 goes well, is when he would/could once again become the feature back on a team.

For the Colts, having someone besides Hines and Wilkins to share duties to keep JT fresh for the playoffs, would be a good thing too. A 17 game season adds to that need as well.

3 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

I like Marlon it’s just a tough situation.  I think Taylor, Mack and Hines would easily be one of the best RB cores in the league.  That being said I’m not familiar with the ins and outs, how much pay he’s expecting and demands, ect.  How badly would it cut into Taylor’s reps also.  

This has been and will continue to be an interesting off season. 

He's not going to be able to get much from anywhere.  He tore his achilles and a lot of players don't come back from that.  It's worse than an ACL tear.  

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I think there's a chance we keep some vets who many have written off, Mack and Hilton included.  

I could see Hooker falling into that category for us, as well as Hilton (though, I don't think Hilton's been 'written off' quite yet by many around the league).  I'd call Hooker and Mack (due to season ending surgeries) more guys who have been written off.

Personally, I think we'll see Mack as a New York Giant with him and Saquon both coming off season ending surgeries they can  split carries to help them both ease their way back into full health.

41 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think he is going to get a big contract. The best place for him is the colts on a one year deal for anywhere between 1-3 million. He is familiar with the team and it’s his best option if all he gets is a one year prove it deal.

He is the youngest RB UFA available this season. If he passes the necessary physicals, he will get a contract quite a bit more than that. 

Anything more than minimum for the Colts is a bad deal.

He isn't needed and is coming off of an achilles injury. Pretty much career ender for a RB. 

1yr $10m? Settle down

1yr $4-$5m still settle down. That's almost more money than Taylor has left on his whole 4yr deal. 

Why would we pay that much in a cap tightened season, when filling huge roster needs will be tough enough.

Anything more than $1m doesn't make sense.

EDIT: people are buying into him working out and getting treatment at the facility too much. Guys coming off injuries are the only ones allowed to and he was hurt while playing for us. It is what it is, nothing to read into.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Anything more than minimum for the Colts is a bad deal.

He isn't needed and is coming off of an achilles injury. Pretty much career ender for a RB. 

1yr $10m? Settle down

1yr $4-$5m still settle down. That's almost more money than Taylor has left on his whole 4yr deal. 

Why would we pay that much in a cap tightened season, when filling huge roster needs will be tough enough.

Anything more than $1m doesn't mame sense.

Even if he gets 1 million I think that is more then he has made in one year on the colts. 

I think it might take awhile to find out where he is going. Teams will want to work him out in person I would think. If another team offers him a two year deal he might take it. But if all the other offers are one year prove it deals I can see him coming back. He wouldn’t have to play much and can work himself back. It says a lot that he stayed here and helped Taylor and Hines. Have seen a few Instagram stories with him at the mall with TY and Campbell. Also out to dinner with them. The familiarity with this team if all he has is one year deals would be a easy decision. Ballard would bring him back for a year too at one to two million. 

I hope we bring Mack back.  By all accounts he was great in the RB room helping Taylor and Hines and Wilkins.   But if the base contract contract is modest, I would hope and expect that we include incentives.   If Taylor gets hurt and Mack becomes RB1 then he should be rewarded.   So fair incentives should be included and I’m confident Ballard would do right by Mack. 

Strangely enough, I ran into Marlon Mack at the Indy airport Saturday morning. He said his rehab is going well, and when I asked him about returning to Indy he said, "I don't want to play anywhere else." Probably meaningless in the big picture, but I thought it was a promising response. I also thanked him for sticking around this season to help coach the other backs.

1 hour ago, Hark said:

Strangely enough, I ran into Marlon Mack at the Indy airport Saturday morning. He said his rehab is going well, and when I asked him about returning to Indy he said, "I don't want to play anywhere else." Probably meaningless in the big picture, but I thought it was a promising response. I also thanked him for sticking around this season to help coach the other backs.

Thanks for being so classy @Hark   Appreciate you representing like that!    :thmup:

The return of the Mack on a low dollar, incentive laden, prove it deal, should at least provide an upgrade on Wilkins, with some excellent upside if he does manage to return to his previous level of play.

Pretty ruthless the RB position, you can see why they generally aren’t drafted very high anymore and tend to have relatively short careers, they seem to have a lot of pretty serious lower body injuries which can be difficult to overcome with what their job description entails. 

If there is no return of the Mack I hope he fully recovers from his injury and is able to have a productive career elsewhere. He developed nicely into a quality player for us. 

Archived